Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidest Things/Assumptions You've Ever Heard About Gaming

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about a few of the stupid things I've heard people say about gaming over the years so I thought you guys would share a few of your stories!

A few years ago in school, I was out in the yard with a few of the lads and the inevitable discussion of Xbox 360 vs. PS3 came up. Now I had always argued in favour of the Xbox 360 but I'll readily admit that both systems have their merits. Cue one eejit stepping in saying "Ah now Twilightning, what's the point in playing any video games if they're not in HD?" Other arguments he put forward in favour of the PS3 were those videos of Chad Warden that became infamous across the internet, since he is one of the world's master trolls. He thought he was being serious in the video and started calling Halo 'Gaylo' thinking he was hilarious. DERP.

Couple of other pearls of wisdom I heard from another guy I know recently were "Microsoft have won E3 2010. You're a ****ing retard if you think otherwise" before Nintendo or Sony even took the stage. When a discussion on PC games was brought up with him, I got "Nobody cares about PC games, there are barely any. All the PC have is Valve and they're ****." HURRRRF.

I wish I was being trolled hard but sadly I wasn't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In all honesty, you should've just said "Yeah well my Da still has an Amiga and says you're all fags" then walked away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The stupidest thing I hear about Gaming is that it's Anti-Social.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Anything that peter molyneux says usually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The obvious one that comes to mind is that people think once you've reached a certain age you're "too old" for gaming or that gaming makes you immature or childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

that there was cake

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Gaylo is the correct term to use.

'winning' E3 has always been lol through the years. people dont seem to understand either the concept of winning or of business when they say this and should probably be slapped and should stop playing Gaylo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Gaylo............He he!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some people insist on saying that PC gaming is dead or dying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kiith wrote: »
    Some people insist on saying that PC gaming is dead or dying :rolleyes:

Well aside from a thriving indie scene, it kind of is dying a slow death imo...

That games are just for guys is the one that really grates with me... Then again the industry isn't exactly helping that by aiming a lot of their releases at teenage boys

• Advertisement

whos the wally in that video? and more importantly, why do people give a fu*k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Jazzy wrote: »
    whos the wally in that video? and more importantly, why do people give a fu*k?

Some randomer called Chad Warden who sprang up on the internet a few years ago. He wasn't being serious in the video at all but he made thousands of people across the world rage with that video and a few others because most people took it literally. Master troll.

i turned it off after 5 seconds as he was obviously what would have been called a 'special' in Blade Runner. people should really not pay attention to this sort of thing. rise above it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Most stupid assumption? Either that gaming is anti-social, or that the PC is dying. One of those. The PC is still thriving, after all, Steam is on the PC ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I hate the assumptions that people make about 18-rated games like Grand Theft Auto and how it's ''Corrupting young minds''.

It's the parents fault they let their little ones play games like that in the first place. It's 18's for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

A violent game is okay for kids to play but any sex and parents are up in arms. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I hate the assumptions that people make about 18-rated games like Grand Theft Auto and how it's ''Corrupting young minds''.

It's the parents fault they let their little ones play games like that in the first place. It's 18's for a reason.

Beat me to it! Lol

Indeed, the thinking in society that Rockstar are at fault for 15 year old kids around the world nicking cars and crashing them into innocent pedestrians.
    I think Rockstar are innocent, because, at the end of the day, GTA and the likes are rated 18's, which is adult entertainment!;)

On another note, I used to be a pro-PC gamer when younger, and all the lads in my class used to give me stick because I didn't have a console, saying PC was crap. I thought it was quite good! Age Of Empires, Rise Of Nations, Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I can't believe I forgot this one, considering it's definitely my top pet peeve. Score one for my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

HAHAHA...

It may be the parents fault, but don't be so naive to think that material for people over 18 is ok for a 12 year old. It's not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Peter Molyneaux saying he invented dogs:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"Nobody cares about PC games, there are barely any. All the PC have is Valve and they're ****." HURRRRF.

You should have slapped him across the head for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

robby^5 wrote: »
    The obvious one that comes to mind is that people think once you've reached a certain age you're "too old" for gaming or that gaming makes you immature or childish.

This, most definitely.
    It also ties in with the parents letting the kids play 18 rated games because, sure it's only a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

"anyone over 20 who still plays with games is a gimp looser"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

People who think, because they are good at FPS ....would be well suited in an army or War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

SeantheMan wrote: »
    People who think, because they are good at FPS ....would be well suited in an army or War.

yeah, there is no respawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But you run faster with a knife!

Personal pet peeve: my dad only played a few games in the 80s.
    He watches as I play fighters, adventure games, RPGs, racers, everything. He KNOWS what these games look & sound like.
    And yet this is his only coment on them: "it's all just PEW PEW PEW".
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

"All games make you violent!", Yeah, like Peggle is going to make me bloodthirsty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The one that really gets on my nerves is that the Wii doesn't have any good games other than one or two. Couldn't be further from the truth, it's got a load of amazing games on it they just aren' call of duty.

Another one is that good looking games have to look realistic. I'd take Okami over any modern shooter anyday in looks. Same with people dismissing gorgeous 2D art. Just because it's 2D doesn't automatically make it a bad looking game, I'd take the graphics of last years Muramasa and a Boy and his Blob over Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2. Also games with 'cute' graphics aren't worth playing. Ok if you want to think like that then you've only yourself to blame for missing out on Mario Galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

the stupidest assumption i've heard about gaming is that girls can't play games!! now im not saying that I'm by any means a "gamer-girl", but when you live with 2 fellas, you might as well give it a shot! I'm a dab hand at expert guitar hero, and surprise surprise im not too bad a COD online either!

Obvious exceptions to the above would be the hardcore "gamer girls"...I don't know why, but they just do my nut in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

"All games make you violent!", Yeah, like Peggle is going to make me bloodthirsty.

It's occasionally made me throw rocks at redheads

Advertisement