Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirFrance to 'suggest' obese buy a second seat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happens if a tubby chap is sitting beside an unaccompanied kid? Do they then have to go find two seats next to one another to relocate him to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

What happens if a tubby chap is sitting beside an unaccompanied kid? Do they then have to go find two seats next to one another to relocate him to?

He's a suspected (fat) paedophile and gets moved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just move the kid......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just move the kid......

Before the fatty gets hungry.

I'm surprised that BMI haven't already started this, considering their name. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'm surprised that BMI haven't already started this, considering their name. :D

ba-dum-dish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Wouldnt sitting across two seats be against the health and safety regulations because you cant get the seatbelt to fit properly? Unless of course the large passenger in questions put a seatbelt around each thigh.
    nah, they have their own natural impact protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Faithless

AirFrance are the worse airline I have ever been unfortunate enough to travel with.

The onboard service was dismal at best and less than one week later, the exact same route which I flew on four days previous crashed. (Yes, Rio - Paris). :(

Safety is not the companies main concern. BA on the other hand, is far better.

Also, apart from the fuel/pollution concerns, AirFrance single-handedly frightened the crap out of people by crashing the greatest piece of engineering the human species has ever known, Concorde.

What a bunch of absolute monkeys, the whole organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Morlar wrote: »
    Seems reasonable to me. What do you think ?

+1 about fvcking time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

gavredking wrote: »
    Seems fair tbh, theres also a safety issue to be considered when there is a fat person in the aisle seat they are potentially blocking 2 people from escaping safely should something happen.

They are a safety feature, who else is going to plug the holes during decompression?

I'd imagine the kid would eventually get enveloped for nutrients

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this has just reminded me about a flight from cape town to london a few years ago stuck at the window with 2 of the fattest people ever to squeeze into a seat. the plane was full so couldn't move anyway. but they were so fat that they kept hitting the control for the little tv in front of them, turning it on. i could only watch the crappy movies all the way home.
    i got my revenge when the cabin crew came around with ice cream for anyone that was awake, so i took some. i swear, the look of disappointment on the lard ass' face when she woke up to see me finishing ice cream was priceless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Shudders

That made should've been forced to buy 2. Maybe 3. I mean getting the trolley through must of been a toughie. The man beside, I feel sorry for. Hope it was a short flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

IvySlayer wrote: »
    That made should've been forced to buy 2. Maybe 3. I mean getting the trolley through must of been a toughie. The man beside, I feel sorry for. Hope it was a short flight.

Oh that trolly was never getting through no matter where he was sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Shudders

I wonder how he got through the metal detector in security:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Very happy to hear this.

Always annoyed me that I (a 5'8" cyclist) have the same baggage allowance as someone who weighs 18 stone. I'm not advocating a total passenger + baggage weight limit, but there should be grades of what is permissable, e.g. 10 stone or under, 30 kgs; 11-13 stone, 25 kgs; 14-16 stone, 20 kgs, or something. Over this, people have to pay some reasonable price for extra allowance.

Then again, as a frequent traveller I might just become anorexic to get under 10 stone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I've always found it unfair that if I bring 1 kilo extra in baggage weight I get charged heavely enough, but if some lardy person brings on an extra 30-40k in a different form of "baggage" to myself they encur no extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it's unfair because it's not their fault they're fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

AARRRGH wrote: »

well it's not glandular!

Yeah - being fat is genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Most Obese people I know are Obese for the following reasons:

1. Poor diet
    2. Lack of attitude
    3. **** all willpower to change their lifestyle.

Yes, certainly not their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I was joking. :)

RMD wrote: »
    Most Obese people I know are Obese for the following reasons:

1. Poor diet
    2. Lack of attitude
    3. **** all willpower to change their lifestyle.

Yes, certainly not their fault.

You missed one..

4. Because they have big bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

smccarrick wrote: »
    Depends on what their loading ratio is- Ryanair operate on 110%-120% loading- others are a bit fairer- but there is an assumption that a number of passengers with tickets are not going to turn up....... Just cause they sell you a ticket- doesn't mean you've got a seat- and if you haven't got a seat but you have a ticket- you're entitled to a refund. Seems fair to me.......

I arrived at Ryanair five minutes before the desk was to close (I think 45 minutes before flight time). There was no Ryanair staff there. I asked at an adjacent Ryanair check-in. They told me to go to the Ryanair information / customer service desk about ten yards away. They asked me for my ticket information and passport. They took both into a back office. Ten minutes later they returned and told me I was late for the flight. Three other passengers who were also early were "Ryanair late". We were all at a total loss of our fares thanks to those ********.

They obviously sold our seats to other people.

Hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

It's kinda strange that AirFrance are doing this. For some reason I've always thought France didn't have as many fatties as other countries? Certainly seemed that way any time I was in Paris.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kincsem wrote: »
    I arrived at Ryanair five minutes before the desk was to close (I think 45 minutes before flight time). There was no Ryanair staff there. I asked at an adjacent Ryanair check-in. They told me to go to the Ryanair information / customer service desk about ten yards away. They asked me for my ticket information and passport. They took both into a back office. Ten minutes later they returned and told me I was late for the flight. Three other passengers who were also early were "Ryanair late". We were all at a total loss of our fares thanks to those ********.

They obviously sold our seats to other people.

Hate them.

Michael O'Leary thinks its a great joke- listen to him talk about their loading ratios on any interview- hes actually proud of it. Bastard.

bonerm wrote: »
    It's kinda strange that AirFrance are doing this. For some reason I've always thought France didn't have as many fatties as other countries? Certainly seemed that way any time I was in Paris.

Maybe they should only allow Parisiens to fly on their airline then. The profits may drop, but the fat problem would be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

gavredking wrote: »
    Fat people to be thrown in the under carriage with the luggage FTW.

The luggage is not thrown or stored in the under carriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Well this story doesn't seem to be an issue in France. Probably because I've never seen an a French person not look after themselves. This rule would be mored aimed at the Irish market, makes more sense.

Well this story doesn't seem to be an issue in France. Probably because I've never seen an a French person not look after themselves. This rule would be mored aimed at the Irish market, makes more sense.

According to the Daily Finance, Overall, some 6.5 million French, 14.5% of the population, are now obese, and according to the New York Times, nearly 40 percent are overweight.

You might not have seen them, but that doesn't mean that they ain't at home stuffing their faces with delivered take aways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

According to the Daily Finance, Overall, some 6.5 million French, 14.5% of the population, are now obese, and according to the New York Times, nearly 40 percent are overweight.

You might not have seen them, but that doesn't mean that they ain't at home stuffing their faces with delivered take aways.

I admit there was no fact the back up. Double seat for Gerry Ryan then? He has some cheek to be hosting show operation transformation, the state of him,

Advertisement