Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wineport

Options
  • 07-04-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭

I hear the chef from the Wineport, Fergal O'Donnell has moved to another venue or taken over a new place in Glasson? Anyone tried it? Another culinary delight for the midlands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I didn't know he had moved, Have been to the wineport lodge
    a few times and the food was always excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, was there recently, standards haven't dropped. I will keep you posted if I try the new place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

SMH...

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, was there recently, standards haven't dropped. I will keep you posted if I try the new place.
    Thank you, Has he opened his own restaurant in Glasson?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

He has taken over the running of Farrells pub/ The Village Inn across the road from Grogans. The food there was always good for me so cant wait to see if he can improve on it.

It will be strange not to see Joe and Kathleen behind the bar anymore.

I'm sure I'll be there shortly and will report back

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    SMH...

Was there are review in the Sydney Morning Herald?
    slowharry wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll be there shortly and will report back

Ah cheers, would love to know about it, Fergal is big in to his wild shot game, does some lovely stuff with it.

Was there are review in the Sydney Morning Herald?

Ah cheers, would love to know about it, Fergal is big in to his wild shot game, does some lovely stuff with it.

Shaking My Head.

If you thought that wineport has a high standard of food then I really don't know what to say.

They charge the same prices as michelin starred kitchens in Dublin, London and Milan and they are nowhere near the standard.

Fergal is an OK chef, nothing more, very unimaginative.

Wineport was lucky to have Shane and Linda (fergal's sous chefs) for as long as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Much prefer glasson village myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

cathal Moran is the head Chef now and is very talented. He was up for Chef of the year last year alongside Corrigan and Thornton so thats good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Was in Farrells at the weekend or 'the Fatted Calf' as it has been 'rebranded'. First night of the new menu about 7-8 options for starter and main with around 5 for desert. Must say i enjoyed what i got. Came in around 70e for two with 3 courses each and tea and coffee (no wine) and some beers for me :). Probably the best selection of beers in a pub around town now. Paulaner on tap, innis &Gunn , Bishops finger, Coopers and a few more in bottle. apparently a good selection of wine by the glass also.
    First impressions were good decent sized portions especially the mussels.

• Advertisement

Shaking My Head.

Ah, I didn't know what that meant. You are very clever!
    If you thought that wineport has a high standard of food then I really don't know what to say.

I did think that and still do, nothing much you can say!!
    They charge the same prices as michelin starred kitchens in Dublin, London and Milan

They don't, you got your facts wrong there I am afraid!
    Fergal is an OK chef, nothing more, very unimaginative.

Was it him that fired you?
    slowharry wrote: »
    Was in Farrells at the weekend or 'the Fatted Calf' as it has been 'rebranded'. First night of the new menu about 7-8 options for starter and main with around 5 for desert. Must say i enjoyed what i got. Came in around 70e for two with 3 courses each and tea and coffee (no wine) and some beers for me :). Probably the best selection of beers in a pub around town now. Paulaner on tap, innis &Gunn , Bishops finger, Coopers and a few more in bottle. apparently a good selection of wine by the glass also.
    First impressions were good decent sized portions especially the mussels.

Ah, great review slowharry, sounds good. Looking forward to checking it out.

mr_edge_to_you I am a big fan of Glasson Village restaurant too, very good place.

cathal Moran is the head Chef now and is very talented. He was up for Chef of the year last year alongside Corrigan and Thornton so thats good company.

Cathal is a very good chef.

the difference in standard between wineport and lisloughry when he was there was insane considering the same person (Fergal) set the menu and the prices were the same.

Cathal is a very good chef.

the difference in standard between wineport and lisloughry when he was there was insane considering the same person (Fergal) set the menu and the prices were the same.

Are you a disgruntled ex-employee?

Did you ever work in the Wineport?

While I agree with you about Cathal, I don't about Fergal, and you seem to be getting it wrong looking at the above reviews of Fergals new place. Now, while your at it, put your money where your mouth is and tell us what kitchen you run? It's not nice to anonymously slate your brethren behind your keyboard without stating your own position and who you are.

Are you a disgruntled ex-employee?

Did you ever work in the Wineport?

While I agree with you about Cathal, I don't about Fergal, and you seem to be getting it wrong looking at the above reviews of Fergals new place. Now, while your at it, put your money where your mouth is and tell us what kitchen you run? It's not nice to anonymously slate your brethren behind your keyboard without stating your own position and who you are.

I worked as holiday cover there for a month and chose not to go back.
    I have a lot of time for Ray and Jane. I have a lot of time for the staff, the restaurant managers and the front of house manager. I think Shane is a very able and talented sous chef, Linda was a damned good chef and Jenny and co are a great troop.

The menu was sub par for the price by any standards.
    When I was there they were charging 32.50 for a course that consisted of half a pre-cooked and frozen lobster which had the claws crasked, shredded and stuffed into the shell to fill the cavity which was created form removing the sack and intestine, this was them topped with garlic butter and grilled to re heat it.

32.50 for reheated processed food?

GET THE BOAT!

on the same menu the veg option was a roast vegetable and goats cheese pizza.

The roast veg came from another dish and was grand, the sauce was extremely basic, the cheese was actually quite nice in fairness but the base? The base was a frozen, pre-made, bought in doughy horrible bready lump of flavourlessness.

They charged the guts of €25 for that pizza, it cost about €0.50 per serving and required zero skill or effort.

Fillet beef (in fairness, the beef is quality, they get it from James Kilbride) was served with deep fried asparagus which was done in a packet mix of cheap tempura style gunk.

They used a LOT of pre-preped veg from "fresh and ready vegetables".

They did some good deserts though and their G&T and Green apple sorbets were pretty good too.

The menu now is a lot cheaper and their early bird menu at 22 a head (although only served for 45 minutes) is actually good value, they also do stay and dine deals starting about about 100pp/pn which are good value as the hotel facility is beautiful. But for a long time their pricing was insane and their menu extremely bland.

The only thing that WAS good value when I was there was the sunday lunch.

The kitchen ran perfectly 4 days a week with Shane and Linda in charge, the other 3 days people were walking on egg shells and a quiet, relaxed kitchen turned in to screams and verbal abuse of young watiresses... Guess who only worked 3 days a week in Athlone?

That happens when boss's arrive in work.

So overall your saying it's not that bad at all and fairly reasonably priced. Have you stopped shaking your head?

So, after slating a fellow chefs imagination and personality on a public forum, can you tell us what kitchen you run? I don't ever remember a 25 Euro Pizza. Last time I was there my main was 22Euro my starter was 12Eur, the wine was good, all four of us got a drink on the house and the Wineport covered our taxi back to Athlone town. That is nowhere near the prices michelin starred kitchens in Dublin, London and Milan charge.

It would take me a lot more than a month to find out the true dynamics of who is what and what goes on in a busy workplace.

That happens when boss's arrive in work.

So overall your saying it's not that bad at all and fairly reasonably priced. Have you stopped shaking your head?

So, after slating a fellow chefs imagination and personality on a public forum, can you tell us what kitchen you run? I don't ever remember a 25 Euro Pizza. Last time I was there my main was 22Euro my starter was 12Eur, the wine was good, all four of us got a drink on the house and the Wineport covered our taxi back to Athlone town. That is nowhere near the prices michelin starred kitchens in Dublin, London and Milan charge.

It would take me a lot more than a month to find out the true dynamics of who is what and what goes on in a busy workplace.

The pizza was there, trust me, I had to make the things.

Over all I said they have decent offers at certain times.
    I said that the early bird menu was good value, I said that Slunch was good value, I said their stay and dine were good value because of the fact that the hotel is superb. I said their beef was quality, but that has a lot more to do with where it came from than anything else, seeing as they don't marinate their meats (they might do now that Cathal is in chagre). I didn't say that the restaurant is good value, althought it is a lot chaper than it was, it's still over priced but getting better quality wise so maybe some day they will level off.

I have eaten in michelin starred restaurants and paid a LOT less than the last meal I had in winport. 45 Euro for a starter and a main?

You could get two much better courses in Bon Appetit or L'Ecrivain the same price (or less).

Pay an extra €2 and you get two courses in Chapter one.

In London you could eat in L'Atelier, Arbutus, Hibiscus, St John's, Rasoi and The Cinnamon Club to name just a few for the same price or less.

In Milan I have eaten in D'O for less.

So yes, you can eat in Michelin Starred restaurants in Dublin, London and Milan for less.

Oh,and by the way, it takes about 15 minutes "understand the true dynamics" of a kitchen.

I never claimed to be a world class chef or to run anywhere. I basically pointed out that somehwere was over priced and that the chef (ex chef now) was not a very good chef.

I said that the early bird menu was good value, I said that Slunch was good value, I said their stay and dine were good value because of the fact that the hotel is superb. I said their beef was quality, but that has a lot more to do with where it came from than anything else, seeing as they don't marinate their meats (they might do now that Cathal is in chagre).

Well, stop shaking your head then. Personally, I prefer premium cuts to be rare and not marinated, but, everyone's different with different tastes and preferences... ;) Things would be very boring otherwise.

Well, stop shaking your head then. Personally, I prefer premium cuts to be rare and not marinated, but, everyone's different with different tastes and preferences... ;) Things would be very boring otherwise.

I prefer premium cuts to be rare AND marinated...

Why would marinating meat mean you can't cook it rare? In fact, marinating is usually done to ensure that meat is even more tender when cooked rare...
    Every other restaurant I have worked in marinated their beef.

Usually in the following. Olive oil, garlic, bay, rosemary, thyme and pepper corns.

Well done. (not the meat though)

This thread is cooked. Anyone with any more reviews I would be happy to hear about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

• Advertisement

I think as posters we should be wary of giving restaurants bad publicity especially
    in this climate. By all means review the food and service honestly whether you like
    it or hated it.

miss5 wrote: »
    By all means review the food and service honestly whether you like it or hated it.

+1

Telling people to avoid a place because you didn't like working there is a bit nasty. Naming and slating someone in the same trade as yourself anonymously is nasty to, particularly if the guy has just set up shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jd1986

i think ur jus bitter sean coz u wernt good enuf to work there, u only dont like feargal coz u were **** and he gave out to u and was on ur back, n u cudnt take it so u left. u lasted two weeks, u wernt there for holiday cover. so could u please stop talkin about the chefs of wineport, especially ones u dont even know and puttin us down and tryin to put people off coming to stay at wineport. u know way too much about the offers, the prices, and things that go on in wineport for someone who hasnt been there in years, and the fact that u are on here bad mouthing us like 3 yrs after u "worked" there is quite sad. get over it.

Have been in both Wineport and Farrell's lately and would have to say I found
    both places excellent, The food was lovely and served promptly and the staff were
    so friendly, Have heard nothing but good reviews from relatives who dine there
    regularly. Highly recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Lads, ye are getting nasty there! Not in anyones interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its in my interest. I like it when pretentious chefs insult each other

It saves me the bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sea hens inn

As i have just joined boards for the first time, and typed in Wineport just to see what came up , i was astonished to read about the terrible things being said about the food!!
    I am i chef myself and have been in the business for the last 16 years ,i have worked in many high end kitchens in my time not to mention Wineport lodge, i cant beleive the the down right bad manner of this so called chef Sean!!:eek: ok if you dont like food , and if its not up your street, seal the deal on the first post for god sake and dont bore us all to death with what you think you know, I have had the pleasure with working with all the above chefs and still keep in touch with some, they have a good solid team and do a great job ! i have never even heard of you Sean ? i suppose for obvious reasons :rolleyes:you probably think you talk the talk , but can you in fact walk the walk...... i doubt it!!!I have heard Feargal ( correct spelling by the way) has moved on and goodluck to him,i plan to have my wedding reception there soon and cannot wait! my mouth is watering at the thoughts of it, so Sean get a grip and stick to what you DONT know...............

The pizza was there, trust me, I had to make the things.

I said that the early bird menu was good value, I said that Slunch was good value, I said their stay and dine were good value because of the fact that the hotel is superb. I said their beef was quality, but that has a lot more to do with where it came from than anything else, seeing as they don't marinate their meats (they might do now that Cathal is in chagre). I didn't say that the restaurant is good value, althought it is a lot chaper than it was, it's still over priced but getting better quality wise so maybe some day they will level off.

I have eaten in michelin starred restaurants and paid a LOT less than the last meal I had in winport. 45 Euro for a starter and a main?

You could get two much better courses in Bon Appetit or L'Ecrivain the same price (or less).

Pay an extra €2 and you get two courses in Chapter one.

In London you could eat in L'Atelier, Arbutus, Hibiscus, St John's, Rasoi and The Cinnamon Club to name just a few for the same price or less.

In Milan I have eaten in D'O for less.

So yes, you can eat in Michelin Starred restaurants in Dublin, London and Milan for less.

Oh,and by the way, it takes about 15 minutes "understand the true dynamics" of a kitchen.

I never claimed to be a world class chef or to run anywhere. I basically pointed out that somehwere was over priced and that the chef (ex chef now) was not a very good chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ljr

a lot of over-reaction on this thread. I too think the wineport is good but rather over priced. I found Seaneh's comments interesting and am in broad agreement. I have had excellent courses and pretty mediocre ones there and all at high prices. Seaneh says things have improved recently (price wise) so maybe I will go again. the undiluted praise of the other posters makes me more skeptical rather than less.

I don't see any reason to question seaneh's integrity from what he wrote. The man worked in their kitchen and clearly disliked certain aspects of the food but not all. I would be just as interested in hearing the views of a jobbing chef as those of a sous or exec chef, probably more so. the fact that he got dumped on so severely over relatively mild comments says more about the other posters on this thread.

ljr wrote: »
    the undiluted praise of the other posters makes me more skeptical rather than less.

If that's aimed at me, nothing to do with the place, I am just a printer from Dublin that appreciates good food. I have people in Athlone, so we go there when I visit. I like the lake, the food, the atmosphere and the value (lately).
    ljr wrote: »
    I don't see any reason to question seaneh's integrity from what he wrote.

Really? Cause it looks like Seaneh's been caught by fellow colleagues who have and do work in the Wineport after anonymously bitching about his ex boss! Seems me might be caught out on a few fibbs too. I'd say he's cursing you for resurrecting the thread.

Now, have you been to Farrell's? If so, what was it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ljr

not really aiming my remarks at john rambo or anyone in particular. I just thought ye were all being a bit hard on him and I thought I would defend him as nobody else was! he probably is cursing me.

havent been to farrells yet but plan to go in the next couple of weeks. I too live in dublin but have reasons to be in Athlone every six weeks or so. fatted calf menu looks great with lesser seen menu items like crubeens, rabbit and duck rillette. prices seem very fair - suckling pig confit for 22 euro, and other good things at very fair prices. a different roast every day, lots of mention of suppliers (e.g. McGeoghs black pudding). I was emailed the menu by a friend who is related to the chef. I will upload it here if people are interested (involves a bit of picture editing that I don't have time to do this morning).

Advertisement