Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Opening Hours

Options
  • 26-05-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Why are the general banks opening hours so rediculous?!?

And their customers seem to put up with it....

I mean come on, how many shops for example would only open from say 10 am to 4pm... with an hour closed for lunch.. and expect to be in business for long??

Also, the other morning I went to my branch @ 10AM to be confronted with a hand written sign on the door saying "Closed until 10:30 to facilitate training".

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

boboirl wrote: »
    Why are the general banks opening hours so rediculous?!?

And their customers seem to put up with it....

I mean come on, how many shops for example would only open from say 10 am to 4pm... with an hour closed for lunch.. and expect to be in business for long??

Also, the other morning I went to my branch @ 10AM to be confronted with a hand written sign on the door saying "Closed until 10:30 to facilitate training".

:mad:

Sure we'll let you decide when they should open and close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boboirl

Sure we'll let you decide when they should open and close

OK... 9 - 6 Monday to Friday with no closing for lunch :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Halifax open on Saturdays!

Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

They run the country, why should they do anything other than suck your blood out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Very annoying. In fairness the staff are there at 9 or earlier and after 4pm but it takes times to get things up and running each day. The banks could well afford to pay them to come in earlier though and finish later in a staggered fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

banks close at lunch? When did that start again?

If the OP wants to see bank opening hours taking the p**s, try use a post office or bank in Spain after 2pm. Open earlier than here, closed a lot earlier than here.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think certain smaller branches still close for lunch, not sure which ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Im sure its a security measure, when would be the best time to rob a bank, nine o clock in the morning would be perfect, not much traffic, easy eh 'parking', etc.
    There are so few reason why anyone needs to personally attend a bank any more, do you not use online banking? Anything else can be done by post/phone.
    Also you'll find its only small country branches that close at lunch, its not being brought back, its alway been that way, if there was enough custom for them to remain open, they would be open, also because of a small staff number, its not secure to stagger luch breaks.
    Also regarding the 10.30 training, its only half an hour later than usual opening hours, banking, especially in this climate is constantly updating procedures, mainly by the orders of the financial regulator, so training has to be done, bank staff work normal hours 9 to 5 (give or take) as it is, so why should they change the whole system, ie come in earlier, because you can't wait a measly half an hour?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I was shocked when I moved to Ireland. The banking situation is worse than the Baltics or the UK.
    If you are working, you can't get to a bank except at lunch time when it is full.
    I've been using online banking since it started but it doesn't let you change money, open a new account, sign HP forms for motors etc etc.
    Elsewhere you have banks open at 8 am til 6 and open on saturdays.
    Don't they need our business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

drakshug wrote: »
    I've been using online banking since it started but it doesn't let you change money, open a new account, sign HP forms for motors etc etc.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "change money"?
    I can open new accounts via 24-hour banking.
    Never had to hire a tractor, so can't comment on that one!

Banks are open business hours, because businesses are pretty much the only customers who "need" to go to a branch regularly.

I "bank" everyday, yet have only ever needed to go to a branch once in god-knows-how-long (at least 6-7 years), and that was to apply for a mortgage.

You have to remember that, compared to most other businesses, banking has great "opening hours". You can carry out 99.9% of your dealings 24-7 without ever having to go out of your way (ie you can do them from home, work, street, inside shops etc). It's only for the complex transactions that you actually need to go to a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Complex transactions like signing your car loan in front of a bank employee, exchanging that pesky foreign currency and actually getting an account due to the money laundering rules.
    Judging by the queues at lunchtime I can't be the only person trying to get to a bank during my lunch break. Saturday opening would be a boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Talk to any Halifax worker. Saturdays are not a busy as you guys would think.

This topic was just cover last week or so. There are plenty of reasons why banks open when then do. But times are changing. UB Georgre Quay opens from early in the morning and stays open till late at night 5 days a week. But demend in that area calls for it.

Not all branches would be worth opening for longer and on saturdays. I do not agree with this 30 min training done by some banks.

boboirl wrote: »
    OK... 9 - 6 Monday to Friday with no closing for lunch :cool:

IMHO banks would work much better if they closed for lunch. At least all the staff could take lunch at the same time. Only problem is that there might be a q before closing so staff would not get the full hour.

So they open for lunch, which then means staggered lunch breaks and this in turns cause delays and q's to build because staff numbers on the counter is reduced.

Also, if you go to the bank at lunch be prepared for big q's.

Complex transactions like signing your car loan in front of a bank employee
    Not sure about this, I've never had to sign anything in front of anyone when it came to loans, not even my mortgage!
    exchanging that pesky foreign currency
    How often do you have foreign currency you want to get rid of? I would generally spend the little foreign cash I had before returning to the Eurozone. Even if you do have foreign cash, why not hold onto it until the next time you travel there?
    actually getting an account due to the money laundering rules.
    Maybe, but how often do you open accounts? Once you have one account open with a bank, you don't need to be present to open subsequent accounts.
    Judging by the queues at lunchtime I can't be the only person trying to get to a bank during my lunch break. Saturday opening would be a boon.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the people queueing at lunch time don't actually need to be there. It's usually just down to laziness, lack of planning, ignorance, or a refusal to live in the modern age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 muggins2003

it's nuts - same with the post office - that's why the queues are always mental. it's hard to believe that they shut an hour each day for lunch as well when the majority of people need to use them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Here's a mental idea, just throwing it out there.

If the lunch time is busy, why let the staff go on lunch at 1? Why not manage to have them either go earlier, and be back for 1, or go later, after the rush is over.

Then again, I rarely have to go into the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Here's a mental idea, just throwing it out there.

If the lunch time is busy, why let the staff go on lunch at 1? Why not manage to have them either go earlier, and be back for 1, or go later, after the rush is over.

Then again, I rarely have to go into the bank.

Well I presume it would be to modern and radical, in the end all those ladies have to chat with each other during lunch time and this is way more important than doing any business...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most, if not all branches, will stagger staff lunches.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Most, if not all branches, will stagger staff lunches.

Yes, but they still let them go at peak period times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aoraki

A lot of people seem to think that bank staff swan in the doors at 9.45ish each morning and are in the car home by 4.15 in the afternoon.

When i worked in a financial institution many moons ago the working hours were from 9am to 5.30. If you got out by 6PM you'd be doing very well. On thursday when the branch closed at 5 you'd be doing well to be out by 6.30pm. Most mornings we were in before 9.

As regards lunch, we used to stagger the taking of lunch breaks, but we also brought in a couple of lunch time staff that would only work from 11 til 2 to cover the lunch time period.

Admittedly this was over 10 years ago, but I imagine not a lot has changed.

But I agree that 10 to 4 is not ideal for customers, especially when they are closed for weekends.

aoraki wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think that bank staff swan in the doors at 9.45ish each morning and are in the car home by 4.15 in the afternoon.

When i worked in a financial institution many moons ago the working hours were from 9am to 5.30. If you got out by 6PM you'd be doing very well. On thursday when the branch closed at 5 you'd be doing well to be out by 6.30pm. Most mornings we were in before 9.

As regards lunch, we used to stagger the taking of lunch breaks, but we also brought in a couple of lunch time staff that would only work from 11 til 2 to cover the lunch time period.

Admittedly this was over 10 years ago, but I imagine not a lot has changed.

But I agree that 10 to 4 is not ideal for customers, especially when they are closed for weekends.

Nope, pretty much the same as now.

Its not fair to expect staff to come in at 9 and go on lunch at 12 or 3 o'clock.
    Like I said, opening for lunch is the problem. Staff are entitled to a lunch thats given at a fair time.

Nope, pretty much the same as now.

Its not fair to expect staff to come in at 9 and go on lunch at 12 or 3 o'clock.
    Like I said, opening for lunch is the problem. Staff are entitled to a lunch thats given at a fair time.

And why is 12 not a fair time? Or 2?

Because you only started at nine? Even so, you still don't solve the issue. Staggered lunches cause the problem. 5 staff on counter, 2 have to at least go on lunch that over lap each other. Staff normally have to balance before lunch so it starts to cause delays and has a knock on effect.

As mentioned, if you using the bank at its peak period expect to have to q. Same with any business you use. Go into a bank at 11am on a tuesday and its not going to be as busy as lunch time or on a friday afternoon.

Even changing opening hours will not fix the issue. Going from a 4pm close to a 5pm or beyond close will still mean the same people will delay the time they go and your back to the same problem. Thats hardly the banks fault.

People are iggnorant to this issue. Banks will have to change the opening hours. It will happen, but these issues will always remain.

Best way to discribe it is like "Last orders" in a pub. You've been sitting there for maybe an hour or so before it happens. You still make a bee line for the bar and then stand there like a tool with everyone else thats rushing in, where maybe if you thought...ah last orders are coming i'll go a few mins earlier and get sorted. This carry on happens at a 12.30am to even when its a late bar.

Because you only started at nine? Even so, you still don't solve the issue. Staggered lunches cause the problem. 5 staff on counter, 2 have to at least go on lunch that over lap each other. Staff normally have to balance before lunch so it starts to cause delays and has a knock on effect.

As mentioned, if you using the bank at its peak period expect to have to q. Same with any business you use. Go into a bank at 11am on a tuesday and its not going to be as busy as lunch time or on a friday afternoon.

Even changing opening hours will not fix the issue. Going from a 4pm close to a 5pm or beyond close will still mean the same people will delay the time they go and your back to the same problem. Thats hardly the banks fault.

People are iggnorant to this issue. Banks will have to change the opening hours. It will happen, but these issues will always remain.

Best way to discribe it is like "Last orders" in a pub. You've been sitting there for maybe an hour or so before it happens. You still make a bee line for the bar and then stand there like a tool with everyone else thats rushing in, where maybe if you thought...ah last orders are coming i'll go a few mins earlier and get sorted. This carry on happens at a 12.30am to even when its a late bar.

My point of view is following, bank is a business, I am a customer bringing money, I don't really care how it's all setup, I want a good service at reasonable hours (including lunch) and that's it!
    You can note that in other countries it is somehow possible to sort this out.

jaceq wrote: »
    My point of view is following, bank is a business, I am a customer bringing money, I don't really care how it's all setup, I want a good service at reasonable hours (including lunch) and that's it!

Your right. The customer will get the opening hours, just don't expect the q's to go away cause the branch opens longer.

Your right. The customer will get the opening hours, just don't expect the q's to go away cause the branch opens longer.

Again, long queues = poor service, and as I said I expect a good service.
    That's why I was with halifax, this was ONLY bank in Ireland in different league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spirit of time

In England it states on notes the value of it's currency....

For example £20,£10 and so on....

Has anybody actually asked the question 20 pounds of what???

Like is it gold?!?...I think not!...Not silver....

Can anybody enlighten me?

Again, long queues = poor service, and as I said I expect a good service.
    That's why I was with halifax, this was ONLY bank in Ireland in different league.

The problem there was that Halifax had no queues because Halifax had no customers. Hence Halifax is now gone for this very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

But yet complain when you have to pay for it :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that "other" countries charge significantly more in fees. Ask anyone in the UK what happens if they use an unauthorised overdraft.....

Advertisement