Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

altor wrote: »
    The installer should of excluded the pir in partset, he may of done this partset b.
    0#8

OK, I turned it on - waved hand in front of infrared, alarm went off, so no dice I guess.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

oceanclub wrote: »
    OK, I turned it on - waved hand in front of infrared, alarm went off, so no dice I guess.

P.

You could try to force arm the alarm. Enter 0 code ** yes. wave your hand at the motion while doing this. It should work till you can get your land lord to get the alarm sorted..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

You could try to force arm the alarm. Enter 0 code ** yes. wave your hand at the motion while doing this. It should work till you can get your land lord to get the alarm sorted..

As I'm renting, I don't want to mess around with the system; will leave it to the agent to sort it out, or just get someone myself if its cheap enough.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    As I'm renting, I don't want to mess around with the system; will leave it to the agent to sort it out, or just get someone myself if its cheap enough.

P.

All the force arm does is allows you to set the system with the pir open. The pir keeps picking you up when you set the alarm meaning it will activate when you walk in front of it. If you could get the account number off the alarm off the owner of the apartment, its either an A, B or a BA account number its only a mater of changing the setting in the zone options menu. I would be more than happy to talk you through doing this, might save you a few bob also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi All!

Can't set my HKC Securewatch Alarm cause is tells me one of my Zones is open even though its not :confused:

Alarm has worked flawlessly for 3.5 years - Not sure what I can do to fix this, tried killing mains power in an attempt to reset it but of course backup battery kicked in...... Is there a User reset function or equivalent from the Panel that might get it to rethink its status?

Can't see any sign of sensor or cable damage, no reason to think boat was rocked in any way......

Have the Engineer Code and am reasonably capable of following instructions from those who are in the know!!!!

All advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    Hi All!

Can't set my HKC Securewatch Alarm cause is tells me one of my Zones is open even though its not :confused:

Alarm has worked flawlessly for 3.5 years - Not sure what I can do to fix this, tried killing mains power in an attempt to reset it but of course backup battery kicked in...... Is there a User reset function or equivalent from the Panel that might get it to rethink its status?

Can't see any sign of sensor or cable damage, no reason to think boat was rocked in any way......

Have the Engineer Code and am reasonably capable of following instructions from those who are in the know!!!!

All advice appreciated.

Could be either a loose cable or a sensor on the open zone gone faulty. Best thing to do is enter 0#3 on the keypad. This is the user walk test. Go around and tap each sensor a few times, plus open and close any sensors that have magnets on them. After identifying the sensors and zone that does not work, enter your user code to disarm the user walk test. Enter your engineering code, it will bring you into service menu, press yes, hit next till you see open inputs menu, press yes, it will say show open inputs, press yes. If the zone in question is still open it will show this zone as open. Make sure all magnets if any on the zone are closed. Open the sensors one at a time on this zone and check there are no loose cables plus the sensor head has an arrow on it, make sure this is pointing up. If you still have the problem after doing this you will need a multimeter which you will set on continuity. Put the meter across the terminals of the alarm on the sensor to see if that is what is open. If you find one not ringing with the multimeter that is your sensor thats causing the problem. Another way to test the sensors is on a length of cable connected to the sensor and the other end to the multimeter. Set the multimeter to continuity, make a note of the reading before you tap or open the sensor, with the meter in your hand open and close each contact plus tap each sensor a few times one by one. After each tap or open close the reading should return to the same reading. If the level stays higher than the original reading this is your faulty sensor. Do this on all the sensors on the zone that has the problem as there may be more that one faulty sensor.

Any problems let us know..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It sounds like a faulty sensor or sticky contact
    You could put your meter on continuity, connect to zone pair at panel and short out each sensor until you get continuity. This will only work if it's wired double pole.
    Or use the walk test function to do the same but be gentle with the sensors as you could un-stick the contact. The fault will go away if the contact un-sticks itself but will return later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Altor and Jnealon thank you both very much for taking the time to post back with all the advice and so much detailed information.

- It'll be later when I get a chance to look at this again, but I'm sure its a door which has a single vibration sensor and also a single open/closed (two magnet type) one - so at least I know my starting point......

Once I manage to borrow/buy a Multimeter I'll get testing - Will post back once sorted.

Thanks again :)

P.S. - Didn't want to double post just to add this, I just recently heard I can change my SMS over Landline module (Not sure what correct name is) for one that will ring out with a recorded message instead?

- Reason I'd need this is because I am with Smart Telecom and they don't support SMS on their Landlines.

Would that be expensive? Couldn't I just buy one somewhere and self fit it with a bit of research and perseverance?

Altor and Jnealon thank you both very much for taking the time to post back with all the advice and so much detailed information.

- It'll be later when I get a chance to look at this again, but I'm sure its a door which has a single vibration sensor and also a single open/closed (two magnet type) one - so at least I know my starting point......

Once I manage to borrow/buy a Multimeter I'll get testing - Will post back once sorted.

Thanks again :)

Your welcome, always happy to help..
    P.S. - Didn't want to double post just to add this, I just recently heard I can change my SMS over Landline module (Not sure what correct name is) for one that will ring out with a recorded message instead?

- Reason I'd need this is because I am with Smart Telecom and they don't support SMS on their Landlines.

Would that be expensive? Couldn't I just buy one somewhere and self fit it with a bit of research and perseverance?

You could install a gardtec speech dialer, this is connected to the external bell output and when the alarm activates you get a prerecorded message. Trade price would be no use to you but if you google gardtec speech dialer you can get them for about £100. It is very easy to program and use.

Texecom do a nice little text/voice unit for around the same price as the Gardtec, if not cheaper. It will work with the O2 and vodafone message servers as the the eircom server will block smart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Just as a matter of interest, what can you do if you have a voIP phone (services from blueface.ie for example) and you want to get a notifyied if it is set off. Does the gardtech work with voIP. As using a mobile carrier is more expensive and unreliable. I'm talking, you use the dialler with the ata or something. Is there any solution with ethernet cable?

What setup is best?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Take a look at http://www.voip-info.org/
    My opinion on using GSM now is it is too expensive for the level of reliability you are getting.
    There are a lot of routers now that give you a standard analouge phone line out.
    For central station monitoring there are a number of stations working on an IP solution .

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what can you do if you have a voIP phone (services from blueface.ie for example) and you want to get a notifyied if it is set off. Does the gardtech work with voIP. As using a mobile carrier is more expensive and unreliable. I'm talking, you use the dialler with the ata or something. Is there any solution with ethernet cable?

What setup is best?.

It will work with the gardtec but to be honest if your thinking of monitoring your alarm this way you will need to install a back up power supply on the modem for if the electricity is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

Hi,

I have a 10 year old Aritech alarm. I need to move the keypad from the front door to near the back door, as I rarely use the front door.

The most convenient place is on the end of a kitchen press unit. I have a number of devices on this end press (phone and router). I just drilled a hole in it to pass the cabling through, and all the power sockets etc are on top of the kitchen units.

I was wondering if I could have the keypad cable go through this hole, up inside the press unit, on to the top of the presses... along there and through a hole in the wall.... right to where the existing alarm panel is?

Or is that against regulations?

Thanks.

merc3ps wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 10 year old Aritech alarm. I need to move the keypad from the front door to near the back door, as I rarely use the front door.

The most convenient place is on the end of a kitchen press unit. I have a number of devices on this end press (phone and router). I just drilled a hole in it to pass the cabling through, and all the power sockets etc are on top of the kitchen units.

I was wondering if I could have the keypad cable go through this hole, up inside the press unit, on to the top of the presses... along there and through a hole in the wall.... right to where the existing alarm panel is?

Or is that against regulations?

Thanks.

Hi merc3ps,

If your doing the work yourself and the alarm has not be serviced in the last year the alarm is not up to the standards anyway. It is against the regulation to have exposed cables up to a certain height but it wont affect you if the alarm is not up to the standards.

Hi merc3ps,

If your doing the work yourself and the alarm has not be serviced in the last year the alarm is not up to the standards anyway. It is against the regulation to have exposed cables up to a certain height but it wont affect you if the alarm is not up to the standards.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have it mentioned on my house insurance that I have an alarm.

I have never had the alarm serviced in the approx 10 years. Oh actually I once had a PIR removed from a conservatory.

I would not be doing the work myself.

Do you know the specific on the heights? Are you saying you can't have them exposed at low heights or up high?

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have it mentioned on my house insurance that I have an alarm.

I have never had the alarm serviced in the approx 10 years. Oh actually I once had a PIR removed from a conservatory.

I would not be doing the work myself.

Do you know the specific on the heights? Are you saying you can't have them exposed at low heights or up high?

You may have it on your insurance that you have an alarm but it would need to be put down as an EN50131 alarm for it to cause you any bother with them. The alarm needs to be installed plus serviced every year by a certified company to claim it is to this standard. If you employ some one to work on your alarm they also need to be PSA registered or you and the person doing the work would be at fault. Check out the PSA website for more info. If the cable is going along the ceiling height that is ok, below this is not.

If the cable is going along the ceiling height that is ok, below this is not.

Does this just apply to EN50131, or in general?

Does this just apply to EN50131, or in general?

EN50131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 misslee

i bought an aztec fushion alarm and am having problems wiring the deltabell sabb to it.could sum1 email me please with wiring diagrams.thanks [email]marklynam23@yahoo.com"]marklynam23@yahoo.com[/email]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not a good idea to put your email on a public forum.
    Please post up the connections that are on the bell & on the panel & I will line them up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭upsilon

I am looking for an aritech distributor for wicklow/ dublin south where I could buy arithech parts for a CS350.
    Any suggestion?
    many thanks

upsilon wrote: »
    I am looking for an aritech distributor for wicklow/ dublin south where I could buy arithech parts for a CS350.
    Any suggestion?
    many thanks

What parts do you need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭upsilon

Just a few magnetic door sensors, and IR, I looking into getting a dialler, something that would send txt message from land line.

Just a few magnetic door sensors, and IR, I looking into getting a dialler, something that would send txt message from land line.

You don't necessarily need Aritech components for the alarm. You could ring Aritech and they will know the closes place to you with regard buying the components but any make will do.
    With regards the texting from the panel you can only install a voice dialer for this alarm, you would need to buy Aritech RD 5045N and TD8812 to do this. A better option would be to install a voice dialer like a Gardtec Speech Dialer. It is connected to power plus to the external bell off the alarm, very easy to install plus program.

Texecom do speech and voice in one unit whick will work with your alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

Hi - sorry if this has been covered, but it's a really long thread by now, and the Search didn't bring up any answers.
    I have an Aritech wireless system, about 16 months old.
    Got a keyfob on/off switch with it, but I lost my keys a couple of weeks ago...

What's the best way for me to replace the fob?
    Do I have to go back to the installers?

Thanks!

Hi - sorry if this has been covered, but it's a really long thread by now, and the Search didn't bring up any answers.
    I have an Aritech wireless system, about 16 months old.
    Got a keyfob on/off switch with it, but I lost my keys a couple of weeks ago...

What's the best way for me to replace the fob?
    Do I have to go back to the installers?

Thanks!

Hi armadillo1916,

You will need the engineering code off the system to delete or add a keyfob on to the alarm. You might be better off contacting your installer as the lost keyfob will need to be deleted off the system either way as with the press of a button your alarm can be turned off. If you have the code yourself it is easy to do.

If you have a CS250 installed you will get the user manual here.

It is all explained very well in the manual. Any problems let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

Thanks Altor

It is indeed a CS250 - I found the manual, but cheers for the PDF link as well.
    Is the engineering code you mention, the "super user code" that the manual talks about?
    I'm guessing that's not the code the installer gave me - although I did get to create my own 4-digit code, so maybe I do have it. (Would seem a bit risky for an installer to have a super user code for my alarm.)
    Is there somewhere I can buy a 'blank' RF fob and program it for my system? (The installer didn't fill in the RF settings in the spaces in the manual before leaving it with me.)
    Sorry for all the Q's - normally I'd go and start pressing buttons to figure this kind of stuff out, but I can't right now, so I'm looking for a steer before I start messing with it tomorrow !
    Cheers for any help -

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement