Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or is AH filling up with Children and thanks whores?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Asking if AH is filling up with children is like getting suprised at a Hospital that fills up with babies and Old People.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not being smart, but I genuinely think AH is the same as ever. Actually it was probably more idiotic in the early days.

pre 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I noticed this. I dont know whats worse. Looseing a debate to someone that knows what their talking about or having a debate with someone who is quote school text books and does not understand the meaning of whats being said.

Having said all that its really about direction. If your happy to feel that you need to argue with everyone then your on the wrong site. If your open minded to learning from every generation then your in the right place.

Most discussions are meaningless anyway. One of the longest threads I have seen to date is "So what did you do today" .... Yepp that is going to bring some interesting stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

sdonn wrote: »
    Honestly, I dunno. Just a subconcious noticing that threads are getting boringly repetitve and full of smartarse comments. Which is grand the odd time, but not in every thread.

Just wanna reiterate that overall AH is stil a great forum. Just i'm curious who feels the same way (although I should know at this stage getting a serious answer to a question is difficult!)

Spot on SDonn, place is overrun by a certain coterie of ,well, immatures, who run around the place in a pack posting inane comments and thankswhoring each other and using the forum like GMail chat with puerile flirting and half baked fappery.

Bebo surely would be more appropriate for them,as it's pure teenage rubbish.

These people ,it would appear cannot post anything of any interest themselves, yet are first in to attack anyone who tries to inject a bit of genuine levity .

Losing interest, I must say even thought the Mods ARE trying.

Maybe these people will cop on and this phase will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Abigayle wrote: »
    I remember when all this were just fields....

Ah, how I miss those halcyon days!

After Hours 1955

After Hours 2015?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ehhhh...nope. dont think so.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I use two discussion forum's regularly and have noticed over the years that they both go into the doldrums during the winter months but pick up again in spring & summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I understand some of what you're saying. There is a trend to get a smartarse comment of 'This thread is ****' amongst other annoying things.

A lot of people complained about 'yore ma' and the mods stamped that out. I think if enough people want it, the forum will change.

Tbh, anyone who complained about YORE MA was up their own arse. It's just one post in a whole thread, are you really such a joyless prat that one post in a thread annoys you that much?

It was our very own meme and just like different groups of friends have different injokes, YORE MA gave AH a real sense of community that has been lacking since it was banned.

For those who never got it, the joke was in the fact that it was used in every thread regardless of how well it worked.
    In short, AH got shit when YORE MA was banned :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Them feckers over in Teh Gentlemens Club forum stole our sensible threads and left only teh 'Yore Ma'ers, teh durty feckers! Pitchforks and torches now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone noticed this? Back in time AH was about 70% General Discussion, 20% A great laugh and 10% idiots. Now it seems theres too many pointless, meaningless, stupid threads, or polls that attempt to be funny but really just waste my time. It's becoming a chore to flick through AH and find threads worth reading where once I read them all, many in full.

In other words, the place has got more childish and less serious. While I'm all for a bit of craic theres no reason why every thread has to have a quota of humour that's out of place because its just stupid or slapstick and unnessecary. Contributions like that are just too common.

I'm not attributing this to moderation or specific moderators, but the tone of the contributions in general.

At the risk of being hung out to dry, I must ask - I want the original AH back. Who does too?

BTW - I'm posting this to make a point, not to whore a whole pile of meaningless thanks.
    We've tried before keeping a little bit more balanced to one of the sides, but its hard to keep everyone happy so it is a game of a little bit of everything.

AH can surprise me and have some great topics, not just light discussion, but in some in depth serious topics too.

It comes down to the contributers. If people push a thread one way or another, posters are sheep they will follow.

The thanks feature has dumbed down AH (was that possible) a little more. But it also serves the purpose of doubling up as an "I agree" or "LOL" or "+1" post. But it has led to some stupid sh!t too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The "original" posters are just getting older perhaps... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Spot on SDonn, place is overrun by a certain coterie of ,well, immatures, who run around the place in a pack posting inane comments and thankswhoring each other and using the forum like GMail chat with puerile flirting and half baked fappery.

Bebo surely would be more appropriate for them,as it's pure teenage rubbish.

These people ,it would appear cannot post anything of any interest themselves, yet are first in to attack anyone who tries to inject a bit of genuine levity .

Losing interest, I must say even thought the Mods ARE trying.

Wow, our resident coprophiliac thinks the place is too low brow.

A dark day for After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As a justice of the peace I find it's only through After Hours that I can joke about Mary Harney, Chuggers, immigrants and annoying kids playing music through their mobile telephone devices outside shops without fear of reprimand.

Let me have my fun. :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The misogyny and trolling used to be WAY worse, in my opinion.

Ah you've just got older and wiser and accepted your place/the truth/the fact that people say stuff they don't mean/the complex versatility of the slash character/not the guy from guns 'n' roses/the one that's also use for division/I'm pretty sure the percentage sign is just a modified/your wrists/I need a /

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think with the creation of Cool Vids and Ranting forums the pressure on AH has eased somewhat.

In my opinion the thanks button has changed things.
    Damn/Thank you thanks button, damn/thank you to HELL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe the collective fug of whinge-nostalgia currently besetting Boards is a demographic thing?

Perhaps a particular of posters have reached a similar age (or a certain length of time on boards) at the same time and that explains the near-torrent of discussion about the direction of this and that, and the temerity of "children"/non-gamers/people without shit facial hair posting about topics that were - If you don't mind- adequately covered in 2004.

If you feel there is a dearth of serious topics in AH: get posting some. Whinging for thanks ain't that far removed from the punning for thanks that you so abhor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think it's more the popular posters have high post counts than high post count = popular.
    This. The idea that people would look at the profile of someone they don't know, but see a high postcount/thanks-count so they'll e-snog them... seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You have to remember that new forums are being created all the time too so they might syphon off different types of posters.

For example the new Gentlemans Club will take their share of posters from here or posters that might have posted a thread here will go there instead, the same with other fora. It's like market fragmentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe the collective fug of whinge-nostalgia currently besetting Boards is a demographic thing?

Perhaps a particular of posters have reached a similar age (or a certain length of time on boards) at the same time and that explains the near-torrent of discussion about the direction of this and that, and the temerity of "children"/non-gamers/people without shit facial hair posting about topics that were - If you don't mind- adequately covered in 2004.
    Oh how I wish we could return to the days of sycophancy for Amp and all those other old guard "characters"...
    That's what it was like when I joined - I for one welcome the death of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This. The idea that people would look at the profile of someone they don't know, but see a high postcount/thanks-count so they'll e-snog them... seriously?
    Oh how I wish we could return to the days of sycophancy for Amp and all those other old guard "characters"...
    That's what it was like when I joined - I for one welcome the death of it.

Do you not think that if amp were here people would be thanking his posts just because he's amp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Bonito wrote: »
    I have noticed more pointless threads and grouchy n00bs TBH. Other than that the craic is still here when you're in the right company :D

i am shocked bonito, internet etiquette gone out the window, you're posting for the last three months, i'm not even posting for a year and i wouldn't dare suggest that i knew "how it was back in the day" :eek:
    Yep, especially in the last couple of weeks there's been a lot of newbies not fully understanding what we got going on here :cool:

wtf? YOU ARE A NEWBIE!!!!!

/rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i am shocked bonito, internet etiquette gone out the window, you're posting for the last three months, i'm not even posting for a year and i wouldn't dare suggest that i knew "how it was back in the day" :eek:

/rant

gonna have to + you just for the sig. i dunno if thats new school or old school or mid life crisis school though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Same thing could be said of the site as a whole, damn ireland offline wanting everyone
    to have broadband, there was a time most people found boards via college or working in some sorta IT related job but these says anyone who can use google will find this place.

you may have hit the nail on the head with this one. nowdays, when someone can access the interweb through their phone, it amounts to opening the floodgates! and we all know that the idiots outnumber us intelligent folk! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I never said anything about "back in the day" :rolleyes:

I have said that from within the time frame of me being here within the last couple of weeks there has been a sharp escalation in fresh users. In saying that, from when I first joined, the people who have the craic are still here you just have to find them.

/rant

And your point is? I have just as much of an opinion on AH as it is today as yourself or anyone else here does.

Jazzy wrote: »
    gonna have to + you just for the sig. i dunno if thats new school or old school or mid life crisis school though :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716814&highlight=madman%3F%3F%3F%3F

learn yourself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The misogyny and trolling used to be WAY worse, in my opinion.

I miss the misogyny. Don't I?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I miss the misogyny. Don't I?
    And the misandry :D

I have noticed more pointless threads and grouchy n00bs TBH. Other than that the craic is still here when you're in the right company :D

in two or three months?? the op is knockin around for donkey years, i believe he is referring to a time long before either of us were here.
    Yep, especially in the last couple of weeks there's been a lot of newbies not fully understanding what we got going on here :cool:

as i said before, you are a newbie, this sounds condescending to other new users.
    I never said anything about "back in the day" :rolleyes:

I have said that from within the time frame of me being here within the last couple of weeks there has been a sharp escalation in fresh users. In saying that, from when I first joined, the people who have the craic are still here you just have to find them.

And your point is? I have just as much of an opinion on AH as it is today as yourself or anyone else here does.

i don't see that in your previous post.

please don;t take this as a personal attack, i'm just pointing out that you are very new still and that the op "appears" to be talking about a long while ago.

your points are valid of course, just not in this thread, i think. but this is obviously just my opinion.

in two or three months?? the op is knockin around for donkey years, i believe he is referring to a time long before either of us were here.

I agree but there's nothing stopping us picking on newer newbies :D

please don;t take this as a personal attack, i'm just pointing out that you are very new still and that the op "appears" to be talking about a long while ago.

Of course I'm not taking it as a personal attack :) Your posts (mostly) always give me a jolly or two :D
    your points are valid of course, just not in this thread, i think. but this is obviously just my opinion.

In this particular thread, if it is ment form back say 3 years or so then I'd agree I wouldn't have a clue about what it was like but, we can all see AH changing at present to when we 1st joined. Maybe it's an annual occurrence but I can't say 'til this time next year, then I can say wait a minute didn't we have this problem last year and it dwindled away by itself?

Oh and it's pistols at dawn for me and you missy :cool: Bring your jacket, it's gonna be cold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh, I've been here nearly 10 years. Can't say AH has changed that much at all.

Advertisement