Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paid apps for android

Options
  • 20-02-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭

It's about time Google opened the apps market for Ireland...

There must be enough android phones in the country to warrant it.

At least its not like the iphone/iPad where you pay a premium but most of the good features are disabled.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Volker

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It's about time Google opened the apps market for Ireland...

Totally agree.

Though in the meantime you can either use a foreign SIM card or root+Marketenabler. Works like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

A root whaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slim410

like root the phone and get market enabler....

link to download the APK for market enabler--->http://s.2030.tk/marketenable
    and emm just search how to root android in google :)

that way u can download all paid apps...as if ur a t0mobile US user :)
    shmad isnt it :D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Volker wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Though in the meantime you can either use a foreign SIM card or root+Marketenabler. Works like a charm.

Yep, just chucked in a UK sim card and downloaded some apps over wifi (including the UK amazon mp3 store app which looks pretty awesome), works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

oh wow, that would be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Interesting, I must start some personal Android projects and get some Market experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

long_b wrote: »

Yeah,it's becoming a pain that we've no access to the paid app market yet. I think i know every free app that's in the market at this stage!:P

I'll be in the states next week,thinking about getting a US sim card so i can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Did this announcement ever happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A resounding no it seems, my searching for any info on paid android apps for Ireland brought me to this thread lol!

Anyone have any idea of any intention to launch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have a UK SIM on its way in the post, seems to me to be the easiest method right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

JustinOval wrote: »
    I have a UK SIM on its way in the post, seems to me to be the easiest method right now.

How does that work exactly? My Bro lives in the UK, he could get me a PAYG SIM for next to nowt?

I guess I put the UK SIM in, shop for all my apps, put my Irish one back in and Bobs your uncle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Inquitus wrote: »
    How does that work exactly? My Bro lives in the UK, he could get me a PAYG SIM for next to nowt?

I guess I put the UK SIM in, shop for all my apps, put my Irish one back in and Bobs your uncle?

AFAIK once you pay for the apps they're linked to your Google account, just connect via Wifi and buy/pay for what you want, then swap SIMs.

...I think.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

I happen to have a spare UK Vodafone sim if anyone wants it......first to PM me can have it! I am in Mullingar, but can post......Was on the train back from Dublin today, and sitting next to me was a guy with a SE Experia X3, and he was trying to look as if he could care less, but was eyeing up my lovely Desire, I could see his eyes darting all over the place, and hahahaha I have it and he doesn't!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dragona wrote: »
    I happen to have a spare UK Vodafone sim if anyone wants it......first to PM me can have it! I am in Mullingar, but can post......Was on the train back from Dublin today, and sitting next to me was a guy with a SE Experia X3, and he was trying to look as if he could care less, but was eyeing up my lovely Desire, I could see his eyes darting all over the place, and hahahaha I have it and he doesn't!!!!!!! :D

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Sorry folks, it has been claimed!

Has anyone bought a uk sim card?who would you buy from and does anyone ship to ireland?How do i buy the paid apps?is from credit on the sim or can you set up an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

yabadabado wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a uk sim card?who would you buy from and does anyone ship to ireland?How do i buy the paid apps?is from credit on the sim or can you set up an account.

you need a Google Checkout account.
    Soon should be possible to use Paypal as well.
    In some countries it is already active that Operators detract the cost from your mobile bill, but I wouldn't expect this to happen here any time soon.

cheers.i have a google checkout account so i will probably buy one over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I've two spare 3uk pay as you go sims going a begging. Ordered from the 3uk website and were delivered in a few days. My nexus is rooted now and I use market enabler so I don't need the sims (3uk send 2 sims).
    There seems to be more free apps (and obviously paid) in the market when using enabler. For example Skyfire free is not in the normal market but it is there when I use market enabler.
    When ordering from 3uk, o2uk or vodafone uk they need a valid postcode. I stuck in BT11AA in Belfast with my normal Irish address including Ireland and was delivered no problems. Took maybe 4 days.
    PM me your address and I'll bang one in the post if anyone wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Loggie wrote: »
    I've two spare 3uk pay as you go sims going a begging. Ordered from the 3uk website and were delivered in a few days. My nexus is rooted now and I use market enabler so I don't need the sims (3uk send 2 sims).
    There seems to be more free apps (and obviously paid) in the market when using enabler. For example Skyfire free is not in the normal market but it is there when I use market enabler.
    When ordering from 3uk, o2uk or vodafone uk they need a valid postcode. I stuck in BT11AA in Belfast with my normal Irish address including Ireland and was delivered no problems. Took maybe 4 days.
    PM me your address and I'll bang one in the post if anyone wants one.

Thanks Loggie! I got the sim this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Quick question guys.
    Im getting my desire today, Just wondering regarding apps, on my iphone there was a game that my GF played, but im selling my iphone so she wont be able to play it anymore and i feel kinda shítty bout it. the game was "tap Store" Its like cafe world type thing, you run a shop, buying clothes and all that silly bollox.

So - Is there a game for the android that can substitute this type of game?
    Alleviate some of my guilt.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have a game called call girl, where basically you're a pimp, and you mind a bunch (I'm not sure what the collective noun is) of prostitutes around you're locality (linked to google maps). You have to keep them happy by buying them clothes, jewellry and stuff, and if you give them condoms they don't get sick!

I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but thought I'd let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Zagato wrote: »
    I have a game called call girl, where basically you're a pimp, and you mind a bunch (I'm not sure what the collective noun is) of prostitutes around you're locality (linked to google maps). You have to keep them happy by buying them clothes, jewellry and stuff, and if you give them condoms they don't get sick!

I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but thought I'd let you know :)

LOL, Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I thought I was doing something wrong given that there is a pathetic number of apps in the store.
    :(

That's pretty crap on google's part to not even bother opening it up to the irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

bad for developers - users not that bad.

are there many apps that people want but are not available as free?

It is just pure laziness and neglect by Google tho - it would do them good and cause little work to open it to anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Hoping they'll announce something on this at the conference this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

@Loggie you were lucky dude - it seems 3UK have locked down their address system

I tried what you did - used a Belfast post code when trying to order a UK sim but it wouldn't allow me check out - same with O2 (although I didn't try vodafone)

I don't suppose you still have one of those cards do you? I'd happily throw you a few quid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You guys aren't missing out on too much tbh. I'm pretty disappointed with the standard of the apps/games in general.

Advertisement