Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitelink Changes Announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dowlingm wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure drunk-and-in-charge-of-a-bicycle can be called offside by the Guards.

Im just back from Barcelona, the can manage their bicycle scheme 24/7 without nannyism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nitelink was originally not subsidised but it has been operated as a subsidised service for some years.

have you got evidence of this as if it is the case surely Dublin bus must now allow free travel pass holders use Nitelink services free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Won't (or shouldn't) happen. Would heavily decimate city centre business at the weekend (as it already has done on weeknights). People would think twice about town if they knew they had to allow another €50 on top of whatever they spent on drink to get home afterwards (and a wait of a few hours to get a taxi). That's a lot of pints in a local late bar. The likes of Coppers would survive, but a lot of smaller places wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

icdg wrote: »
    Won't (or shouldn't) happen. Would heavily decimate city centre business at the weekend (as it already has done on weeknights).

People who make decisions about Dublin City Centre = Dublin City Council

People who make decisions about (and pay for) Dublin Bus = DB Management, the National Transport Authority and the Dept. of Transport.

Just because it's bad for Dublin has no impact on how Dublin Bus is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Fantastic :rolleyes:

It's a heavily used service (well anytime I've been on it).

DB really seem to be trying their best to piss off as many customers as possible, destroying routes with ND, prices up and now chopping Nitelinks :mad:

Cookie_Monster, would the 46N be considered a heavily used service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dunno, only got it once. Normally get the 7N which is generally quite busy apart from maybe the first one of the nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Patton should open up a new service between collage green and Dalkey on the hour after midnight. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Has the ending of Nitelink being confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

46N and 7N leave nearly full for every journey. 77N too. the 44 and 48N can leave with about 4-20 people on it at quiet times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Have you got evidence of this as if it is the case surely Dublin bus must now allow free travel pass holders use Nitelink services free?

A very good question,Foggy_Lad...very astute of you, as usual :)

I am also quite interested in how the formerly "Special Service" designation of the NiteLink`s has simply and suddenly been altered.

It does indeed raise the issue of the DSP`s Free Travel Scheme availability,which I would imagine would focus on exactly what percentage of the €5 fare the DSP were prepared to pay ?

Pray,do post whatever information you can glean from your sources ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The 'proof' of this is that the Nitelink is part of the public service contract. It is part of the overall subsidised network. By contrast the airlink services are not part of the contract.

The DSP and the PSC are not really linked. They are two completely separate schemes. It does seem a bit weird though. If it's essential enough to deserve a subsidy, why is it not essential for DSP customers?

There is no overall plan or logic with any of this. It's basically all about maximising cash-flow for Dublin Bus.

The 'proof' of this is that the Nitelink is part of the public service contract. It is part of the overall subsidised network. By contrast the airlink services are not part of the contract.

The DSP and the PSC are not really linked. They are two completely separate schemes. It does seem a bit weird though. If it's essential enough to deserve a subsidy, why is it not essential for DSP customers?

There is no overall plan or logic with any of this. It's basically all about maximising cash-flow for Dublin Bus.

There is also the issue of discrimination for free pass holders not being allow travel on subsidized services free, and I did think the dsp and psc were actually linked so thanks for clearing that up.

I know people who get private busses to Carlow late at night using their free passes so why should Dublin and suburban passengers with disabilities etc be barred from using their free passes on local services?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Could be a ploy by management to get commitment's out of the political party's in the run up to the election.But I think that could be to advanced thinking by DB management.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I know people who get private busses to Carlow late at night using their free passes so why should Dublin and suburban passengers with disabilities etc be barred from using their free passes on local services?

Thats an easy one Foggy,all it means is the DSP and the relevant operator sat down and agreed an amount of money to be paid over to cover these journeys.

I have little doubt but Dublin Bus would offer the Nitelink service "Free" to DSP Pass holders as soon as the DSP agrees to pay the relevant premium fare rate.

There`s no "Barring" going on here at all,just the business of commerce doing what it`s supposed to.

Ireland as a whole is only slowly (and painfully) becoming aware of the reality that there is no such thing as a Free-Lunch.

Every passenger who makes a journey covered by a (Legitimate) DSP Free Travel Scheme pass is having that journey paid for (at a discounted rate) by somebody in the contributing classes....thats neither good nor bad,its simply reality.

If twer up to me I`d immediately delete all references to "Free-Travel" from DSP literature and adopt instead the more truthfully accurate "Concessionary Travel" as utilized by our Nothern bretheren.....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Thats an easy one Foggy,all it means is the DSP and the relevant operator sat down and agreed an amount of money to be paid over to cover these journeys.

I have little doubt but Dublin Bus would offer the Nitelink service "Free" to DSP Pass holders as soon as the DSP agrees to pay the relevant premium fare rate.

There`s no "Barring" going on here at all,just the business of commerce doing what it`s supposed to.

Ireland as a whole is only slowly (and painfully) becoming aware of the reality that there is no such thing as a Free-Lunch.

Every passenger who makes a journey covered by a (Legitimate) DSP Free Travel Scheme pass is having that journey paid for (at a discounted rate) by somebody in the contributing classes....thats neither good nor bad,its simply reality.

If twer up to me I`d immediately delete all references to "Free-Travel" from DSP literature and adopt instead the more truthfully accurate "Concessionary Travel" as utilized by our Nothern bretheren.....:)
    To be fair Alex a large percentage of free travel passes are held by people who have paid more taxes during the 50s 60s 70s and 80s than most people who are working today will and these same paople were not claiming anything at those times because there was nothing to claim, now there is carers allowances home help grants are handed out to all an dsundry while years ago you would be told no you dont qualify and never will!

i would say disabled and elderly people aged 40+ have paid for the free travel through paying more taxes than todays workers during their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

i would say disabled and elderly people aged 40+ have paid for the free travel through paying more taxes than todays workers during their lives.

Elderly 40 year olds?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

To be even more fair Foggy Lad, I don't think the majority of OAP DFSA pass holders would be running with a kebab in one hand and €5 in the other for the last nitelink:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

To be fair Alex a large percentage of free travel passes are held by people who have paid more taxes during the 50s 60s 70s and 80s than most people who are working today will and these same paople were not claiming anything at those times because there was nothing to claim, now there is carers allowances home help grants are handed out to all an dsundry while years ago you would be told no you dont qualify and never will!

How would you feel about the ones getting on off their tits on heroin and methadone saying (he's with me bud). Nice uncomfortable journey home I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

A good day to bury bad news perhaps by posting it late afternoon on the day before Paddy's day?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Nitelink-Changes/
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers of changes to Nitelink services. The revised services will come into effect from Friday 25th March 2011. Please note in addition to the changes highlighted below Nitelinks will have revised times which are available by clicking on the route of your choice on the Nitelink page.
    College Street will no longer be used as a terminus point for Nitelink. Revised City Centre Termini for Nitelink are as follows;
    Westmoreland Street
    Route Bus Stop ID 25n CD 33n CC 39n CE 41n CC 42n CC 66n CD 67n CF 69n CF 70n CE 88n CF

D'Olier Street
    Route Bus Stop ID 7n CH 15n CJ 29n CK 31n CK 46n CG 49n CJ 77n CH 84n CG

Ticket Buses will not longer be on site. Customers can now purchase their tickets at the following ticket agents
    Agent Address
    Spar D’Olier Street
    Londis Westmoreland Street
    Colemans 9 Westmoreland Street
    O’Briens Sandwich Bar Westmoreland Street
    The following services will have a change to their routing;
    25n From Westmoreland Street Towards Adamstowm
    Revised Routing
    Thomas Street, James’s Street, Inchicore, Sarsfield Road, Ballyfermot Road, Neilstown Road, Lucan Newlands Road, Castle Road, Griffeen Road, Esker Road, Newcastle Road (Adamstown)
    Pick Up Point
    Thomas Street (Francis Street), The Penny Hill Pub Lucan
    42n From Westmoreland Street Towards Portmarnock
    Revised Routing
    Summerhill, Ballybough, Philipsburgh Avenue, Griffith Avenue, Malahide Road (Donnycarney), Artane, Coolock, Kinsealy, Feltrim Road, Seabury Estate, Malahide Village, Portmarnock (Sands Hotel), Wendell Avenue, Carrickhill Road, Strand Road, Portmarnock (The Bridge)
    Pick Up Point
    Malahide Tennis Club
    46n From D’Olier Street Towards Sandyford
    Revised Routing
    Kildare Street, Leeson Street, Donnybrook, UCD Belfield, Stillorgan, Galloping Green, Foxrock Church, Cornelscourt Hill, Ballyogan, Kilgobbin Road, Sandyford Village
    Pick Up Points
    Donnybrook Church, Stillorgan Park Hotel
    66n From Westmoreland Street Towards Leixlip (Louisa Bridge) via Glen Easton
    Revised Routing
    Parkgate Street, Chapelizod, Palmerstown Footbridge, Lucan Statoil Station, Lucan Village, Leixlip (Captain’s Hill), Leixlip Village, Glen Easton, Leixlip (Louisa Bridge)
    Pick Up Points
    Palmerstown Footbridge, Lucan (Statoil)
    69n From Westmoreland Street Towards Saggart
    Revised Routing
    Thomas Street, James Street, Bluebell, Naas Road, Monastery Road, Woodford Walk, Watery Lane, Clondalkin Village, Fonthill Road South, Nangor Road, Peamount, Newcastle, Rathcoole, Saggart
    Pick Up Points
    Point Thomas Street, Clondalkin Village
    88n From Westmoreland Street Towards Saggart
    Revised Routing
    Phibsboro Road, Botanic Road, Ballygall Road East, Glasnevin Avenue, Ballymun Road Civic Office, Poppintree, Finglas Village, Seamus Ennis Road, Finglas West, Finglas South, Finglas Village (Finglas Road, opposite Finglas Place), Ashbourne
    Pick Up Points
    Phibsboro Road (Shopping Centre), Seamus Ennis Road (opposite Finglas Credit Union), Finglas Village (Finglas Road, opposite Finglas Place)
    The following route numbers will no longer operate;
    27n – please see 42n for alternative route
    40n – please see route 88n for alternative route
    51n – please see route 25n and 69n for alternative route
    54n - please see 15n, 49n or 77n for alternative route
    44n - please see 46n for alternative route
    48n - please see 15n or 46n for alternative route

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Another small step in the decline of Irish living standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

That's great:rolleyes:,

The 46N will no longer terminate in Dalkey. However, it will be completely diverted to terminate in Sandyford Industrial Estate. That leaves the entire stretch from Foxrock Church to Dun Laoghaire and that from Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey completely screwed. Not even the mere mention of a replacement service!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The 46N will no longer terminate in Dalkey. However, it will be completely diverted to terminate in Sandyford Industrial Estate. That leaves the entire stretch from Foxrock Church to Dun Laoghaire and that from Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey completely screwed. Not even the mere mention of a replacement service!:mad:

+1 million

There's always passengers still on that bus after Dun Laoghaire. For feck's sake, whatever about Dalkey, leaving Dun Laoghaire with no service is madness (and I get the Nitelink beyond Dun Laoghaire).

Angry emails coming :mad: And much as I despise parish pump politics, the TDs will be hearing about it too, this is a Dublin region public bus service.

Edit: Actually apparently the 7n picks up in Dun Laoghaire. I never realised this for some reason. Not as big a deal, but still cutting off a fair chunk of the route between Foxrock and Dun Laoghaire. And like I said, there's always passengers for Glasthule, Sandycove and Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

+1 madness
    Breezer wrote: »
    +1 million

There's always passengers still on that bus after Dun Laoghaire. For feck's sake, whatever about Dalkey, leaving Dun Laoghaire with no service is madness (and I get the Nitelink beyond Dun Laoghaire).
    7n goes via DL and has a pickup point there

Are all these shop open until 4am?
    Spar D’Olier Street

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

They've also cut the amount of the services. So far, I see that that 49n has been taken from four services to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

all the feckin moaning folks, get over it. protest with your wallet. go local. and reduce your carbon footprint to boot.!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

thebullkf wrote: »
    all the feckin moaning folks, get over it. protest with your wallet. go local. and reduce your carbon footprint to boot.!

Go local? LOL! Foxrock has the distinction of being the the only Dublin "village" that has no pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Nine Days notice of route changes? Do the NTA not have rules about this sort of thing?

Ryanair give more notice of time and route changes than this ffs. On the other hand they are a profitable company and not a burden on the residents of this country.

thebullkf wrote: »
    To be quite honest, I don't give two fooks about my carbon footprint:mad:. I'd rather support city centre pubs and eateries that can open till/after 2.30am than be turfed out of a "local" at 12.30am and have no chance of a proper Indian or Middle Eastern eatery after a few pints.

This is yet another step to deminish city centre business and eventually destroy Dublin tourism due to lack of banter and craic from "locals" who are forced to "stay local"!!

Are all these shop open until 4am?
    Spar D’Olier Street
    AFAIK they are, I've often robbed a Saturday morning newspaper from O'Brien's 'complimentary' papers stand at 3am:o.

To be quite honest I never saw the point in the ticket buses when there is so many 24hr newsagents open. There's even a 24hr Londis on Dame Street where I normally pick up my ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Go local!? There's one pub near me and its awful. And now I also have no nitelink service 54n is gone and I don't fancy a 25 min walk home from the nearest "alternative". F*** you Dublin Bus F*** you very much.

Advertisement