Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Most Interesting Bridges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Railway bridge Coleraine (taken by Albert Bridge on Geograph).

1912187_0af57584.jpg

The span is electrically powered but can, should circumstances warrant, be operated by hand. The bridge is 100ft and opened in 1924.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Came across this pic this morning of a bridge on the Bray & Enniskerry Railway which, apparently, was built to carry the line over the Varty Reservoir pipeline. The railway was far from complete when it ran into financial difficulties and the creditors sized anything that could be sold. The rails were eventually reused to to construct the short branch from Lansdowne Road station into the RDS. This short branch ran to sidings which terminated just east of the main Merrion Road on the site of the AIB Bank Centre.

So was the train supposed to go through the arch or over it?
    And if not what's in that arch today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

flazio wrote: »
    So was the train supposed to go through the arch or over it?
    And if not what's in that arch today?

Over the arch, as the pipeline still crosses the road there and then over the Dargle River on a castellated bridge - see ornamental bridge pillar to right of pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The rails were eventually reused to to construct the short branch from Lansdowne Road station into the RDS. This short branch ran to sidings which terminated just east of the main Merrion Road on the site of the AIB Bank Centre.

This can be seen on the Ordance Survey 25" map from 1907
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,718173,732542,6

As for the the Bray and Enniskerry railway, you can make out the work done when you look at the 25" overlay here. This appears to be location of the above bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

First of all I have to say this is one of my favourite threads on this forum, thought I might put up my first few photos.

N69 5 Arched Bridge

FxCam_1289395014557-2.jpg

History of the bridge

FxCam_1289395075089.jpg

The walkway under the bridge is not quite as old as the bridge itself:

FxCam_1289395384316-1.jpg
    1382849_e0bdc883.jpg
    In deepest West Cork: Ballydehob Viaduct on the former narrow gauge West Carberry Tramway and Light Railway. The first train ran across the viaduct in 1886 and the last in 1947. It is well maintained and flood lit at night.
    © Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Yes it certainly looks impressive I wish I saw for real back last year. Instead I took a few of the replica at the West Cork Model Railway Village :D:

DSC03476.jpg

DSC03493.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The railway bridge in Thomastown Co. Kilkenny. It doesn't look too big in this pic (couldn't find a better one) but it is pretty cool down beside it.

Media,647,en.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Here's another from the old West Cork railway line . . . not as imposing as its neighbour the Chetwynd, but overlooks / frames the village of Halfway nicely.

078690_bcbaeab3.jpg

(copyright Ralph Rawlinson, reused under Creative Commons licence)

The Google street view gives the view from further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Craigavon Bridge in Derry. Only a few doubledecker style bridges in Europe. Strangley traffic flows both ways. Always thought top deck should have taken it one way lower deck the other.

Craigavon Bridge in Derry. Only a few doubledecker style bridges in Europe. Strangley traffic flows both ways. Always thought top deck should have taken it one way lower deck the other.

The lower deck was formerly a rail bridge. This from: http://industrialheritageireland.info/TikiWiki/tiki-index.php?page=Craigavon+Bridge

Craigavon Bridge

Twin deck spanning the bridge in Derry City. The lower deck originally carried a single railway track of dual gauge (5'3" and 3'0") enabling the transfer of goods wagons between the four railway stations in Derry (one narrow gauge and one standard gauge on each side of the River Foyle).
    The Derry coat of arms is built into the bridge at a number of locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

First off, excellent thread!

Heres one which I personally found interesting, but I know nothing about it, railway bridge in Drogheda. As a young lad the father would warn me to look out for Bowmen shooting out the slits in the stonework.

drogheda___Google_Maps.png

Google streetview is the best I can do Im afraid. Anyone know anything more about it?

• Advertisement

Derrys other bridge, or the new bridge as locals call it. Irelands longest bridge!!

Derrys other bridge, or the new bridge as locals call it. Irelands longest bridge!!

Impressive but not a thing of beauty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

that model bridge looks like it's about to do a Broadmeadow :D

dowlingm wrote: »
    that model bridge looks like it's about to do a Broadmeadow :D

I particularly liked the highly authentic Eastern European Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway locos and stock. :D

Impressive but not a thing of beauty. :)

In the eye of the beholder.:rolleyes:

Just noticed that there is another book on Ireland's Bridges still available. Published by Wolfhound Press in 2004. Several copies on www.abebooks.com tonight.

517QT1AZM3L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One handles local traffic, the other handles through traffic.

Victor wrote: »
    One handles local traffic, the other handles through traffic.

Did you just make that up? A load of nonsense that is.

I don't want to get into it with you but that's not what you said. If you where going anywhere there is always different routes. Plus what you mentioned is still all local traffic not through traffic!!! So thats that theory blowing out of the water.

Anyway it's a nothing matter really so can we be friends:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Probably a bit off topic, because this certainly couldn't be classed as one of Ireland's most interesting.

I came across it some time ago and often wondered what it was for. There are two bridges seemingly in middle of nowhere. It's near Wolfhill, Co. Laois. While trying to figure out about it before posting here, I've just discovered that it's called Kilfeacle Bridge and from what I can see, it's part of Wolfhill Railay (never heard of that before).

First two pics are of bridge 1 which goes over road. The 3rd pic is of second bridge, 200 or 300m away going over a lane. Pics are from Google Streetview as I didn't have camera when I was in that area.
    kilfeacle2.jpg
    kilfeacle1.jpg

kilfeacle3.jpg

Appears as if this bridge is more interesting than I first thought. I thought the bridge looked very modern in that it is re-inforced concrete rather than the older stone bridges. Finding references to the bridge being one of the first to use re-inforced concrete in manufacture......."The line was one of the first to use re-inforced concrete bridges the Barrow Viaduct in Athy being one and this long forgotten bridge at wolfhill being another!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Jomcc wrote: »
    Probably a bit off topic, because this certainly couldn't be classed as one of Ireland's most interesting.

I came across it some time ago and often wondered what it was for. There are two bridges seemingly in middle of nowhere. It's near Wolfhill, Co. Laois. While trying to figure out about it before posting here, I've just discovered that it's called Kilfeacle Bridge and from what I can see, it's part of Wolfhill Railay (never heard of that before).

First two pics are of bridge 1 which goes over road. The 3rd pic is of second bridge, 200 or 300m away going over a lane. Pics are from Google Streetview as I didn't have camera when I was in that area.
    kilfeacle2.jpg
    kilfeacle1.jpg

kilfeacle3.jpg

I think they are interesting bridges because they were only in operational use for about 11 years. They were on the line that served the Wolfhill Collieries. Opened in 1918 and closed in 1929. The rest of the line to Athy closed at later stages. Tracing the course of the line in Wolfhill these days is difficult.

JD will no doubt give a far more detailed description.:D

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I think they are interesting bridges because they were only in operational use for about 11 years. They were on the line that served the Wolfhill Collieries. Opened in 1918 and closed in 1929. The rest of the line to Athy closed at later stages. Tracing the course of the line in Wolfhill these days is difficult.

JD will no doubt give a far more detailed description.:D

I wish that I could! However, as you say DW it is very hard to trace the line in the Wolfhill area and I long ago gave up trying. The line was constructed under the Defence of the Realm Act by the British Government to open up the Wolfhill collieries during the Great War ( as opposed to the Last War :D). As far as I remember the necessary materials were obtained by singling the line from Cherryville Junction to Athy/Carlow.

Plenty of information from Hansard here: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1917/oct/25/irish-colliery-transit-facilities

And more here: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0028/D.0028.192902280017.html

Support the Railway Dribblers Heritage Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There's a fragment of the Wolfhill branch route still there, you can see it here on the OSI map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,667933,693213,6,3

It's a pity it wasn't built 10 years earlier because then it would have shown up in the 25" map (Athy surveyed in 1907)

Craigavon Bridge in Derry. Only a few doubledecker style bridges in Europe.

It doesn't always look like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jameswhorriskey/5249204825/

I imagine that one reason that traffic isn't oneway on each deck is that the lower deck (not designed for road) is rather tricky for HGVs.

Yes v good point. Suppose I have never seen a bus or HGV on the lower deck!! Think it was for the old railway, could be wrong on that.

The ice was unreal on the Foyle this winter, nice pic, was up home for Christmas and saw what was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

I find it very interesting that a substantial piece of infrastructure like this can almost completely be removed from the landscape, and memory by as few as 80 years. I managed with great difficulty to retrace most of the route the railway took via maps and research. Also another interesting thing i came across is the intention to use the old bridge across the Barrow in Athy as part of their new inner relief road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

25umlnn.jpg

25umlnn.jpg

To be replaced, or just removed?

• Advertisement

I don't think this one is already here, Kilcommer Co Cork.

killcomergall1.jpg

LROY_00044_BridgetownRailway_Viaduct.jpg

Advertisement