Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after Ag.Science...

Options
  • 24-06-2010 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

How did it go?

I left at 11:30, and to be honest I was practically done by 10:00.

I thought it was actually a really hard paper but ag.science is my best subject so I flew through it...

Hoping for a b1 at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Rotten paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Question 1 was a right b***ard but got two extra qusestions done in the last half an hour so was happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Short questions were very hard. I found the whole paper was quite a departure from all previous years. Asking stuff from the darkest corners of that horrible green book, and even some stuff that I don't even think is in the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

That was horrible.......

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

Horrific paper, q1 was a twat, and so was genetics, had to leave it out and pick another question! I think i Did ok in the experiments tho, so that'll carry me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nicolejessie

god it was a horrible paper way different dan previous years i was hopin for a b1 not gona get dat now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

It was harder than biology!!!! wtf!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

well there goes my hope of getting a good grade.. that was awful.. ¬!!
    especially the short questions.. they were a totally disaster..

parts of the questions were ok and other parts were just odd... like oh god most things..

oh well it is summer now... !! so its all over ..

HAPPPPY SUMMMER EVERY1!!!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

it was hidious.. nothing like the past exam papers.. those department of education bastards really ****ed us up this time.. like why would they do that?? .i didnt fail but i didnt get a A1..high C maybe :mad:2010 leaving cert was just th worst

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doubletrigger

horrible paper.. nothing on any of the usually stuff like silage or potatoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Healium wrote: »
    Short questions were very hard. I found the whole paper was quite a departure from all previous years. Asking stuff from the darkest corners of that horrible green book, and even some stuff that I don't even think is in the book!

Remember book =/= syllabus

Haven't seen the paper yet, so I won't see it now until it goes online this evening. General consensus here is not good by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 simbathelion

Personally i think that was a disaster, was hoping the animals would come up more or crops and even the short questions in question one were a bit out there! overall i do feel i passed the paper, but extremelly dissappointed... was hoping for a high grade. Experiment questions were nice, but the part (c) in the genetics?? what the hell was polyploidy? im good at genetics and its one my favs, but that part took me by surprise?!

Personally i found myself happy with one part of the question and then miserable with another part, didn't allow alot of room to show all the knowledge i had learnt. And what was a raddling harness in sheep production? And in option one question 3 part a(iv) how are we supposed to get the rate for culled cows for his herd?? iv never come across this and would appreciate anyone who could explain it to me...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

Personally i think that was a disaster, was hoping the animals would come up more or crops and even the short questions in question one were a bit out there! overall i do feel i passed the paper, but extremelly dissappointed... was hoping for a high grade. Experiment questions were nice, but the part (c) in the genetics?? what the hell was polyploidy? im good at genetics and its one my favs, but that part took me by surprise?!

Personally i found myself happy with one part of the question and then miserable with another part, didn't allow alot of room to show all the knowledge i had learnt. And what was a raddling harness in sheep production? And in option one question 3 part a(iv) how are we supposed to get the rate for culled cows for his herd?? iv never come across this and would appreciate anyone who could explain it to me...

polyplodidy is more that 3 chromosomes

raddle is a strap that holds the ewe together when carrying triplets

UglyFuc wrote: »
    polyplodidy is more that 3 chromosomes

Yes, both of those are pretty straightforward questions and both are in the green book. Your raddle definition is incorrect however...

what was the question?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

****er of a paper. was really banking on it for points and even then i might just scrape the course

bastards.. indication plants? cross section of a tooth? burdizzo? genetics? wtf?

surely it will have to marked easier if every one think it was so hard.. worried now. change of mind here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

what was the question?
    The calving records on a dairy farm in one year show:
    30% purebred Friesian calves born, 55% Continental X Friesian ans 15% Aberdeen Angus X Friesian. The farmer relies on A.I. and has no stock bull. He breeds his own replacements.
    (iv) What is his replacement rate for culled cows?

That wasn't too nice of a paper, I defo got a lot lower than I was counting on getting.. :( Question one was horrible too! .. All the same, I kept writing for the whole two and a half hours, answered 8 questions & wrote 19 a4 pages!:eek: I better get attempt marks :P, thought my hand was gonna fall off.. :L

ajjmk wrote: »
    The calving records on a dairy farm in one year show:
    30% purebred Friesian calves born, 55% Continental X Friesian ans 15% Aberdeen Angus X Friesian. The farmer relies on A.I. and has no stock bull. He breeds his own replacements.
    (iv) What is his replacement rate for culled cows?

That wasn't too nice of a paper, I defo got a lot lower than I was counting on getting.. :( Question one was horrible too! .. All the same, I kept writing for the whole two and a half hours, answered 8 questions & wrote 19 a4 pages!:eek: I better get attempt marks :P, thought my hand was gonna fall off.. :L

In a dairy herd (green book) the replacement rate is meant to be 20% of herd every year. However I don't know if that is what they were looking for or if you were supposed to determine it from the figures above. The fact that it was 3 part (a) and that was one of four questions in part (a) would suggest to me that it was only worth about 4 marks and it would be the 20% figure they were looking for rather than a worked calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Surely all the culled cows should be replaced?

Thus the answer would be 100%?

It caught me too...?

****er of a paper. was really banking on it for points and even then i might just scrape the course

bastards.. indication plants? cross section of a tooth? burdizzo? genetics? wtf?

surely it will have to marked easier if every one think it was so hard.. worried now. change of mind here i come

indicator plants - never used the term myself, will have to add it to my list

thought these two were ok:

longitudinal cross section of a tooth is just the regular tooth diagram.
    burdizzo - used for castration, looks a bit like a pliers

had to look up the freemartin condition myself, never heard of it.
    didn't like the abbatoir question in Q9, course is not about meat treatment and production.

didn't like the AI sire catalogues question, don't think it's particularly fair.

I don't think you'll be alone, this problem will be country wide I reckon.

• Advertisement

!!! wrote: »
    Surely all the culled cows should be replaced?

Thus the answer would be 100%?

It caught me too...?

Very clever :pac: It reads like a riddle when you put it like that! I guess that makes it a poorly phrased question.

In a dairy herd (green book) the replacement rate is meant to be 20% of herd every year. However I don't know if that is what they were looking for or if you were supposed to determine it from the figures above. The fact that it was 3 part (a) and that was one of four questions in part (a) would suggest to me that it was only worth about 4 marks and it would be the 20% figure they were looking for rather than a worked calculation.

oh thats what i put thankfully, hopefully they'll accept it! what did you make of the paper overall? Do you think they've changed their angle from other years? I was hoping for an A1 but thats out the window, genetics was my banker and I had to do Q3 and just realised I mixed up the sheep raddle bit, damn! Thanks for your opinions rainbowtrout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

indicator plants - never used the term myself, will have to add it to my list

thought these two were ok:

longitudinal cross section of a tooth is just the regular tooth diagram.
    burdizzo - used for castration, looks a bit like a pliers

had to look up the freemartin condition myself, never heard of it.
    didn't like the abbatoir question in Q9, course is not about meat treatment and production.

didn't like the AI sire catalogues question, don't think it's particularly fair.

I don't think you'll be alone, this problem will be country wide I reckon.
    For the abbatoir one, would "it ensures less waste when the killing occurs...." count? Pure gues but I read someone that when you die everything in your colon is released :) and for hanging up the carcass-tenderises the meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

that paper was grand,i literally did 4 hours study for the exam throughout the year,that 4 hours study was the night before,did it outside of school, i knew i got 25% in the project,and was only going for a pass,got it anyway for def...

oh thats what i put thankfully, hopefully they'll accept it! what did you make of the paper overall? Do you think they've changed their angle from other years? I was hoping for an A1 but thats out the window, genetics was my banker and I had to do Q3 and just realised I mixed up the sheep raddle bit, damn! Thanks for your opinions rainbowtrout!

On reading a lot of the questions are fine, but the little bits that caused problems today seem to be throughout the paper rather than confined to one question. I don't think stuff should come up for the first time on a LC paper like freemartin condition. That's not really the way a course should develop.

But if everyone had problems the marking scheme will have to be adjusted to accommodate those problems, I don't think anyone should worry just yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:confused:

Isn't a raddling harness that yoke with dye which they put on a ram so that he marks each ewe as he ... eh ... "marks" her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

On reading a lot of the questions are fine, but the little bits that caused problems today seem to be throughout the paper rather than confined to one question. I don't think stuff should come up for the first time on a LC paper like freemartin condition. That's not really the way a course should develop.

But if everyone had problems the marking scheme will have to be adjusted to accommodate those problems, I don't think anyone should worry just yet.
    In fairness, the experminets, soil question, genetics minus martin tingy and a few other questions were lovely. It was just small questions here and there that they seemed to pick out of a quiz book or something that were difficult:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    For the abbatoir one, would "it ensures less waste when the killing occurs...." count? Pure gues but I read someone that when you die everything in your colon is released :) and for hanging up the carcass-tenderises the meat

Yes it probably would, but my point is the course is about agriculture not about butchering practices. Students practical experiences centred around farms not abbatoirs.

How would you feel if the next question was about the merits of loin chops v. shoulder chops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kellyr

Isn't a raddling harness that yoke with dye which they put on a ram so that he marks each ewe as he ... eh ... "marks" her?

that would be correct!

• Advertisement

ooh then I would've gotten it right :D oh and i think the word you're looking for is "serves" :)

Advertisement