Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Agreed. The easiest 'tell' is the thinner leading edge extension on the vertical stabiliser. Exhaust port is different, too.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Moran: that periscope shot, not Beharry's Warrior from the Al Amarah fun and games was it?

No, that's Moran's Abrams from the Balad fun and games.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

NTM

Seriously

Seriously.

NTM

• Advertisement

still serving or joe civvie now

Both. Guardsman.

NTM

NTM
    jaysus that was close to your noggin wasnt it? Jundi know how to piss off tankies dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    5510072578ed2ee0d1e6b.jpg
    A U.S. Soldier with the 10th Special Forces Group and his military working dog jump off the ramp of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment during water training over the Gulf of Mexico March 1, 2011, as part of exercise Emerald Warrior 2011.
    Lovin it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I can understand what the muzzle is for, id want to bite the f*cker after throwing out into the sea like that.

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »
    jaysus that was close to your noggin wasnt it? Jundi know how to piss off tankies dont they?

Actually, I was more pissed off with myself, because I didn't notice it at the time. It wasn't until I was out of the tank that I saw it. Usually shooting at us is most appreciated, because it takes the most difficult part of the job out of the equation: Finding the opposition. Once they shoot at you, you've found them.

What really irks us tankers are the land mines. Repairing a track is a fairly labour-intensive process, and you can't shoot at anyone to relieve the stress. Worse when you're on your way back to base and looking forward to a nice cup of coffee.
    U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Erick Martinez, a military dog handler, carries Argo II over his shoulder on Hill Air Force Base, Utah

That dog looks somewhat bemused.

NTM

Actually, I was more pissed off with myself, because I didn't notice it at the time. It wasn't until I was out of the tank that I saw it. Usually shooting at us is most appreciated, because it takes the most difficult part of the job out of the equation: Finding the opposition. Once they shoot at you, you've found them.

What really irks us tankers are the land mines. Repairing a track is a fairly labour-intensive process, and you can't shoot at anyone to relieve the stress. Worse when you're on your way back to base and looking forward to a nice cup of coffee.

NTM
    IED's taking your track off could be seriously bad, specially if it sticks you in one spot... not quite easy to repair it and slot.... Iraqi persons of balistic interest' at the same time... especially if they are thoughtfully shooting at you. I guess its one form of motivation to make your armoured boys move faster :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Just a little bit of useless trivia on that photo of what(I believe) is a photo of the first female Recruit Platoon to come into the DF.

One of the women in that photo later on in their career came awfully close to becoming the first woman in the DF to pass Selection.

bloody good for her... Pity chances are she didnt pass because of her birth certificate, not her performance.

Brass is brass, regardless of country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Poccington wrote: »
    One of the women in that photo later on in their career came awfully close to becoming the first woman in the DF to pass Selection.

Have there been many applications for selection by female members of the PDF? Well, rumour/hearsay at any rate?

Also; first woman to pass? Have there been any that have passed since, if that would be known of course ?

Lemming wrote: »
    Have there been many applications for selection by female members of the PDF? Well, rumour/hearsay at any rate?

Also; first woman to pass? Have there been any that have passed since, if that would be known of course ?

There's a few that I know of, numbers don't seem to be too high though. It'd be rare to hear of a female on Selection.

No females have passed Selection since it first began. She just apparently came quite close, although the ground phase eventually did her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Usually shooting at us is most appreciated, because it takes the most difficult part of the job out of the equation: Finding the opposition. Once they shoot at you, you've found them.

Post of the day, Mr. Moran.

We appreciate your knowledge and the time to answer questions on this forum. Thank you.
    Repairing a track is a fairly labour-intensive process, and you can't shoot at anyone to relieve the stress.

I heard a rather gruesome story last weekend (which I don't even want to think about again, let alone retell here) about an accident while retracking a Warrior on exercise in Canada. Please take care.

Clarification please
    "Selection"
    Selection for what? Is that for the ARW?

OzCam wrote: »
    Post of the day, Mr. Moran.

Heh...

My current unit is 11th ACR. The motto in Vietnam was "Find the bastards, then pile on." Once you find the opposition, it's much easier to kill them.

From a thread once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154045
    For a quiet little part of the war, it’s pretty darned busy. We could see at least five fire fights within ten kilometres of us in our OP as we watch our area (which we think mortars might launch from). The worst of it hit some 1ID guys and resulted in some 15 casualties, I’m told. (Including one Bradley?). Due to the compartmentalization of the battlespace, we weren’t allowed to go charging to the fire fight, though we’d have been there in ten minutes or less in most cases. Finally, however, at about 22:00 we get a change of mission and go get sent to create a checkpoint on the road and try to nab some of the ambushers as they drive back from their ambush. For some reason, we drop the AT platoon, so we’re now down to four tanks, and the command Hummer.

Off we go, and we go careening down the road. We stop at a traffic cone in the middle of the road, apparently there’s an Iraqi police station there. After a little checking to confirm that the guys with the AKs were actually police, we go around the corner and go another.. oh… 400meters, maybe less.

The following will be told twice. The first time is what I saw as it happened, the second is what really happened as after I was discussing things with my lads.
    We enter a slightly open section, and there’s a lot of popping. Takes me a fraction of a second to think ‘Hey.. that sounds like there’s another ambush going on. We must be near it, wonder how easy it’ll be to find it?’

The next thing which goes through my mind is.. “Well, would you look at that. Tracers.”

I don’t actually remember figuring out that they’re coming at me. I do remember yelling ‘SCAN RIGHT!!!’ Neither do I remember anything between that point, and looking in the GPSE at a target. Dropping into the hatch, mucking around with the seat, moving forward, doesn’t seem to have happened.

I see the most perfect target I could ever expect to see in my career in the thermal sight. A guy crouched, and running parallel to us, carrying what appears to me to be an RPK. (Initially thought it was an RPG, but I don’t think so).. I call for the platoon to stop (Took me a second, my usual response to an ambush is to drive through it, but hey.. I’m in a sixty-ton tank!), and also yell ‘RPG right!’ on the radio.

“Gunner, coax, troop”. Gunner has already flipped the toggle to ‘coax’

Then a ‘Clunk-thunk-unk’, the sight picture jumps around and I lose sight of the guy. Mutual curses from myself and gunner, he plays with the controls, and I have a target again. The person I’m looking at in the sight has no weapon, both hands are in his pockets, and he’s kind of casually standing around. There’s a built-up area near as well. I cannot be 100% sure it’s the same guy I saw two seconds earlier with the RPwhatever, and so don’t shoot. He strolls around, as if he’s a spectator, than after a minute or two, casually walks off.

We’re left cursing our luck. There was so much fuming going on in the tank, you could probably see steam escaping out the hatches.

OK, this is what really happened.

We drive along, and the enemy open up with an ambush consisting of at least two RPGs and two automatic weapons. Interestingly enough, the ambush is from both sides of the road at the same time. They’re evidently not worried about crossfire, though it does complicate things for us. RPGs fly in front of two of my tanks, one of which detonates on the far side, the other, near as we can tell, did not detonate at all. The tracers were all agreed to be high, possibly they were aiming for TCs. An inspection of the tanks later don’t indicate any hits by even small arms. The actual shooting lasted about three or four seconds, it was over bloody quickly. My lead tank’s loader got off a 16-round burst at one chap, he says he’d be surprised if the guy lived given the range, but I’m not optimistic. Nobody else got off a shot. Indeed, to my knowledge, mine was the only gunner to actually acquire a target. They let off one burst, and went to ground. What we think happened is that they’re not used yet to the concept of a whole bunch of tanks in our area, (Apparently my company has only one less tank along than the entire 1st ID) and thought they had another APC convoy going through (M113s, Brads). They launch their attack without knowing that we were a little stronger than that, but after we stopped, slewed the turrets, and that 240 burst as well, I think they probably all copped on, and decided that discretion was the better form of valour and scarpered.

I yelled to scan, and myself and my loader both dropped like rocks. As for what happened to my tank, it transpired that we traversed back far enough that we hit the inhibitor which prevents the gun from hitting the back deck. Unfortunately, what I didn’t know at the time was that whilst I lost sight of the guy with all the jumping around, the gunner did not (effectively a wider field of vision through the GPS than the GPSE I think) and saw the gentleman in question place the weapon on the ground. I didn’t find out about this until much later. Had I known, we’d have killed him. My gunner thought I knew. Hence my not being sure if I have a killer instinct: I think anyone else in the platoon would have shot him, but I didn’t. Then again, at the time he had the weapon, I had no doubts about commanding ‘fire’ at all.

Terrain involved some irrigation ditches, we couldn’t follow. There was a set of triple concertina wire, followed by the ditches. An attempt by myself to maneuver around the side resulted in the tank pitching forward at a horrible angle, and so we decided not to go forward. Six decides that they’re going to at least get the weapon that the guy dropped, so they get out on foot, have a tank lead and crush the wire, and so the dismount element of two captains and their driver goes out into the zone and starts hunting around for this thing. An hour later, they still haven’t found it. The terrain sucked, it wouldn’t have been too hard for the guy to push the weapon into the mud just under the surface. In the meantime, the tank that was used to crush the wire now has it wrapped around the sprocket, and so is limited in manoeuvrability. It then gets stuck in the ditch, listing at about a 50 degree angle, with the left track wedged in the ‘V’ at the bottom of the concrete ditch. Joy. So now we have to cut the wires, and of course, the sprocket with the wires trapped around it is the one on the threat side. Out hops the E-4 with the wire cutters. Another E-4 joins him, and I figure that I may as well stand out there too and keep ‘em company. I have to take out the bullet-proof plate in the back of my vest to work in the tank, so as I’m standing there holding the flashlight, joking around with the guys, I’m really thinking ‘please don’t shoot me in the back.. please don’t shoot me in the back…’ Considering we’re standing in the open with lights on where the bullets were flying not fifteen minutes earlier, the humour content of our chatting was pretty reasonable. Anyway, we get the wire out, the tank manages to extract itself, and it’s back home. We’re back in the tents by 0500.

So, lessons learned.

1) This mucking around with safety regulations such as mechanical safe on the .50, or whatever else that reduces response times has to go. From now on, my toggle switch is set for ‘coax’ and the .50 cal to ‘fire’. I’m just going to be careful about leaning on the butterfly.

2) This stuff happens bloody fast. It was over before we had even known exactly what was going on. I didn’t find out that it was an ambush from both sides until much, much later.

3) I don’t need to immediately drop to the GPSE. The gunner’s already looking at that. I should use that bullet-proof glass thing under the .50 cal and look for flashes.

4) Stay low. They try for TCs.

5) They don’t like taking on a platoon of tanks.

6) Say something like ‘coaxtroopsfire’. To hell with the long fire command. Afterwards my gunner said he was shocked to hear the textbook ‘gunner coax troop’. Chap would have been dead had I been a bit quicker on that one.

Final score was a nil-all draw. Better than a five one win in my opinion. Incidentally, my little foot-long Irish tricolour was flying from the gunnery flag stand just behind the TC’s hatch, so it is now my official battle standard. I hope this means we can get a combat patch now.. surely surviving an ambush counts! Overall, we’re almost spoiling for another fight. Just to redress the ‘you shot at us, so we’ll shoot at you’ balance. After that, if I never get into another fire fight again, I’ll be happy. I just have this naggling worry about a lucky round impacting my handsome profile as it sticks out the hatch

That was our first night out. We had more success later on in the deployment once we realised that the opposition would run away from us as soon as they figured out we were tanks.

NTM

Excellent , as for the tree hugging ,earth lovin,beards moaning about your use of the flag typical bs a bunch of bums

Heh...

My current unit is 11th ACR. The motto in Vietnam was "Find the bastards, then pile on." Once you find the opposition, it's much easier to kill them.

From a thread once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154045

That was our first night out. We had more success later on in the deployment once we realised that the opposition would run away from us as soon as they figured out we were tanks.

NTM
    I belive what can be derived from this... is that they don't like it up 'em.

and Ozcam, I think I know that story... as per usual, Whiskey Jockeys dont know the meaning of 'stop' and 'now'

• Advertisement

Clarification please

Selection for what? Is that for the ARW?

It most certainly is, Selection for the lads with black tape over their eyes.

Special forces.... the reason armed forces never have enough black nasty lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I heard a rather gruesome story last weekend (which I don't even want to think about again, let alone retell here) about an accident while retracking a Warrior on exercise in Canada. Please take care.

heard some horror story's from my late grandfather about his time as a tanker in Germany after the war

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Puding wrote: »
    theo1small.jpg

sad to hear about these two being killed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

800xy.jpg
    Errm??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

That one is staged for the photographer (note: no ammo belt)

But apperently it does work.How? I have no clue...

swiftblade wrote: »
    That one is staged for the photographer (note: no ammo belt)

But apperently it does work.How? I have no clue...
    Got that yeah, just, yeah, look at him! That is silly.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Got that yeah, just, yeah, look at him! That is silly.

Ok hold on there's a better one.... ;)

800xv.jpg

A make-shift turret there. Can turn a full 360 :p

• Advertisement

swiftblade wrote: »
    800xv.jpg

A make-shift turret there. Can turn a full 360 :p
    Now that's thinking... even got his bottle of water, oh rebels...

Advertisement