Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wearing pyjamas in public

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

this is a message for all you mingers out there who insist on wearing pyjamas when going to the shop or as i saw the other day going into kfc on the childers road to get take away.you are disgusting it is disgusting.go home have a shower get dressed and go out shopping then like every other decent human being.

and shop keepers DONT LET THEM IN !!!!!! REFUSE TO SERVE THEM.they shouldnt be allowed near the place.its unhygienic and just downright wrong.youve slept in these clothes for god sake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

this is a message for all you mingers out there who insist on wearing pyjamas when going to the shop or as i saw the other day going into KFC( a takeaway for christ sake) on the childers road to get take away.you are disgusting, it is disgusting.go home have a shower get dressed and go out shopping then like every other decent human being.

and shop keepers DONT LET THEM IN !!!!!! REFUSE TO SERVE THEM.ive seen signs in doctors office's saying no pyjamas and rightly so.they shouldnt be allowed near the place.its unhygienic and just downright wrong.youve slept in these clothes for god sake.

rant over.

id love to hear a few opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

But they wear "going out" pjs during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

crazygeryy wrote: »
    youve slept in these clothes for god sake.

they haven't, they have "going out" pyjamas :D

HC got in there first :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

No man, you've mixed up night time and day time pyjamas. Day time ones are perfectly normal, even fashionable I might add. Your old ideas are tired and hackneyed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Threads merged. Crazygeryy, I think you'd like the Ranting & Raving forum, it's perfect for things like this. Post here to request access. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Oooh, he touched a nerve, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Crazy Gerry? Are you the same crazy gerry that hangs out at numerous bus stops and gets free transport everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Wait until the male scobes get jealous and start wondering around in their jocks, coz that's that they sleep in. :eek:

Seriously though. It is horrible to see these people in their pjs. It says a lot about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There was an article in the New York Times a while back about measuring economic activity in Ireland based on the pajama index. Apparently the wearing of pajamas in public started off over there in ghetto's like Oakland and Compton where unemployment is rife. The article specifically mentioned Limerick...it was emailed to me by an American friend, the shame :(

I have nothing positive to say about people who wear pajamas in public. If you want to look like a lowlife you couldn't find anything more suitable.

If business owners in Limerick stopped people from entering their stores because of pajamas then the entire city would be shut down in 24 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Link to article please, or copy and post text!
    I'm amazed people with access to the internet and the ability to spell are defending the wearing of skanger pj's!

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    Link to article please, or copy and post text!
    I'm amazed people with access to the internet and the ability to spell are defending the wearing of skanger pj's!

Here you go - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/business/worldbusiness/04ireland.html?pagewanted=all

It is not all about Limerick, here is the part about our lovely city.
    WHILE the pain is acute in Dublin, at least the city has the small comfort of having enjoyed the full benefit of the boom.

Such is not the case in the city of Limerick. Traditionally one of Ireland’s more depressed cities, Limerick was a latecomer to the property party. While there were some good times, the downturn has had a more wrenching effect there, with unemployment over 14 percent — among the highest rates in Ireland.

The layoffs have picked up speed around Limerick in the last month, as construction companies have stopped work, seemingly on a dime, sending such a procession of jobless to seek assistance that the local unemployment office became the second busiest in the country.

The waiting room in the office is dank and gloomy, and Dale McNamara, 20, wonders how a professional life once so charmed came to be so hopeless. Since graduating from high school as an electrician, flourishing building work in the area kept him more than busy and flush enough to buy a new car, start a family and consider buying a house.

Then, without warning on Dec. 5, he was told that it would be his last day of work, just six months before he would have received his certificate as an independent electrician.

Since then, he has been frantically knocking on doors, but to no avail. Now, as rent, heating bills and car payments pile up, he is beginning to feel desperate, unable to afford a night out or a Christmas present for his 20-month-old baby.

“If I don’t get a job in the next two weeks, I am worried about losing my house,” he says. “We have no money.”

He looks at his number in the unemployment lines and grimaces — he has been waiting four hours now and his name has still not been called.

“My grandfather says this reminds him of the 1930s when everyone left for America and Australia,” he adds. “There is just no work here.”

More dire, however, is the condition of the permanently unemployed in Limerick’s festering ghettoes, where experts say the unemployment rate touches 70 percent. During the early years of the economic revival, the government did its best to spread money to such areas, which are a feature of urban life all over Ireland.

IN fact, it was through social housing projects like these that Mr. Dunne got his start as a developer. But as the investment returns in the private sector became quite obviously more lucrative, the attention paid to so-called social estates like Moyross, on the northern outskirts of Limerick, wavered.

Crime, gangland disputes and a sense of anomie flourished as Moyross and other similar projects evolved as cocoons of poverty and hopelessness amid the riches and celebration of the Irish miracle.

“This place missed out entirely on the moment,” says Stephen Kinsella, an economist at the University of Limerick. “There has been no accumulation of wealth here.”

Walking through the garbage-strewn, empty roads on a cold, misty afternoon, Mr. Kinsella points to the shuttered houses and the mothers still dressed in pajamas taking their children home from school. Social workers in Moyross refer to the “pajama index”: the more men and women one sees who do not take the time and care to dress for the day, the worse the economic situation tends to be.

The Irish government has recently begun a regeneration project in Moyross that would result in large new investments in housing and infrastructure, but the going so far has been slow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

is your life so sh1t that you care this much what other people wear? lol
    Story_Bud wrote: »
    Why comment on what people wear like tbh bit sad just get on with your lives

If you two have nothing constructive to add to this thread, don't bother posting in it. These quoted comments are pointless and annoying. Nothing within it, apart from these quoted posts, breaks the forum Charter. Nobody is making ye read the thread. Leave it to the people who want to use it.

Because it adds to the image of the city as a festering slum. The only sad thing is that people think it is ok to go out in public dressed like escaped psychiatric patients. It displays a contempt for what is considered acceptable and unsurprisingly comes from the same section of society who display a similar attitude to other things such as civic responsibility and adhering to the law.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Crazy Gerry? Are you the same crazy gerry that hangs out at numerous bus stops and gets free transport everywhere

no im not that guy but i wish i was he sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

crazygeryy wrote: »
    no im not that guy but i wish i was he sounds cool.

Yeah thought it was too good to be true, god knows why you would call yourself crazy gerry, if you were actually crazy

(its the guy with the lidl bag and umbrella)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

i know exactly who you are talking about ! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

So you thinks its fair to criticise what people wear on the internet even do these people haven't even bothered you apart from wearing pyjamas .. LOL

they dont need to "bother me " im giving my opinion.and your missing the point its not the fact that they are wearing the pyjamas. its where! they are wearing them.do it at home not in ****ing kfc where other people are eating.

So you thinks its fair to criticise what people wear on the internet even do these people haven't even bothered you apart from wearing pyjamas .. LOL
    OK sorry, i agree totally with the OP :rolleyes:

boards.ie now ye're talkin' as long as you all agree

It's a discussion board. People here obviously want to discuss this topic. The pair of you just want to drag it off topic.

You wouldn't interrupt a conversation between friends in a pub to tell them all to shut up. Show some respect and stop trying to ruin this thread.

Posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You wouldn't interrupt a conversation between friends in a pub to tell them all to shut up.
    If my friends were looking at a person in the pub, and based on nothing more than an item of clothing worn by that person, were concluding that they were disgusting creatures with no responsibility or respect for the law, I'd say I'd tell them to shut up.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you'd be hard-pushed to find a pub serving people in their pyjamas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

What if these were my pjs?? :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8A2Gd61j2XFbAw4AGDUtXMtJ5b7WzW0oLhVTsz8S1N3G_AvA&t=1&usg=__Da2vPfCPGpSPSp0JiqypxQOGkIo=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What if these were my pjs?? :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8A2Gd61j2XFbAw4AGDUtXMtJ5b7WzW0oLhVTsz8S1N3G_AvA&t=1&usg=__Da2vPfCPGpSPSp0JiqypxQOGkIo=

Haha... it would depend on whats underneath !!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would you ask for a slippery nipple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My opinion is that if someone is waltzing around town in PJs they're probably really lazy f**kers.

And how could your standard PJ be even remotely attractive enough to decide walking around town with it on? :confused:

Although most of the PJ wearers aren't exactly models! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I saw one person sit down for dinner in a restaurant wearing them.
    A reasonably formal restaurant, not somewhere like eddie rocket's or wokking.
    The place is closed now. Closed soon after, in fact, even though it had always seemed to do good business.

I wonder do the people think it's cool to look like you've just wandered off from your hospital bed. More likely they have no sense of pride or shame. More likely again, they're communicating that they don't give a fnck about what's acceptable (they don't), or about how people see them (they do).

Businesses won't refuse to serve people wearing pyjamas. This is a city where people get shot for refusing to serve the "wrong person".

Where's Batman when you need him? Oh yeah - painting over graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pwd wrote: »
    I saw one person sit down for dinner in a restaurant wearing them.
    A reasonably formal restaurant, not somewhere like eddie rocket's or wokking.
    The place is closed now. Closed soon after, in fact, even though it had always seemed to do good business.

I wonder do the people think it's cool to look like you've just wandered off from your hospital bed. More likely they have no sense of pride or shame. More likely again, they're communicating that they don't give a fnck about what's acceptable (they don't), or about how people see them (they do).

Businesses won't refuse to serve people wearing pyjamas. This is a city where people get shot for refusing to serve the "wrong person".

Where's Batman when you need him? Oh yeah - painting over graffiti.

Or else they are comfortable and don't care what other people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Or else they are comfortable and don't care what other people think?
    Maybe... But my strong impression is that people like that are usually extremely sensitive to what people think, although they try to project an image of not caring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I guess you could look at it that people should wear what they like.

But on the flip side, it does give a certain impression about the place, if I was some hot shot executive looking to set up an operation in Limerick i probably wouldn't get a good impression of some of the potential workforce if I came here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I thought this craze had died down... havnt seen so many about as of late!

Advertisement