Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan RIP (condolences thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

RIP :(

He's been one of our local TDs for some time now here in Dublin West. My thoughts go to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

i have on occassions had the pleasure of meeting the man. no matter what you think or say, to me he was one of the more decent politicans we've ever had. he was mixed up with the wrong crowd, but like his father was made a scape goat. F.Y.I. for those of that thought brian was bad wait till you see whats around the corner.
    i ask you all that post attacks on brian lenihan
    "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."
    R.I.P. brian, you will be sadly missed by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Síocháin shíoraí duit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

When visiting my sister in Mater Private last month (she has since died from cancer) I saw him get out of the lift and thought the end looked near.

Condolences to his family and comments on other aspects of his life can wait for another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I am genuinely saddened by this.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

A terrible loss for his family.

My Condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

RIP to the man, not the politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Jesus he went fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dancing Brave

very sad for brian lenihan's family today, awful news, history will probably not be to kind to his role in nama and the financial disaster the country is in,but let there be no doubt that he acted with great integrity at all times, and acted inthe best interest's of the country as he saw it. R.I.P.BRIAN I think you were probably one of the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Musical tribute at end of Pat Kenny radio show - John McCormack sings "I Hear You Calling Me" (apparently a favourite of Brian's):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Too young to die.

RIP Brian.

Condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RIP Brian Lenihan.

I can't believe some posters here.

Thinking he deserved to die because of bank guarantee.

Unbelievable. Glad they don't run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Was brave of him to continue on as finance minister, yet I'd say bravery for the FF party, not the Irish people

He was the only prominent FF politician with any reasonable public support in the last few months of the FF-Green govt. Him staying no doubt kept them in office a little longer.

Similarly running for the 2011 election no doubt helped the FF image overall.

So sympathy for his family, horrible that a man his age gets cut down by an awful disease. Politically I do not have much time for him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

RIP, never doubted his commitment or sense of public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

While I am sad to see a 52 year old man die, and my sympathy goes out to his family, I don't like the self righteous, pompous attitde that some have by telling people they shouldn't say what they feel about it...even if I don't necessarily agree with their sentiments

R.I.P Mr. Lenihan

Sad on a personal level as cancer is. But don't be too quick to over egg the pudding with regards to his politics.

Remember, most of his legacy will be written today.. unopposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't like the self righteous, pompous attitde that some have by telling people they shouldn't say what they feel about it..

No doubt you also don't like the self righteous, pompous attitude of those who tell people what they should post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

RIP and condolences to his family.

oh, come on...
    he (among others) presided over the biggest scandal in Irish history, handing billions of banking debt over to the public and lied constantly to the same public about what was going on.

I for one am not sorry to see the back of him.

Ye may feel that's harsh but he imposed hardship and suffering on tens of thousands of Irish people due to his financial decisions as minister and did it all without regret and with a smile on his face.

If you lose your humanity then you have truly lost everything and are absolutely bereft and adrift in a sea of pointless hate and bile. You are only to be pitied.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

oh, come on...
    he (among others) presided over the biggest scandal in Irish history, handing billions of banking debt over to the public and lied constantly to the same public about what was going on.

I for one am not sorry to see the back of him.

Ye may feel that's harsh but he imposed hardship and suffering on tens of thousands of Irish people due to his financial decisions as minister and did it all without regret and with a smile on his face.

I am guessing a more considered and respectful comment on a man that has just passed away might have been asking a lot

RIP Brian Lenihan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TBWATER123

RIP - very sorry for his family!

Also I think it's ridiculous to say that ye're not sorry for him....All of us contributed to the current economic state of this country - with our incessant purchasing and selling of property, all eager to make a quick buck...this was not just the government's fault - it is a worldwide problem after all..primarily caused by consumer sentiment really!
    I think it is very easy to point blame at people, we have the benefit of hindsight and can give out about the government whereas they do not and have to make decisions be they wrong or right which they believe are for the good of the country! I'd love to know whether the people giving out on this thread have actually tried to make a difference to the state of the country!

I hope Brian Lenihan will finally be at peace now! I for one think that he tried his best!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I wouldn't have been a supporter mind you he was handed a nigh on impossible task ... leaving aside the politics he did always strike me as a decent sort of man.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I feel sorry for his family, but this is the politics forum so I will say that I will not miss him from politics. It's sad that he left politics through death. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Heard it on Pat Kenny today, res in peace Brian. I don't know how he managed to keep going. Kenny seemed a bit upset too at the end of the show when he said 'R.I.P Brian' guess he got to know him well after the budgets he presided over. Sombre few weeks with Brian's death and Garret Fitzgerald, though Garret lived to a fine age, sadly not the case for Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

A true patriot, a less than perfect human, the same as the rest of us, who did his best for the good of the nation, was he soley responsible for the state of this nation, I don't think so, please step forward all the irish bankers and european compadres who shovelled the loans over here, and all the cappachino property developers who were not cattle prodded into borrowing insane amounts of money etc etc, there is plenty of blame to go round, how anyone can lay this at the door of a single deceased man, reeks of revisionism of the worst sort

RIP, the country is a lesser place without him

How is it that some people can always see the splinter of wood in someone elses eye, when they can't see the plank in their own

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

EU statements:
    Message of condolences of Commissioner Olli Rehn on the passing of former Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan

It is with great sadness that I have learnt this morning of the passing of Brian Lenihan. Brian displayed great personal courage, strength and dedication to the public good, during a period of exceptional economic challenge in the life of Ireland and Europe. Brian's extraordinary personal and professional contribution, have ensured that he is and will always be held in the highest esteem by those of us who worked with him in Europe. In placing his duty to the nation above his personal difficulties, Brian Lenihan has provided us with an outstanding example of public service. I would like to convey my condolences to his wife Patricia, to his children, to his mother and to his family on their enormous loss. This is a loss which will be shared by many people across the political spectrum in Europe, who have had the honour to know Brian Lenihan as a politician and as a person.
    Personal statement from Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn on the death of Brian Lehihan TD

Brian Lenihan was a shining beacon in Irish life.

His personal courage in the face of devastating health news while coping with very difficult economic news was exemplary. He never let up. He never let go. His commitment was total. Even when he was really ill and should perhaps have been spending more time at home, he responded to what he saw as a personal imperative: to meet the huge economic challenge for Ireland and for Europe as a whole.

The courage with which he faced his diagnosis was matched by the unselfconscious directness with which he answered questions about it. No self-pity. No sense of unfairness. Life dealt him a bad personal hand and a dire political hand, but he wasted no time on repining over either. He was that best of politicians, a man committed, always and ever, to the public good.

I worked very closely with him in recent years particularly. He was the member of the Irish Government with whom I necessarily had most contact. We talked at least once a week, and sometimes twice or three times a week. When he attended Ministerial meetings in Brussels, he nearly always managed to meet with me. Although we enjoyed each other’s company - this was a warm, witty man filled with natural charm - he was always focussed on Ireland and on what was the best thing to do in the economic maelstrom within which he was forced to operate.

What was most significant about his impact on people in Europe was exemplified by the fact that he was the only Minister universally referred to by European Commission members by his first name. Not by his title. Not by his full name. Everybody who talked about Ireland talked about Brian, knowing that everybody present immediately knew him in that casually intimate way.

His passing robs us of a profoundly good man whose management of his illness was, in itself, a triumph of understated valour.

I would like to convey my deepest condolences to Brian's wife, Patricia, his children, his mother, brothers and sister.

Go dtuga Dia solas na bhFlaitheas dá anam uasal.

Máire Geoghegan-Quinn

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Very sorry for the mans family, I must say he was a dedicated public servant and im sure he had a good heart, Very young to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

RIP Brian.

I think, given Ireland is such a small community, that this thread should be for respects, and a different thread on his legacy discussed here or in more relevant and moderated forums ( like Politics) in a respectable time after the burial.

This is just respect for the dead. Obviously such respect wouldn't apply to monsters like Saddam, Mladic, or Bill Cullen on their deaths, but Lenihan was a decent man even if you disliked his economic policy, or the one forced upon him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Today is not the day to discuss Brian Lenihan's political legacy. A horrible disease has robbed a family of a father and a husband. For today at least let's leave the politics out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement