Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So There's gonna be a protest...

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Plenty of buzz going around college at the moment about a protest in Dublin organized by the USI.

I read another thread on here that said Irish protests never succeed because they're too small. Well the organizers are saying that 25,000 will be marching. It's two weeks away and the FB page already has around 8,000 positive replies to the march... http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124538357601069

Anyone think it will achieve anything or will it just be another flop?

I personally am hopeful that upwards of 25,000 turn up to march to the Dáil.Trying to bring back in huge fees for students is ridiculous. We need to invest in God damn education not put half the people coming out of school straight into the dole cues or on a plane to Canada or Australia.

Thoughts AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i dont agree with the grounds of the protest and i dont just think it will fail i hope it will fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've seen events on FB where 20,000 people replied as attending but 300 actually showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I will be giving it my full support. Personally I think this jaded Irish lazyiness is so ****ing retarded, if we're too lazy to get off our arses to protest then we deserve everything we're getting. Let's follow the elderly and march on the Dail, they won, they got back their medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

dilallio wrote: »
    I've seen events on FB where 20,000 people replied as attending but 300 actually showed up.

Events yeah...

But there is serious buzz around the college and the SU are really getting the message across. Also, because it's to do with fees and many students are seriously struggling at the minute (myself included) I think a lot will come. Hopefully.

Have ran into very few people in college who say they aren't going.

I heard they're six bussed coming up from Letterkenny IT alone. And my mates friends from Galway are all bussing it up to Dublin in the morning... just seems like this might be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

i was in college at the time of the last one, there were huge numbers at that one. it was actually mad fun around dublin that day, dont think i have ever seen so many students drinkin in the pav after the march, all other colleges in the country run buses for 4euro to dublin for this march so id say expect a huge crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Students + Facebook......oh dear God!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i dont agree with the grounds of the protest and i dont just think it will fail i hope it will fail
    Now Brian, open rancor and dissent are signs of a healthy democracy, even if it as unfocused as the present government. Protest sharpens the mind of the office holder.

However if there is a piss up after then you could join them for a "think in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Lol did you see the comments on the page?
    The USI are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike but I'll head along anyway
    I agree with the march, but the USI is a waste of space.
    The USI is a waste of time.
    So, while every student in Irenland is in Dublin.... Anyone fancy a session????????

This whole thing is a sham. About 200 people will show up, realize there's not enough, then head to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I'm going along to protest against the original protest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe instead of marching you should stay in college and do an economics class to learn about how f*cked the country actually is right now!

Sykk wrote: »
    Lol did you see the comments on the page?

This whole thing is a sham. About 200 people will show up, realize there's not enough, then head to the pub

Again I just cant see that happening... that's whats confusing me because from an outside perspective I'd agree with you. But EVERYONE seems to be going and the colleges are right behind it.

When the SU president and a rep from the USI came into a lecture to tell us about the march they got a round of applause as they left. Seems people really want to attend and be heard.

steve06 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of marching you should stay in college and do an economics class to learn about how f*cked the country actually is right now!

But then next year only maybe 50% of people attending college will be able to continue to do so. So then we're doubly ****ed.

I nor my parents and most people I know could afford E3,000 ON TOP OF the other costs associated with college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Each strike/protest brings us closer to having the IMF intervene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why are they protesting? Students in most EU countries pay for their education, ours is heavily subsidised and substandard.

I'd rather pay lots for high quality education then be given subsidised shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Again I just cant see that happening... that's whats confusing me because from an outside perspective I'd agree with you. But EVERYONE seems to be going and the colleges are right behind it.

When the SU president and a rep from the USI came into a lecture to tell us about the march they got a round of applause as they left. Seems people really want to attend and be heard.

It's a click on facebook to say yes and join the crowd. Actually going and doing it is a different story

Confab wrote: »
    Why are they protesting? Students in most EU countries pay for their education, ours is heavily subsidised and substandard.

I'd rather pay lots for high quality education then be given subsidised shite.

Irish colleges are hardly substandard. People come here to get degrees because they are of a high quality.

Yes, other European countries have fees. But other European countries didn't **** themselves up. Try getting a student loan today or any time in the next ten years. GOOD LUCK!

Besides, education is, and should be looked upon as an investment in our future. When we start to come out of this mess I want graduates who know what they're doing to run the country. Not people who got a pat on the back for getting honors in their LC and we're slid into a comfy civil service job back in the 70s.

But then next year only maybe 50% of people attending college will be able to continue to do so. So then we're doubly ****ed.

I nor my parents and most people I know could afford E3,000 ON TOP OF the other costs associated with college.

Phrase of the day... "Student loan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Plenty of buzz going around college at the moment about a protest in Dublin organized by the USI.

Student protests only serve to block city centre traffic.
    Nobody listens to them.

Phrase of the day... "Student loan"

Yeah because bank give out sooo many of those these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Makes me glad I started a fund for my kid to cover this kind of thing. Oh well, only another 15 or so years before it's needed. Think I'll have enough?

Oh GL with protest. Thank all 166 people who show up will ya?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

This march will be well attended and hopefully inspire the rest in society to protest as well.

However the USI are a complete and utter waste of space. In my many years in college iv only ever heard of the USI when the USI president gets a few radio spots to promote a march in dublin. That is all iv ever heard them doing.

If students these days want to question where the registration fee goes and why its getting increased maybe they should look at the USI. After all some of that money gets flitered to the USI.

This is not to take away from the SU's in colleges.They do an excellent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

knowledge economy rabble rabble rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

stopped reading when I saw the organiser.

Yeah because bank give out sooo many of those these days.

Damn, you might have to get a job then....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The fees are more than adequate as is.
    There isn't a justifiable reason to increase them. Also, given the state of the country currently, it's ****in outrageous to suggest such an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Sorry i can't make it. I actually have to do a days work:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Christ the culchies are coming

Damn, you might have to get a job then....

I have two. Tesco and I do some freelance writing.

People who can get bye in college without a job will have no trouble having their parents pay for their fees. It's the other majority which this will effect.

Cheers though, people like you make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Is that economics as taught to/by the people that created the current mess?

Advertisement