Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atherny-Ennis Rail Line

Options
  • 27-11-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Deserves its own thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Good Luck to the Athery to Ennis line when it opens....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

corktina wrote: »

I think this thread will just run and run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run and runand run and run and run and run

and then some slacker will come along and object to it ............

BTW I read on another thread that this line was opening last September could someone tell me if that ever happened:

Floats like a butterfly stings like a bee..(need to read the link to understand).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61400031&postcount=2185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I love trains can I join this thread before it's locked? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Edit thread title: Atherny-Ennis Rail Line Canal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Is this the post mortem thread for the Western Rail Corridor.That threads ran for five years RIP. I read that the Athenry to Ennis line will open in January when the flodding recedes.

• Advertisement

Five years long alright. But the rot looks like it set in less than 20 posts in. This thread doesn't help the people of East Galway or North Clare. Here's hoping for closure.

oh my ..sohf:rolleyes:

Five years long alright. But the rot looks like it set in less than 20 posts in. This thread doesn't help the people of East Galway or North Clare. Here's hoping for closure.

The closure will happen around June 2010, when IE realise they can't run a branch line for a handful of pensioners not actually paying any fares. and actually it was six years of intelligent debate.....

I love trains can I join this thread before it's locked? :D

Get on board JD ..... WOT kind of a ride is this one going to be....(A slow train to Athenry)

The Trains of Athenry:

I pulled into Athenry
    And heard a train whistle blowing

I said Tarquin they have taken our thread away

........more to be added can other infamous contributors think of a few more good lines for the ballad of WRC: The Trains of Athenry.

and good luck to this thread before it is closed down.

• Advertisement

i think it is a deplorable WOT tactic to try to stiffle oppostion by trying to get threads such as the WRC one closed rather than to come out in the open and argue their case. Several of us have quite coherantly stated OUR case that this is the wrong rail project, carried out in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, so why doesnt WOT send a spokesman on here to counter that ? Just think what COULD have been acheived with the money spent on the WRC fior FIVE TRAINS a day each way taking TWO HOURS or more to do the trip....what a waste!!

and good luck to this thread before it is closed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Oh well, the petrolheads and the wannabee right wing economists who want to pull the drawbridge up around Mount Merrion to protect themselves from the great unwashed in the West of Ireland have to play on the Interweb somewhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

i think it is a deplorable WOT tactic to try to stiffle oppostion by trying to get threads such as the WRC one closed rather than to come out in the open and argue their case.

Dealing with a religion this always happens. It's a matter of blind faith or nothing.

This thread doesn't help the people of East Galway or North Clare. Here's hoping for closure.

Oh here comes the sactimonious fake morality...

i think it is a deplorable WOT tactic to try to stiffle oppostion by trying to get threads such as the WRC one closed!!

You think I'm WOT? do a search of my previous posts.

I'm just sick to death of typical political stifling posting tactics in Commuting & Transport.

I beleive that since Politics is more heavily moderated, the WRC thread was a lighter moderated runoff so that those who weren't allowed have their "fun" in Politics would come here and spew to their mouths content. Grand in PMs and all that, but a complete waste to those of us who actually would be affected and don't care about the politics.

Oh well, the petrolheads and the wannabee right wing economists who want to pull the drawbridge up around Mount Merrion to protect themselves from the great unwashed in the West of Ireland have to play on the Interweb somewhere :D

a self confessed petrolhead if you like (although that applies to Bikers really) I'm also I guess a closet locosexual...been a railwayac since 1969, member of at least one railway society and shareholder in another, ex-owner of a 1933 railway carriage on a steam line....read a railway book every night before i go to sleep, have a MGWR 2-6-o and coaches in CIE livery on my mantel piece....etc etc so please dont assume I am anti-Railway...

You think I'm WOT? do a search of my previous posts.

I'm just sick to death of typical political stifling posting tactics in Commuting & Transport.

I beleive that since Politics is more heavily moderated, the WRC thread was a lighter moderated runoff so that those who weren't allowed have their "fun" in Politics would come here and spew to their mouths content. Grand in PMs and all that, but a complete waste to those of us who actually would be affected and don't care about the politics.

and we are sick to death with censorship....if you cant win the fight on facts, then bow out...i STAND OVER MY OPINION.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not in the least political in my case, merely pragmatic .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Is there a lock in this thread's future? Pretty please?

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    Is there a lock in this thread's future? Pretty please?

A couple of locks would come in handy to help the barges make the steep clime out of Sixmilebridge towards Ennis.

I'd like a lock too. Sorry for opening up the closed shop, but it had to be done for the rest of us unwashed westerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

and good luck to this thread before it is closed down

There's no reason why threads about the Western Rail Corridor should be closed here. It, after all, involves commuting and transport.

Like so many aspects of Irish transport, there is a political element to it in terms of the rationale for providing the service.

Probably part of the reason for all the political arguments in the old - and actually very informative - thread is that the line is being reopened for political reasons. Same as every other line being reopened at the moment.

There's no reason for heavy-handed moderating of topics regarding this railway line. There'll always been a political element to all public transport discussions here.

It's completely inconsistent to shut the WRC thread and leave other threads about CIE open. CIE is essentially a political organisation which has been placed in charge of the country's rail and bus systems.

I beleive that since Politics is more heavily moderated, the WRC thread was a lighter moderated runoff so that those who weren't allowed have their "fun" in Politics would come here and spew to their mouths content.

Erm.. I think that most of those spewing are actually just pragmatists rather than political hacks. I can't see how our recent discussions about flooding on the line or about how to timetable an effective service while the Limerick-Ennis section has no passing loop can be seen as political. :rolleyes:

The problem with political discussion, as i'm sure regular Pol browsers see, is that the debate pretty quickly heads for "attacking the man, not the ball". Insults, asides, character assassination, none of which is of any use to people waiting for trains

The problem with political discussion, as i'm sure regular Pol browsers see, is that the debate pretty quickly heads for "attacking the man, not the ball". Insults, asides, character assassination, none of which is of any use to people waiting for trains

So are you seriously suggesting that we cannot discuss the political aspects of a major railway infrastructure project, including the activities of WOT?

It's a particularly important discussion given the plans to extend the WRC to Tuam and Claremorris. I am just concerned that there is an attempt to censor discussion on the project.

If we went for such a narrow definition of politics, we would have to exclude discussion of issues such as:
    - CIE appearances before the Oireachtas Committees
    - All new railway and Luas lines
    - A relatively large portion of CIE's operating decisions
    - the DTO [a political body]

etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hungerford wrote: »
    So are you seriously suggesting that we cannot discuss the political aspects of a major railway infrastructure project, including the activities of WOT?

A previous thread on the WRC was closed - by me - following some serious messing in thread. Hence the comment I suspect. I'm not in the mood for censoring discussion per se, but discussions that wander off topic and dissolve into ad hom attacks and generalised bad tempered posting tends to result in a thread lock. Cf threads about the taxi industry in Dublin. I've closed a load of them in the past as well.

I'm leaving this thread open for the moment. If I see any more narkiness, more infractions and possibly bans will ensue.

Calina wrote: »
    A previous thread on the WRC was closed - by me - following some serious messing in thread.

Fair enough - but I don't see why the messing of others should prevent the serious posters from being able to discuss a major transport project?

The WRC thread had been going for five years without being locked before - surely that's a testiment to the ability of the vast majority of posters to have a relatively mature debate on the topic?

All the thread needs is some careful moderation and stiff action taken against those who act inappropriately. Not blanket locking.

can we have our WRC thread back please?

Im a moderator on several forums and no way would I censor a discussion like this....i would just make sure that all opinions are legal decent and honest, which i beive all them ON BOTH SIDES were on the WRC thread.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    A previous thread on the WRC was closed - by me - following some serious messing in thread. Hence the comment I suspect. I'm not in the mood for censoring discussion per se, but discussions that wander off topic and dissolve into ad hom attacks and generalised bad tempered posting tends to result in a thread lock. Cf threads about the taxi industry in Dublin. I've closed a load of them in the past as well.

I'm leaving this thread open for the moment. If I see any more narkiness, more infractions and possibly bans will ensue.

Calina as you have come out to make a comment on the thread about the censorship and closure of the WRC thread I would say we are entitled to make comment about the best thread about public transport on these boards in fact one of the most interesting forums and debating points about public transport in the west of Ireland probably in Ireland.

"Serious messing in a thread"- who do you think you are talking too? a bunch of kids? We are in the most part adults making our views known about what many of us believe is the most useless waste of public money to be spent on public transport infrastructure in entire island of ireland. I have written thousands of words in my view with valid arguments on the now infamous WRC thread explaining why the public money has been wasted.

Many others have made intelligent and coherent arguments and comments about the WRC thread - if you want to have T&C forum in which people just exchange views about when the bus is arriving from Letterkenny, then go ahead and dumb it down but my god it will be so utterly boring, the intelligent ones posting on this forum will be driven away. Is that what you want?- suppress discussion about commuting and transport about changes to the 42A bus route?

The WRC thread used to slip down the menu from time to time, but then used to come back on the agenda as folks would add more news about the WRC - like the opening up of the debate last week about the timetable, and basically how it was going to deliver what many of us always thought it would - A pretty useless service, which re-opened many of the arguments we have seen in the past bout the merits of the whole project

If Boards.ie don't want seemingly intelligent commentators like DWCommuter, Nostradamus, Corktina, Judgement Day, IIMII, Hungerford, Caraway Stick, serfboard, Spongebob, plus many others (apologies to anyone intelligent I missed) and indeed one of your moderator colleagues Victor and as said plus many others to make their comments and at times have a bit of mild entertainment - then more fool you nd more fool boards.ie

You are destroying what I seemingly believed was the raison d'etre of boards.ie - to get people tallking.

Now I admit the thread had wondered off at times, but most of it was actually quite intelligent wit that certainly added to the thought process of challenging why on earth the WRC was actually happening - some of what was said could be called taking the pi*s out of groups like West on Track, a group who will not debate openly any of the issues or comments they see as negative about their project - and the idea that the whole reason the WRC is being opened, but that is the nature of the beast - no one was threatened, however it now seems open discussion expressing views and opinions is threatened.

That thread was a catalyst for some fantastic discussions - you want to close it - you are strangling discussion.

Now if it has been closed because of one boardsie - Mr Sea Slacker complaining then the decision is completely bonkers. One person cannot be the deciding factor, and I for one would like this decision taken to the other moderators on the board and I ask in the openness of this thread for other boardsters to simply post a thank you note to this post if they feel the decision should be reversed, the debate will continue elsewhere on other message boards and indeed here on boards.ie - I for one won't be hanging around to write on a message board service that does not want nor encourage intelligent debate and allow people to also have a bit of banter and fun. My god censorship!!!! I thought that died with Archbishop McQuaid, I was obviously wrong.

Now Sea Slacker go off and cry to teacher and report me, frankly I don't give a dam. I have said my piece.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement