Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan RIP (condolences thread)

Options
  • 10-06-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

As reported in Thejournal.ie: http://www.thejournal.ie/breaking-brian-lenihan-has-died-153146-Jun2011/?utm_source=shortlink

THE FORMER MINISTER for Finance Brian Lenihan has died.

He died in the early hours of this morning.

Sources close to the Dublin West TD confirmed to TheJournal.ie, that Lenihan – who had been suffering from pancreatic cancer – died at his home in west Dublin with his family by his side.

More to follow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Just heard on the radio that Brian Lenihan has lost his battle with pancreatic cancer and died.

Condolences and sympathies to his family. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I know there have already been 2 previous occassions when he apparently "died" but according to breakingnews.ie sadly it's true on this occassion.

Official announcement expected at 11am. My sympathies to his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just heard there. He's been sick for a long time now. Condolences to his family. Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Clearly huge personal sacrifices in time (with his family) and health were made since his diagnoses. That is admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Very sad, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Very sad news....He will be a great loss to the nation. And his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I never agreed with his politics, or what he did when in power, but he persevered nonetheless despite his illness, and the weight of the economic disaster he had to deal with. I suspect his hands were tied given the economic straightjacket the country was in.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Very sad news. Rip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RIP, sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Did he take a sudden turn? He was in the public eye until very recently anyway. Admirable for how hard he worked during the illness. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm abroad at the moment and somewhat shocked at reading this.

The timing of his death has shown me that he sacrificed his own personal battle for that of our country over the last number of years.

Everyone has their opinion on his political/economical history but one thing is certain that he put his country first.

You'll be missed, Rest In Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sad news indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm far from being an FF supporter but very sorry to hear this - a young man who tried his best to do his duty. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sonkal

Just heard the news, very sad, my thoughts are with his family at thiis very difficult time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Terribly sad news. Perhaps the only figure to come out of the last government that the public had any respect for. Dignified to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,850 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The man put the country before his health and family!!

People might not agreed with his policies but his hands were time by the old powers of FF.

RIP Brian

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RIP Brian. Sad loss to political life imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 A Plague On Both Your Houses

Damn.

He was and still is respected. I know if I had a cancer I'd just take my early retirement and live the rest of my life on some Island.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

RIP, it is always sad to see someone die with young kids. I'm not an FF'er, and I believe he had good intentions. He should have resigned when he was diagnosed to give himself the best chance of recovery, but he soldiered on. That, at least, is worthy of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not on RTE or the Irish Times websites yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

oh, come on...
    he (among others) presided over the biggest scandal in Irish history, handing billions of banking debt over to the public and lied constantly to the same public about what was going on.

I for one am not sorry to see the back of him.

Ye may feel that's harsh but he imposed hardship and suffering on tens of thousands of Irish people due to his financial decisions as minister and did it all without regret and with a smile on his face.
    Troll, not the time for comments like this. Have some respect.... ffs. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

On the RTE News now!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Rest in peace and sympathies to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

whippet wrote: »
    i'm abroad at the moment and somewhat shocked at reading this.

The timing of his death has shown me that he sacrificed his own personal battle for that of our country over the last number of years.

Everyone has their opinion on his political/economical history but one thing is certain that he put his country first.

You'll be missed, Rest In Peace

He was a true patriot and made huge personal sacrifices for the good of his country. May he Rest In Peace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement