Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Electric Ireland to increase prices by 14.8%

Options
  • 27-08-2011 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

From RTE news piece
    ESB Electric Ireland confirmed today that its residential electricity prices will increase from 1 October.
    Electricity unit rates and standing charges at the company will increase by 14.8%, with the company blaming rising international prices for the change.
    ESB Electric Ireland General Manager Liam Molloy said: 'We regret that we have had to increase our electricity prices at this time.
    'We will continue to work with our customers who are facing difficulties in dealing with their electricity accounts,' he said.
    He said the company can no longer continue to absorb rising international energy prices without reflecting them in the prices it charges customers.
    'We have held off increasing electricity prices for as long as possible,' Mr Molloy said.

:( So 14.8% ...
    But ... apart from that Bord Gais was approved the price hike by 22% come october too ... ( link )

Its bad isnt it? times are tough and the utility services raise prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

over 40 years ago id say we realised that coal and oil and gas would run out.

so because ESB didnt bother investing money into rewenable energy, dam, hydro, tidal, wind and continued to pump money into oil and gas now we all suffer..

why dont esb begin to invest money into cheaper energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's nothing more than an organised extortion racket.
    According to the last annual report the company employs 7,870 staff, which would leave pay and pension costs for each employee costing on average €98,678 per head.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/average-pay-and-pension-of-esb-workers-near-euro100000-2065160.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I actually question if "international prices" being the reason why? I mean... greed after all. Its all around us. Especially within companies.

I dont know much about how ESB makes electricity. I admit that. But from that report, sounds like they use materials or something from other countries to produce it. But even with limited knowledge I reckon greed is still at hand. I mean 14.8%? is that really what is necessary? In reality a 8% (etc) rise could of sufficed? .. but why not slap more on... we'll likely never know. BUT HECK! lets be honest. they might not needed to of rasied it at all.

Even then, mark my words, even with this price hike. They'll be announcing lay-offs in the months to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fúck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Jagle wrote: »
    over 40 years ago id say we realised that coal and oil and gas would run out.

so because ESB didnt bother investing money into rewenable energy, dam, hydro, tidal, wind and continued to pump money into oil and gas now we all suffer..

why dont esb begin to invest money into cheaper energy
    While I don't disagree with your point, remember that this is Ireland and therefore there are fúck-all places to put a dam and when it comes to wind pretty much everyone is "not in my backyard".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fecking brilliant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Good fcuking lord give me strength. No doubt the nation will roll around and accept this price hike. Like always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

*Face palm*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thats shocking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I mean where do they think people will get this money with many struggling or just about managing as it is. The family at home are in a relatively good position as in they have no debts but things are still tough. I can't imagine what its like for those with a loan to pay off. This price hike is going to take more money out of pockets that are already empty or draining fast which means more unemployment. I know FF sent this country
    down the sh1tters but well done FG for continuing in their footsteps.

I wonder if people were to get up and protest against it would it reverse this plan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Good fcuking lord give me strength. No doubt the nation will roll around and accept this price hike. Like always

Obviously. Because we have no power, voice, influence or say. It's going to happen regardless. What should we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Adyx wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with your point, remember that this is Ireland and therefore there are fúck-all places to put a dam and when it comes to wind pretty much everyone is "not in my backyard".

Not to mention that tidal and wave are both pipe dreams and there are massive engineering problems with integrating large amounts of wind into a power grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Airtricity are hiking prices too due to ....an increase in the price of wind??!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It's Joe time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 terradactyl84

Obviously. Because we have no power, voice, influence or say. It's going to happen regardless. What should we do?

Hold on a second, don't we as the people of Ireland own a large stake in the ESB? Doesn't our money as taxes fund this semi-state company? Surely then we have a say in how it's run?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I can see two wind farms from my house. Wouldn't mind only one of the main bargaining chips they used at the time was that the wind turbines would make electricity cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

LighterGuy wrote: »

Even then, mark my words, even with this price hike. They'll be announcing lay-offs in the months to come.

Ha ha ESB announcing lay-offs.Even though there is no longer thousands of extra houses to connect up each year there will be no lay offs,I would not be surprised if there were pay rises!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Airtricity are hiking prices too due to ....an increase in the price of wind??!!??

Bit of an explanation of how the electricity market works here is needed. Generation and customer supply is separate here. Airtricity Generation will sell electricity into a centrally traded pool along with all other generators with the price set every half hour. The customer supply side of the company will then buy electricity from that pool and sell it to their customers, usually at a fixed price. When price set into the pool is low the company makes its money on the customer side where the price is fixed, and when the cost is high (i.e when gas is expensive or a peaking plant has to run) it makes money on the generation side.

In reality the amount of energy that Airtricity will be supplying into the pool will rarely meet the amount the will be buying from the pool to sell to their customers. Hence why they are susceptible to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

seems a bit odd, as in my experience with VDP the ESB just let people run up enormous balances without even trying to get them to pay some of the bill, and then usually just write it off as a loss. Presumably this is a way of making those who do pay their bills subsidise the increasing number of people who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Fantastic news. So, come October when it's getting darker and colder, we will all be stung with a double-whammy charge increase. Then the household tax in January.
    Next year is looking grim already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Fuck it anyway.

I got a letter from Bank of Fuckface yesterday as well jacking up my mortgage interest rates from October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I pissed and moaned about cartels in the bord gáis thread but looking at things in the UK, their utilities are facing almost identical price rises. Not excusing hikes in the sligthest but it has to be said that in the main, electricity generation on these islands relies on imported fossil fuels which are rising due to an y number of factos and will continue to rise in thr coming years and decades. It's not nice that we get these rises coming into autumn winter but tbh it makes sense since every country is buying up winter supplies to get them through and after the last two winters perhaps some are stockpiling extra to allow for another arctic season.
    All that said, the semi states here are still making a decent margin on the product they sell and there are plenty of issues surrounding staff wages/pensions and the size of the work force...although I doubt that any changes to those would really affect the average bill, they should still happen if only in the sense of fairness...the cut price energy bills for staff is one perk I don't think is that fair tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If only we had a massive resource of our own! Like I dunno a huge gas field or something!

(One that we hadn't given away basically for free).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

From wht I've heard, they needed to start putting up the prices last year. The price of energy has gone up across europe and the ESB are one of the last to raise their prices. They have been absorbing costs for a year. This is my cumulative knowledge...don't ask for sources!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 terradactyl84

Sky King wrote: »
    If only we had a massive resource of our own! Like I dunno a huge gas field or something!

(One that we hadn't given away basically for free).

Who are you going to rely on to actually take the gas from the ground and turn it into money? you think the only people in the world who can do will do it for free? what's the point then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ilovesleep wrote: »

Or just post angrily about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Have the ESB workers taken a hit across the cards like others?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Spread wrote: »

They can always hike the prices to increase their take home pay if they think they are going to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Spread wrote: »

No, and they don't have to pay the USC either and they won't have to pay water rates or the house charge next year either. They all live like Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

No, and they don't have to pay the USC either and they won't have to pay water rates or the house charge next year either. They all live like Kings.

why dont esb workers pay the USc like everyone else? that seems downright wrong if what you say it true

Advertisement