Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Liberties,who to vote for?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Is there any party in the country who supports full same sex-marriage? and other related issues such as the right to change Birth Certificates for Transsexuals? Rights for same sex couples to adopt? Secularisation of Education? Is there any truly socialy liberal party in Ireland? . If not could there be an opening to reflect a new Ireland?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Freiheit wrote: »
    Is there any party in the country who supports full same sex-marriage? and other related issues such as the right to change Birth Certificates for Transsexuals? Rights for same sex couples to adopt? Secularisation of Education? Is there any truly socialy liberal party in Ireland? . If not could there be an opening to reflect a new Ireland?.

A marriage is a religious issue. I think most parties are moving (or I'd like them to move) towards the full separation of church and state. The most the state can do is recognise civil unions without bias based on sexual orientation.

A birth cert states the biological sex of a person at birth, based on (I'd assume) more than a cursory glance to see if theres a willy or no willy, so how can this be changed??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The Green Party supports a wide definition of the family and has a pretty strong emphasis on secularisation in general.

Labour would be another party with a strong secular element to its ethos.

PDs would have been very secular, no?

I'm not sure starting up a new party would be such a good idea, basically because its incredible difficult and expensive. You're probably better off getting involved with an existing party that you feel you can have some influence or make a difference with. Well, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Ireland is one of just two European Countries, the other being Albania, that doesn't allow people who have had gender reassignment to change their Birth Certificates to reflect their identities. See the Lydia Foy case for more. Our government is shamefuly appealing an E.U. ruling ordering them to permit such.

Any openings for an Irish Liberal Democrats?

Ireland is one of just two European Countries, the other being Albania, that doesn't allow people who have had gender reassignment to change their Birth Certificates to reflect their identities. See the Lydia Foy case for more. Our government is shamefuly appealing an E.U. ruling ordering them to permit such.

'Gender' reassignment. This doesnt change biological sex at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I'm pretty sure Labour, Sinn Féin and the Greens (before they got into government...) tick all those boxes, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes - Labour supports all of the above

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Makes a change to arrive with good news.....As of today
    The Government has dropped its challenge to a High Court declaration that Irish law on transgender rights is in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights.
    The Government must now introduce legislation recognising the new gender of transgender persons and allowing them to obtain new birth certificates or it will face condemnation from the European Court of Human Rights.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0621/foyl.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Nodin wrote: »

it makes no difference to me, if a person wants to be a man woman or dog but i can't see the logic in having the "birth" cert changed?? you were born either a man or woman, that cant be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

aDeener wrote: »
    it makes no difference to me, if a person wants to be a man woman or dog but i can't see the logic in having the "birth" cert changed?? you were born either a man or woman, that cant be changed

It then means the person can apply for a passport in their preferred gender, or they can get married (In church presumably) if they want to rather than have a civil partnership. I presume it would also help with things like adoption as well.

It basically corrects what the person sees as a genetic mistake.

It then means the person can apply for a passport in their preferred gender, or they can get married (In church presumably) if they want to rather than have a civil partnership. I presume it would also help with things like adoption as well.

It basically corrects what the person sees as a genetic mistake.

A genetic mistake it may be, but the sex on your birth cert is a statement of fact. If you want to change your gender from a male at birth to a female on a passport or other official documents just introduce a 'change of gender form' similar I suppose to a 'change of address' form. I could move to England and live in London for years eventually marrying and getting a British passport. That doesnt change the fact that I was born in Ireland.
    And if the information is sensitive, perhaps lose the requirements of providing such information for jobs, marriage, adoption etc.

As for helping with marriage and/or adoption I think its better to fight for no discrimination rather than doctor your birth cert. Why should it be harder to adopt for a transgendered individual who is in a loving and caring relationship than it is for any other person?

• Advertisement

aDeener wrote: »

well male or female. I certainly wasnt born a man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sounds like you are describing the Labour party. Labour also has an entire party section dedicated to LGBT rights. Labour has a good record with LGBT rights the last time in government seeing as a Labour minister for equality and law reform decriminalised homosexuality.

Nodin wrote: »

The Government must now introduce legislation recognising the new gender of transgender persons

Is it the case that people are arguing that they were misregistered at birth and want 'transgender' on their birth cert? I dont have an issue with someone who has a case that they are an androgyne

• Registered Users Posts: 81,976 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well I can actually understand that. You were born a man for example, even if you think you're a woman trapped in a man's body. But still a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Just because every other European Country bar Albania doctors birth certificates isn't a reason for us to do so. As others have said here a birth certificate is a statement of fact at the time of the birth. It should never be changed,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

well male or female. I certainly wasnt born a man

If you have meat and two veg, then yes you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Take marriage away from the State.

The way forward, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

A marriage is a religious issue.

Only for some people. For most of my friends getting married, religion has no relevance whatsoever. The idea of marriage being a religious union is not as ubiquitous as it used to be in Ireland.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Just because every other European Country bar Albania doctors birth certificates isn't a reason for us to do so. As others have said here a birth certificate is a statement of fact at the time of the birth. It should never be changed,

Unless the 'fact' was wrong, but the fact is based on physical traits even though people may have psychological traits or even alter their physical bodies through surgery or hormone therapy. Birth certs should catalogue the biological sex of a baby (regardless of psychological gender experienced during/after maturation

eightyfish wrote: »
    Only for some people. For most of my friends getting married, religion has no relevance whatsoever. The idea of marriage being a religious union is not as ubiquitous as it used to be in Ireland.

This is only because marriage is recognised and special in the eyes of the State. You get benefits from a marriage, that wouldnt be available if you are simply committed and cohabitting. The benefits should be reserved for civil partnerships and marriage can simply be a religious blessing (like its supposed to be). Also people like chucrhes as a venue.

Amhran Nua actually have the right idea on this
    Civil marriage should be the only marriage recognised by the state, religious ceremonies are just that - a ritual blessing undertaken by people of that faith. Every wedding in the state is registered with the civil authorities.

We had for a very long time the ridiculous situation where the Catholic church could perform a wedding, that was recognised by the civil power, but only the church could annul the marriage.
    That meant that an exta territorial authority could perform a new marriage, which was - under the law of the land - bigamous.

AN believe the state should have nothing to do with the practice of religion, no one church should be given special treatment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes - Labour supports all of the above

Back on topic, having trouble finding Labours party manifesto, anyone have a link?

Back on topic, having trouble finding Labours party manifesto, anyone have a link?

Try http://www.labour.ie/party/ or http://www.labour.ie/policy/listing.html

Unless the 'fact' was wrong,
    The fact was not wrong at the time of the birth.
    But the fact is based on physical traits even though people may have psychological traits or even alter their physical bodies through surgery or hormone therapy.
    I looked up the definition of Male as a noun and the first definition I found was this:
    a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
    Notice the definition of a male is a person bearing an X and Y chromosome and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles. Meaning that these attributes are not necessary to be classified as a male. Thus any baby that carries an X and Y chromosome pair at the time of their birth is a male. That is a fact and any attempt to doctor this would only be conveniently changing the truth.
    Birth certs should catalogue the biological sex of a baby (regardless of psychological gender experienced during/after maturation
    No they shouldn't. Why would they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I have read these but used there not be a clear and concise outline of the party's aims in slightly more detail than the former?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sad to see some of the bigotry in this thread, but we're finally seeing a much needed basic human right for transgender people in Ireland, and this is just wonderful news!
    Thus any baby that carries an X and Y chromosome pair at the time of their birth is a male. That is a fact and any attempt to doctor this would only be conveniently changing the truth.

That's just not true though, there are plenty of babies that carry XY chromosomes at birth but are documented as female.

Links234 wrote: »
    That's just not true though, there are plenty of babies that carry XY chromosomes at birth but are documented as female.
    Such as?

I also looked up Bigot:
    a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
    Please show me where I have been such. I don't take such accusations lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 81,976 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Such as?

I also looked up Bigot:

Please show me where I have been such. I don't take such accusations lightly.
    I've re-read the entire thread under the emphasis of Bigotry and found not one example, either.

I don't think anybody is being intolerant here (:confused:) just stating that trying to alter your birth certificate to say you were born a woman etc. after a gender change is dishonest.

The fact was not wrong at the time of the birth.

Notice the definition of a male is a person bearing an X and Y chromosome and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles. Meaning that these attributes are not necessary to be classified as a male. Thus any baby that carries an X and Y chromosome pair at the time of their birth is a male. That is a fact and any attempt to doctor this would only be conveniently changing the truth.

No they shouldn't. Why would they do that?

I'm agreeing with you on this. The fact can be wrong when someone with an XY pairing is classed as female (and vice versa)- in the case of misregistration I think birth certs should be ammended. Why do you think birth certs should not catalogue biological sex regardless of a later emergence of a psychological identity?

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    These people have testes and an XY chromosome pair. So according to the dictionary they are defined as male.

Advertisement