Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Drum & Bass

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I'm not liking the stuff im hearing lately, it's either too industrial sounding (similar to that awful techstep sound like on No U-Turn Records around the late 90's) or it's just bad remixes of house,etc tunes, surely there has to be other stuff around, ill admit im not especially clued up on that scene thesedays, im primarily into House thesedays, but i always loved what they used to call Hardstep or Jump up jungle and also the mellower LTJ Bukem stuff, so is there any new D & B in the same mould that anyone can recommend?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

This isn't new (1996!) but in case you missed it first time round, excellent release from 4 Hero under the name 'Jacobs Optical Stairway' -

http://www.discogs.com/Jacobs-Optical-Stairway-Jacobs-Optical-Stairway/release/74822

Some tracks from the album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Yeah cheers man i know that one,id know loads of tunes from that era but it's newish stuff im looking to hear and the stuff ive heard over the last few months has been bad but im sure there is some decent stuff out there (as in the styles i described)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I'm quite fond of these guys' output, kinda more in the vain of LTJ mellow stuff, nice big baselines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

u into dbridge at all? or asc? both really good dnb producers (imo) both playing in dublin soon. anything on exit records seems to be great. im aslo liking spectrasoul, commix, calibre, break, et al.

although funnily enuf this is one of my favourite jungle tracks this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-4Fd187bs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Johnny - ASC is amazing and he's playing in Crawdaddy on Friday

Everyone should check out the Autonomic Podcasts - Instra:Mental, D:Bridge and ASC playing influences and new unreleased DnB and Dubstep - if you liked old "intelligent" DnB (hated that phrase tbh) you should check them out, its basically DnB and Dubstep crossed with Basic Channel, Tangerine Dream and Drexciya

If you like the more rolling housey stuff you should check out anything and everything by Calibre, Naibu, Eveson, Mutt, Henree and Alix Perez

If you like the more Jungley stuff you should check out Equinox's radio show on Jungletrain every sunday, the man could get us all stuffed with a fish and a few slices of sliced pan IMO - Equinox, Nebula, Macc, Fanu, Trax, Dub-One, Reactiv and Nolige are names to look for, as well as Ireland's Naphta and Ricky Force

Irish wise, Subtle Audio in Limerick are a world class label, and their newest release has just been licensed to Rephlex after Aphex Twin became a fan in recent years...

If you like the older Jumpup stuff you should check Serum and Bladerunner, Vapour, Icicle, Nymfo etc.

Personally i reckon as a genre it's more creatively healthy than it's been in half a decade, some amazing producers coming through, an awful lot of ****e gets made though, mainly to cater for the UK student night circuit...

Forthcoming events in Dublin to look forward to:

absyslaunch2800x600.jpg

crates.jpg

I'll be on the radio tonight on 106.4FM for the Dublin heads broadcasting from 21.00 onwards, post in here if you need a tune ID or a shout out.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

xdeletiax wrote: »
    u into dbridge at all? or asc? both really good dnb producers (imo) both playing in dublin soon. anything on exit records seems to be great. im aslo liking spectrasoul, commix, calibre, break, et al.

Edit: just saw the post above. absolute nail on head there

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    rockwell, loxy

YES

Know very little about drum n bass, but always liked this one from the 90s...

I'm quite fond of these guys' output, kinda more in the vain of LTJ mellow stuff, nice big baselines :)

im liking those 2 tunes not bad at all

• Advertisement

Everyone should check out the Autonomic Podcasts - Instra:Mental, D:Bridge and ASC playing influences and new unreleased DnB and Dubstep - if you liked old "intelligent" DnB (hated that phrase tbh) you should check them out, its basically DnB and Dubstep crossed with Basic Channel, Tangerine Dream and Drexciya

If you like the more rolling housey stuff you should check out anything and everything by Calibre, Naibu, Eveson, Mutt, Henree and Alix Perez

If you like the more Jungley stuff you should check out Equinox's radio show on Jungletrain every sunday, the man could get us all stuffed with a fish and a few slices of sliced pan IMO - Equinox, Nebula, Macc, Fanu, Trax, Dub-One, Reactiv and Nolige are names to look for, as well as Ireland's Naphta and Ricky Force

Irish wise, Subtle Audio in Limerick are a world class label, and their newest release has just been licensed to Rephlex after Aphex Twin became a fan in recent years...

If you like the older Jumpup stuff you should check Serum and Bladerunner, Vapour, Icicle, Nymfo etc.

Personally i reckon as a genre it's more creatively healthy than it's been in half a decade, some amazing producers coming through, an awful lot of ****e gets made though, mainly to cater for the UK student night circuit...

Forthcoming events in Dublin to look forward to:

absyslaunch2800x600.jpg

crates.jpg

I'll be on the radio tonight on 106.4FM for the Dublin heads broadcasting from 21.00 onwards, post in here if you need a tune ID or a shout out.

Yeah it's really this type of stuff that got me into Jungle although ive always appreciated the mellower stuff too and i too hated the phrase Intelligent Drum & Bass,is there an online link for the radio show?

Cheers folks for the recommendations, and keep them coming;)

Link for the live stream: http://azul.streamguys.com/rnl106

(For those of you without radios)

Will be keeping it deep tonight, lots of Instra:Mental, Calibre, Spectrasoul, Loxy, Digital, Amit and Outrage in the bag...

Sounds very interesting, will defo be checking that out... cheers.

Can't listen to any other youtube clips as in a hotel room and the internet dongle thing doesn't seem to want to let me :(

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Sounds very interesting, will defo be checking that out... cheers.

Can't listen to any other youtube clips as in a hotel room and the internet dongle thing doesn't seem to want to let me :(

http://club-autonomic.com/

Can't stress how good these are - best podcasts on the internet at the moment!

They'll be doing a Fabric CD in January I think... Also, and this is a big deal, they've landed themselves a weekly slot on Rinse FM in rotation with DJ Flight - London's finest pirate showing some love to the cutting edge of DnB for the first time in years...

http://club-autonomic.com/

Can't stress how good these are - best podcasts on the internet at the moment!

They'll be doing a Fabric CD in January I think... Also, and this is a big deal, they've landed themselves a weekly slot on Rinse FM in rotation with DJ Flight - London's finest pirate showing some love to the cutting edge of DnB for the first time in years...

Excellent, thanks for the link - look forward to checking them out.

Id truly love to hear early Jungle tracks like this being rinsed again, this is serious tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y1Efry8USY

check out Hospital Records compilation they released during the summer -Sick Music, some lovely bits on that

also the critical sounds LP- some amazing stuff on that too

check bladerunner's remix of Gappa G and Hyper Hypa- Information Centre
    for a serious jungle remix:D

jonny68 wrote: »
    Id truly love to hear early Jungle tracks like this being rinsed again, this is serious tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y1Efry8USY

Ha, A Sides is a fecking legend TBH, how come you never come to our nights Jonny? We tried to book him before but he wanted more than we figured we could afford at the time...

We've had Remarc, Randall, Equinox, Naphta, Droid, Slug, Mickey Finn and Nookie alll playing pre-94 old school sets at REACH over the years too...

And Kenny Ken and Mc GQ will making an appearance at our third (nearly fourth) birthday in January, playing a 92 - 94 set...

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    check out Hospital Records compilation they released during the summer -Sick Music, some lovely bits on that

also the critical sounds LP- some amazing stuff on that too

check bladerunner's remix of Gappa G and Hyper Hypa- Information Centre
    for a serious jungle remix:D

Wasn't TOO impressed with Sick Music, only liked the Randomer track and the Logistics remix of Droppin Science Vol 1 really, and the Seba tune, but didn't cop the album

Critical Sounds lp was all right, but there was only one decent tune on the vinyl album (the rockwell tune i played on the radio tonight)

Be great if i felt like playing mp3's, but i'm a 100% vinyl dinosaur for teh time being!

not new- but iv only discovered danny breaks recently. ****ing mint!

and yeah, the instra:mental/ dbridge podcasts are excellent.

• Advertisement

xdeletiax wrote: »
    not new- but iv only discovered danny breaks recently. ****ing mint!

One of my all time favourite producers! His label "Droppin Science" has put out some incredible stuff over the years; we have one of the lads who did the last ever release on Droppin Science playing for us on the 13th - Fracture and Neptune are pretty much the musical heirs to Danny Breaks' sound, now that Danny has left the scene and is doing Hip Hop instrumentals instead (check the Alphabet Zoo label for his stuff, Jurassic 5 used to use several of his beats in their live sets, which is a pretty high accolade for a UK producer!)

Danny Breaks was also behind "Sonz of a Loop Da Loop Era" who pretty much did all of my favourite hardcore and old school tunes back in the day -

Droppin Science also signed loads of Mark Pritchard's work under his Use Of Weapons moniker, some people on this board would probably know him better as Harmonic 313 or as part of Global Communications - Mojo Woman is possibly one of my all time favourite DnB tunes, but it isn't on Youtube...

Here's "Switchblade" and "Vicious Enemy" though:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Danny Breaks was also behind "Sonz of a Loop Da Loop Era" who pretty much did all of my favourite hardcore and old school tunes back in the day -

God I used to love that track!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    God I used to love that track!

Brilliant isn't it? Video was shot in Danny Breaks' record shop, "Boogie Times" in Romford. Liam Howlett was a regular customer, and the Suburban Base label was run out of the shop by Dan Donnely et al. Heads in the video are some of the regular customers from the shop - Boogie Times also had another Hardcore namecheck in that the classic "Dark Stranger" tune was made by the "Boogie Times Tribe"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWFV53VO

Best Live set i've downloaded all year - pure vibes TBH; great tunes, loads of old classics and some of the better new tunes around at the moment, might be a llittle dark for you Johnny, but everyone else should grab this asap. Masterful MC-ing as well, 2Shy is a fcuking DON - I don't know who he's talking about around 15 minutes in, but i wouldn't want to be in his shoes...

Loxy & MC 2-Shy

1. Loxy & Resound - Oblivion [CYLON]
    2. System - El Sunrise [N/A]
    3. Krust - Soul In Motion [FULL CYCLE]
    4. Doc Scott - Swarm [METALHEADZ]
    5. Data - Abstractions [N/A]
    6. Dan Habarnam - Rendering The Garlic Boy [X-TINCTION AGENDA]
    7. Isotone & Loxy - Burden [31R]
    8. Loxy & Resound - Fall [CYLON]
    9. Rockwell - Snare Drum Awareness [N/A]
    10. Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing [31R]
    11. Anile - Orthodox [CYLON]
    12. Instra:Mental - No Fututre [NON PLUS+]
    13. Special Forces - Something Else [PHOTEK]
    14. System - Time Target [N/A]
    15. Data & K2 - Kyushojutsu [CYLON]
    16. Bad Company - The Pulse [PROTOTYPE]
    17. ?
    18. Digital - Dirty Money (Amit & Outrage Remix) [FUNCTION]
    19. ?
    20. Icicle - Weak Moments (VIP) [SUBTITLES]

Brilliant isn't it? Video was shot in Danny Breaks' record shop, "Boogie Times" in Romford. Liam Howlett was a regular customer, and the Suburban Base label was run out of the shop by Dan Donnely et al. Heads in the video are some of the regular customers from the shop - Boogie Times also had another Hardcore namecheck in that the classic "Dark Stranger" tune was made by the "Boogie Times Tribe"

Ha ha, exactly the type of trivia I love. The video was a little bit rubbish, but great nostalgia.

Speaking of nostalgia, here's the Ritz ad from the mid 90s, took me years to locate this until someone stuck it up on emireland lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jonny if you're into LTJ Buken I'd say you'd like Greg Packer. I love his stuff, and tbh it's the lighter side of DnB that I'v only ever been drawn to. Can't be doing with all that dark stuff! :p

Wasn't TOO impressed with Sick Music, only liked the Randomer track and the Logistics remix of Droppin Science Vol 1 really, and the Seba tune, but didn't cop the album

Critical Sounds lp was all right, but there was only one decent tune on the vinyl album (the rockwell tune i played on the radio tonight)

Be great if i felt like playing mp3's, but i'm a 100% vinyl dinosaur for teh time being!

i cant stop listening to that luca tune off sick music either- huge in imo

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

one of my favourite d'n'b mixes is "d:bridge live @ propaganda" (should be able to google it for a link).

check him out on the 27th too....

11559_1274933358493_1384720871_30793987_8344189_n.jpg

Ha ha, exactly the type of trivia I love. The video was a little bit rubbish, but great nostalgia.

Speaking of nostalgia, here's the Ritz ad from the mid 90s, took me years to locate this until someone stuck it up on emireland lately...

TUUUUUNE!!!!!!!!!!

Remember listening to this over and over and over again on my headphones in school... Mindblowing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Advertisement