Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think diet coke should have a warning on the pack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

def wrote: »
    yea but i think the warnings are on smokes to inform not so much discourage,
    if you want to smoke its your choice , but if you called a brand of smokes health sticks and had a load of healthy cool people smoking them on an ad.....

I disagree. There's no health benefits from smoking and so it's a habit which the media try to discourage by putting big government warnings on the box and showing very graphic ads of various people's organs which are damaged due to smoking. It's a scare tactic.

If you called a brand of cigarettes "health sticks" and they were advertised then that'd be ok because you can't advertise cigarettes in papers or on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

WindSock wrote: »
    I think Diet Coke should be banned aspartame thinks that it is unhealthy and misleading. And the ads suck.

Bum-tish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Diet Coke?

Pepsi Max and Jolt cola are where it's at tbh. Besides, life has a 100% certainty of death so does it really matter if you die
    10 years younger than you should? I will keep eating red meat as long as I can. "Twice a child, once a Man" - Some Rabbi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That_Guy wrote: »
    There are warnings though. Well they're on the ground and they say "look left" or AND:eek: "look right".

There's no need to thank me for fixing your post and saving your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

then why did you click on here...?

To complain about it.... obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Coming off Aspartame is harder than coming off Heroin. Fact.*

* Not really. But it does create withdrawal symptoms in regular users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Caution: contents cold (or room temperature)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    It's a disgusting product and was passed for FDA approval, without proper testing, at the behest of Donald Rumsfeld who represented Splenda. (the second time he was involved in poisoning people after providing Saddam with chemicals)
    White sugar isn't that far behind it, tbh.

what i find hilarious is that there are "diet" protein products on the market that are full of it and it's coompletely counter productive, it lessens the ability of muscles to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Diet coke sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

ContyHooks wrote: »
    It's not the aspartame causing the problem, it's what it's broken down into (formaldehyde, phenalynine, aspartate, dkp, etc) in your body where the controversy over health issues arises.

There is a warning about the phenylalalanine, just at the bottom of the ingredients

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I wonder does my Rohypnol have a warning on it.... Be right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

rubensni wrote: »
    There is a warning about the phenylalalanine, just at the bottom of the ingredients

It turns you lala, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    It turns you lala, apparently.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

It doesnt matter. People will still drink it. Its like cigarettes. There is loads of warnings on them of various degree's. In some countries they put pictures of f**ked up lungs on them and people still smoke.

So nah it doesnt matter. I like diet coke. Especially when its freezing and Im hungover. Its a little can of fizzy goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

the most recent medical review on the subject concluded that "the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.

Just drink normal coke then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

sorrywhat wrote: »

So nah it doesnt matter. I like diet coke. Especially when its freezing and Im hungover. Its a little can of fizzy goodness.

Oh ya i'm dehydrated so i'll drink a diuretic... smart!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Oh ya i'm dehydrated so i'll drink a diuretic... smart!! ;)

I didnt say I was dehydrated, I said I was hungover.

And yea yea I know you're dehydrated when your hungover but it makes me feel better!

The 8 pints the night before didnt do me any good either ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭def

sorrywhat wrote: »
    It doesnt matter. People will still drink it. Its like cigarettes. There is loads of warnings on them of various degree's. In some countries they put pictures of f**ked up lungs on them and people still smoke.

yes but people are stupid and people who work in marketing images are way to good at it ,,causing fat people and women to think "hey if i drink this it will make me skinny"

if you sell something that can cause you a horrible death through over use you should at least be forced to let people know it can cause your brain to ye know bruise and splitt and bleed causing a horrible death ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

aspartame sounds like nasty stuff... also hyperactivity can be bad...

but is this worth a warning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_coke#Debate_over_health_issues
    Aspartame is in nearly every diet drink these days, it is one of the most popular sugar substituitions. There is debate over it's effect on health, however there's nothing ever concrete about the long-term effects of aspartame, therefore it's not banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there should be a warning on the packaging telling consumers that it tastes crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jumpguy wrote: »
    There is debate over it's effect on health, however there's nothing ever concrete about the long-term effects of aspartame, therefore it's not banned.

Interesting to compare the policy regarding this with the policy regarding other substances all the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hey, Aspartame's nowhere near as dangerous as Dihydrogen Monoxide. Ban it first! Get the priorities right!
    Dihydrogen monoxide:
    • killed more than 4,000 people in the USA in 1997.
    • is also called "hydroxyl acid", and is the major component of acid rain.
    • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    • may cause severe burns.
    • is fatal if inhaled.
    • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    • in nuclear power plants.
    • in the production of Styrofoam.
    • as a fire retardant.
    • in many forms of cruel animal research.
    • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
    For more info, look at:

http://www.dhmo.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

My dad drinks like 2 litres of this shít a day :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭def

Hey, Aspartame's nowhere near as dangerous as Dihydrogen Monoxide. Ban it first! Get the priorities right!
    Dihydrogen monoxide:
    • killed more than 4,000 people in the USA in 1997.
    • is also called "hydroxyl acid", and is the major component of acid rain.
    • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    • may cause severe burns.
    • is fatal if inhaled.
    • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    • in nuclear power plants.
    • in the production of Styrofoam.
    • as a fire retardant.
    • in many forms of cruel animal research.
    • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
    For more info, look at:

http://www.dhmo.org/

jesus christ, flouride in the drinking water but we all use tooth paste kinda stuff ,,,should tooth paste and drinking tap water have warnings ? "may cause bone cancer"

i wonder where the guys that "proved" tabacco was safe work now?they pulled that one off for quite a few years... they prove cannabis is dangerous for the same people...stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I ended up in hospital over aspartame, it effects my balance, my vision, and I get the shakes. Stuff is lethal. Check out Sweet Deception on mercola.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Even if they put a warning on the bottle, id say most diet coke drinkers wouldnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

It has put holes in the brains of lab rats....Type "Asapatame ho" into google and it will finish it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Rycn wrote: »
    Even if they put a warning on the bottle, id say most diet coke drinkers wouldnt care.

I disagree, with cigarettes they're all bad for you so if you smoke, you'll smoke whatever you're use to or like.
    With Diet coke there are so many alternatives that if only one brand said "May cause intestination" then you'll just look along the shelf to a more appealing diet drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

American...the only country where people buy 2 double cheese burgers, large fries and chicken nuggets....and a diet coke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

dylano_k wrote: »
    American...the only country where people buy 2 double cheese burgers, large fries and chicken nuggets....and a diet coke
    No it isn't, that happens all the time here

Advertisement