Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EuroVision in HD on RTE2 ?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Is there any chance that the eurovision will be on rte in HD. I presume it will be recorded in HD in germany.

Maybe its too much of a risk for rte, to test HD with such a big audience

it would be interesting to see HD content on dtt (other than the windmills and donkeys we had last year)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The first semi final was upconverted yesterday, so I would assume the one tomorrow will be upconverted. The final is only on RTE One

The final will be on BBC one Hd in glorious HD and thats where I would be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The final will be on BBC one Hd in glorious HD and thats where I would be watching it.
    Hopefully with better presenters than the bubble-headed BBC3 crowd.:p
    I had to turn it off as it was hard to know which was worse the acts or presenters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hopefully with better presenters than the bubble-headed BBC3 crowd.:p
    I had to turn it off as it was hard to know which was worse the acts or presenters:)

I think it's Graham Norton on Saturday night. I think Patrick O'Connell ( a friend of mine) is doing tonights semi. Though I agree the others are bit bubble headed. I still miss Terry it's not the same without him. Sorry just checked it's Sara Cox and Scott Mills whoever they are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭tlaavtech

I think it's Graham Norton on Saturday night. I think Patrick O'Connell ( a friend of mine) is doing tonights semi. Though I agree the others are bit bubble headed. I still miss Terry it's not the same without him.

BBCHD is showing the semi's as well as BBC Three, so you can enjoy Jedward in HD (:confused:)

• Advertisement

tlaavtech wrote: »
    BBCHD is showing the semi's as well as BBC Three, so you can enjoy Jedward in HD (:confused:)

Sorry off topic but does anyone else find that pair creepy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sorry off topic but does anyone else find that pair creepy?
    I just want two of whatever they are taking:)

Sara Cox and Scott Mills are Radio 1 DJs afaik.
    Come back Terry all is forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

tlaavtech wrote: »

Jedward in HD and Dolby 5.1 on BBC HD/Three. Wonderful!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Patrick O'Connell ( a friend of mine)

name dropper :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Only 5.1 ahhh go for 7.1 dolby trueHD to really enjoy their "singing" :p

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    name dropper :p

Sorry couldn't help myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Looking upconverted now on RTE Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Going a bit off topic.
    The first of the championship GAA matches are on this weekend. Will they be shown in true HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Going a bit off topic.
    The first of the championship GAA matches are on this weekend. Will they be shown in true HD?

No HD broadcasts until the official public launch according to RTÉ, expected later this month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    No HD broadcasts until the official public launch according to RTÉ, expected later this month.

It was expected last Wednesday, but it did not appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Going a bit off topic.

The original plan was that the championship would be shown in HD. However, as the Dept of Communications forced RTÉ to move HD content to the second mux, proper HD broadcasts may be delayed until Sept.

Apogee wrote: »
    The original plan was that the championship would be shown in HD. However, as the Dept of Communications forced RTÉ to move HD content to the second mux, proper HD broadcasts may be delayed until Sept.

Even after the Ministerial decision (Feb 2011) the Saorview FAQ v2.0 (Mar 2011) indicates HD programming will be available from the public launch in May, by Sept 40% of RTÉ 2 output will be full HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Were you forced to watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

Even after the Ministerial decision (Feb 2011) the Saorview FAQ v2.0 (Mar 2011) indicates HD programming will be available from the public launch in May, by Sept 40% of RTÉ 2 output will be full HD.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A thought occured to me. Is RTE 2 the same channel as RTE 2 HD Select?

Is that why it has to be on the second mux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

barnicles wrote: »
    Looking upconverted now on RTE Two.

So it's downconverted somewhere along the signal path ( the original is in HD ) then upconverted again!
    Although it is said that 576i sourced from HD and downconverted looks better than native 576i

Is RTE 2 the same channel as RTE 2 HD Select?

Yes.
    Is that why it has to be on the second mux?

By placing it in the second mux additional spare capacity is made available on 2 FTA muxes for future channels and services.

Yes.

By placing it in the second mux additional spare capacity is made available on 2 FTA muxes for future channels and services.

So it IS a scheme to force RTE NL to double their costs and put them under pressure to get more channels in play. As I said before, the ghost of Ray Burke still walks the corridors of the Dept.

Under that scheme we will have enough capacity for 8 or more channels. There are only plans for two more channels, Film and Oireachtas. Where are the other 6 or more coming from? Shopping and slappers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

The big problem is that had the commercial multiplexes not been torpedoed by RTE NL and their bond - TV3 would have had free carriage on the OneVision multiplex.

Now TV3 and TG4 are faced with paying RTE NL for their Saorview coverage and I hear a complaint has been launched by one or the other with the BAI over the scale of RTE NL's transmission charges.

There is I believe a major conflict of interest with RTE NL providing Saorview and what they propose to charge TV3 and TG4 - RTE NL needs to be removed completely from RTE ownership because no matter what Chinese walls are erected inside Montrose these guys all come from the same RTE gene pool and will work in RTE's interest at the end of the day.

I might add that the BAI itself is almost the old RTE Authority with a nice seperate office and with former RTE insiders in charge I wonder if any of these complaints will get upheld.

Where are the other 6 or more coming from?

A question for the BAI and Dept of Comms - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195645

A question for the BAI and Dept of Comms - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195645

So the BAI are looking around for shopping channels and slappers to fill up the empty and unrequired second mux so that RTE 2 HD Select can have company on it.

At the present time, without the two state funded extra channels (and we all know about the state funding), there is no requirement for the second mux. So why enforce its use?

Advertisement