Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue in Tipp or surrounding counties

Options
  • 08-01-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have tried the wedding thread but was pointed in this direction. I’m from Tipperary and would like to get married in Tipp or surrounding areas/counties. I ideally would like a wedding venue that is cheap, elegant, picturesque and most of all romantic.
    I have looked at a few locations ie newpark hotel clonmel, hotel minella, cahir house and kilcoran lodge. I would love some feedback on these locations and if possible recommendations on others.

Thank you.
    mrsmurphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

How about Aherlow house hotel http://www.aherlowhouse.ie/
    We attended a reception there in early November and everything was great. The meals were lovely and service was quick. They also have lodges for hire if guests wanted to stay on a few days themselves.
    If you are looking for a church might I suggest Lisvernane church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Cahir house would be a bit "picturesque" it has some nice gardens and a big conservatory type thing beside the function room, last time I was there was 2003 so it may have changed. They have had very good deals on over the years.

Some people love Raheen house in Clonmel, I went to a wedding there once and wasn't crazy about it. It's small-ish and I think the maximum capacity is 120 guests and the wedding I was at had the absolute maximum possible and it felt a bit cramped. But for a smaller wedding it would be OK, I heard they also do civil ceremonies there too but I guess most hotels would now. They too had beautiful gardens and a lovely beer garden in a type of courtyard setting, but if you get a wet day they are useless so you really need something inside the hotel too

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Have you considered The Lakeside Hotel in Killaloe? Which strictly speaking is in Ballina as its on the Tipperary side of the Shannon.

http://www.lakesidehotel.ie/#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

PURELY from the point of view of making sure there's a good atmosphere for the dancing later on.....(I'm a musician and have played at hundreds of weddings!)

A small venue with a big crowd might be a bit cramped but you'll probably have a good atmosphere.

A big venue with a small crowd is a sure way of guaranteeing no atmosphere and people will be reluctant to get up on the dancefloor no matter how good the band or dj are.

So, whichever venue you decide on, make sure that the crowd will fill or nearly fill it. Remember also that for every 10 evening guests who are invited, you can expect only about 3 to turn up.

As you've probably noticed already, almost all venues nowadays will do deals if you haggle!

Finally, when you've booked everything, checked everything, double and triple checked everything and everybody, let everybody else do their job and just concentrate on having a great day! Best of luck wherever you decide to hold your wedding and/or reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you're going to head that far north then consider the Nenagh Abbey Court Hotel

http://www.abbeycourt.ie/

Beautiful hotel and do a great job at weddings. I worked there a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My wife is from Cahir so I got married there :)

Looked at loads of places and settled on Dundrum house hotel, near Cashel. Lovely venue, family owned with apartments for rent as well as rooms in the hotel and the wedding coordinator there (we had Deirdre) was excellent. Got some great discounts and Deirdre saved us a lot of money with her suggestions so they weren't out to rip us off!

The service was amazingly quick, the food was fantastic and plentiful and the staff were brilliant. I'd definitely choose it again if I was doing it all again.

There is also a golf course and leisure centre if any of your guests wanted to make a long weekend of it. Some of ours did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well it's Co Clare but it's just across the Shannon in Killaloe so not far at all
    http://www.kincorahall.com/

A small, cosy hotel.
    Attended a wedding there, a place worth considering

The morning after the wedding the wedding party took a boat out for a spin on Lough Derg and drank champagne.
    It's something different :) The hotel has their own marina

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Been to Dundrum a good few times (but never for a wedding) but I think it would make a lovely location for a wedding with the golf course. Also could look up Inch House in Drom - it has a lovely location in an old country house surrounded by fields. Also was at Cashel Palace for a wedding. Nice spot but didn't like that all the people couldn't fit in one room but depends on size of the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Holycross abbey followed by durrow castle. I know durrow is in Laois but it's near tipp!!!!!!

Do not like dun drum had very poor experience there. Would not go back. What size wedding? What part of tipp or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We had our wedding reception in Aherlow House and can't fault the place. The setting is stunning, the staff are lovely, the food was great, the atmosphere for the dancing after was brilliant and the price was completely reasonable. We didn't even need to haggle with them - in comparison with other quotes we got we felt that they were doing us a favour.

My sister got married recently in Dundrum House. Again, she dealt with Deirdre who is a total star. She gave some brilliant discounts. The hotel is beautiful and excellent for photos etc no matter what the weather. My only quibble with the place is that there is absolutely no atmosphere in the evening. I've been to three weddings there and it's always the same - no one wants to get on the dance floor. I think it's just too big. If you like the place, make sure you ask them to do something about that - leave some tables around the edge of the floor or something to make it feel a bit more intimate.

Inch House only caters to 60 guests, Cashel Palace will do 120 at a push and are overpriced for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Cahir House...pituresque??? I don't think so(but maybe when you see it so often its loses its beauty)
    My siblings have used Aherlow house and Dundrum, both beautiful and great service.
    Other smaller places are kilcoran(but its very close to a road), ballyglass house(near tipp town in woods, cheap and suitable for small wedding) knocklofty (near clonmel, also for smallish weddings)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Jinxi wrote: »
    Cahir House...pituresque??? I don't think so(but maybe when you see it so often its loses its beauty)
    My siblings have used Aherlow house and Dundrum, both beautiful and great service.
    Other smaller places are kilcoran(but its very close to a road), ballyglass house(near tipp town in woods, cheap and suitable for small wedding) knocklofty (near clonmel, also for smallish weddings)

I was at a wedding at knocklofty last year. Thought it was horrible. Impressive place but very hard to create atmosphere.

I would advise anyone booking a wedding to take out insurance. I heard a rumour today about one particular Co. Tipperary hotel that might be going into liquidation. Not from the most reliable source so I won't be posting any details, and I have heard such rumours about other hotels before (eg when Dundrum was being sold and that hotel seems to be doing just grand. So take out insurance or pay your deposit by credit card so you'll get it back if things go belly-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Attended a wedding last October in The Ballykisteen Hotel at Limerick Junction which despite the name is of course in Tipp.

Had a wonderful weekend, great meals, great service.

The lodges are really good especially for families and great value for a gang of lads or lassies or 2 or 3 couples.

The happy couple were very happy with the value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

II have heard such rumours about other hotels before (eg when Dundrum was being sold and that hotel seems to be doing just grand.

Yeah four years ago when I was getting married we also heard the same rumour about Dundrum being on the verge of being sold (amazing how friends always want to give you one more thing to stress about :D).

We asked Deirdre at Dundrum and she laughed about it, apparently, she gets the same question from loads of couples every single year about the place being sold :) One of those never ending rumours. I suppose one year it may eventually come true and then the rumour spread will be able to say 'I told ya so!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tippgirl10

hi,

has anybody been to a wedding in aherlow in past year or so, we're looking at it for later this year, and while i think its fab location, it is getting a little worn looking, especially the furniture in the bar..

i've never been to a wedding there so just find it hard to imagine!

the other option is cashel palace, just love the elegance of it, but would have to keep it to 100 so we could just use the one room, probably not bad idea to keep numbers down though!

anyways, if anybody could share experiences, i would be very grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Ballykisteen Hotel was recently voted the winner of the ''Munsters Best Wedding Venue for 2011''. I have a relation getting married soon and has it book, she said there prices are very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Was at a wedding in Kilshane a while ago. Amazing venue, great food, nice accomodation. Top notch.

tippgirl10 wrote: »
    hi,

has anybody been to a wedding in aherlow in past year or so, we're looking at it for later this year, and while i think its fab location, it is getting a little worn looking, especially the furniture in the bar..

i've never been to a wedding there so just find it hard to imagine!

the other option is cashel palace, just love the elegance of it, but would have to keep it to 100 so we could just use the one room, probably not bad idea to keep numbers down though!

anyways, if anybody could share experiences, i would be very grateful!

We got married there 4 years ago so can't really comment. You should ask them when they have some weddings booked for and go up before the meal when the function room is all set up and see what you think. And if you can, come up another evening to see what you think of the set-up for the evening reception.

To be honest, I think once the place is full of guests you don't notice any of the frayed bits. Personally I feel the quality of the services on offer at Aherlow is substantial enough to let them off over a few shabby bits of furniture. You may have higher expectations than me though, or prefer elegance to country charm. Best to go up and see a few weddings actually taking place there if you can.

• Advertisement

Was at a wedding in Kilshane a while ago. Amazing venue, great food, nice accomodation. Top notch.

I'll leave it top of my list so (serious wishful thinking!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Jinxi wrote: »
    We got married in ballyglass and if it is a budget wedding you couldnt ask for better,it might look a little jaded in the cold light of day but scrubs up well on the day,we thought it was just about right for 80 people and bar will keep going if thats your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

mayhem# wrote: »

.ie doesn't work.
    .com instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'll leave it top of my list so (serious wishful thinking!!)

We stayed there for 3 nights in converted stables. Bride and Groom got married in an old greenhouse with a fountain in the middle. Gorgeous! The hall where you have dinner is amazing, so pretty and loads of space for dancing! Food was also quality.

I do get the impression it would cost a fortune though... Well, we can dream!

Well it's Co Clare but it's just across the Shannon in Killaloe so not far at all
    http://www.kincorahall.com/

A small, cosy hotel.
    Attended a wedding there, a place worth considering

The morning after the wedding the wedding party took a boat out for a spin on Lough Derg and drank champagne.
    It's something different :) The hotel has their own marina

Kincora Hall has been closed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Taceom wrote: »
    Kincora Hall has been closed for years.
    I can assure you that the Kincora Hall in Killaloe is still open. However, I'd recommend the Lakeside Hotel in Ballina/Killaloe.

http://www.lakesidehotel.ie/wedding-venues-clare

http://www.discoverloughderg.ie/Introduction/LoughDergsTownsVillagesHarbours/KillaloeBallina/

"The Lookout" is a fabulous place to have photographs taken as well.

http://www.discoverloughderg.ie/Introduction/LoughDergsTownsVillagesHarbours/Portroe/

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I can assure you that the Kincora Hall in Killaloe is still open. However, I'd recommend the Lakeside Hotel in Ballina/Killaloe.

Seriously??? It looks derelict with broken windows and everything.

I'd say your mixing it up with Galloping Hogans. Galloping Hogans was boarded up for years but it was recently renovated and has re-opened as Flanagans. (It is under new ownership) It's a fab place just beside the lake.

http://www.discoverkillaloe.com/flanagans.htm

• Advertisement

Was just thinking any derelict hotels in Killaloe/Ballina and maybe it is the Watermans Lodge you were thinking of. That was sold a couple of years ago but it was lying idle for a while. I believe that it has recently been converted into a nursing home.

Advertisement