Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I think I tried that, it had Tetris built in when I did.

It also appears to support gdb too. Dunno if that'd be a lot of effort to set up.
    Also lol that everything except Visual Studio seems to rely entirely on *nix programs ported to Windows.

Damn *nix programs creeping onto Windows. What was so bad about one piece of software from one vendor controlling the entire software development community anyway? *nix programs went and ruined all the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

This lifehacker article seems pretty good for noob-coders. Might give it a proper lash when I stop being lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

phlegms wrote: »
    This lifehacker article seems pretty good for noob-coders. Might give it a proper lash when I stop being lazy!

Just scrolled through that, he mentions Python and that he learned through the book "Dive into Python".
    That book is aimed at people who can already program in some other language so may not be best to learn from noob point of view (you probably could do so, never thought about it much)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Right, I'm a bit late to the party here, and I'm not entirely sure what's been said already, but I shall offer my advice regardless.

If you're really interested in learning a programming language, I would not recommend Python as a first language. It's easy enough to pick up, but that goes against when considered as your first language. Whatever you learn first will become your native language in a way. Think of it like how when you start learning foreign spoken languages. You'll always think of what you want to say in English and then translate it in your head before saying it. It's not quite as permanent with programming, but any habits you pick up from your first programming language will stick with you.

With that in mind, I'd like to say that Python is syntactically different to most other common languages. Essentially, the basics of how you write code don't change much from language to language, but in Python it's quite a different style. If you learn Python, it'll be difficult enough to pick up a new language. Starting with C or Java will put you on a better footing for furthering your programming skills, in my opinion. So many languages follow the basic style of C: C++, Java, PHP and Javascript to name a few.

C is a pretty old language, but is still very widespread. It's really more suited to low-level programming, like controlling hardware directly. Newer languages like Java are geared more towards creating the kinds of applications I expect you guys want to make.

Learning a programming language takes time. Any of those books that tell you you can learn in 21 days are no good. I tried several times when I was younger to learn a programming language, but always gave up because I never had a particular goal. Then I started designing websites and began using open-source applications coded in PHP. When these went awry, I had to investigate by examining the code. Throwing myself in the deep end, trying to figure out what was happening, really worked. When I came to college, I was taught C and Java. To be quite honest, learning in an environment like that is the best way. A few hours a week going at a very slow pace is better than overloading yourself with the equivalent of a year's college work in a matter of days.

I'm pretty adept at programming now, and learning a new programming language is very easy. I started placement just over 2 months ago, and I've learnt Python, C# and SQL since then (though SQL is entirely different, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it!).

I'll leave you with a pro tip, learnt from years of programming. It's not about the programming language, it's about the logic. A programming language is a means to an end - an application. If you can't think logically or find it difficult to consider the steps to the solution of a problem, that will be the hardest part of learning how to program.

tl;dr Know why you want to program. Have a goal, a program you want in the end. Don't start with Python, go for Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Okay, I want to learn how to code, I'll be doing it in my Masters and I want to program computer games as a career so coding will be very useful I'd say. Which language would be the best to learn for computer games. I have a basic knowledge of C++ as we did some last year and a bit this year but it was more geared towards working things out mathematically and making a code for it, like gaussian elimination and stuff like that. So while I've used it, the focus was really on the maths side. I'll have to do Java for my masters but I've been told by a few people not to start with that (including people here). So what's the best language to learn if you are going to go into the games industry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

C++ is the game industry's standard last I heard*. I remember the original reason I wanted to learn it was to make games, taking a step up from Game Maker. I wasn't good at it right away so I pretty much gave up.

*You probably knew that and maybe I'm not contributing at all.

Anyhow gonna learn me some Python for Project Euler. Then back to C++, just 'cause it's C++. Yeah!

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I'll have to do Java for my masters but I've been told by a few people not to start with that (including people here). So what's the best language to learn if you are going to go into the games industry?

To be fair I just said that because I don't really like Java. :P

But yeah I'd recommend C++, like 99% of major games are written in C or C++ (Ok that's a guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was even higher tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You could try messing about with Valve's Source Engine to build games for the sake of learning. I have absolutely no idea how far into the 'deep-end' that would be but last I heard there's a good bit of C++ involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Okay, now I just need to find a good online course for c++. I need something to give me little projects to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

syncosised wrote: »
    Right, I'm a bit late to the party here, and I'm not entirely sure what's been said already, but I shall offer my advice regardless.

If you're really interested in learning a programming language, I would not recommend Python as a first language. It's easy enough to pick up, but that goes against when considered as your first language. Whatever you learn first will become your native language in a way. Think of it like how when you start learning foreign spoken languages. You'll always think of what you want to say in English and then translate it in your head before saying it. It's not quite as permanent with programming, but any habits you pick up from your first programming language will stick with you.

With that in mind, I'd like to say that Python is syntactically different to most other common languages. Essentially, the basics of how you write code don't change much from language to language, but in Python it's quite a different style. If you learn Python, it'll be difficult enough to pick up a new language. Starting with C or Java will put you on a better footing for furthering your programming skills, in my opinion. So many languages follow the basic style of C: C++, Java, PHP and Javascript to name a few.

C is a pretty old language, but is still very widespread. It's really more suited to low-level programming, like controlling hardware directly. Newer languages like Java are geared more towards creating the kinds of applications I expect you guys want to make.

Learning a programming language takes time. Any of those books that tell you you can learn in 21 days are no good. I tried several times when I was younger to learn a programming language, but always gave up because I never had a particular goal. Then I started designing websites and began using open-source applications coded in PHP. When these went awry, I had to investigate by examining the code. Throwing myself in the deep end, trying to figure out what was happening, really worked. When I came to college, I was taught C and Java. To be quite honest, learning in an environment like that is the best way. A few hours a week going at a very slow pace is better than overloading yourself with the equivalent of a year's college work in a matter of days.

I'm pretty adept at programming now, and learning a new programming language is very easy. I started placement just over 2 months ago, and I've learnt Python, C# and SQL since then (though SQL is entirely different, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it!).

I'll leave you with a pro tip, learnt from years of programming. It's not about the programming language, it's about the logic. A programming language is a means to an end - an application. If you can't think logically or find it difficult to consider the steps to the solution of a problem, that will be the hardest part of learning how to program.

tl;dr Know why you want to program. Have a goal, a program you want in the end. Don't start with Python, go for Java.

I have no idea what I want to program... I just want to program. :o

• Advertisement

Jay P wrote: »

Learn C++, you can make anything in it.

And synco, stop suggesting Java.

I'm not the biggest fan of Java either, but it's the best language to learn the most common styles and the idea of object oriented programming. Plus, like it or not, it's only becoming more common and is the easiest way to program for mobile devices.
    Jay P wrote: »
    Try to think of something you'd like to achieve with it though. Even like just making a basic text editor or something.

I'm not the biggest fan of Java either, but it's the best language to learn the most common styles and the idea of object oriented programming. Plus, like it or not, it's only becoming more common and is the easiest way to program for mobile devices.

Also the best way to completely miss out on pointers (and have to know obscure methods to do something as simple as get a copy of an object), be forced to throw try-catch blocks everywhere and use the worst implementation of classes ever (Being forced to encapsulate everything in a class is pretty annoying, the lack of multiple inheritance is pretty gay).
    Also an implementation of templates that doesn't let you use them on Base Data types, gg Java.

Also AFAIK apps for Apple devices are done in Objective-C, Android apps and apps for Nokia phones are done in C++. If you want to reach 90+% of smartphone or tablet users then Java is not the easiest way to go.

I don't know why I'm arguing for Java, I don't really like it! It's pretty universal on mobile devices though and that is handy. I've developed mobile Java applications and it's nice to have it work on a bunch of devices without having to make any changes.

Also, any language that doesn't make me use pointers is a language I like. I want to be abstracted from the hardware. If I want to control the hardware, I'll break out the Assembly! :D

Anyway, this arguing doesn't really help the guys who want to learn to program. I'll stick with Java because I think it's more appropriate for what newcomers want. :)

Also, any language that doesn't make me use pointers is a language I like.

The problem with that though, is that pointers are ALWAYS there, Java may try to hide them but it doesn't make them go away.
    Trying to do something like make a copy of an object requires some obscure function call.

My phone has a python runtime. Move over Java!

For me, the advantage of a dynamic language is that you can do things more abstractly, in a way more conductive to thinking about the problem, and Python is great for this.
    Java is like the hassle of C without the power.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pokemonthreadless2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

pokemonthreadless2.gif

That made my day.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well that was entirely ridiculous :P

• Advertisement

I laughed so much, even if it was Java. Ewww.

Since this has become the nerdy jokes thread...
    Reading a bunch of programmer jokes now.
    A woman asks her husband, a programmer, to go shopping:
    Dear, please, go to the nearby grocery store to buy a loaf of bread. Also, if they have eggs, buy 6.
    Twenty minutes later the husband comes back bringing 7 loaves of bread.
    His wife is flabbergasted:
    Dear, why on earth did you buy 7 loaves of bread?
    They had eggs.
    Why did the programmer die in the shower?
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    An int, a char and a string walk into a bar and order some drinks. A short while later, the int and char start hitting on the waitress who gets very uncomfortable and walks away. The string walks up to the waitress and says "You'll have to forgive them, they're primitive types."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I got one of these about two weeks ago.

arduino_mega_iso2_800.jpg

Have been playing around with it replicating the Kitt LED effect and the like. Earlier I found two old radio control cars at home, I now have four motora and four gearboxes as well as two chassis' and some wheels, its time to start building my robot.

I got an Arduino Deumilanove (smaller than the Mega) about two weeks ago as well. It's pretty well supported library-wise, I've already had good fun with it!

It was only 8 euro more to get the Mega over the Duemilanove from the crowd I bought from. Not bad for four times the amount of pins and four times the flash memory. I definitely underestimated how much it would cost to buy parts to make even a simple robot, hence why my little brother is now two radio contraol cars the poorer. Where did you buy yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Has anybody mentioned that it's genii? :P

Has anybody mentioned that it's genii? :P

I advise you take that up with the Oxford English Dictionary, which lists "Geniuses" as the plural when talking about a person.

Since the OED online seems to be down at the moment (and seems to be some BS about having to pay for it in future) I'll just link you to this dictionary instead, if you have an Oxford English lying around you can verify that it's the same there.

Thanks for playing :pac:

pljudge321 wrote: »
    It was only 8 euro more to get the Mega over the Duemilanove from the crowd I bought from. Not bad for four times the amount of pins and four times the flash memory. I definitely underestimated how much it would cost to buy parts to make even a simple robot, hence why my little brother is now two radio contraol cars the poorer. Where did you buy yours?
    The Mega was double the price where I got it. I got a starter kit from Oomlout. They were pretty helpful, I'd recommend them if you need any other Arduino stuff. The starter kit had lots of cool stuff to use for basic examples like motors, servos, LEDs, buttons, a breadboard and so on!

The Mega was double the price where I got it. I got a starter kit from Oomlout. They were pretty helpful, I'd recommend them if you need any other Arduino stuff. The starter kit had lots of cool stuff to use for basic examples like motors, servos, LEDs, buttons, a breadboard and so on!

I was considering buying a kit from oomlout till I found this kit.
    Its a clone board but that makes no makes no real difference. I'd recommend the free e-book from earthshine, both our kits are pretty similar so you'd have most of the stuff needed to do the projects. You can get it here. Any big plans for a project?

• Advertisement

Cool, I must take a look at that. No big plans at the moment, but I'm thinking of an alarm clock slash clap-on clap-off light using LEDs. Simple. :)

Advertisement