Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI-ORD going to GWO to be scrap

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

my mate is cabin crew for EI, She says that bird is a "bucket" lol

I also have a number of friends who are crew for EI and none of them notice any major difference in -ORD and the rest of the fleet.

So in absence of all that, I would like to get the opinions of line pilots or engineers on what makes this a/c a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I also have a number of friends who are crew for EI and none of them notice any major difference in -ORD and the rest of the fleet.

So in absence of all that, I would like to get the opinions of line pilots or engineers on what makes this a/c a bucket?

do sure and let us know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

do sure and let us know.

Im waiting on someone here to tell us. The armchair experts have written it off, but I would like to see the true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I cant imagine them saying the same. No Aircraft under FAA and EASA are "Buckets".

Those Cabin crew should keep their unqualified , uninformed opinions to themselves, as now the public may presume Aer Lingus were operating a Aircraft that was a Bucket, when Im sure the truth is light years away, and its a insult to the Engineers and mechanics and EI as a company IMO.

kona wrote: »
    I cant imagine them saying the same. No Aircraft under FAA and EASA are "Buckets".

Those Cabin crew should keep their unqualified , uninformed opinions to themselves, as now the public may presume Aer Lingus were operating a Aircraft that was a Bucket, when Im sure the truth is light years away, and its a insult to the Engineers and mechanics and EI as a company IMO.

im sure she didnt mean it was covered in rust and not air worthy.

Just the same way people have a car that just passed the NCT and still refer to it as a bucket.

Dont get your knickers in a twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STEVE35

Interesting article saying that she will be parted out.

http://airlineindustryreview.com/aer-lingus-a330-to-be-scrapped/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+airlineindustryreview+%28Airline+Industry+Review%29

It says...."EI-ORD was one of the first A330s delivered to Air Inter, and had a lower MTOW as they were planned to be operated on French short-haul routes. The short-haul routes driven up the aircraft’s cycles to a higher number than most other comparable A330s.
    Due to the lower MTOW, and with Dublin’s shorter runway, the aircraft had some range issues operating one of EI’s long haul routes, ironically to Chicago ORD."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry for the stupid question but what is MTOW?

Maximum Take Off Weight? 94 makes the ac only 17 years old. That's not very old really. Gosh you'd want to be making money out of routes to justify the expenditure on an a/c given that life expectency!

im sure she didnt mean it was covered in rust and not air worthy.

Just the same way people have a car that just passed the NCT and still refer to it as a bucket.

Dont get your knickers in a twist.

Well to me a "Bucket " means its a piece of **** , that constantley is broken and doesnt work. Im sure alot of others picked it up that was as well.

Your friend shouldnt go around saying things like that to anybody, its poor form and makes her sound like a gob****e.

Well to me a "Bucket " means its a piece of **** , that constantley is broken and doesnt work. Im sure alot of others picked it up that was as well.

Your friend shouldnt go around saying things like that to anybody, its poor form and makes her sound like a gob****e.

You Need to grow up mate and stop taking things to heart :)

It was said in Gest.

You Need to grow up mate and stop taking things to heart :)

It was said in Gest.

I suppose I do need to grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I suppose I do need to grow up.

It was an early A330 and it may well have been problematic in later years, Im sure Airbus have changed a couple of things over the years and the current A330 is probably far superior to the initial first A330's built.

Like a car manufacturer learns from their Maintenance garage ,the information is passed on to the design engineers in production and problems or designs are improved to make the Aircraft more efficient and safer

It was an early A330 and it may well have been problematic in later years, Im sure Airbus have changed a couple of things over the years and the current A330 is probably far superior to the initial first A330's built.

Like a car manufacturer learns from their Maintenance garage ,the information is passed on to the design engineers in production and problems or designs are improved to make the Aircraft more efficient and safer

I said that above too :) , but did anybody call DUB a "Bucket"? I dont know how many cycles were up on the Airframe, but if that Aircraft was in anyway a "Bucket" EI wouldnt use it.

It was parted out because its at the end of its life, its CoA is up and to get it renewed would have cost big $$$. Not because it was a "Bucket", however maybe the Galleys wernt up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STEVE35

ORD, Waiting her fate in BOD!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

STEVE35 wrote: »
    ORD, Waiting her fate in BOD!

Sad to see an aircraft be scrapped....

Heres a picture of her in better days, heading home to Ireland:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4510918868/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

Blue Punto wrote: »
    EI-ORD MSN059 was delivered to Air Inter as F-GMDD in June 1994 and joined the EI fleet in March 1997

EI-ORD begins her final journey today as EI2122 BOD-BGR-GWO. Departs BOD at 1100z/1300L. I'm sure she will overfly Ireland on her way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    all aircraft have individual personalities by which I mean that some aircraft are more prone to snags than others, ie, some aircraft are electrical maintenance nightmares and others aren't. Some leak and some don't, and so on.....EI wouldn't part with it without good reason. I don't know first hand, how many hours and cycles are on the airframe and engines but if it's got to the stage where an overhaul, which might include replacing engines and avionics will cost more than the aircraft's value, then it's time for the chop.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Was this decision made before EI decided to turn the three A330's order into A350's ? If so will EI need to replace ORD soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

mle1324 wrote: »
    Was this decision made before EI decided to turn the three A330's order into A350's ? If so will EI need to replace ORD soon ?

I would guess NO to the first part and say No to the second.

The 2010 FY results made mention of EI having a surplus A330 that they were proffering for sale. The same results were the announcement of the order switch to A350's.

Thus at that point they were still hoping to sell her on and they would not need to replace her.

Can any of the mechanics or engineers here confirm what I heard today about what may or may not have happend today?

PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

What would the scrap value of ORD be - are we talking hundreds of thousands of dollars or 1 or 2 million ?

• Advertisement

Can any of the mechanics or engineers here confirm what I heard today about what may or may not have happend today?

PM me :)

what did you hear happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

There are a few more recent photos of her in Bordeaux on this website.

http://www.pictaero.com/en/search/search?i1=19466&a4=EI-ORD

what did you hear happened?

I dont want to say in a public forum incase, as it being 3rd hand info, may be not accurate.
    But I understand ORD is still in Bordeaux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I dont want to say in a public forum incase, as it being 3rd hand info, may be not accurate.

Well from what I saw today, that was certainly the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

jeez I'd love to know the scan......what's the story?

I dont think it really matters considering its only hearsay.

Unless its sumtin major lol

I dont think it really matters considering its only hearsay.

Unless its sumtin major lol

In context, it potentially is if its true.

now i really want to know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

That's just teasing!!

ya big flirt!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Wasn't EI-SHN the first A330 to be delivered to EI? Followed by EI-DUB, EI-ORD, EI-CRK??

And EI-SHN is still flying with Air Asia!
    EI-CRK went to Vladivotiask Avia!

Advertisement