Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Brown Thomas doing in the recession?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any examples of this at all?
    If your argument is that one extra person more than likely on minimum wage for the Xmas period drives up drives up their prices then I suggest you don't know a whole lot about profit margins.

I'm just interested to know what you think is overpriced in there and why?
    diol07 wrote: »
    BT take up to a 300%+ profit margin on a lot of products, including designer shoes and handbags. It's usually around the 200% to 250% mark though. Independent or smaller stores would typically take a 60% to 100% profit margin. Small bit of a difference there alright :D Where BT get away with it is that most of the products they do this with are pretty much exclusive to them. That's changing though. Tommy Hilfiger recently pulled out of BT due to exclusivity demands and are now going down the independent route, and Juicy Couture are beginning to go down the independent route as well. I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!

I'm just interested to know how anyone could be put out at the thought of BT's being expensive/poor value for money......

Not that it matters, those that like to have some poor Sod open the Door for them cause their spindly arms can barely hold their designer Wallet and probably don't give him a nod or a thanks in return deserve their BT shopping experience.

- Personally I hate having People fawn over me while simultaneously looking down their orange Noses at me !!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!

I'm certain I know exactly the story you're referring to. I heard it first in Galway from about three different people who all more or less repeated it word for word. I've since heard the story from people in Limerick and Cork, and each person who told me swore it happened in Galway/Limerick/Cork because it happened to their sister's babysiiter's hairdresser's cousin (or some other such tenuous link).
    While I think there's no smoke without fire, that story is at risk of becoming an urban legend. All the same, I won't be "investing" in a pair of designer shoes from BTs any time soon (chance'd be a fine thing :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

BT take up to a 300%+ profit margin on a lot of products, including designer shoes and handbags. It's usually around the 200% to 250% mark though. Independent or smaller stores would typically take a 60% to 100% profit margin. Small bit of a difference there alright :D Where BT get away with it is that most of the products they do this with are pretty much exclusive to them. That's changing though. Tommy Hilfiger recently pulled out of BT due to exclusivity demands and are now going down the independent route, and Juicy Couture are beginning to go down the independent route as well. I could tell one or two very juicy tales about BT and their famous designer shoe labels but I won't. Let's just say I won't ever be buying them for herself at BT!
    I'm certain I know exactly the story you're referring to. I heard it first in Galway from about three different people who all more or less repeated it word for word. I've since heard the story from people in Limerick and Cork, and each person who told me swore it happened in Galway/Limerick/Cork because it happened to their sister's babysiiter's hairdresser's cousin (or some other such tenuous link).
    While I think there's no smoke without fire, that story is at risk of becoming an urban legend. All the same, I won't be "investing" in a pair of designer shoes from BTs any time soon (chance'd be a fine thing :rolleyes:)
    pm away. she has bought shoes in there before, would love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

A neighbour has worked in BTs for the past seven years, he (along with fifteen others) were let go last week after being on reduced time for a couple of months. They're eliminating at least one from each department right now.

Although he was told that he'd be re-hired on a temporary contract for Christmas if it picks up, but definitely for the January sale period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Raiser wrote: »
    I'm just interested to know how anyone could be put out at the thought of BT's being expensive/poor value for money......

There's a difference between expensive and poor value for money.
    Not that it matters, those that like to have some poor Sod open the Door for them cause their spindly arms can barely hold their designer Wallet and probably don't give him a nod or a thanks in return deserve their BT shopping experience.

Way to fabricate a situation entirely in your head to further your argument.

*slow clap*
    - Personally I hate having People fawn over me while simultaneously looking down their orange Noses at me !!!

Letting yourself be upset by perceived attitudes of shop assistants says more about you than it does about anybody else imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bad news - but sure wouldn't BT have expanded their staff in the good years anyway?

People need to put a sieve over their ear when processing all the negative media vibe. Misery seems to sell papers, so that is what they publish. They go to extremes.

The won't publish any articles talking about how:
    • Of any 10 people employed in the boom, at least 8 or 9 of those people are still in jobs.
    • Of those 8/9 people, there may have been some cut in pay (usually to restore necessary competitiveness), but most will retain full earnings.
    • Those earnings represent much boosted purchasing power for these workers in a deflationary economy.
    The real issues in the economy are about confidence. Confidence is low so those still earning aren't spending. They know some bad budgets are coming, and want to be sure they can weather them so discretionary spending is halted. BT have to cut their cloth to suit this situation. You can't blame them as a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Brown Thomas have reported an 82 percent fall in operating profits for last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1203/1224284680668.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There's a difference between expensive and poor value for money.

Way to fabricate a situation entirely in your head to further your argument.

*slow clap*

Letting yourself be upset by perceived attitudes of shop assistants says more about you than it does about anybody else imo.

Aw don't cry - Shop there if you want to - who really cares?

Seriously though relax, no point in getting so upset and narky.

- And since BT's is synonymous with Ugg Boots !!!

iloveyouman2_wideweb__470x30801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

but it still has an operative profit of €2.7m. every thing doesn't have to be reported in the negative - a big fall in profits for any company is to be expected but a profit is still a profit. Don't talk BTs into leaving - its a profitable store that caters for its own market. Its probablybeen years since I bought anything there and even then it was in sale prices, but it would be a major loss to the city centre, it supports alot of charity events and employs alot of people - 1,900 workers in Ireland directly employed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Aw don't cry - Shop there if you want to - who really cares?

Seriously though relax, no point in getting so upset and narky.

About shop assistants looking down there nose? Agreed.
    - And since BT's is synonymous with Ugg Boots !!!

Is it?

You obv know more about them than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, herself had the same story, can't remember which city she said this allegedly happened in - friend of a friend of a friend yadda yadda, money changed hands so she'd never tell a soul etc

In fairness, these things do happen, different product, different company but it did happen the company I work for too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser and keane2097, take it easy with the childish replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Thats why pep shop in bts cos of the exclusivity of the things you get there. I luv designed handbags and vvvv occasionally maybe once a year i get to buy a new1 and I get them there because no one else has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

I don't know what story you are referring to but I work in the trade and my stories come from well placed sources in the trade. The incidents I know of are true, I'm not aware of these incidents being public knowledge. There was also a high-end la-de-daw shoe boutique in Limerick at the same craic and probably still is.

Bear in mind though that BT do not run the shoe/handbag departments, that area is franchised out to the Shoe Studio Group in London and everything is conducted and run by them from there. A lot of the departments in BT are franchised out and not actually run by BT themselves. They just charge a fortune for the privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

I think the original question: about how BT's are doing at the moment, satisfies a deep urge for people who can only look so far up and look no further,

'Hang on, we have a recession here, so the people who shop in dunnes are gonna have to shop in Lidl, the people who shop in superquinn are gonna have to shop in dunnes, wait a minute... who shops in Brown Thomas? and where are they gonna shop next?'
    I could be wrong but that's where I think the curiosity's coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Bear in mind though that BT do not run the shoe/handbag departments, that area is franchised out to the Shoe Studio Group in London and everything is conducted and run by them from there. A lot of the departments in BT are franchised out and not actually run by BT themselves. They just charge a fortune for the privilege!

And here is the whole point of the debate. BT runs on a concession basis, they rent out space on the floor to different companies. IF BT WAS DOING BAD, these companies would be leaving, would be pulling out, there would be blank spots on the floor. Instead, not a single concession has left this year. NOT ONE! They actually have new ones queued up waiting to get in, once they renovate and create some more space.

The place is doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya the place is doing grand , one of my friends works in the cork one and she told me they had people in at the start of october ordering christmas trees priced over €2000 euro , and she said a load of her customers have like a platnium or black card which means you must spend somethin like over €1000 or over €5000 every year to keep it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I don't know what story you are referring to but I work in the trade and my stories come from well placed sources in the trade. The incidents I know of are true, I'm not aware of these incidents being public knowledge. There was also a high-end la-de-daw shoe boutique in Limerick at the same craic and probably still is.

can you pm the story thanks

bigpink loves a bit of gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I think the original question: about how BT's are doing at the moment, satisfies a deep urge for people who can only look so far up and look no further,

'Hang on, we have a recession here, so the people who shop in dunnes are gonna have to shop in Lidl, the people who shop in superquinn are gonna have to shop in dunnes, wait a minute... who shops in Brown Thomas? and where are they gonna shop next?'
    I could be wrong but that's where I think the curiosity's coming from.
    What? Dunnes,Lidl, superquinn?? ,Tesco? Surely there all the same? Are you saying if I shop in Lidl one week Im a pauper? Dunnes the next Im a lord. Heaven forbid M&S another week-Im a king. I purchase in all these shops. Jesus ,this country has stooped to a new low if people are marking where others shop to see if theyve 'survived' cowans noose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    bigpink loves a bit of gossip.

who,Vamp? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Limerick branch is the worst performing BT in the country. Doesn't necessarily mean it will close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RonMexico wrote: »
    The Limerick branch is the worst performing BT in the country. Doesn't necessarily mean it will close though.

That's cos we're salt of the earth bud, and don't need no fancy labels or stinkin badges!
    If they sold Tommy Brubacker or Naff jackets with Sizzlers, BT would be flying it in Limerick kid! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I dont think BTs is over priced for what it sells. I bought a designer bag recently in a shop. I then went into BTs and it was the same price. I saw the bag online and it was same price too.

It all depends on what your perception is on buying products. As a poster said a few pages back, people spending money (who have it) = helping economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RonMexico wrote: »

The company I work for's Limerick store is the worst performing in Ireland too but our shop has taken over a million since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Love the begrudgery from some people!
    I don't get to make big purchases much these days but I like to have high end/good quality equipment in my kitchen. Believe me, before i make any big purchases I shop around and time upon time I find that the cheapest place to get what I'm looking for is BTs. That is over Debenhams, Homestore and More, Carrig Don, Avoca and Meadows and Byrne, and often, due to shipping charges for large/weighty items, cheaper than online. (I will admit though, I do most of this shopping at sale time!)
    Also, when I'm making large/costly purchases I like to do this in a bricks and mortar store so as if there are any issues I can bring it back to them rather than worry about return shipping.
    BTs is more than just a clothes shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

bigpink wrote: »
    can you pm the story thanks
    Nope, I won't be pm-ing anybody the stories, sorry!

Nope, I won't be pm-ing anybody the stories, sorry!

the story is rubbish anyway, its been doing the rounds for years and years for all the branches. It was an old wives tale when my GF worked there about 6 years ago. The basic jist is the shoes were counterfeit. its bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    BT sells loads of makeup brands that you can't get anywhere else in Limerick, so if that's your brand, then you're gonna go there :) Most makeup products cost less than €50, so it's an affordable treat.

Also they have more affordable clothing brands like Lipsy, Mango etc. so it's not all Hugo Boss and Dolce & Gabanna being bought in there!

€50?? That's a visit to the local GP!! I think I'll be sticking with Boots myself, 4 advantage card points to the euro? How can ya go wrong :D

Not talking specifically about BT's, but their staff. Oh dear lord. It's ridiculous. If I'm on my break from work with one of the girls we'll have a quick stroll around the bigger shops. If I have my name badge on which has the name of a nice upmarket shop on it and I have my Guess purse in my hand(which I got in the airport about 3 years ago for £30sterling and will be using until it falls to pieces, and the only thing making it bulge are Penneys reciepts and coppers) the sales assistants are only too happy to have a go at the 'this is new in/this seasons hottest blah blah blah....' sales pitch.
    If I'm coming home from college and my bus pulls up outside BT's instead of Centra and I've to walk up William St then YES I'm gonna cut through and go out the AlWear door. But when I'm in a hoodie with a backpack the sales assistants jump me to make sure my sticky little student hands dont leave paw prints all over the gaff. Ridiculous.
    Where I work, everyone that comes through our doors gets a hello/hi/how're things just to let them know we're glad they're even bothering to look.

Being totally honest, if they shut up shop in the morning the only shame would be the loss of jobs. It's not like they offer something major to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭moby2101

[QUOTE=SarahBeep!;

Being totally honest, if they shut up shop in the morning the only shame would be the loss of jobs. It's not like they offer something major to the city.[/QUOTE]

Great to see begrudgery is alive and well and living in Limerick FFS..

Ive dipped in and out of this thread over the last few days and the some of the opinions are just so ridiculously negative about a department store...its only a STORE...

if you dont like it dont shop there ...but yes Sarah Beep it would be a loss ...

A MAJOR LOSS...

Limerick City is on its knees, the planners the councillors have conspired to ruin this city by allowing shopping centres to spring up all around the outskirts of this city and take the lifeblood out of this city....the customers...

Apart from the jobs the revenue thats generated is ENORMOUS..
    It is one of 4 major department stores in the country and whether you like it or not some people like to wear very expensive designer clothing and purchase luxury goods ...this is still a very wealthy country with over 85 billion on deposit in privately held bank a/cs so
    why have the money leave Limerick.

Limerick City is already on its knees ...its run down and delapidated and unfortunately we will see another no of shop closures in January.

BT's is a major draw for people in a City the size and population of Limerick and is crucial in attracting further footfall for this city and the other traders still operating...

So put your petty prejudices away & grow up ...
    you say youre a student...lets hope when you get your degree and land yourself great job paying a decent salary, You will have the OPTION if you so choose to buy that designer handbag or dress or whatever in BTS...

Advertisement