Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

taung wrote: »
    gtg60, for the current AZBOX Firmware version (2173) which settings (both AZBOX & WiFi Router) worked for you and how many digits/letters did you have in the WEP/WPA password?

Here's the way I set it up.

In my router I use WPA-PSK mode, the pre-shared key is 12 characters long.

In my AZBox I don't use DHCP I have set a static IP, after selecting WiFi then picking out my connection on the list I select WPA/WPA2-PSK, enter the passkey, hit select, this will bring you out, then hit setup, it should say completed, then Reboot and you're done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

gtg60 wrote: »
    Here's the way I set it up.

In my router I use WPA-PSK mode, the pre-shared key is 12 characters long.

In my AZBox I don't use DHCP I have set a static IP, after selecting WiFi then picking out my connection on the list I select WPA/WPA2-PSK, enter the passkey, hit select, this will bring you out, then hit setup, it should say completed, then Reboot and you're done!

hmmm, I've tried this already, albeit with a significantly longer password/key....do you still have DHCP enabled on the router?

I can't even see my WiFi network on the AZBOX list @ the moment.....

hmmm, I've tried this already, albeit with a significantly longer password/key....do you still have DHCP enabled on the router?
    Yes, DHCP is enabled on the router but that doesn't matter as the AZBox defines it's own IP address, this may have nothing to do with anything, I just like knowing what IP's my items have.
    I can't even see my WiFi network on the AZBOX list @ the moment.....
    Ah, that's not right at all, I can see my network and my neighbours and he uses a standard Eircom one. Can any other device you have see/ connect to your router wirelessly?

What is the IP of your router?

Ah, that's not right at all, I can see my network and my neighbours and he uses a standard Eircom one. Can any other device you have see/ connect to your router wirelessly?

What is the IP of your router?

My router IP is 192.168.1.99. Two other devices see and connect to the WiFi network perfectly over WPA-PSK

When I had the pre-installed AZBOX FW it was able to 'see' my WiFi network.

Thanks.

When I had the pre-installed AZBOX FW it was able to 'see' my WiFi network.

Which one was that? Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and then reinstalling the firmware?
    Or what about setting a Static IP in the range 192.168.1.xx

I don't know if this makes a difference but in the latest firmware did you go into 'Network Service' and Enable all the settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RapidResults

Has anyone here got the AZBOX to connect over secure WiFi?
    It was very flaky with my old Linksys router (my Archos 605 could not 'see' that router either').

I bought a fancy Belkin router with lots of aerials on it and I moved the router away from solid walls to give a better signal path throughout the house.

Now the Archos 605 and the AZBox connect reliablly. I've been able to download firmware, channel lists and plugins.

Transfer rates are abysmal, but that's due to system throttling.

I'm a bit nervous about the plugins possibly making the box unstable, so I'm avoiding them at present.

Picture quality is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Agree 100% picture quality is excellent if any one is intrested I have some good channel lists I'v made for 28.2 and 13e

I NEED THE EPG
    the pvr function is useless without

Ohh yeah I got mine from SoarTV must say brialliant chap dropped it down to my office block excellent guy. I think it is Slegs here so fair play chappy

Which one was that? Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and then reinstalling the firmware?
    Or what about setting a Static IP in the range 192.168.1.xx

I don't know if this makes a difference but in the latest firmware did you go into 'Network Service' and Enable all the settings?

Halleluiah! I fiinally got the WiFi connectivity going.:D

And, the thing that got it working....resetting the factory defaults! For some reason when I upgraded the firmware it wasn't properly installed until I clicked the 'Factory Defaults' option!

This AZBOX is pure donkey of a machine. There's going to be several iterations in the firmware required before they could ever dream of putting on the market in any 'normal' shops.

Something else to note for others; the MAC address printed on a sticker on the underside of the AZBOX is the Ethernet LAN MAC not the WiFI card MAC. (Another consequence of the incomplete firmware upgrade I did was that 'Settings' screen did not display the MAC addresses. Thankfully I can see all settings and MAC addresses now.)

Anyhow, muchos gracias gtg60 for getting me onto the right path!

This AZBOX is pure donkey of a machine. There's going to be several iterations in the firmware required before they could ever dream of putting on the market in any 'normal' shops.
    I've got a recent BBC1 recording that just won't play (others do) and sometimes when I hit the 'back' button too often or too quickly, it reboots. It's beginning to resemble 'Windows ME'.

When's the next firmware?

I've got a recent BBC1 recording that just won't play (others do) and sometimes when I hit the 'back' button too often or too quickly, it reboots. It's beginning to resemble 'Windows ME'.

When's the next firmware?

Firmware? I propose calling the AZBOX firmware Jellyware from now on......;)

• Advertisement

Halleluiah! I fiinally got the WiFi connectivity going.:D

And, the thing that got it working....resetting the factory defaults! For some reason when I upgraded the firmware it wasn't properly installed until I clicked the 'Factory Defaults' option!

Good stuff :D I hang around in a forum with a very strong AZBox gathering, they have loads of tips and tutorials, one thing always stated is to wipe everything when upgrading firmware, not only resetting to factory defaults but also deleting channels and plugin's and even formatting the application area for the firmware, I do it out of habit now so probably why it didn't spring to mind first :o

If anybody wants a link to this forum just PM me, there's a ton of info over there.

Funnily enough, I'm finding this firmware rock solid but I've had some jellyware in the past :p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That sounds like a right nuisance. Reminds me of the Octagon SF918 I had, which had a similar carry-on when upgrading from one buggy firmware to the next. (God I was glad to get rid of that thing!)

I can't help but notice the alarming amount of receivers that get released these days, that are not doing what they were perceived to do, with updates required all the while. Instead of beta-testers, it seems the customers have become the new testers.

byte wrote: »
    I can't help but notice the alarming amount of receivers that get released these days, that are not doing what they were perceived to do, with updates required all the while. Instead of beta-testers, it seems the customers have become the new testers.
    The nearest thing to the AZBox in terms of range of features might be the Panasonic DMR-BS850, but it costs twice as much, is tied to FreeSat and is hobbled by DRM.

Right now, I think the AZBox is at 80% of its promise. It's that missing 20% that's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Can anyone tell me whether I need a cam for the AZ box Premium when using an ART card/Al Jazeera Card and an official Sky card?

Thanks

Superfin wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whether I need a cam for the AZ box Premium when using an ART card/Al Jazeera Card and an official Sky card?

Can't comment on the ART card but I HEARD on another forum that someone had gotten a White Sky card to work, they're so new though that I'd give it a bit of time for verification/ development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Question:
    would this box work with a regular "non-hd" tv. I'm considering upgrading my hobby sat system from a TM 1600, but I've only a crt in the bedroom. I'd use an av sender to view channels on my hd tv in the sitting room. I presume that SD channels will display fine via scart, and hd channels would just be blank if selected?

has anyone tried this? I really dont want to damage the tv, and I'm not going to upgrade a functioning tv just to watch a couple of extra channels in my bedroom.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Question:
    would this box work with a regular "non-hd" tv. I'm considering upgrading my hobby sat system from a TM 1600, but I've only a crt in the bedroom. I'd use an av sender to view channels on my hd tv in the sitting room. I presume that SD channels will display fine via scart, and hd channels would just be blank if selected?

Yes, of course, it will be fine and HD channels will be displayed they will just be 'downgraded' to SD quality.

I guess you didn't get your DVB-T tuner yet gtg60? What's the story here?

No, even though I had one on order since I bought the Elite and Premium, I'm not too pushed about it, it's the 2 DVB-S2 tuners I really want, slegs from SaorTV always knew this and when he said he had a customer screaming for one and would I mind letting him have it (and said I could have discount on my two DVB-S2 ones :D) then I said fine, he's getting a load over the next few days anyway. There's a good review on the SaorTV site of them in action, either way I'll be giving my own low down when I get it :cool:

I have the DVB-T tuner in my premium. It was sent on to me by Saor when it became available. Installation was straightforward.

It disappointed at first when the AZBOX general channel scan got nothing, but I got the channels when I told it to specifically go for 738mhz (Ch54) which is the frequency my Panasonic TV gets.

I successfully recorded a number of programs from RTE2 last night. The EPG implementation is quite good, I selected three or four programs.

Playback of anything on the AZBOX is a 'take a deep breath' experience as it seems to take a minute to decide whether or not to play, starts, stops stutters and then runs smoothly.....or not at all. But, on this occasion, it eventually opened all the recordings.

For playback, some things the AZBox does not have, are ability to 'bookmark' a section of a recording so you can come back to it later, also to jump by percentage through a recording. These are on on Topfield SD PVR.

It's a very ambitious box, with some annoying bugs, foibles & lapses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭cormacl

I successfully recorded a number of programs from RTE2 last night. The EPG implementation is quite good, I selected three or four programs.

The $50,000 question.. Will it let you record both terrestrial and satellite at the same time?
    Playback of anything on the AZBOX is a 'take a deep breath' experience as it seems to take a minute to decide whether or not to play, starts, stops stutters and then runs smoothly.....or not at all. But, on this occasion, it eventually opened all the recordings.

Are the playback issues mostly with 3rd party recordings or also with the native recordings? You should expect the native recordings to have perfect playback.

I get issues with 3rd party files on my Dreambox. I can play back divx, mkv, mp4, mpg1&2 files etc.. but nothing plays as flawlesly as its native mpeg2 or H.264 transport stream files. I get issues in fast forwarding/rewinding and the like.. its probably the key frame and rate variations that makes this harder. During or just after scanning, you can get garbled audio bursts, pixelation issues and the like. It will settle down very quickly after you exit the scanning modes.

I've used Linux tools like mplayer in the past to rip my DVDs into mpeg2 files and then used projectx to rework these into mpeg2 TS files.. the results were flawless playback and scanning on the dreambox.

More recently with the DM8000 and its HD/H.264 capability, I've tried Handbrake to create mp4 or mkv containers and then used tsMuxer to render the TS files.. playback is perfect and quality is as good as it can be for an SD DVD rip but scanning can still have issues. I'd say it would take some patience and time to get the correct profile together to get the H.264 encoding exactly to spec.

I have a HD camcorder that records in AVCHD format and can use tsMuxer to very quickly rework these into ts files that play back perfectly with perfect scanning results... but I think AVCHD is much closer to the H.264 broadcast streams.

cormacl wrote: »
    The $50,000 question.. Will it let you record both terrestrial and satellite at the same time?
    No.
    cormacl wrote: »
    Are the playback issues mostly with 3rd party recordings or also with the native recordings?
    Native. I'd say that 90% play back, but I've had some that did not. I also tried a DVD rip and it was troublesome.

I just installed today's firmware, (.9.2880) and it totally wiped out my positioner configuration. But, maybe there are some good points to the lastest release.

I think I've figured out that file transer via wired Ethernet is considerably faster than by WiFi or USB....but everytime I switch to wired Ethernet, I have to reconfigure the WiFi settings and WPA password when I switch back.

Combo tuner support only at present, twin tuner support reported to be available in the firmware release due 2nd week of August.

I have the DVB-T tuner in my premium. It was sent on to me by Saor when it became available. Installation was straightforward.

It disappointed at first when the AZBOX general channel scan got nothing, but I got the channels when I told it to specifically go for 738mhz (Ch54) which is the frequency my Panasonic TV gets.

For playback, some things the AZBox does not have, are ability to 'bookmark' a section of a recording so you can come back to it later, also to jump by percentage through a recording. These are on on Topfield SD PVR.

It's a very ambitious box, with some annoying bugs, foibles & lapses

Well, it's good to hear that the AZBOZ DVB-T tuner works well with the Irish DTT tests.

I've been ripping my hair out over the last few weeks with my AZBOX, the WiFi connectivity is highly unstable. If virtually any settings are changed on my box the WiFi connectivity goes and the only remedy seems to be firmware re-installation!:eek:

Additionally, I've had serious problems attempting to format an internal hard drive.:(

Here's hoping that one day the Opensat development "team" release stable firmware supporting "exactly what is says on the tin".:rolleyes:

I've been ripping my hair out over the last few weeks with my AZBOX, the WiFi connectivity is highly unstable. If virtually any settings are changed on my box the WiFi connectivity goes and the only remedy seems to be firmware re-installation!:eek:
    My WiFi was unstable until I bought a more modern router and relocated it. The new firmware says it improves on WiFi issues. Wifi can be disruptd by video-senders or neighbours WiFi.
    Additionally, I've had serious problems attempting to format an internal hard drive.:(
    No problems for me. What errors?

Latest problem, since I installed new firmware is that on radio channels, the audio drops out for half a secod every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I read on another forum that there are problems with the AZBOX that cannot be fixed with firmware updates.They are bringing out new receivers with the problems fixed.

Anyone else read about this?

I have been informed by a good source that the problem lies with the DVB-T and dvb-c combination it does not affect the s2 or t combination. But you will be able to send it back to be fixed if needs be,
    Its not a major change. But keep on a eye on things and see how they go.
    It could be a good time to grab a bargain on ebay as people panic and start to offload these recievers. Saw one go for 200 euros.

Hi
    Problem is i only got one and if i had of know i would have waited for new one with problem fixed.Is your good source selling them?

No read it on a forum I can pm you if needs be.

• Advertisement

No problem.Hope they can sort out fault and replace mine if needed.

Advertisement