Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan RIP (condolences thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

On PK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

RIP - surely criticism of him as a politician can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

This is not a time for pro FF or anti FF rants.

RIP Brian Lenihan

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Political views aside I feel sad for Brian and his family, it cant have been an easy last few years so I offer my deepest condolences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Not an admirer of his certainly in the last 3 years but then I think no matter who was at the helm the same or similar decisions would have been made ! very sad for his family RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

RIP. My thoughts are with his family. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

One of the few politicians I had any great time for, even though he was involved in some disastrous decisions.

RIP Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

May he Rest in Peace, my thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends. He was a good man who bravely battled a terrible illness whilst doing an impossible job, and for that he gets (and got) my respect. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I do sympathise with his family and friends and it's a great shame that he has passed away. However I would seriously question his judgement in continuing in office when he was very sick.
    T runner wrote: »
    Clearly huge personal sacrifices in time (with his family) and health were made since his diagnoses. That is admirable.

Is it admirable or stupid to try and do that job when you are very ill and may not be able to fulfill your duties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

eigrod wrote: »
    RIP.

For those who say he put his country before his health, he certainly did, but to the detriment of both the country & his health, imo.

When the diagnosis was first made, it was clear that the life expectancy & chances for full recovery were very low. Personally, I think he should have stepped down at that stage because nobody with that illness could give 100% to what was the most important job in the country at that time.

Thank you for putting into words what I have so far failed to do.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Sincerest sympathies to the Lenihans and all who will feel his loss. RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

RIP Brian. He was a good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

He had a very tough portfolio, and has now paid the ultimate sacrifice. Linked or not, his health cannot have benefited from the pressure of his work as minister for finance.

I am sorry that he has passed and wish condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It says a lot for his stature that he was re-elected in Dublin West despite a near obliteration of the Fianna Fail party.

Sad to see someone die so young. Shocking even though we knew for a long time he was sick.

I dont want to see mainstream media fail to criticize his policies simply because he is dead now. He was a very sick man and his judgement may have been affected - he should never have been put through the terrible stresses of being in charge of Finance while the country was going through the worst recession since the 1930s.

I hope history blames the department of finance and the rest of the previous govt cabinet as Lenihan was clearly too sick to be making huge judgement calls the poor man.

Let this be a lesson to all of us - life is short, work/life balance is very important

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

While I have zero respect for his policies, and also felt that he should have stepped down on his diagnosis, it is a sad day for his family and friends; he was very young. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

A rare beacon of intelligence in Irish politics - my sympathies and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Certainly wouldn't have agreed with his politics and I think people will be inclined to view his career through rose coloured glasses in light of his early death but nonetheless, it is a personal tragedy for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I can't believe he battled on so long if he was that sick. I think any one of us would have said "Feck it, I'm off to spend time with my family." if we were in his position, especially after the fallout from the decision. My opinion of the man (not his party or policies) has gone up.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

RIP ... deepest sympathy to his family

Terrible pity he wasn't Minister for Finance instead of the gobsh1te from Clara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Callan57 wrote: »

Terrible pity he wasn't Minister for Finance instead of the gobsh1te from Clara

Eh? - He was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I had met Brian on a number of occasions over the last few years, a true gentlemen who despite what some would say he really did have the wider good of the nation at heart.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Did not know the man, and I will readily admit I did not respect him or his politics.
    And I am not going to change that opinion now that he has passed.

But I do know what it is like to lose multiple family members to pancreatic cancer and it is a very slow death sentence that really only serial killers would deserve.

I could not fathom why he kept the job of minister of finance.
    Not a great way to spend your last precious days.

No matter what one says about him he did have the guts to stand for election unlike many of his lesser colleagues.

The ones I trully feel sorry for in this are his children.
    They have lost their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

a great Irish Man who made the best of a bad situation R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Gulliver wrote: »
    I can't believe he battled on so long if he was that sick. I think any one of us would have said "Feck it, I'm off to spend time with my family." if we were in his position, especially after the fallout from the decision. My opinion of the man (not his party or policies) has gone up.

RIP

In my opinion self-sacrifice that denies common sense is not a virtue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement