Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 24: Chilli!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Looking forward to trying this. I'll have to wait til I come across some of the ingredients though.

I've a few questions:
    1) About how much flour do you need - couple of spoon fulls?
    2) How much garlic? Looks like 3 or 4 cloves?
    3) If I can't get dried chillis I was going to just use 2 or 3 normal chilis with the seeds in. Does that sound ok?
    4) How much bacon? Looks about 200g?

Was a bit of work to summarise the shopping list but since I have it typed I'll post it up too in case it's handy for anyone else:

chipotle chillis in adobo sauce (1 tsp per batch of meat)
    masa harina (or plain flour)
    4 rehydrated dried new mexico red chillis

2 chopped fresh chillis
    2 chopped onions
    a pound and a half of chopped beef (pref stewing, shin etc) (680g)
    smashed and chopped garlic
    diced choritzo (about an inch of it)
    diced ginger (about an inch of it)
    lightly trimmed and cubed unsmoked back bacon (about 200g?)
    a pound of rib steak mince (450g)
    a pound of black and/or pinto beans (450g) (red kidney beans will do)

Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
    ordinary beer (not stout, wheatbeer or lager)
    Nam Pla/fish sauce(0.5 tsp)
    tomato puree (2 tbsp)
    dried thyme (2 tsp)
    paprika (1 tsp)
    jalapeno chilli flakes (1 tsp)
    star anise (1 or 2)

1tsp cumin seeds
    0.5tsp fennel seeds
    0.5tsp black peppercorns
    1tsp sea salt
    1tsp chilli powder

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looking forward to trying this. I'll have to wait til I come across some of the ingredients though.

I've a few questions:
    1) About how much flour do you need - couple of spoon fulls?
    Start with a tablespoon full, stir in, let cook for a few minutes (the flour has to hydrate) and see if it's thickened enough. If it has, stop, if not, add a level teaspoon more and repeat. You want to add it slowly because it's a lot easier to thicken the gravy than to thin it. An exact answer is hard here, because it depends on how much liquid is in the pot after cooking, and that depends on the ingredients used, for example, what kind of beans you used (or if you used them), how much water was in the tomato paste, how dry you cooked the mince, and so on.
    2) How much garlic? Looks like 3 or 4 cloves?
    There were about six medium-sized cloves smashed and minced in mine.
    But I like garlic :D
    3) If I can't get dried chillis I was going to just use 2 or 3 normal chilis with the seeds in. Does that sound ok?
    I'd leave the seeds out, especially if you've not had chilli before. And yes, it sounds fine. The dried chillis tend to add more flavour than heat, which is why I keep them about, but if you can't get dried, fresh will still give you flavour as well.
    4) How much bacon? Looks about 200g?
    A little bit more I think - it's basicly a little over an inch of back bacon cut down to small cubes, with some of the fat trimmed away (but not all!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Couldn't get the buckin chipotle chillis in adobo sauce anywhere, gonna plough on regardless so if there's anything I should adjust to balance for this let me know please.

I'm doing some nachos either to start or along with the dish so any recommendations for dressing these would be most welcome.

I've never found anything that quite substitutes for the chipotles I'm afraid :(
    Marks and Sparks are doing a smoked chipotle salsa at the moment which has a similar flavour, but I don't know if it'd survive being used as a glaze when browning meat like that (and some joker put sweetcorn in it).

As to the nachos, I'm unfussy. One bowl with chips, one with guacamole (homemade, with lots of tomatoes and some jalapenos thrown in as well). Done.

Couldn't get the buckin chipotle chillis in adobo sauce anywhere
    I called into Fallon&Byrnes this evening and they're right there in the mexican food rack:

attachment.php?attachmentid=118758&stc=1&d=1278017981

Looks like this close up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=118759&stc=1&d=1278018196

Also, there's masa harina (middle of the shelf above it, the white bag), lots of dried whole chillis in various plastic pouches on either side of the rack, and those metal tins to the right of the chipotle jars are dried and chopped ancho and habenero chillis - very convienent, and which I'm using more and more I find. Not the habenero ones though, they'd burn the backside off an armadillo.

• Advertisement

It's one the tastiest dishes that I've done from the CC so far. A real winner and a new favourite with everyone here. I ended up using 2 fresh and 6 dried chillies and am really looking forward to getting the chipotles now to see what they bring to the party. Sparks, thanks a million, win win. It didn't need the rice. The nacho's were great with it btw.

The batteries on both cameras were dead so had to use the camera phone.

IMG_0114.jpg

Sparks wrote: »
    I called into Fallon&Byrnes this evening and they're right there in the mexican food rack

Also, there's masa harina (middle of the shelf above it, the white bag), lots of dried whole chillis in various plastic pouches on either side of the rack, and those metal tins to the right of the chipotle jars are dried and chopped ancho and habenero chillis - very convienent, and which I'm using more and more I find. Not the habenero ones though, they'd burn the backside off an armadillo.

I'm normally in Dublin a lot but just haven't had cause to go up recently. I'm up there next weekend and will swing by F&B. Thanks for confirming they're there.

Sparks, thanks a million, win win.
    Cheers Magnolia.
    Yes, I can indeed cook a dream meal in a kitchen I built with my own hands. Screw you Old Spice :D
    It didn't need the rice.
    Yup, but where it's really good as well is if you do a mission-style burrito with it.
    Take one large flour tortilla, spread a bit of sour cream over the top two thirds of the surface, sprinkle over some rice, spoon on some of the chilli and some of Marks'n'Sparks chipotle salsa (ignoring the sweetcorn some idiot put in it) and wrap it up. Very filling, very delicious.
    The nacho's were great with it btw.
    And you got the right chips too - much more structurally sound than the dorito standard :D
    The batteries on both cameras were dead so had to use the camera phone.
    Looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Did this last night. I'm no chilli connoisseur but it's the best I ever had. Makes what I thought was Chilli seem like baby food or somethin.

Went into F&B to get the stuff (btw, had some lunch upstairs and it wasn't great :/) but they've great ingredients downstairs. Next time you're in there pick up some smoked salt or "sel fumé" I think it said on the bottle.

Anyway, the chipotle chilis in adobo sauce are something else alright - can see why you advise not to skip it. Are there any other recipes you use it in?

Next time I make this I'll do a double batch and freeze it in bags.

Nice one sparks, cracking recipe.

Did this last night. I'm no chilli connoisseur but it's the best I ever had. Makes what I thought was Chilli seem like baby food or somethin.
    Aw, shucks :)
    Anyway, the chipotle chilis in adobo sauce are something else alright - can see why you advise not to skip it. Are there any other recipes you use it in?
    Damn near every tex-mex kind of meal I cook.

For example, cut three or four chicken breasts into largish chunks (the main breast should give five or six, the little fillet another one or two bits). In a large mixing bowl mix a tablespoon of the adobo sauce, the juice of one lime (reserve the halves), a teaspoon each of salt and paprika, a half-teaspoon of chilli powder and cumin seeds, a teaspoon or so of tomato puree and about two tablespoons of olive oil (you could use peanut if you have it as well). Whisk all that to a smooth paste and if doesn't have the consistency of a thick tomato soup, add more oil until it does. Then chop the remains of the lime into four quarters, chuck them into the marinade and add the chicken. Toss to coat, cover over and marinade in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably for a few more. Never left it overnight, but it ought to be okay.

Then fry it off in the skillet until it's cooked through (should be ~10-15 minutes, don't use high heat, you want to cook, not sear), and pour off the excess liquid in the skillet. Set the chicken aside on a cutting board to cool for a few minutes, and in the skillet, cook some julienne'd onions and green peppers at high heat until soft; put them in a bowl. Cook a cup of basmati rice; add to another serving bowl. Cook some pinto beans, either from dry (best results) or reheated from a can (meh, it's all good), and put them in yet another serving bowl. Now go back to the chicken, and chop it down from the large chunks to much smaller chunks so it almost looks shredded. You want the bits to be the same size as the bits of onion you get if you roughly chop an onion. Put the result in a serving bowl and put on the table with some sour cream, some salsa and flour tortillas, and you have proper chipotle&lime marinaded chicken mission-style burritos, served family style.
    (To assemble, it's a schmear of sour cream on the tortilla, a layer of rice, a scattering of beans, a line of shredded chicken topped by a line of salsa, all rolled up and scoffed).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mix to get it all combined, then bring the mix back up to a boil, clamp on the lid of the pressure cooker, build up to pressure then back off the heat to a simmer and leave it there for 90 minutes.

Seeing as I don't have a pressure cooker, how long do you think I should leave it before adding the flour ?

Also you say to avoid larger but you have a bottle of Zywiec in one of the photographs.
    Isn't that larger ?

Generally you're looking at a few hours Ponster. You add the flour right at the very end, same as with the pressure cooker, but the cooking time is going to be anywhere from four to six hours (or even longer) depending on the meat itself. When the meat chunks are falling apart is when it's done, basicly.

And the beer was the heaviest I could find to hand that wasn't stout. You just want something that's middle-of-the-road. Budweiser and other lagers are too light; stouts get really bitter when you cook them. And I wouldn't waste tsing tao and it's too light anyway :D So whatever you have that fits that bill will do. (Actually, you can use lagers and nothing goes too wrong, you just get better flavour with beer - so if the choice is lager or stout, use the lager and don't worry about it).

(Actually, you can use lagers and nothing goes too wrong, you just get better flavour with beer - so if the choice is lager or stout, use the lager and don't worry about it).

Now I've had a couple of Paddys so don't mind me if this comes over as drunk-talk but larger is beer though not all beer is larger.
    What you used in you recipe is larger though you told us to avoid it.

I guess you mean to use a well-rounded beer more-like an ale than tasteless yellow water? :)

All lager is beer, but when I said beer, I was shorthanding for "a middle-of-the-road, not-lager, not-stout beer" :D

And yes, ale would be a better word to use :D

So seeing as it's July 14th and to celebrate my 12th year living in France I've decided to make chilli :)

I had to adjust some of the ingredients that weren't all that easy to find in Paris but strangely enough I had no problem in getting the specific Mexician ones :)

I'll post back here in about 4 hours !

009.jpg

015.jpg

I got a couple of jars of chipotle chillis in adobo sauce from F&B so this dish will be on the hob before long \o/

I also added some beef stock as I found it was a little dry in the post when cooking even with the beer, just fyi. Don't know if this was sacrilegious?

There's no sacrilege in beef stock :) I generally like my chilli a little on the dry side - I think that the soup-like mince-based stuff served in some places is more properly called slop - but a looser chilli isn't all bad. 'Course, you could just add more beer and the meat and the cooking time would turn it into a beef stock :D

. 'Course, you could just add more beer and the meat and the cooking time would turn it into a beef stock :D

This is what I'm going to do. 1.5 hours into the cooking and I can see that it's going to be much too dry when I get around to adding the flour.

Well, if it's in an open pot, you'll have to add liquid continually as you go. You're aiming for a braise really, not a soup or a saute, so you have to add little and often (about a cup every 20 minutes or so, depending on heat, less if you have the lid on).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I made the chili again! I added too little chili this time :p
    Question - is there any place i can buy the chipotle in adobe around swords or the adjoining area? (I promise to get to F&B if not)
    Also would this slow cooker from argos be good to cook the chili in?http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966260

One last thing I had no beer for the last batch and added some beef stock instead, I wouldnt do that again. More chili more beer!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've had a go at this but because I'm difficult, I just can never follow a recipe to the letter. (I actually make a lot of the cooking club recipes, but end up tweaking all the time hence I don't post because I don't want people to think I'm taking the piss out of their recipe. In your case, however, Sparks, I reckon you can take it. I mean you can cope with it without taking it personally, as opposed to tekkit. :D )

Part of the reason for this is unavailability of ingredients, but the rest of it is definitely me not leaving well enough alone.

Things I love about this recipe: no tins of tomatoes, the combination of meat chunks with minced meat, the use of dried beans (FAR more flavour!), the addition of star anise, ginger and thyme.

Things I haven't tried: cooking it in beer (used beef stock instead), chipotle chilis in adobo sauce.

Things I've substituted: I made my own adobo paste for flavouring the dish, using a recipe previously posted by Minder from a few years back, involving blending two rehydrated dried adobo chilis, one chipotle chili, onion, red wine vinegar, garlic, orange juice, honey, salt and lime juice with a little of the soaking liquid from rehydrating the chilis. This worked extremely well to flavour the dish. I also put the rest of the soaking liquid in to the dish along with beef stock. You don't get a dish that's too liquid, and the flavour is all good.

I've made this three times, and altered it each time - we're BIG chilli eaters in this house, we'd have it happily three times a week. It's my fallback dish for the nights I'm working and don't want to cook. Sometimes we eat it with rice, occasionally tortilla chips and melted cheese if we're feeling greedy, other times in flour tortillas with mango salsa, guacamole and rocket leaves if we feel the need for more fruit and veg. Hence the extreme interest in alternative chili recipes.

The next time around, I'll be using most of the Sparks based ingredients, with the dried beans, my adobo paste, and BEER.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

I shall be making this !

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Glad I found this thread. Well done Sparks. I'm a total chilihead. :D

The hotter the better for me. The OH can only eat the milder versions but at least she eats it.

Made my usual chili once for a colleague. I don;t serve it with rice or anything, just straight from the pot. Anyway, he had two tea-spoons full of it and that was that. He said it was "too hot". Whimp. My grandparents eat my chili. :P As I had just moved house I didn't have much food in the house so he ate through my whole chocolate supply and drank all the sodas he could find.

Anyway, was wondering if there is a chili society/club in Ireland? I know about the international ones located in the U.S. and a couple of online blogs/websites in the U.K. (including some very good suppliers of all things chili) but chili doesn't seem to have its own appreciation club here.

There should be at least a forum/subforum or social group. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

ro_bilco wrote: »
    I shall be making this !

Nice one

Made this yesterday ... Sticking as close as possible to the original recipe (resisting my temptation to put in some of my "Dave's insanity hot sause")

Didn't need any flour at the end to thicken, but I think that might be because I had more meat than was in the recipe

Finished cooking at 1am last night (After simmering for about 5 hours in total) ... And left it until this morning, when I brought a bowl of it into work for lunch.

Have just eaten it ..... WOW !

Thats some serious flavour ... Nicest chilli I've ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Oh man, how did I miss this awesomeness?

I will most certainly be giving this a go over the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Still havent been able to get to fallon and byrne to get chile to make this so found an on line store it has everything http://www.coolchile.co.uk/ delivery is 7 pounds so i'll order plenty of stuff to make it worth my while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Just wanted to update on this recipe a bit...

Now, I really like the recipes so far in the Cooking Club and I have actually tried them all! :D However, this is the first recipe that has me "craving". If you look at my pic below you might understand why. :pac:

So, Sparks, great recipe. And, I think it's cool the way that you are "shepherding" your baby here. Any time someone makes a reply, you reply back. Nice one!
    I actually make a lot of the cooking club recipes, but end up tweaking all the time hence I don't post because I don't want people to think I'm taking the piss out of their recipe. In your case, however, Sparks, I reckon you can take it. I mean you can cope with it without taking it personally, as opposed to tekkit. :D )

Part of the reason for this is unavailability of ingredients, but the rest of it is definitely me not leaving well enough alone.

Things I've substituted: I made my own adobo paste for flavouring the dish, using a recipe previously posted by Minder from a few years back, involving blending two rehydrated dried adobo chilis, one chipotle chili, onion, red wine vinegar, garlic, orange juice, honey, salt and lime juice with a little of the soaking liquid from rehydrating the chilis. This worked extremely well to flavour the dish. I also put the rest of the soaking liquid in to the dish along with beef stock. You don't get a dish that's too liquid, and the flavour is all good.

Could have been written by me, Sweeper! :D I condensed some of your post, but I agree all the way.
    foodaholic wrote: »
    Still havent been able to get to fallon and byrne to get chile to make this so found an on line store it has everything http://www.coolchile.co.uk/ delivery is 7 pounds so i'll order plenty of stuff to make it worth my while

Leading on from Sweeper's post...

I too made my own chipotle. Tesco have a cooking ingredients range called "Ingredients" (I'm sure that most people here know it already) and part of the range is chipotle chillies. They are about €2.50 for 15g, which is four or five chillies. By the way, ALDI also had chipotles on offer last week.

The ingredients on the jar are water, vinegar, tomato puree, chipotles, onion, sugar, salt, garlic, herbs and spices.

I chopped everything into small pieces, simmered for 20 minutes and then blended and simmered for another five minutes.

I think it is a very good imitation of the original... nothing to do with me, mind... the exact ingredients are listed on the side of the jar. :)

Here it is, the stuff in the little bowl is what I made... as I said I am a bit of a chilli maniac... :D:):pac:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6901

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Thought here would be a good place to get an answer for this and hopefully no one minds, what restaurants would people recommend to get good chili in Dublin?

Great Chilli? Haven't found any. Hell, there's a shortage of good chilli, let alone great chilli in Dublin (along with decent BBQ and a few other food groups).

Cactus Jack's is decent enough workaday chilli, if a bit mild. Eddie rockets is awful muck, as are most places sadly (apparently chilli is the Irish word fo a loose mince and tomato sauce with sweetcorn and chilli powder and red kidney beans, cooked all day in a tureen :( ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Woe betide the well-being of anyone who tries to get an average/bad chilli past you, Sparks. :pac:

Advertisement