Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any update on the doolin harbour proposal?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

The West Coast Surf Club have met with Clare County Council and their consulting engineers and are now engaged in a consultative process. The outcome is not yet clear and a follow up meeting is awaited.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Thats pretty much it at the moment, we had a meeting last week and are awaiting on the county council to get back to us.

The process is still ongoing.

We will update all in due course with relevant info when we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

CRenegade wrote: »
    We will update all in due course with relevant info when we have it.

Where will you post updates?

Where will you post updates?

Well I guess this forum will be as good a place as any.

The surfing organiations will have information also.

But we have to wait and see on the council before we will know anything.

• Advertisement

Sorry I dont have any good news:

The vote by the councillors on the Doolin Pier is scheduled for Monday. We have been striving for revised proposals, proper wave modelling and for meetings with the councillors and relevant people.

The council have slightly revised the proposal but this is still going to destroy the waves. They also carried out VERY INACCURATE wave modelling.

The planners report of Clare Co. Co. going to the Councillors to inform them of how to vote is TOTALLY FLAWED. It does not have the details of all the surfer submissions but says there was 72 submissions and the concerns have been dealt with! - Total lies.

Anyone in the Clare area needs to contact their councillor and let them know of this situation. We are still working as hard as we can behind the scenes.

This facebook page has more info.

I have published the Lahinch Area Economic report on my site here. This has been sent to all councillors and the other relevant people in clare Co. Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Please post the contact details for all the councillors involved. I will be contacting my local councillor today...

kodute wrote: »
    Please post the contact details for all the councillors involved. I will be contacting my local councillor today...

Will do as soon as I have them. Ill get them up here asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Here you go
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/your-council/contact-the-council/councillors/

Done, and have a few people chasing them. Get family and friends on the phones. The only way they'll listen is with sheer numbers telling them what way to vote.

• Advertisement

Done, and have a few people chasing them. Get family and friends on the phones. The only way they'll listen is with sheer numbers telling them what way to vote.

If you download JSMS and set up a group text you can text them all at once using web mail for free (uses some of your 200 messages a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sorry was really busy today and didn't have time to look at this

The only people who should be contacting councillors are local people. The time for submissions is passed, this is in the hands of councillors. Any mass phoning/texting campaign could be counterproductive. You really don't want to piss off the people voting on this

Sort of disagree with you on this one rodent.

Yes defo no harrsaament of the councillors but logical phone calls can help. if they think its only a small few concerned then they will plough ahead.

The data given to them by the planning section is totally inaccurate and does not illustrate the concerns of surfers. if these are not highlighted the councillors will be voting on the false info in front of them.

Crenegrade no matter how right you think you are, these people are going to be making a decision based on the information set out in front of them. They will be making the decision on weather or not the proposed harbour will be good for the local economy.

A mass phoning/texting campaign will only annoy the people empoyed to make the decision, especially if they think you are interfering in local issues and the decision could effect local jobs.

It also doesn't help when people level accusations of corruption, or question the ability of the local officals in the council

rodento wrote: »
    Crenegrade no matter how right you think you are, these people are going to be making a decision based on the information set out in front of them. They will be making the decision on weather or not the proposed harbour will be good for the local economy.

A mass phoning/texting campaign will only annoy the people empoyed to make the decision, especially if they think you are interfering in local issues and the decision could effect local jobs.

It also doesn't help when people level accusations of corruption, or question the ability of the local officals in the council

PM sent.

Opinion changed: Please Limit the phone calls.

Thanks, pm sent in response

Problem with surfers talking about waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdF8DJ70Dc

rodento wrote: »

I agree that this may annoy them, but the smart ones will see this is gaining international attention and a wise move would be to comply with the peoples wishes.

I have contacted mine but only my local councillor. No other councillors were harmed in the making of this post.

Clare coco voting on the pier today at 16:00 in Ennis county council offices. Gallery open to public. Get along if in the area and show your support for stopping the damaging of the waves!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No word on the result yet then?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No word on the result yet then?

I didnt want to post up inaccurate info but this is what I know at the moment:

Not too sure what exactly happened at the Doolin Pier vote, what we think at the moment is that a revised pier 75 metres from the existing pier will be proposed again with new wave modelling. Not too sure at all but will let ye know when its more clear.

I wasnt at the meeting but was chatting to one of the crab committee at it. It was a bit confusing at the end of the meeting and its not too clear exactly what was voted on.

So the above is subject to change but all I know at the mo. When I know more ill post it up.

Cheers CRenegade, doing a great job!

Ok Ive got this from another within the Save Crab Committee:

"With regards to the Proposed new pier development in doolin, The motion was passed for the council to re-apply for planning for the pier development. This was probably the best outcome for all those involved in the "Save the Waves" campaign. The council will now have to go through the whole planning process again."

Will continue to update when I have more.

Ok guys I've looked into this a bit more. I've written up my take on the situation as I see it here.

Hopefully I'll have more accurate info in the coming days as Im not too happy with the lack of info and the conflicting info going around.

Well done to all those involved, the irish surfing community owe you a huge dept of gratitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Well done to all involved so far :cool:

It shows what you can do more should get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i think a counter proposal from the surfers lobby would go a long, if there was a surfer who had any sort of knowledge in this area or if the surfing association could fund raise to pay for a concept of how a pier could be constructed without affecting the wave could be a massive bonus and help the surfers image a bit

fair play to all those involved so far

CRenegade a good track to go down is for someone to study what happened with the pier on Inish Meinn. Spent loads on it but was'nt that suitable or safe, it had to be re built elsewhere, as ferries had difficulty using it in rough seas

Study may be of use next time round...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timthesurfer

The Examiner had a good piece on it the other day, and westcoastsurfer had a few bits on it. Its been rejected defo, new pier plan submitted now

Advertisement