Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch to abandon Multiculturalism.

Options
  • 24-06-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Although I wasn't too surprised to hear Angela Merkel say that multiculturalism has utterly failed in Germany, and that Cameron and Sarkozy eluded to the same, in their respective countries. I am surprised to hear the laid back Dutch appear to have had their fill of it too.
    The Dutch government says it will abandon the long-standing model of multiculturalism that has encouraged Muslim immigrants to create a parallel society within the Netherlands.

A new integration bill (covering letter and 15-page action plan), which Dutch Interior Minister Piet Hein Donner presented to parliament on June 16, reads: "The government shares the social dissatisfaction over the multicultural society model and plans to shift priority to the values of the Dutch people. In the new integration system, the values of the Dutch society play a central role. With this change, the government steps away from the model of a multicultural society."

The letter continues: "A more obligatory integration is justified because the government also demands that from its own citizens. It is necessary because otherwise the society gradually grows apart and eventually no one feels at home anymore in the Netherlands. The integration will not be tailored to different groups."

The new integration policy will place more demands on immigrants. For example, immigrants will be required to learn the Dutch language, and the government will take a tougher approach to immigrants to ignore Dutch values or disobey Dutch law.

full article

http://www.hudson-ny.org/2219/netherlands-abandons-multiculturalism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sounds good enough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was going to write something witty about old
    dykes but it wouldn't be very multicultural:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

As long as they keep making the Gold they can do what they damn well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I will sling my hook and say good night, cant see this thread ending with a hug...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Overall I dont think Muslim parallel societys in western countrys are a great idea , especially when they are spewing out so much anti - western bile while living in them .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The only reason it fails is because it's a government model.. it'd work much better if it were allowed develop and exist naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The Americans had it right with allegiance to their flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

brilliant, another reason to like the dutch , bout time somebody stands up to them immigants, TUK R JIIIBS

no but seriously, this is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I for one welcome our new overlords of multiculturalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Nothing very surprising I think about the ruling center right coalition with the help of an anti-Islam party bringing in a bill like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The language one is interesting. Be hilarious if they brought that in for Ireland. All theses non-eu lads speaking better gaelige than us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It seems fair enough.

Dutch cop : stops you on the street '' Spaek Neatherlandski ''?

You : '' sure why would I need to do that when most of you lot speak english anyway '' ?

My sister speaks dutch anyway so no problems there anyhow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

marcsignal wrote: »
    For example, immigrants will be required to learn the Dutch language

This (like most stories about "multiculturalism") is bollix ! The Dutch government cannot force a migrant from an EU member state to learn any language. Besides what if the migrants in question can speak Frisian or Limburgish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The new integration policy will place more demands on immigrants. For example, immigrants will be required to learn the Dutch language, and the government will take a tougher approach to immigrants to ignore Dutch values or disobey Dutch law.

100% right IMO.If you live in our country you obey our rules, customs, laws , just as we do when we visit yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Orange bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Americans had it right with allegiance to their flag.
    All hail emperor flag!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    This (like most stories about "multiculturalism") is bollix ! The Dutch government cannot force a migrant from an EU member state to learn any language. Besides what if the migrants in question can speak Frisian or Limburgish ?

I'd say it refers to non-eu tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What the hell is a "model" of multiculturalism? How can you force multiculturalism? It's supposed to be a natural evolution..

But, whatever, it's their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

For example, immigrants will be required to learn the Dutch language
    Mike 1972 wrote: »

how'd you do that Mike 1972 ?? I didn't actually say that in my OP :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I'd say it refers to non-eu tbh

It doesnt say though.

Anyway any talk of abandoning "Multiculturalism" in the Netherlands is nonsense. Theyvve been multicultural for hundreds of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

The only reason it fails is because it's a government model.. it'd work much better if it were allowed develop and exist naturally.

eh not really. The government models exist because naturally integration failed in the 60's, 70's and 80's. So multiculturalism became a buzz word.

By failed I don't mean people didn't get along just people have a habit of sticking together ala Cork Street & Dublin 8 which is fast becoming Halal burger territory.

Not that it bothers me. I was never one for having St. Patrick's Day parades outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

how'd you do that Mike 1972 ?? I didn't actually say that in my OP :confused::D

Frisians only speak one word and that's "moo".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Frisians only speak one word and that's "moo".

I thought it was a new boards misquote button. That could be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Good. At least the Dutch are honest with themselves unlike us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

oh nooess they're are not abondoning there wimmins are they? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Thats the grest thing about recessions etc, they follow nice set patterns, Boom,Bust,Recrimination, Resentment, Right wing emerges, "they tuk ur jurbs", war, peace, relative prosperity while everything is rebuilt and toys are put back in prams, settled period, Boom,bust, etc,etc. Just repeat as often as required. Sequence slows dramatically when it finally goes too far at step 7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The laid back Dutch? Good one!

Advertisement