Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Barrett Sportslighting McKenna Cup

At Ballybofey

Donegal 1-13 St. Mary's 0-5

Donegal - L McFadden; C McCarron, N McGee, P McDaid; C Byrne, K Lacey, E Waide; N Gallagher, E Kelly; F McNulty, C Gallagher, D Gallagher (0-4); D Walsh, C McFadden (0-7, 4f), R Wherity. Subs: G Concarr (0-1) for C Gallagher, J Keaney for McCarron, M Maguire for Byrne, A Hanlon (1-1) for Wherity, O Doherty for D Gallagher.

St Mary's - T Harney; M Slane, K O'Boyle, M Digney; C Campbell, B Canavan, B Og Maguire; J Kelly, M McKenna; O McIvor, K Mossey (0-1), M Began; P McAleer, K Niblock (0-2, 2f), D Carson (0-1). Subs: L McQuaid for McIvor, B Doyle (0-1) for Campbell, S O'Neill for Began, G Johnston for Carson, R Dolan for Digney.

Ref: S McNamee (Tyrone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

RMDrive wrote: »
    Seemed like Donegal only played in fits and starts - at least that's what I gathered from the couple of updates on Highland.

Down on Wed now. No harm to be having these games anyway - better than training.

Yeah indeed it's better than training some good hard games will do them no harm, the important thing is to get out of division 2 or if things go bad stay in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Carrickman wrote: »
    Yeah indeed it's better than training some good hard games will do them no harm, the important thing is to get out of division 2 or if things go bad stay in it!!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting back into Div1. There may even be advantages from a Donegal perspective to staying in Div 2. It's still a very competitive place to be with Kildare, Meath, Armagh etc and a lower profile build-up could suit us heading into Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

it will be tight for Donegal to get back to Div 1. Some very tight games for us in div 2.

Oh if any one is interested the Gaelic Life is running a NFL fantasy football competition, its just based on the Ulster players :-) Free to Enter and prizes to be won.

enter it here:
    http://www.gaeliclife.com/fantasy_championship_2010/index.html

McKenna Cup-Donegal stay on course

Sounds like if they kepy playing Down would have won!

We'll get another look at them in the league, and then again on May 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Yankeesfan

McKenna Cup Final is on in Enniskillen saturday night at 7.30pm. I think TG4 may be showing the game live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

The pairing have already met in the qualifying rounds in Ballybofey where both sides put on a fantastic display of football, with the sides drawing on the night, so it should be another classic! :)

I wish John Joe, his selectors and team the best of luck on Saturday.... Come on Donegal!!! :D

Yankeesfan wrote: »
    McKenna Cup Final is on in Enniskillen saturday night at 7.30pm. I think TG4 may be showing the game live.

Yeah they're showing it all right.

Aye, tis live on TG4. Not the same as being there, but I'll hopefully get a look at the likes of Ed Kelly, Adrian Hanlon, Daire Gallagher and Gareth Concarr. I'll be at nearly all the league games, which may tell us if we have learned anything from last year's All-Ireland Q/F.

We're McKenna Cup Champions, but it didn't do us much good last year!

Edit-well no Daire Gallagher I guess

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Dara-Gallagher-out-for-12.6019344.jp

Barrett Sportslighting Dr McKenna Cup semi-final
    At Enniskillen
    Donegal 1-13
    Down 1-12

Donegal - L McFadden; J Keaney, N McGee, P McDaid; E Waide, F McGlynn, K Cassidy (0-1); F McNulty, N Gallagher; E Kelly (1-0), D Walsh, L McLoone (0-1); A Hanlon (0-4), C McFadden (0-5, 3f), G Concarr (0-2, 2f). Subs: P Durcan for McFadden; C Dunne for N Gallagher; R Wherity for Concarr.

Down - B McVeigh; S Toner, C Garvey, M Cole; S Parr, B McArdle, K Duffin; P Fitzpatrick, C King; D Gordon (0-1), M Poland, R Murtagh (0-1); P McComiskey (1-4, 4f), J Clarke (0-4), R Sexton. Subs: A Rogers for Fitzpatrick; S Kearney for Toner; D Hughes for Parr; M Clarke (0-2, 1f) for Poland; B Coulter for Sexton.

Ref: P Hughes (Armagh).

Match report from Alan Foley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Aye, tis live on TG4. Not the same as being there, but I'll hopefully get a look at the likes of Ed Kelly, Adrian Hanlon, Daire Gallagher and Gareth Concarr. I'll be at nearly all the league games, which may tell us if we have learned anything from last year's All-Ireland Q/F.

We're McKenna Cup Champions, but it didn't do us much good last year!

Edit-well no Daire Gallagher I guess

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Dara-Gallagher-out-for-12.6019344.jp

Aye poor Dara, he was shaping up well to be in with a shout for a regular place

Looks like Darragh will be out for 12 weeks at least. Tough break for him. I thought he was excellent against St. Marys, though McFadden got man of the match.

http://www.hoganstand.com/donegal/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=123107

It'll be good for the lads to get the game against Tyrone tomorrow. Was going to go but hearing it's on TV has changed my plans. With every game an away game for me I have to be selective on which games I go to. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Woo hoo Donegal retain the mckenna cup!! Poor Stephen O'Neil had a horrible injury think he may have dislocated his elbow! yuck hope he gets better soon.

Glad to see David Walsh popping up with the winning goal-like him as a player and hope he is a 1st choice for this year.

Hard to know what to make of the game. There was some shocking wides (by both sides), but Donegal can't afford those sort of wides on a regular basis.

I thought Paddy McDaid had a decent game in the full back line. Adrian Hanlon showed well for the ball, but was guilty of some bad misses. Ditto for Leo McLoone, but I suppose I'd rather see Donegal lads shoot rather than faff around with the ball in the half forward line and end up turning it over.

Good work by McFadden for the goal, stayed in there and fought for the ball, which is good to see.

Of course a game wouldn't be complete without Durcan making an error-what a shocking kick out that was. M Boyle should be our first choice for the season once he is free to play.

Will be disappointing if we can't beat Westmeath next weekend-I am expecting 4/4 from the first 2 games-anything else and we could struggle to stay in Division 2!

Felt sorry for Stephen O'Neill-a really fine footballer who hasn't had the best of luck with injury-I hope he recovers in time for the Championship. I see on Hogan Stand that it is a dislocated elbow.

No team on any website for Sunday yet, but I believe Lacey for McNulty is the only change from the McKenna Cup Final, with Cassidy moving to midfield.

Looking forward to my first game of 2010!

A much improved 2nd half performance saw us come away from Mullingar with 2 points. For the first 25 minutes, Donegal were awful. The burst at the start of the 2nd half and a good goal from Kevin Cassidy finished off Westmeath (who weren't helped by the loss of Dennis Glennon with a shoulder injury in the 2nd half).

The backs upped their game in the 2nd half. Murphy and McFadden came into the game more and Hanlon kicked a nice score after a couple of bad wides.

Donegal gave away too many frees for hand pass fouls. And a few too many cheap frees close to goal.

Fergal McNulty looked lost out there-I guess he hasn't much inter-county experience. Leo McLoone kicked some bad wides and was subbed. Conall Dunne played well when he came on.

Hopefully this game will bring them on a bit and here's hoping for a better 70 minute performance against Laois next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Fergal McNulty looked lost out there-I guess he hasn't much inter-county experience. Leo McLoone kicked some bad wides and was subbed. Conall Dunne played well when he came on.
    to the defense of leo mc loone, he's bound to have been exhausted having played a full game on saturday plus 2 periods of extra time for naomh conaill against cloughaneely in the u21 championship.
    as did eoin wade

docmartin wrote: »
    to the defense of leo mc loone, he's bound to have been exhausted having played a full game on saturday plus 2 periods of extra time for naomh conaill against cloughaneely in the u21 championship.
    as did eoin wade

Seriously? WTF were they even playing for then-is this JJ showing the County Board some contempt for not further delaying the U-21 championship?

Wade didn't do much to further his case either tbh and was subbed too.

Thanks for posting-good to know.

Anyone on here at the game in Ballyshannon today?

Looks like we might avoid relegation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone on here at the game in Ballyshannon today?

Looks like we might avoid relegation!

Wasn't at it.

Laois sounded bad, but they have the Portlaoise lads and suspensions to come back.

The Kildare match is a big one. Win that and we really should get promoted but it's McGeeney!

Down at home after that. 2 points from those 2 games and it makes it an interesting run in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I see the Championship draws were postponed due to an objection lodged with the Ulster Council by MacCumhaills re. the Donegal County Board's decision that the Senior Championship be limited to 16 teams.

Killybegs don't want to play senior championship and mccools do. would have thought they could have just switched. looks like mccools may be going to the ulster council/dra. once again the county board have covered themselves in glory.

good luck to Naomh Conaill in the 2009 u-21 championship final on sunday.
    bidding for a historic 4th succesive title, I'll be there and cheering them on.

whats evryone else's view on a team trying to create this record? good or bad for donegal football?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It's a good thing. We need somebody to challenge St. Eunans at senior level as they are looking more and more dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

docmartin wrote: »
    good luck to Naomh Conaill in the 2009 u-21 championship final on sunday.
    bidding for a historic 4th succesive title, I'll be there and cheering them on.

whats evryone else's view on a team trying to create this record? good or bad for donegal football?

Its fantastic what Glenties are doing at underage level and other towns clubs must do more to achieve what they are doing and put in the effort at youth level that those guys do. St Eunans have dominated for a long time now but are out of their depth in Ulster which shows the standard of club football here at the moment. The back door system has destroyed club football and that reflects on the county team.

back door system is a failure imo.
    hasnt helped the so called weaker counties and as the above poster says has destroyed club football in donegal, as with the u21 championship 2008 final being played on new years eve and 2009 final scheduled 7 weeks into 2010.
    also the all ireland has lost its glamour since the 90's. who can forget the 45 martin mc hugh kicked in injury time against cavan,
    THERE WAS NO BACK DOOR THAT TIME

Yeah, I am starting to think like that as well. We've had some great games in the back door, but it also leads to situations like the Cork game last year. And, it does mess up club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ach I don't don't know, we regularly get to Q/F's now, whereas the way Tyrone and Armagh dominated, we'd have been gone long before that, barring lucky draws.

On balance, I think it is better, Fermanagh being the perfect example. It needs tweaking though, Connaught and Munster counties, get preferential treatment due to their championships being smaller.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Carrick VS play Holy Trinity of Cookstown this Thursday in Omagh (2pm AFAIK) in the under 16 Ulster Final, as you know the school won all three county titles which is a great achievement for a school with just over 200 students (half of them are girls) so the school is one hour away from Ulster glory!!

Advertisement