Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 Build advice

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

I now have the funds and I am going to build a new machine mainly for PS5 but also with some light gaming.
    This is what I am looking at am I going overboard?

Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Retail

Cooler Master HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil

Special item: Gigabyte GA-X58A-USB3, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express

Intel Core i7-950 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366

Point of View GeForce GTX470, 1280MB DDR5

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, SATA II (HE103SJ)
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14, AM2/AM3/775/1156/1366
    12GB Mushkin DDR3 PC3-12800 Redline Ridgeback (7-9-8-24) Triple Channel kit (3x4GB)

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Case, SSD, Hard drive are all good choices.

Mobo/CPU - Get an i5-2500k instead. Cheaper, better and can be overclocked with ease. The ASRock Pro3 (or Extreme4 if you plan to SLI/Crossfire) would be good motherboards for it.

RAM - 8GB should do you fine. Something like this:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44314&agid=1193

GPU: GTX 470 is hot, power hungry and overpriced. A 6950 or 560 Ti would be a better choice. At the current prices, the 6950 is best value for money.

PSU: Way overkill. If you want to Crossfire 6950s then get the SuperFlower Amazon 650W. If not, then the 550W version will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks Deconduo,
    Would the 560ti be a better option for cs5 as opposed to the 6950 as I heard somewhere that Cs5 works better with nvidia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Pretty much everything deconduo said is spot on, except for the 6950. It's certainly a better option for gaming, but if your primary focus is PS5, then you want NVIDIA.

As he also said, the 560Ti is a better option. It's slightly less powerful, but runs a lot cooler, and quieter.

Thanks lads.

I had no idea about NVidia + CS5 but it does seem to make a difference. Apparently a GTX 460 is enough to max out the extra performance the CUDA gives though. The 560 Ti is overkill for it, but for gaming its good if you are willing to splash out.

• Advertisement

How does set up look, or could I still save a few bob?

Samsung SSD 470 series 64GB Retail 6,4cm(2,5") SATA II
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9
    Cooler Master HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, SATA II (HE103SJ)
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W
    G GH22NS50 bare schwarz
    Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 Heatpipe Cooler 120mm

Thanks

Cheaper, better CPU cooler:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

The Crucial C300 from the first post was a better SSD.

Cheaper, better cooler, factory OCed 560 Ti:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43719&agid=707

The rest is good. If you wanted to save money you could get a cheaper case (HAF 912), or drop the SLI idea and get a cheaper motherboard and PSU. (ASRock Pro3 + SF Amazon 550W instead)

Cheaper, and much quieter DVD drive. The one you had selected is a freaking turbine when reading/writing. (unfortunately, I have the same one)

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44944&agid=699

Everything else looks good though. You'll have yourself a nice, well-rounded machine.

@ deconduo: SLI idea? I don't see anything like that in his spec. If you meant the SSD, personally I'd keep that.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Cheaper, and much quieter DVD drive. The one you had selected is a freaking turbine when reading/writing. (unfortunately, I have the same one)

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44944&agid=699

Everything else looks good though. You'll have yourself a nice, well-rounded machine.

@ deconduo: SLI idea? I don't see anything like that in his spec. If you meant the SSD, personally I'd keep that.

650W PSU + Extreme4 motherboard are only needed if you plan to SLI in the future. Otherwise you can get cheaper ones.

Thanks for all the advice lads, I will be placing the order later without the Dvd, I have one good one on the existing pc so why waste the money.

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    650W PSU + Extreme4 motherboard are only needed if you plan to SLI in the future. Otherwise you can get cheaper ones.

My 580 would like a word. I've pulled close to 600W from the wall before.

Yeah, I realise that means you could use a 600W PSU, but why not have the little extra in case you want to add hard drives, or more memory or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sorry, but that's not correct.

Overclocking the CPU, and a reasonably high end GPU will soon stretch the limits of a lower end 650W PSU.

His first choice of PSU was much better. Stable, efficient power supply.

Everyone appears to focus merely on the gaming aspect of this build, not CS5.

While 8GB would certainly be enough and the 2500K is very capable, I would wait and go for a Z68 motherboard in the next couple of weeks.

Reasons being:
    1. SSD cache. You can use a small portion of your SSD to cache your HDD, giving a huge boost in performance in regularly used applications - load times etc

2. You can use the in-built GPU on the 2500K for video encoding / trancoding should the OP ever need to do any video work.

3. Uses less power - as the discrete GPU will only ever be used when it needs to be, the on-die GPU in the CPU will be used for everything else.

AFAIK the 560ti is not in the Adobe approved list for CS5 gpu acceleration. A hack will be required to get ti to work.

I'd recommend a GTX460, save a few €€€ and be perfectly fine for ANY gaming - it also uses about 20-30W less power when loaded.

Depending on the size of the photoshop files etc you will be using, you may want more ram. At least getting the 2x4GB kit will allow a bit of expansion in this area in the future should you need it

If the OP has no plans for overclocking etc (if this is a work PC, stability is more important anyway) then the stock cooler is perfectly capable, so could save a few more €€ there.

Thanks Dublin-gunner,

I am not planning on overclocking (wouldn't no where to start). This machine is basically for photo editing. the gaming on it would be real light. I will dig a little deeper into the video card and mobo before I order.

Sorry, but that's not correct.
    Overclocking the CPU, and a reasonably high end GPU will soon stretch the limits of a lower end 650W PSU.

For a i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz, 560 Ti, 2x HDDs, DVD RW, cases fans, under full stressed out test, you are looking at 400W maximum. Even with capacitor aging etc, it won't even slightly stress a SF Amazon 550W. You can crossfire 6950s with the SuperFlower Amazon 650W, and if you are only doing a mild overclock you can SLI 560s as well.

My 580 would like a word. I've pulled close to 600W from the wall before.

Yeah, I realise that means you could use a 600W PSU, but why not have the little extra in case you want to add hard drives, or more memory or whatever.

If you are pulling 600 from the wall, after factoring in 80% efficiency thats still only 480W. Theres also a huge difference between a 580 and a 560 Ti

Curiosity, if I went with a larger psu and was pulling less power from it. Does this cause any problems? My old unit has a 900w psu in it I could swap this out as this pc will be reduced to a glorified word processor.

If you use a PSU that is at the limits of its performance (pulling too little or pulling too much power) it will be very inefficient. The end result would be a much higher ESB bill. You could also end up with some crossloading issues depending on how good a PSU it is.

For a i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz, 560 Ti, 2x HDDs, DVD RW, cases fans, under full stressed out test, you are looking at 400W maximum. Even with capacitor aging etc, it won't even slightly stress a SF Amazon 550W. You can crossfire 6950s with the SuperFlower Amazon 650W, and if you are only doing a mild overclock you can SLI 560s as well.

Yeah, great. An SF Amazon 450W goes above the minimum requirement of 30A for a 560 Ti by a grand total of 2A. For that reason alone, I'd be getting a 650W.

I never get why everyone here always tries to get away with the bare minimum when it comes to PSUs...

Edit: @ Bernard: PSUs are usually their most efficient at around 70% load. Usually, at 0-15%, they're horribly inefficient. Just make sure your idle power draw is enough, and you should be alright.

For reference, the below is efficiency from a 1250W Enermax PSU, but the same holds true for all, though it might vary a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2662/7

This is starting to go over my head a little:D.

Would it be safe to say the 650w psu will handle the 560ti and more ram if needs be?
    Also is it true that CS5 works more efficently when the ram is dividable by 3??, would I then be better getting 12gb instead of eight?

A quick google seems to show that the 560ti will support cuda but I will look deeper into this tonight.

650W will be fine now and into the future, yup.

That's a new one. I've never heard that, and I can't see why that would be the case. You could be getting confused with the X58 chipset, which uses tripple channel memory, requiring three DIMMs of RAM. With your setup though, it's better to have 4 or 8GB.

Can't comment on the 560's support in Photoshop; I just don't use it enough. ;)

• Advertisement

If you are pulling 600 from the wall, after factoring in 80% efficiency thats still only 480W. Theres also a huge difference between a 580 and a 560 Ti

Which means if he's pulling 480W - a MINIMUM of a 600W is required, so I'd ideally go for 100W above the minimum required, to account for PSU degradation, efficiency, upgrades etc.
    If you use a PSU that is at the limits of its performance (pulling too little or pulling too much power) it will be very inefficient. The end result would be a much higher ESB bill. You could also end up with some crossloading issues depending on how good a PSU it is.

Or indeed poor performance, random reboots, data loss, data corruption etc etc which IMO for a work machine are far more important factors than the couple of € difference in the ESB bill.
    Yeah, great. An SF Amazon 450W goes above the minimum requirement of 30A for a 560 Ti by a grand total of 2A. For that reason alone, I'd be getting a 650W.

I never get why everyone here always tries to get away with the bare minimum when it comes to PSUs...

Edit: @ Bernard: PSUs are usually their most efficient at around 70% load. Usually, at 0-15%, they're horribly inefficient. Just make sure your idle power draw is enough, and you should be alright.

For reference, the below is efficiency from a 1250W Enermax PSU, but the same holds true for all, though it might vary a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2662/7

I don't get it either. A good PSU will last for this build, the next one, and the one after that - and all upgrades in between. A decent PSU is an investment.

Also bare in mind that the minimum requirement doesn't take into account overclocking.

Id generally say anywhere from 50%-70% is their most efficient working conditions.

80 plus bronze requires at least 80% efficiency from 20% load to 85% load iirc

The superflower PSU's are decent power supplies, but I'd be going with their 650W unit at least, which has shown some very decent numbers in tests.

And I don't understand why people recommend 1000W PSUs for a single 5770.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-560-ti_4.html

Total of 12A on the +12V Rail under maximum load. The i5 draws about 8A under heavy overclocking. 32A is plenty, hell even a CX430 would run it and thats a P.O.S.

The SuperFlower 550W that I recommended is nowhere near the bare minimum, its overkill in fact. The SF 650W has 52A on the 12V rail and he'll be lucky if he's using 20% of that most of the time.

And I don't understand why people recommend 1000W PSUs for a single 5770.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx-560-ti_4.html

Total of 12A on the +12V Rail under maximum load. The i5 draws about 8A under heavy overclocking. 32A is plenty, hell even a CX430 would run it and thats a P.O.S.

The SuperFlower 550W that I recommended is nowhere near the bare minimum, its overkill in fact. The SF 650W has 52A on the 12V rail and he'll be lucky if he's using 20% of that most of the time.

Who recommended a 1000W PSU? And where is the 5770 coming into this?

The 560ti recommends at least a 500W PSU. The card itself (not overclocked) consumes 170W when stressed.

The entire decent PC will consume around 350W, so factoring in 80% efficiency as a rough figure, requires around a 450W PSU at LEAST.

Any bit of overclocking will dramatically increase the card and the CPU's power draw. Let alone any possible component degradation or additional components, or upgrades to existing components.

As I'd always aim for a PSU about double or a little less than calculated power draw from a system, 600 / 650W would be perfect, and should be in the PSU's maximum efficiency range for this build.

^ That.

In fairness, the OP said he wasn't thinking of OCing. Then again, I said that with my first build too. Two months later I'd OCed my processor from 3.0 to 4.2.

I don't have time to argue with you now, and its off topic. Needless to say you are wrong. I will post a thread about the matter tomorrow sometime however, there seems to be a LOT of misinformation about power supplies around the place.

I don't have time to argue with you now, and its off topic. Needless to say you are wrong. I will post a thread about the matter tomorrow sometime however, there seems to be a LOT of misinformation about power supplies around the place.

ok. I must be building PC's wrong the past 16 years so.

I have to say thanks to all on this thread for your advice.

I ordered the parts on Friday from HWS had them monday fairly impressive.
    Put it all together on monday night and yesterday.
    Gave it a run with some heavy photoshopping to test it out and I am one very happy camper.

Again thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Get some fast hard drives and raid them. If your going to be working on large files it will become a bottle neck, I'm noticing slow down on my system working with a 1gb file. I'm assuming it's the hard drive as nothing else is taxed.

I set up my raid for redundancy so I don't think it helped with speed.

Advertisement