Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran's foreign minister is to visit Ireland.

Options
  • 08-06-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki is scheduled to leave Tehran later this week for official trips to Ireland and Uzbekistan. "The Foreign Minister will hold meetings will his Irish counterpart and other officials to discuss ways to increase bilateral relations," the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday. It added that the talks would also focus on regional issues.

The Dublin-based Institute of International and European Affairs (IIEA) has also invited Mottaki to deliver a speech on Iran's foreign policy, Mehr News Agency reported".

Dose America and Israel know about this. :eek:

Jokes aside, any potential trade for this country is a good thing at the moment.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=129618&sectionid=351020101

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A slightly longer opening view than a googly-eyed "Dose America and Israel know about this" would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not sure what it has to do with Israel and the US to be honest seems a bit strange to mention them but as you do tend to bring them into every thread (even ones about cctv in England) its to be expected.

Its a good thing to build relations with any country as we know talking is the only way to sort things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Ireland is a rogue state :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

should we be protesting? they execute the opposition and ignore democratic elections, so by rights we should, but as they are facing invasion by the US, they are probably our pet underdog at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

He is more than Welcome, Its great to see Ireland on the international stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

should we be protesting? they execute the opposition and ignore democratic elections, so by rights we should, but as they are facing invasion by the US, they are probably our pet underdog at the moment.
    They also owe royalties to CIE for winning their last election. :D

image001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Yes, people should protest the Iranian government during the visit and encourage everyone to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kindly don't show him your passport facilities, m'kay?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Sorry but I'd rather continue my protests against the terrorist state of Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Saint wrote: »
    Yes, people should protest the Iranian government during the visit and encourage everyone to do so.

Most of those that would protest about his visit would be those that are on the dole. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

barrackali wrote: »
    Sorry but I'd rather continue my protests against the terrorist state of Israel.
    Is it not possible to do both or is one issue all you have time and energy for?
    Most of those that would protest about his visit would be those that are on the dole. :p
    There should be plenty of people to protest so. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Considering the treatment of there opposition in Iran, I think at the very least our Government should raise that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Winty wrote: »
    He is more than Welcome

He is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Well considering that they murder the opposition, execute homosexuals and continually aggrevate the rest of the world then I'm surprised people here are so lax about a visit by their foreign minister! You could argue that their laws on sexuality are cultural and none of our business and that it's hypocritical to criticise their nuclear program when the US etc. have one but at the very least their human rights record and abuse of democracy should be cause for concern. I'm all for dialogue and building relations but not at the expense of overlooking such major cracks in the Iranian system.

And no I'm not on the Dole :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭northwest100

piby wrote:
    their human rights record and abuse of democracy should be cause for concern. I'm all for dialogue and building relations but not at the expense of overlooking such major cracks in the Iranian system.

i'm all for human rights and democracy too but I don't think the US are in any position to lecture Iran or any other nation for that matter on these issues.

It's actually laughable to hear americans lecturing other countries about democracy when they don't have it themselves, the US system is an oligarchy at best.

if you actually bothered to read up about US foreign policy and their history, you'd know they've invaded more countries than any other nation in the world.

There's no other country on the planet who have caused more problems and suffering to people than the US.

Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo bay, indescriminate bombing and killing of civilians in foreign countries for the pursuit of wealth and power.

Is the history of the US foreign policy an excercise in promoting democracy and human rights? :D

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He is?

OK I will take the bait, Why would he not be?

piby wrote: »
    at the very least their human rights record and abuse of democracy should be cause for concern.

Iran is no better or worse that the USA
    Since June 2001, more than 334 individuals in the United States have died after being struck by police Tasers.
    Thousands of New Orleans residents are still displaced over two years after the human rights disaster of Hurricane Katrina. Due to a dearth in affordable housing stock, and with the majority of public housing still shuttered and facing demolition, long-term healthy alternatives remain elusive for those who wish to return.

Just 2 examples from Amnesty International

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

wes wrote: »
    Considering the treatment of there opposition in Iran, I think at the very least our Government should raise that issue.

Speaking of which .....................
    A shocking and disturbing report was released yesterday on the leader of the opposition Mir-Hossein Mousavi.
    He is accused (by one of Britain's leading human rights lawyers) of being involved in the massacre of more than 10,000 political prisoners in 1988.

Thousands of New Orleans residents are still displaced over two years after the human rights disaster of Hurricane Katrina. Due to a dearth in affordable housing stock, and with the majority of public housing still shuttered and facing demolition, long-term healthy alternatives remain elusive for those who wish to return.

It is 'sad' if this is the best that you can came up with in your comparison of Iran to the US. Using a Natural Catastrophe is probably not your best example. Being familiar with the region, I can assure you that the vast majority of the displaced residents were well looked after in the relocation, and there are logistical reasons for the 'dearth in affordable housing stock' at the moment.

But I'm sure that Google will provide a list of other comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Human rights now includes controlling the weather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I heard a bit from David Norris on a radio show a while back about the treatment of homosexuals in Iran that makes your comment look completely and utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

fontanalis wrote: »
    I heard a bit from David Norris on a radio show a while back about the treatment of homosexuals in Iran that makes your comment look completely and utterly ridiculous.

Well Norris is wrong! There are no gays in Iran. On a more serious note, I wonder will women and gay rights groups be out protesting against this visit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3RUwAJ_MI

As you did not add a link I will have to take your word that I am utterley rediculous

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Human rights now includes controlling the weather?

What did the USA do after the weather struck?

Kivaro wrote: »
    It is 'sad' if this is the best that you can came up with in your comparison of Iran to the US.

Not me my good man, the first 2 examples on the Amnesty International website.

Sorry are Amnesty International not a fair source for information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Overheal wrote: »
    Kindly don't show him your passport facilities, m'kay?
    That's OK - no danger of that, they're in Tel Aviv, ATM.

Let me be clear Iran are not perfect, but its better to have them around the table talking. I think its good to have Minister Mottaki visit Ireland.

Sinn Fein Could Help!

I am not a friend of Sinn Fein but they have a lot to offer countries in the skills they have learned with diplomacy over the last 20 years so lets open up the doors of peace and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

As you did not add a link I will have to take your word that I am utterley rediculous

Can't find the case Norris was referring to but here's a couple. Like you said the same as the US.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/now-iranian-lesbian-who-fled-to-britain-faces-deportation-792819.html

http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/iran-death-stoning-grotesque-and-unacceptable-penalty-20080115

Not me my good man, the first 2 examples on the Amnesty International website.

Sorry are Amnesty International not a fair source for information?

You quoted them!

And when you are saying "The USA". Does that mean the whole country or just the U.S. government?

And while the government's response at the time was woeful immediately after the 'weather' (Hurricane) struck, the amount of resources that poured into the area shortly after that event was staggering.
    It is interesting to note that under a new and completely different administration (at the other end of the political spectrum), similar criticism is leveled at the current government due to their response to the Gulf Oil Crisis.

• Advertisement

Are we on the same team. Sorry :confused:

No country anywhere has the right to harm or hinder LGBT members of society. So Mousavi in Ireland is good, we may be able to teach him a bit about Human Rights

Advertisement