Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli organ donors to get transplant priority

Options
  • 17-12-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Israel is to become the first country to give donor card carriers a legal right to priority treatment if they should require an organ transplant.

The law has been changed to try to boost donation rates, as there is a shortage for organs for donation.

Partners and close relatives of those with signed donor cards will also move up the queue, The Lancet medical journal reports.

Critics say patients should be treated on the basis of clinical need.

Writing in The Lancet, Professor Jacob Lavee, of the Sheba Medical Centre, one of the leading advocates for the reform, describes Israel's organ donation statistics as "grim".

As much as they're a bunch of America backed terrorists I really like this decision. Always thought this is how donors should be rewarded and glad to see a country finally do it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8416443.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

That's a pretty good idea. Should be implemented here along with a reward scheme (of some type) for blood donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Certainly a interesting idea, and probably would encourage more people to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

toiletduck wrote: »
    That's a pretty good idea. Should be implemented here along with a reward scheme (of some type) for blood donation.

Tax benefits possibly? Cash up front would just lead to that HIV scandal from years ago.

I think it's a great idea to offer donors priority for transplants, I've always felt people who aren't willing to donate their own when they have no need for them shouldn't have the right to receive them. Has to be an equal playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I would be curious to see why israelis have such low donation levels to begin with (1 in 10 compared to 1 in 4)

I think the most interesting part of the article was this which I fully agree with

But he acknowledged that it violated the principle of "true altruism", and the "ideal" of care being provided solely according to medical need.

Not sure if I agree with 'presumed consent' but it might be worth Ireland considering too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Until the carrying of a donor card overrides the next-of-kins right to decide what happens to someone's organs I won't be carrying a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

job done :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

job done :pac:

yea, then the mossad knock at your door to take the organ back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I got 2 bourbon creams and a bottle of Guinness. Good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

NothingMan wrote: »

Except they don't still do guinness (not in the mobile bloodbank anyway). Some biscuits and a 'well done' pat on the back are about it. Not forgeting the 'monkey' questionairre which is always funny.

Morlar wrote: »
    Except they don't still do guinness (not in the mobile bloodbank anyway). Some biscuits and a 'well done' pat on the back are about it. Not forgeting the 'monkey' questionairre which is always funny.

The questionaire is ridiculous alright, I was 18 when I first donated and was pretty embaressed answering some of the questions, and I couldn't see how they were relevant at all.

So what if I rimmed a Shemale in Thailand less than a bajillion years ago, do you want my blood or not?

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »

Did you not get the pack of tayto aswell? :eek:

Did you not get the pack of tayto aswell? :eek:

I was goin out on the piss after and wanted a cheap night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

wes wrote: »
    Certainly a interesting idea, and probably would encourage more people to donate.

So basically we abandon the idea of medical necessity determining transplant allocation and turn to a "but I have a card" system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Israeli organ donors to get transplant priority

As much as they're a bunch of America backed terrorists I really like this decision. Always thought this is how donors should be rewarded and glad to see a country finally do it.

Stupid idea.
    Seriously, who would want the heart of an Israeli.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

"I'm sorry little Emil, I know you needed a new liver, but Larry Hagman just turned up and he has a card, so he gets it first".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

As much as they're a bunch of America backed terrorists I really like this decision.

What was the purpose of this line?

I dont think it added anything to the discussion except to give your ill informed political views and invite posts such as the oh so clever one below!

mikom wrote: »
    Stupid idea.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Stupid idea.

you cannot give that which does not exist.

What was the purpose of this line?

Two words......... After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm not allowed to donate blood, so why should I be denied it if I needed it? It's not my fault I can't donate. This is one of those things that seems like a good idea but is actually quite stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So basically we abandon the idea of medical necessity determining transplant allocation and turn to a "but I have a card" system.

I just said the idea was interesting, and not that it should be implemented right away. I think it would be better to take a wait and see approach on an actual implementation, and if it fail miserably in Israel, then we shouldn't bother.

• Advertisement

Two words......... After Hours.

Two words ......... So what

Two words ......... So what

Two words x2.......... What's the problem so?

Two words x2.......... What's the problem so?

Your attempt at using anti-semitism as humour is old tired and a little dated, and by a little dated I mean by 135 BC it was already old :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Your attempt at using anti-semitism as humour is old tired and a little dated, and by a little dated I mean by 135 BC it was already old :rolleyes:

You seem to be confusing the Israeli state and criticism thereof with Jews. The two are not synonomous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I prefer the idea that people opt out of donating. Otherwise it's assumed you're ok wit it. Who really wants their corneas to rot in their coffin wit them?

not its not.

[see Southpark for reference]

As much as they're a bunch of America backed terrorists I really like this decision.
    Stupid idea.
    you cannot give that which does not exist.
    Nodin wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing the Israeli state and criticism thereof with Jews. The two are not synonomous.

Very good attempt at distraction, what other assumption would you suggest I take from these comments?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to donate blood, so why should I be denied it if I needed it?

I don't think anyone's proposing that. Blood shortages are of serious concern, I think something should be done to encourage more (and yes I think that some of the rules regarding eligibility should be challenged).

I don't think anyone's proposing that. Blood shortages are of serious concern, I think something should be done to encourage more (and yes I think that some of the rules regarding eligibility should be challenged).

The rules are there for a very good reason. Remember the whole Hep C scandal of a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I don't know about you guys, but i totally hate the Jews.

who do they think they are, living in igloo like they're all kinds special....

Advertisement