Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singing Priests.

Options
  • 21-05-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

What's your opinion?

How do you feel about singing priests? 15 votes

Music directly from heaven
    0% 0 votes
    God, please send a plague of ear plugs
    20% 3 votes
    They could be doing worse things...
    80% 12 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If anyone sounds genuinely good, whats the problem!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What do YOU think OP?
    Do you have anything to add? Or are you waiting for us to tell you what to think?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Bit cringy when it happens in random locations like a pub or a wedding dinner though!

What do YOU think OP?
    Do you have anything to add? Or are you waiting for us to tell you what to think?

Ear plugs all the way!

In fairness I have never met a priest who shared my taste in music so that would obviously have something to do with it!

• Advertisement

I would love to have been at that Metallica concert to see this guy in the crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I saw that on Nationwide (the singing priests) and immediately switched over to something else.
    I just can't watch any religious figures on tv, regardless of what they are doing.
    I literally have no respect for the church.

Are some willing to have a go at their singing or just because they are priests?
    One is justified if they are bad, the other is just discrimination because of what they believe in and thus joined.

If a bunch of men are good singers - so damn what - regardless of what cloth they are wearing!

OP, if they sound ok (and not just my taste alone but suit others instead), live and let live.
    Could be worse... Roll on Jedward LOL

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I saw that on Nationwide (the singing priests) and immediately switched over to something else.
    I just can't watch any religious figures on tv, regardless of what they are doing.
    I literally have no respect for the church.

That's where I seen it... one priest just started singing in a hospital, made my skin crawl! It would definitely not aid in my recover if I was ill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Don't mind them at all, it's the old-age groupies that are the menace

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Are some willing to have a go at their singing or just because they are priests?
    One is justified if they are bad, the other is just discrimination because of what they believe in and thus joined.

If a bunch of men are good singers - so damn what - regardless of what cloth they are wearing!

What if they were Nazi singers singing pro-Hitler songs?
    /God wins!

It's more about people singing in inappropriate situations and priests seem to be very talented in this respect!

/God wins!

I have the option to switch off/change channel/protest outside at their meetings/etc.

Singing is also a term of expression so if one wishes to see free speech to a great extent remain free, there are ways and means to allow it and voice opinion to what they express at the same time - peacefully. :)

/God wins!

Where would they be singing?

Lollymcd wrote: »
    It's more about people singing in inappropriate situations and priests seem to be very talented in this respect!
    I can't comment on that myself for I have never come across priests singing at an inappropriate moment.
    Thats a new one for me. Can you give any examples? Genuine question. :)

Where would they be singing?

I've got em booked in for a live webcast in AH in a few hours actually.

I can't comment on that myself for I have never come across priests singing at an inappropriate moment.
    Thats a new one for me. Can you give any examples? Genuine question. :)

Nationwide where doing a feature on THE Priests... one priest was visiting a hosptial and broke into song for staff or patients or something. I've noticed it happening at a few weddings and numerous times when I was younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Makes mass more entertaining. Especially when they're ****e.

I've got em booked in for a live webcast in AH in a few hours actually.

Well that would be an appropriate situation, so for me personally I can find nothing wrong... now if they were to start up in my local pub OR god forbid at my local soccer ground, I'd have to complain.

Nationwide where doing a feature on THE Priests... one priest was visiting a hosptial and broke into song for staff or patients or something. I've noticed it happening at a few weddings and numerous times when I was younger!

LOL probably had too much of the wine/gargle.
    I'd put that down to the man, not the cloth he wore LOL :pac:

...but I see your point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Who chose the music directly from heaven choice in the poll?

They must have clicked on the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I adore Gregorian Chant, but I can't stand that "Bind us together" stuff or most of the modern stuff that passes as church music these days. If monks could marry I'd probably have joined the mendicant Franciscans (historically the most Irish of the monastic orders) years ago just for the music (well, the solitude, books and historical tradition appeal to me also). Mad, but there you have it.

Sarah Brightman's Gregorian Chant version of Peter Gabriel's 'Don't Give Up' is refreshingly different, too.

Nóirín Ní Riain is fairly cool in my book with her medieval Irish songs, as is Montserrat Figueres who does pretty much the same for medieval Spanish church (and court) music.

To paraphrase the Wolfe Tones, 'Let the Priests sing!';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about dancing priests?

Dionysus wrote: »
    I adore Gregorian Chant, but I can't stand that "Bind us together" stuff or most of the modern stuff that passes as church music these days. If monks could marry I'd probably have joined the mendicant Franciscans (historically the most Irish of the monastic orders) years ago just for the music (well, the solitude, books and historical tradition appeal to me also). Mad, but there you have it.

Sarah Brightman's Gregorian Chant version of Peter Gabriel's 'Don't Give Up' is refreshingly different, too.

Nóirín Ní Riain is fairly cool in my book with her medieval Irish songs, as is Montserrat Figueres who does pretty much the same for medieval Spanish church (and court) music.

To paraphrase the Wolfe Tones, 'Let the Priests sing!';)

Ah now... you're making it all high brow!!!

Monserrat... is that the place near Barcelona? With young male singers? I think I was there!

I have a number of Gregorian Chant cd's and they sound stunning.
    I dare Westlife (or any boy band) to sound similar any day.

I have a number of Gregorian Chant cd's and they sound stunning.
    I dare Westlife (or any boy band) to sound similar any day.

Please don't... they may try and take you up on the challenge... :D

Please don't... they may try and take you up on the challenge... :D
    Yea, they will have to go back to Josh Groban (yet) again for a decent song first. :pac:
    (seeing as they keep doing covers of his (and others) originals)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I was young, I had a dream
    And though the dream was very small,
    It wouldn`t leave me....

phasers wrote: »
    When I was young, I had a dream
    And though the dream was very small,
    It wouldn`t leave me....

That's not the way the "chant" I know goes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's not the way the "chant" I know goes...
    "You're not singing. You're not singing. You're not singing any more. You're not sinnnngggginggg any more"

?

Advertisement