Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Charity Lords of the Ring

Options
  • 15-08-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Watched the first 5 mins...switched off

Rob who?

Lee Sharpe? How hard up is he?

Joe from Seoige?

Why no women?..Miriam O'Callaghan boxing Grainne Seoige..Now that i'd watch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

It was unwatchable. So corny. And who actually likes Lucy Kennedy as a presenter?
    SO bad I think I'd prefer Fáilte Towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I only saw the last 20 minutes but this really was poor. I don't think the boxing will appeal to anyone who likes the usual "vote off" celeb shows. How will the charities make any money from it?

You don't see enough of the contestants to develop any interest in who wins or loses, one defeat and they are gone.

I didn't really like any of RTE's other reality shows but this is the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

giftgrub wrote: »
    Watched the first 5 mins...switched off

Rob who?

Lee Sharpe? How hard up is he?

Joe from Seoige?

Why no women?..Miriam O'Callaghan boxing Grainne Seoige..Now that i'd watch

Didn't get to see it (thankfully) but another Reality show with Lee feckin Sharpe involved!!:rolleyes:
    That guy must have been in every reality show in UK and here by now... except Big Bro (has to be a must for next celeb version)

Sounds a bad idea, and hope it flops with ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I thought I had read that there were bouts for this filmed last week, with that chap from the Seoige show and some other nobody retiring from the programme due to injury?

I thought that meant it was already shown. If its prerecorded, how does the voting principle work?

( Lucy Kennedy and that eejit from Bull Island are involved. I wont be tuning in to find out for myself, so if anyone knows, they can pop the reason up here. Ta. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

The fact that it's about boxing is going to put a lot of people off who would normally watch RTE reality shows.

The "celebrities" are dull and weren't even introduced properly, no insight into interactions or anything. Far too much product placement as well.

At least Failte Towers was a bit of fun, but this show is like watching paint dry - I won't be watching again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

its Total Bollox - what else is/was to be expected from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

what is the sean gallagher doing getting involved in this trash.....you wouldnt peter jones at it

bonzos wrote: »
    what is the sean gallagher doing getting involved in this trash.....you wouldnt peter jones at it

yeah, but he ain't no peter jones?
    Like Sean's bizz has virtually flopped here - he's not in the same league at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

bonzos wrote: »

He's far too busy with moneysupermarket and BT ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Even Colm and JimJim wasnt this bad !

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Even Colm and JimJim wasnt this bad !

on a par i'd say............lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JG Murphy wrote: »
    Is it appropriate to have Lucy Kennedy on the show with her pregnant belly hanging out and wearing a sports bra type top?
    Does she look hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Does she look hot?

If you have a thing for men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'll take that as a no then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Watched this on fast forward thanks to Sky+. Bit of a car crash to be honest. What was with the room where the fights were? It looked like a wedding hall!

I didn't realise it was that Dragon guy until well into it, and had to laugh at Ray Shah just hanging about like a spare tool.

The credits made for interesting reading too... It would seem there are a few hard up Irish 'personalities' out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

JG Murphy wrote: »
    Is it appropriate to have Lucy Kennedy on the show with her pregnant belly hanging out and wearing a sports bra type top?

Yeah, I actually felt sorry for her. She looked so undignified.

Go Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

giftgrub wrote: »
    Why no women?..Miriam O'Callaghan boxing mud-wrestling Grainne Seoige..Now that i'd watch
    Fixed it for you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Caught the last 5 minutes of this. The actual boxing was actually quite exciting.

Re Lucy: It's a bad sign when your co-host the ex boxer is a better TV presenter than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

What does Lucy Kennedy add to the equation? Barry McGuigan can hold his own on telly enough to present it himself. Waste of money imo. Also Brian Ormonde with the tale of the tape wtf? Crap program so far. Also the ref seems to be taken the piss and being to leineint on people ducking with punches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Last night was the first time that I've watched this, had to keep changing channels in an effort to watch the boxing, not the build-up.

When they started with Barry Mcguigan's flashback to the first withdrawal, then Lucy Kennedy "bumping into" an injured Joe O'Shea I thought right, that's as far as they'll go with the dramitisations, surely. When we had the complilation of the lads getting the all important call back to the program though, I had enough.

Didn't even see the boxing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

"Hands up" I admit I watched all but the first half of last night and was well confused when two who lost the night before were back and Joe O'Shea and Jack Sheedy were missing. I see from the post above that O'Shea was injured. What happened Sheedy?

BTW, bar the major corny bits, I've found it watchable. Seeing how these lot are like in a ring having never hit anyone before, I find, is interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Shockingly badly thought out, poorly executed. The reaction shots on new developments ("Barry, we've just heard a new one has dropped out" "Holy mother of God, what shall we do????" despite Barry obviously knowing it for the last 24 hours) are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Watched it on the website, don't know what episode it was probably the last one, I thought it was hilarious. All the guys coming in with sick notes, bunch of pansies! I almost vomited when I saw them in the health spas though, it really annoys me to see RTEs finest living it up, really, really gets my goats up.

Terrible, terrible show. I didn't even get to see some RTE **** get the head knocked off him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just watched this now. Awful stuff. Sent home the best lad cos he was too good. Lads training pushing bales of ****e around a field. Talking heads to camera worse than the old WWF (Wrestling, not wildlife). Witherspoon singing to Ben Clarke after he was told that he has an aneurysm? Has the lad no tact? Lucy there like one of the lads pregnant missus who only came along cos she's on maternity leave. And that "what have you got to say to each other bit" is the most cringeworthy piece of TV i've ever seen.

I thought it couldnt be as bad as ye said it was in the posts above. Unfortunately I underestimated RTE. Wish they'd thrown Tubridy in the ring.,.. with a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Saw the line-up of contestants in an ad and decided to give it a miss. Now, if only Gerry Ryan was a contender, I think I'd PPV to watch him get some sh1te knocked out of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Tzetze wrote: »
    Saw the line-up of contestants in an ad and decided to give it a miss. Now, if only Gerry Ryan was a contender, I think I'd PPV to watch him get some sh1te knocked out of him!

In fairness, most of the country would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

in fairness wtf is a pregnant woman doing presenting a boxing show? Alan Shortt is very annoying and not very funny.

in fairness wtf is a pregnant woman doing presenting a boxing show? .

Why would Lucy Kennedy choose to do this programme in her condition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What's the problem.....she's presenting....not boxing!
    She's also only pregnant, not ill!

Anyway, just watched the last half hour!

Truly awful, no drama or excitement.

Editing on fights was terrible.....why couldn't they have shown it live?

Advertisement