Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Synapse - Multiplayer Squad Based Strategy

Options
  • 27-05-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Anybody else picked this up? I preordered just before release, and it's been giving me massive waves of nostalgia for the good old days of squad tactics games (Laser Squad, X-COM, Jagged Alliance).

This really is starting to look like the golden age of indie game development...if anybody else buys this game, let me know, we'll have a match!

(also, I'm loving the Introversion style graphics!)

$19.99 (but you get one copy free, so it's really $10 each (possibly euro, if you're in Ireland)). Plus, the code you get from buying from the devs activates on steam too, so if you buy it, buy it on the site - more money for the indies.

Buy meeeeeeee

Reviews

Eurogamer - 9/10 - Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Cool, I didn't realise this was released. I've been waiting for it since I first heard about it ages ago. Have to gie it a shot over the weekend, if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I bought it last night.

here is a vid of it describing the game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What an amazing game! Never heard of it til I came across it last night , bought it instantly.

So simple but my god.... one of the best games of the year surely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have an extra Steam copy if anyone wants it by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Me pretty please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Argh - beaten to it - should have asked before watching the vid :pac:

18,39 euro on steam btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've had it a little over a year now. I still have my second code somewhere I think.
    Was hoping the official release would increase the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looks cool. Must give it a go. Simple concept and graphics but it looks like it ties together perfectly.

@wayne040576: If you find that second code, could I blag it off you? Pwetty please?! :D

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hmm seems good. if anyone wants to buy the game and only needs one copy PM me and we go 50/50 as I only need the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This looks class!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Korvanica wrote: »
    This looks class!!!!
    Limericks wrote: »
    Hmm seems good. if anyone wants to buy the game and only needs one copy PM me and we go 50/50 as I only need the one!
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Looks cool. Must give it a go. Simple concept and graphics but it looks like it ties together perfectly.

@wayne040576: If you find that second code, could I blag it off you? Pwetty please?! :D

I spent a few hours on it last night, and it's been a SERIOUS drain on my attention in work today too...fantastic game.

You can play it as casually as you like, or while you're waiting for an opponent to arrange his moves you can have another game running at the same time - I think I have about 8 games running concurrently at the moment, still waiting on moves from some opponents last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks very like Laser Squad/X-Com. I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Laser Squad is the main influence, as far as I know! (so naturally X-Com is in there too? :D )

Kazuma wrote: »
    I spent a few hours on it last night, and it's been a SERIOUS drain on my attention in work today too...fantastic game.

You can play it as casually as you like, or while you're waiting for an opponent to arrange his moves you can have another game running at the same time - I think I have about 8 games running concurrently at the moment, still waiting on moves from some opponents last night.

Note to self: don't buy until Monday at least...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

PM sent

Eurogamer has a review up
    9/10

Damn :( Cracked and bought it. Great game! Plenty of variety. Simple concept but a tricky one at times!

Played one match online - should have ground out the win but didn't trust my gut instincts and got picked off. Didn't get to upload to YouTube - think servers are taking a beating. But I like that the options are there so quickly, conveniently and easily.

Plenty of replay value I would say between restarting levels changing aspects, the quick skirmishes, the custom skirmishes and of course, the online.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Damn :( Cracked and bought it. Great game! Plenty of variety. Simple concept but a tricky one at times!

Played one match online - should have ground out the win but didn't trust my gut instincts and got picked off. Didn't get to upload to YouTube - think servers are taking a beating. But I like that the options are there so quickly, conveniently and easily.

Plenty of replay value I would say between restarting levels changing aspects, the quick skirmishes, the custom skirmishes and of course, the online.

I was just about to send you the key.

I couldn't send it until I got home and logged into the game.

:D Typical. My impulses get the better of me! Ah well, a friend is going to take the second copy anyway and I'm sure yours won't go to waste!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Looks interesting. And it works on Mac.

Colour me interested... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Had total biscuits videos lined up for my usual Saturday viewing and had a huge dirty grin across my face watching this one :D
    Definitely grabbing this, dont suppose anyone has a spare code :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

^ I'll go 50/50 with you on a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

One of the games of the year! Incredibly good loving it so far.

My second online match (and first win). Porting to YouTube is so easy! Especially now that servers and connections are being a bit more stable. I have now learned that chat is recorded if present on screen - good to know!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

My second game. Loving this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This game is amazing! only played one online so far as im workin through the single player... won it though :D ...

Add me if ye like: Korvanica

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

grizzly wrote: »
    PM sent

I've not heard back from Limericks, so if anyone else wants to go halfs let me know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing the campaign atm and every time i play i end up with a bloody headache with the neon blue ghostly visuals.
    Never ever had issues with other games.
    I have a nice spec 32" screen,even toned down colours but still no joy :(

Man this game is so addictive. Just played a Skirmish with AI on highest difficulty in preparation for my mulitplayer campaign :pac:

Got well beating but I had three lucky manouvres with my shotgun when the rocket across the map had prefired twice prior to the next move, giving me the chance to run right across the room and I ended up shooting him from behind :P

• Advertisement

Latest multiplayer escapade:

FLAWLESS VICTORY

Servers are taking a hammering. Unfortunately this means that YouTube uploading can be a little bit shakey. It also means that players appear on different servers. My original games were on a master server - two have not finished and I cannot watch / upload the replay of the third. It also means that some of the highlighted games cannot be watched. It's a pity, especially as this is a great feature.

Currently playing on UK1 for simplicity sake...

🤪

Advertisement