Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Driver on M7 Bypass

Options
  • 08-10-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the driver going against the traffic on the M7 Bypass? He was driving in a blue van against the traffic on the motorway in the fast lane.

Nearly caused multiple crashes. I couldn't believe it.

Was it reported anywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jesus Christ...I'm driving on that road in a few minutes, I hope the rampage is over!

What time did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Last night around 7pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Tora Bora wrote: »
    <snip>

That is bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

about as ridiculous as the old man in the opel that decided he would drive into traffic stopped at Dunnes Stores on Henry st!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

What is it with dual carriageways/motorways. My partner was on the Limerick ring road and he was overtaking a few cars to find a oncoming car. Fortunately the cars in the correct lanes had the cop on to let my partner in. Needless to say he did report the incident and a patrol car was called out supposedly.

If people dont know the rules of the road they should not be in a car as they are lethal to themselves and others. I could of been without my partner due to that person. This happened last week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I drove into 3 lanes of Traffic in Limerick one day, looked like a right fool.
    It must be something with the air down there, makes people act funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its hard enough to even put yourself in that position in all fairness.....

- Why is this known as a Limerick thing? Is it only us and Jim McDaid that do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

There was a fatal accident of a person driving the wrong way on the Ennis bypass awhile ago. There was a two car crash, the person drove onto the motorway at Barefield and crashed at the Tulla Road Junction. So its not down to Limerick its allover Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Its hard enough to even put yourself in that position in all fairness.....

- Why is this known as a Limerick thing? Is it only us and Jim McDaid that do it?

Just you and McDaid methinks. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

That's at least the third time it has happened since the tunnel opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    That's at least the third time it has happened since the tunnel opened.

Its very easy to get disorientated driving through that tunnel, plus its so dark I nearly spilled my beer in it one night, no cupholder big enough for a pint glass so you're fcuked if you need to indicate or change gear or something.

- Back on topic though - Yes this behaviour needs to be modified and should not be condoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was turning up by the GPO the other day, and as I was turning off Henry St I nearly hit some idiotic old(ish) bird who was nonchalantly driving down the street the wrong way.

Didn't even have time to blow the horn, and as I stopped (with a stunned pedestrian staring at me and her from the path) she pulled out onto Henry St without a care in the world, not even acknowledging the near miss.

Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I drove into 3 lanes of Traffic in Limerick one day, looked like a right fool.
    It must be something with the air down there, makes people act funny.

You weren't trying to drive a silver polo up Henry Street a few years ago by any chance were you?

130350.jpg
    Picture taken by concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Cheers Foinse, saved me searching my computer for that!

Ellen St. seems to be a hotspot for crazy drivers, on more than one occasion I've seen drivers use the oncoming lane of traffic to get out onto O'Connell street, they seem to think its not a 2-way street! Some skit watching them reverse all the way back when a another car comes around that corner

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ellen St. seems to be a hotspot for crazy drivers, on more than one occasion I've seen drivers use the oncoming lane of traffic to get out onto O'Connell street, they seem to think its not a 2-way street! Some skit watching them reverse all the way back when a another car comes around that corner

I assume you mean Denmark Street.

If so then look at the road markings the next time you head that way. There are exit markings for traffic coming the other way as APPARENTLY it is only a one way street from BBs onwards so traffic coming out of the Multistorey can turn right and exit onto O'Connel Street.

Personally I wouldnt take the chance because

1. Pedestrians think they have right of way at that junction for some reason
    2. Other drivers are idiots.

Berty wrote: »
    I assume you mean Denmark Street.

If so then look at the road markings the next time you head that way. There are exit markings for traffic coming the other way as APPARENTLY it is only a one way street from BBs onwards so traffic coming out of the Multistorey can turn right and exit onto O'Connel Street.

Personally I wouldnt take the chance because

1. Pedestrians think they have right of way at that junction for some reason
    2. Other drivers are idiots.

No its definitely Ellen Street, I know because I went to the dentist there near the corner, and that was pretty unforgettable :pac:

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&ll=52.665036,-8.624868&spn=0.006325,0.05476&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.665032,-8.624856&panoid=eWPiflt4nc86V4VQMf20zw&cbp=11,307.23,,0,5

It usually happens when the traffic is backed up waiting to get out onto O Connell street, so maybe they just cant see the road markings and presume its 2 lanes heading in the same direction. Perhaps its people who dont know Limerick who do it but I've seen it at least 3 times which is bizarre!

Sorry after I re-read it I now realise you mean Patrick Street and not O'Connel Street which is why I thought you were talking about further along the street.

Now that I understand your post Im thinking WTF. I have never seen anybody do that. Crazy :confused:

This is what I meant.

Look at the road markings. There is a massive contradiction here though.

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&t=h&layer=c&cbll=52.66456,-8.625969&panoid=R9H_Zj4aSIeI4qtnP59Gkw&cbp=12,126.88,,0,13.24&ll=52.664638,-8.625867&spn=0.007053,0.045447&z=15

There is a One way sytem sign with a Yield sign on the other side.

LCC. Idiots. :mad:

• Advertisement

This is what I meant.

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&t=h&layer=c&cbll=52.66456,-8.625969&panoid=R9H_Zj4aSIeI4qtnP59Gkw&cbp=12,126.88,,0,13.24&ll=52.664638,-8.625867&spn=0.007053,0.045447&z=15

Jesus....never noticed that before. Again, bizarre

Edit: rename this Limericks crazy driver thread?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This is what I meant.

Can I assume you have brought this to their attention?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can I assume you have brought this to their attention?

No I haven't. Oddly enough.

I once brought to LCC's attention that their signs saying Newport (An Port Nua) are incorrect as its called An Tualach but they didnt bother replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

I have some sympathy for that driver as it's not unknown for Irish drivers to jsut pull up and park whenever or wherever they like,if you're lucky they might put on there hazard warning lights, while it may give some warning it certainly doesn't make it any easier to get around them.

To day for example, I'm driving up Alphonsus St, a car in front of me stops, I think she is yeilding to oncoming traffic, next thing she is out of the car and running up the street, car stopped (hard to call it parked) about a meter out from roadworks barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I thought this thread might have related to the sulkys racing on the bypass before the match this evening (both in lane 1, accompanied by a parade of vans and jeeps in the hard shoulder natch). I await the youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Speaking of sulkys, the funniest road related thing I've seen in weeks was on Friday lunchtime. A Paddywagon mounted the kerb and nearly went through the hedge into the Kilmurry lodge carpark out in Castletroy. I'd no idea why until I saw some cheeky ****er on a sulky come out around the blind spot of the van and take off towards the College. The Gards in the van must have been spitting fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

No I haven't. Oddly enough.

I once brought to LCC's attention that their signs saying Newport (An Port Nua) are incorrect as its called An Tualach but they didnt bother replying.

I assume you dont vist your local PO too much ;)

D44575E0C03A43AE9132112361D48A0D-0000316185-0001967572-00800L-BA1A1595512C4D33AC931EC454C1EFAA.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Another car was reportedly driving against the traffic on the dual carraigeway near Shanon earlier.

Lethal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

KerranJast wrote: »
    Speaking of sulkys, the funniest road related thing I've seen in weeks was on Friday lunchtime. A Paddywagon mounted the kerb and nearly went through the hedge into the Kilmurry lodge carpark out in Castletroy. I'd no idea why until I saw some cheeky ****er on a sulky come out around the blind spot of the van and take off towards the College. The Gards in the van must have been spitting fire :D

I was heading out through the Rosbrien interchange today and I saw some idiot on a sulky coming against the traffic on the hard shoulder.

Ironically I had just passed two Garda cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I thought this thread might have related to the sulkys racing on the bypass before the match this evening (both in lane 1, accompanied by a parade of vans and jeeps in the hard shoulder natch). I await the youtube video.

Watch this atrocity, count how many traffic violations occur and also animal cruelty.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is 'culture'.
    BTW, this was filmed on the main Sligo-Dublin Road near Boyle and happens to be quite a busy stretch.

Advertisement