Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

DPA wrote: »
    I plan to run it on Saturday SJ.

I hopeded to run it last night but Carrawaystick took me longer than expected. I drove the course after to find Croagh and now know where to stop. There's a big pile of stones at the entrance and a clear path in. After 55k of the race this will be a killer. It will definitely sort out/finish off plenty!!

The cycling is way tougher than the other AR's i've done. The Ford up by the Shay Elliott is crazy. After being initially sceptical, i'm glad it's in now.

Have you done both runs? 21k is tough on the pins

If you are running this early on Saturday I'd offer to join you. I live not 15 mins away from Croagh near Aughrim. I'm not doing the AR myself. Tempted.. but have marathon plans. Maybe next year. Drop me a PM if interested in company. Coffee and cake after in Macreddin or burger and chips in Glenmalure. The diet of champions :D

Here's the run mapped on OSI geolives...

Just realised the run starts and finishes on the Slieve Mann side.

2F4F0FA2E52548F4AC69F77D5FC651A7-0000332535-0001876033-00800L-6F628BA53395451891728329561883E1.jpg

Elevation profile. It'll be painful after the earlier runs and cycles... Evil people they are bringing you down the other side to come back up ;)

F2547DDFAFAD4848B217E33D74EA723C-0000332535-0001876178-00800L-900759051EED4E5BA5D18E68770A338D.jpg

Photos from the run on the Croaghanmoira section taken this morning here:
    http://pix.ie/mickhanney/album/386070

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DPA

This course is not to be underestimated. i managed to get round it today and i'm shattered. The cycle part is unbelievably tough. The 20k spin from Glenmalure Lodge to the run at Croaghanmoira is nearly all uphill with the road very rutted in parts.

Good photos Mick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Photos from the run on the Croaghanmoira section taken this morning here:
    http://pix.ie/mickhanney/album/386070

Cheers man, excellent pics.

Lets just hope it dry:)

DPA wrote: »
    This course is not to be underestimated. i managed to get round it today and i'm shattered. The cycle part is unbelievably tough. The 20k spin from Glenmalure Lodge to the run at Croaghanmoira is nearly all uphill with the road very rutted in parts.

Good photos Mick!

I was thinking that alright after looking at the elevations on map my ride. Im going to try and find a route in cork that might mimic it and give it a go.
    If anyone is looking for a training partner in cork drop me a pm. My friend has pulled out so im flying solo on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

right, having just completed the gaelforce i have been convinced to attempt this race also...

Just want to get some feedback on how tough the route is in comparison to gaelforce. I notice many of you saying the cycle is tougher. This does not bode well for me. on the gaelforce that was easily my worst section!!

Are the kayaks a two man affair or solo kayaks??

Overall, is this easier or tougher than gaelforce??

ronan1986 wrote: »
    right, having just completed the gaelforce i have been convinced to attempt this race also...

Just want to get some feedback on how tough the route is in comparison to gaelforce. I notice many of you saying the cycle is tougher. This does not bode well for me. on the gaelforce that was easily my worst section!!

Are the kayaks a two man affair or solo kayaks??

Overall, is this easier or tougher than gaelforce??

Im not sure about the kayaks but at WAR glendalough they were 2 man sit on tops so id say they will be the same.

The cycle looks to be tougher than GF but at least theres not as much off road. I havent seen the cycle myself but from map my ride you can get a good idea of it.
    The first cycle section looks ok with only one real hill that goes on for about 4.5km at the end.
    shay-elliott-bike-profile.jpg

The second cycle looks much tougher with higher gradiends to really test our aching legs. You can see the elevation here:
    :http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=7bd83fca9f6bdc61554f244c9b879558&show_elevation_panel=1&rs=undefined

Gradient goes up to 9%:eek:

The third cycle looks an easy enough affair with a 4mile downhill ride home i hope:D

Im not sure how it will compare to GF in terms of difficulty. You will finish this faster than GF i think as there is no Croke Patrick. However if you eliminate croke patrick i think the running and cycling sections in WAR are harder.
    Saying all that i expect this to be better than GF as WAR glendalough was excellent with great organisation, a great atmosphere and one of the best days (weather wise) of the year so far.

@ c.montgomery. Its no CP but Croaghanmoira is not to be taken lightly. Remember you have to summit it, go down the other side then come back. All this on tired legs. Much of the trail is shale-y. Not the free flowing rubble of CP but not something you'd want to unestimate. Weather will be critical. I did a race on this a few years back in heavy ran. The trial was like a river flowing down... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

@ c.montgomery. Its no CP but Croaghanmoira is not to be taken lightly. Remember you have to summit it, go down the other side then come back. All this on tired legs. Much of the trail is shale-y. Not the free flowing rubble of CP but not something you'd want to unestimate. Weather will be critical. I did a race on this a few years back in heavy ran. The trial was like a river flowing down... :rolleyes:

OHHHHHH:eek:
    Didnt realise this and i guess i was taking it a bit lightly. Sure im signed up now so theres no going back so bring it on. Hopefully it will be dry tho. I think we have been blessed with the weather so far this year at all the AR so i fear were due a bad one. Fingers crossed tho:)

Thanks for the replies

Guess i better up my effort on the bike so......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    SJ, much as I appreciate the info, its beginning to psyche me out now. Too much (bad) information! :) I got to stop reading this thread and just turn up on the day and do the damn thing :)

@Oryx. Its a gentle wee thing of a hill. Nothing to worry about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DPA

The problem with the cycle part is that it is hard to get into any rhythm…which is the key to cycling. On Saturday, there was a strong wind and it was showery which added to the difficulty of getting anything going for any length of time. The roads are very tough because the quality of them ain’t great and on some of the faster descents you have to pick a line in between the pot holes. It’s tough to pick the right gear also as there are short climbs and descents a lot of the time. There are markings on the road in different parts, so it appears the council are going to patch up some of the bad stretches of road. The short climb up and descent down the Shay Elliott and the descent from Croaghanmoira to Glenmalure are the best roads to cycle on.

As SJ says, Croaghanmoira is not to be underestimated. The second bike leg to this point and the run over it will blow the race open. The run up Carrawaystick Mtn is not too bad. The surface is good nearly the whole way up.

Don’t be put off doing the race. It is doable but you need to train properly and pace yourself well.

Did you do a recce on Sunday Oryx? What did you think?

4 stars (good)
    Nope, had Dublin tri on Sunday, and I cant do a recce alone. Shoite at navigating, Id still be there next month. Which is why I asked if anyone else was up for a recce.

anyone know where I could get a good deal on a new cyclocross bike??

I'm thinking less than €700, or is that just out of the question....

Basically i'm just after getting into all this adventure race stuff and everyone i've talked to has said a cycloscross bike is probably the way to go. The bike i have been using to train with (and do the gaelforce with) is a 14 year old dawes mountain bike that has dodgy brakes, very bad tyres and is generally a bit too small.I think its about time I got a new bike..

any advice would be very grateful. Bear in mind that i'm relatively new to technical jargon that goes along with bikes etc...

I paid something like that for a Giant TCX2 bike a year ago. Its great for the Wicklow back roads and offroad too. Would probably be ideal for the likes of this race. Got it from cyclesuperstore.

yeah was in their store the other day, the price on the Giant TCX2 is €899

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    What times are people hoping for? i finished the first WAR in 5.40 and West Wicklow Roar in 4.45 but i reckon ill be 5 to 5.30 for WAR Glenmalure.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    guapos wrote: »
    What times are people hoping for? i finished the first WAR in 5.40 and West Wicklow Roar in 4.45 but i reckon ill be 5 to 5.30 for WAR Glenmalure.
    My times for both events are identical to yours, but realistically Im expecting to be slower for this one, its a tougher race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

how does the mountain run compared to the one in WAR in april does anyone know?

that was well tough that!

well, considering it took me 7hrs and 1 minute to do the gaelforce (first timer and i stopped to take pictures and do repairs etc...)I will be happy to just compete.

What do th elite's usually do it in, so i can get a gauge of how slow or fast the event is with reference to gaelforce (where the elites do 3hr 50)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Is anyone else doing the sport version of this? From what I can see the route has completely changed. I thought there was a run up carrawaysitck and then a kayak and cycle but now it says run Kirikee Mountain, Cycle, River run & obstacle course ...this seems to be added to the main course too!

Can anyone confirm that they have changed the routes or am i looking at the wrong page??

Fi H wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing the sport version of this? From what I can see the route has completely changed. I thought there was a run up carrawaysitck and then a kayak and cycle but now it says run Kirikee Mountain, Cycle, River run & obstacle course ...this seems to be added to the main course too!

Can anyone confirm that they have changed the routes or am i looking at the wrong page??

WTF:eek:

Just looked at the site there and your correct, they have changed it:confused:

Poor form making such dramatic changes so close to the race especially to the running order which is now run first rather than cycle.
    I actually rather having the run first as it will spread out the field early on and make it safer for when we get to the bikes but it wont suit everyone.
    The obstacle course should be fun but i hope its gonna be detailed to us before hand so we know what to expect as with fatigue setting in at that stage of a race it could be very easy to make a mistake and hurt yourself.

Just spoke to the organiser and he said there was a problem getting access to the lake. There is going to be no kayak section now and they will be sending out information email today or tomorrow. Onstacle course will be v short.

:( Kayaking is the only thing I am good at! Looks like another last place for me :)

I am going to try and get out and do a recce on the new Kirakee route so will try and get photos if i can, but its accross farmers land so not 100% it will be accessble before the race.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah I wondered at the site having new course info but not a dickybird announcing the change on the home page. You can understand the issues, they happen, at least they will be letting everyone know. Such a pity about the run/kayak/run stage, that would have been a good challenge.

Hope the assault course is mental, I like them. :)

Yeah, it is a pity! The email is out now so anyone who has entered should have it. TBH I'm not sure i would have entered if i had known it would end up like this, but what the hell, in for a penny.....

4 stars (good)
    Yeah just got that email. And to be honest its a very good response. Full refund offered and a voucher to compensate competitors.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah I wondered at the site having new course info but not a dickybird announcing the change on the home page. You can understand the issues, they happen, at least they will be letting everyone know. Such a pity about the run/kayak/run stage, that would have been a good challenge.

Hope the assault course is mental, I like them. :)

I was really looking forward to that too.

Does anyone think that its a bit late for major course changes? Should all of the details been finalised before registration was even open?
    If this happened at gael force people would be going mental.

I still cant wait for it tho

Advertisement