Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Families

Options
  • 12-04-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭

I've a pretty large extended family and some members in it do not get along at all - to the point of not even talking. My mother doesn't talk to an aunt, is only cordial with another. Another aunt doesn't talk to her brother nor his wife who is also my aunt. Confused?:)

So i'm just wondering is it common for some families not to get along and what your own relationships with family members are like.... Any particular stories of falling outs etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you can choose your friends but not your family. happens everywhere, unless you're in the family in 7th heaven..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Nope, your lot are disfunctional.

Really , it all sounds about normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no such thing as a perfect family

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Very common to be honest. For a long time my grandmother wouldn't speak to her son because she didn't approve of who he married. They recently mended fences, but she still refuses to have anything to do with his wife.

Also (I'm not too familiar with this one) some members of my family have fallen out with some others because of a handball game :confused:

And since last year my mother has been on very shaky ground with her brothers and sisters for something I'd rather not discuss or be questioned on.

So yes, it's a sad fact of life, but not all family members get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've never met my Aunts and Uncles because my Mam doesn't get along with them. from the stories I've heard though they're all tossers so I don't want to meet them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Very common to be honest. For a long time my grandmother wouldn't speak to her son because she didn't approve of who he married. They recently mended fences, but she still refuses to have anything to do with his wife.

Also (I'm not too familiar with this one) some members of my family have fallen out with some others because of a handball game :confused:

And since last year my mother has been on very shaky ground with her brothers and sisters for something I'd rather not discuss or be questioned on.

So yes, it's a sad fact of life, but not all family members get along.

Cue the "Your family is ****ing nuts" jokes.

I know you don't like it so i thought i'd get it out of the way:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Degag wrote: »
    I've a pretty large extended family and some members in it do not get along at all - to the point of not even talking. My mother doesn't talk to an aunt, is only cordial with another. Another aunt doesn't talk to her brother nor his wife who is also my aunt. Confused?:)

So i'm just wondering is it common for some families not to get along and what your own relationships with family members are like.... Any particular stories of falling outs etc....

Yep! One side are constantly complaining about each other and the other side of my family just aren't really bothered with talking to each other, not fighting or anything my father is just lazy to visit.:o And I've suffered as a result:( I barely know my extended family!

I wonder does anyone have the opposite problem, that they're extended family never leaves them alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The way i look at it is that my family is a way for me to relate to people who If I werent related to I probably would never come into contact with, having anything in common with, or even want to talk to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes my step sister is always hitching behind my mums back it makes me very upset but I tell my mum I don't care if there is a row she is mean... sometimes and then one of my aunts is very jealous of me and my sister she gives me and my sister evil eyes and lowers our confidence lol she's very undescribeable... I actually wish my mum didn't move back in then we wouldn't have all this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My other half has a huge family (all grown up) and they are all fighting each other at any given time - very stressful - but to be honest their Mam and Dad sits back and lets them all act like children .
    My own Mam and Dad never lets us fight each other (six of us) and if they get wind of a grudge brewing, you're in for an ear wagging.
    I reckon myself it's down to the parents and how they teach their kids to interact with each other, if they let arguments escalate and continue for long periods of time when their kids are young, then forget about them being able to repair that when they're older. You have to learn how to get on with yr family, it doesn't just happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

owenc wrote: »
    Yes my step sister is always hitching behind my mums back it makes me very upset but I tell my mum I don't care if there is a row she is mean... sometimes and then one of my aunts is very jealous of me and my sister she gives me and my sister evil eyes and lowers our confidence lol she's very undescribeable... I actually wish my mum didn't move back in then we wouldn't have all this

Don't know why, but I just read that in a Vicky Pollard accent. Must be the 'evil eyes' part......YeahButNoButYeah!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

To elaborate on my own family, My grandmother is not too well at the moment and one of her daughters keeps telling he about all the grievances she is having with other members of the family. This above all else drives me insane as she shouldn't be worried about petty things like this. As someone said though, every family has their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Blood is thicker than water and families are the worst friends but the best allies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Blood is thicker than water and families are the worst friends but the best allies.

Brought to you by Joe's Big Book of Proverbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Confab wrote: »
    Brought to you by Joe's Big Book of Proverbs.

No.. its joeys... and its a very big book and getting longer.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

If you look up the definition of dysfunctional it will surely come up as my mothers family - they are unbelievable! Her sister (my aunt) died recently and my mother was getting ready to go to her funeral when she got a phone call from my aunt's daughter tellin her that she was not "welcome" at the funeral as my aunt had left these instructions before she died!! They had never had a great relationship but talk about taking bitterness to the grave with you!
    I could write a book about them all - in fact I may well do so at some stage. Maybe I'll wait until they are all dead though - for safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

no such thing as a perfect family

What about the Huxtables?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

....until you need a kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What about the Huxtables?

And The Walton's? They were perfect too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My family is pretty much the opposite. We're all rather close, a lot of my cousins feel more like siblings, I see them several times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got married twice. My brother attended neither. But I was his best man.

/shrugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I've met most of my dads side but haven't really seen any of them in years. I don't really like any of my ma's side because they're all ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

I can barely tolerate my immediate family.

Have as little to do with them as possible.

Haven't spoken to one brother in about 10 years and he even works in the building next to where I work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Uncle from my Dads side, we barely talk to him and are just about civil. A typical Irish family argument...land. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I get on okay with my immediate family. The usual ups and downs, though I haven't spoken to my father or stepmother since New Years, largely because they're just a couple of c'unts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My family hasn't had any falling outs to be honest... We don't really maintain much contact with one of my dad's brothers, cos he's a bit odd. But he still comes to weddings and so on.

I guess my family is boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ruu wrote: »
    Uncle from my Dads side, we barely talk to him and are just about civil. A typical Irish family argument...land. :/

A Brother we just put up with but barring that mine is ok.

Know a couple of families who have fallen out over land though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

I get along with most of my family except one batch. I was with my cousin's girlfriend at his 21st years ago and we haven't spoken since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    I get along with most of my family except one batch. I was with my cousin's girlfriend at his 21st years ago and we haven't spoken since.

Did you ride her hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i've a large family, 7 siblings, and nearly every one of us doesnt get on with another one in the family

having said that, there' sno major drrama or rudeness, if we meet at family occasions everyone is very civil and polite towards each other

Advertisement