Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Always Christmas in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

“It is not a Christmas Tree per say and it could look very attractive if it was dressed up in different colours for different events. It is quite tall and it is very attractive when it is lit up so I wouldn’t be against it and I suppose people are used to seeing it now.”

So why was it put up for christmas?

Suppose be ok to stay up if they make it look less....christmassy...

Maybe add something to it for over the year so it looks different.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

I just think it looks idiotic. It's still a Christmas tree, whatever colour they light it up.

I actually called and complained about it a month ago, and he said that they had gotten lots of nice feedback about it (over Christmas obviously). I was pretty shocked when he said they had no plans to take it down.

I even forwarded him on links to the threads on here where people are talking about it pretty harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

it would be wonderful for the city if it could become a landmark and a unique tourist attraction

it's worth 10 millions for the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

oh, so NOW you all think it looks like a christmas tree!!!? :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Yank 1:"WE could go see the guinness storehouse, or the giants causeway?"
    Yank 2:"Hold the phone Marjorie, it says here they got a giant lit up traffic cone in Limerick, floating on the river! something to do with their love of pointy metal things I guess"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    Yank 1:"WE could go see the guinness storehouse, or the giants causeway?"
    Yank 2:"Hold the phone Marjorie, it says here they got a giant lit up traffic cone in Limerick, floating on the river! something to do with their love of pointy metal things I guess"

Yank 2: Oh wait now it's on the move. Oh it's just crashed into the nearby bridge!

[Enter Council Official]

"It has grand illusions at being a set of traffic lights on the Dock Rd/Shannonbridge Junction. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I never understood the fascination with it. Its basically a heap of scrap metal with lights on it, standing in the middle of the river.
    “The fact that it came from Thomond Park and the Limerick Tunnel and the fact that you could add different colours onto it would certainly be attractive,”

Yeah, apart from the fact that you wouldn't know it came from Thomond Park or the tunnel or somebodies ****ing garden gate unless you were from Limerick. The faux sentimental value of it doesn't make it any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

Maybe if more people complain to the Council, it might make a difference.... or am I being naive here?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Janneke wrote: »
    Maybe if more people complain to the Council, it might make a difference.... or am I being naive here?

HA. They would only give a statement to the Limerick post like recently(relation to the traffic lights) saying "They are not there to force people into the tunnel".

They'd tell you the Tree is there because the guys trade union say they need to go on a 6 month course in Bali before they can safely take down the tree and there is no money after spending money on traffic lights.

While you are on the phone to the council ask them about the green paint on the roads will you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The big pointy shiny thing is to show that Limerick people finally figured out the correct end of a sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Too lazy to take it down I'd say. A landmark ha ha....that's one of the funniest things they've every come out with.

So when you come to Limerick you can see our magnificent Burger King statue and a pointy metal thing with lights on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I hope it sinks...if only so we will never again have to hear the words "landmark" and "tourist attraction" associated with a scrap metal traffic cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick city council should be ashamed. By leaving up the christmas tree just shows

a) limerick city council has no money

b) limerick city council can't be arsed.

c) limerick city council can't organize anything.

d) limerick city council is lazy.

e) limerick city council are a bunch of idiots.

I too hope it sinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sheer ****ing laziness.

She'll object to bus lanes but hey we'll keep the xmas decorations up all year round.

Maybe if the "tree" was plonked outside the Mayors pub or shop for 12 months, it wouldn't be such an "attraction".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Limerick city council should be ashamed. By leaving up the christmas tree just shows

a) limerick city council has no money

b) limerick city council can't be arsed.

c) limerick city council can't organize anything.

d) limerick city council is lazy.

e) limerick city council are a bunch of idiots.

I too hope it sinks.

Or option f) All of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Don't Fine Gael hold a majority on Limerick city council?? Booking a one way ticket outta here If they get in on Friday :(

Still pretty hillarious bout the tree! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I hate the fúckin thing! Wouldnt mind if it was actually on O'Connell street. Instead they put a dishelvelled looking tree outside Penney's...

It also looks slightly bashed and bent after its adventure into the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

jokeshop. Its not even a decent looking Xmas tree. It looks cheap and nasty at Xmas and will look even cheaper and nastier the rest of the year.

Limerick a laughing stock..again.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

calling it an attraction is a little far-fetched....

think it sums up the city right now

Advertisement