Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch this Tonight - Breeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

I watched this tonight. Very good, but shocking. A few minutes in to it, and I was close to sobbing. Very, very sad.
    I think the tv3 website has a 'catch-up' section where you can view past programs. Logged onto it a while ago, but it doesn't seem to be there yet, might take a while.
    Selfish, vanity-driven owners. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

OH my god I'm completely paranoid after this show, and so worried about my king charles. He does alot of scratching, and he gets his flea treatments from the vet, I comb through him but yet he still scratches, I'm worried that he might have that syringomelia :(:(:confused:. He is always scratching the back of his front paws, then his neck and face, and I've combed through him to see if anything is in there but can't find anything. I don't feed him chocolate or anything bad like that. He doesn't appear to be in pain when he is scratching, but he is always doing it. I'm so worried now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I understand it was a very scary, upsetting program for a lot of viewers. But it showed what has been going on for years. Totally illogical comment by some of those people. It also showed that if you go against them and don't do things their way you will not be thanked, e.g the lady campaigning for cavaliers. She is not at all liked. Also it's clear a lot of those people were willing to lie to the camera to cover up the truth.

Infertility has become a big problem over the years, also dogs being born without their testicles.

Remember, not every breeder has the same views as them, a lot of small breeders have been working away from those old ways so do not put them all in the same boat.

Also see the thread on puppy farmms / sick dogs for more discussion on ethics in dog breeding. Also you will see very clearly that there is information guiding you on what you are not allowed to say re breeders / farmers etc. whish could be construed as libelous. We don't want the thread to be shut down, again.

If you are a pet owner without much experience and the program FREAKED you out, don't overly panic. If there was something seriously wrong with your dog you would suspect you need to take him to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Having seen parts of this programme before, i was disgusted to watch it in full. The comment the breeder made about culling pups without a ridge on the back and killing perfectly healthy pups is disgraceful.
    As a breeder of boxers, i know only too well what has happened to pedigree dogs in this country - i get calls and emails from owners who's pets have heart disease, cancer, hair loss, allergies the list goes on and on.

In my opinion the Kennel Club are most responsible - they over the years created Canine Breed Standards to suit human opinion - based on appearances alone ( eg' the german shepard showed on the programme last night yet still won despite hardly being able to walk straight). How many pedigree dogs now resemble their ancestors? It is shocking and this is what people have done over the years.

Secondly show people: They have over the years and continue to breed to try get "a perfect example of the breed" - this being achieved by inbreeding and line breeding - the health never taken in to consideration and thus creating the vast number of genetical diseases associated with breeds. The life span of nearly all pedigree dogs has been reduced greatly. To make matters worse those top male dogs that won the shows where offered to stud to females - thus over time creating a new breed of pedigree dogs that would inevitably would be related somewhere in the lines - not to mention the spread of inhereted genetical diseases and illness for specific breeds. Then the majority of show people move on to their new "winner" and then the cycle continues - how many older once "show winner, with champion lines" ads do you see looking for new homes. The trophies are won, the stud fees collected maybe an offspring kept to continue show line success and thank you very much and good luck! Sad but true.

Thridly: Bad breeders, they use a breeds popularity to make money from it. They breed from females twice a year and until the female is exhausted ( i must point out here again the kennel club has failed to ensure there are proper guidelines in place to prevent a female been bred from 2x in a year). Breeders that dont spend the money to health test there dogs prior to breeding and breeders who inbreed and line breed.:mad::mad: Yes the cost is expensive but you are effectively improving the health of a breed by doing so. Education and research needed also - and last nights programme will certainly create awareness to this problem.

Fourthly: Those who continue to buy pedigree dogs that have not been tested and whose pedigree lines are closely related. People who are spending lots of money on PB's should be asking to see proof of hip scoring, heart testing, eye testing and up to date vaccine records of the sire and dam and written confirmation that the pups have been vaccined and vet checked. ( A reputable breeder will show these documents and explain the importance of testing dogs ).

This is just my opinion - not all breeders are bad, a small few are trying to improve it but it is a hard battle ( espically sourcing dogs not related to your own). And hopefully people will be more aware of the problems out there and what to look out for.

But the kennel clubs need to raise the bar and change rules and guidelines real fast otherwise nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

OH my god I'm completely paranoid after this show, and so worried about my king charles. He does alot of scratching, and he gets his flea treatments from the vet, I comb through him but yet he still scratches, I'm worried that he might have that syringomelia :(:(:confused:.

You should bring him to the vet, at least you'll gain peace of mind if it turns out he doesn't have it.

Does anyone else feel like rescuing a ridgeless Rhodesian puppy now? (I hear they are a handful and are very protective of their people though)

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed

According to this, a sequel is in plans.

Margaret Carter was voted out of the Cavalier Breed club after she revealed the health problems of the Best in Show winner.

The BBC won't be covering Crufts 2009, Pedigree and Hills Pet nutrition both pulled their sponsorship and several animal welfare charities including the RSPCA have cut their ties as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Demonique wrote: »
    I'm glad they named and shamed some of the breeders including that fake-tanned bottle blonde with the cavalier

And they asked the Kennel Club guy if he'd have a baby with his daughter...

I agree with you, i cant believe she lied to the camera like that... im still angry over it today...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Does anyone else feel like rescuing a ridgeless Rhodesian puppy now? (I hear they are a handful and are very protective of their people though)

we got one a few years ago and he is the biggest baby, not over protective at all, will go waggle and roll over at any strangers that come in the house/or that he meets on the beach!

sickle wrote: »
    we got one a few years ago and he is the biggest baby, not over protective at all, will go waggle and roll over at any strangers that come in the house/or that he meets on the beach!

Did you get him as a pup or an older dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Did you get him as a pup or an older dog?

We got him when he was about 3 months old, apparently abandoned due to the lack of the ridge.

• Advertisement

Hi Shinners

Are there any boxer clubs that are nothing to do with the kc out there. Or any other breed clubs.

I also hold the KC to blame for all the problems that exist with dogs. Their organisation is totally money orientated. And where there's money there's corruption. It's because of their bad breeding practices and those of the show people, who look down their noses at the small breeders.

However from my own bits of research, few people actually seem all that bothered. there's a very apathetic mood out there from all corners, which allows all of these practises to continue, even puppy farming. From the "old boys club" at the top down to the person on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Just ban Crufts and all those , should take away the attraction for a lot of muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bushy... wrote: »
    Just ban Crufts and all those , should take away the attraction for a lot of muppets.

Now why would you do that?

You cant tar all dog owners that show their dogs with the one brush, the majority of people that show their dogs do because they have a passion for it and its a hobbie that both the dog and owner love.

Have you ever been to a dog show? Have you seen how happy the dogs are in the ring? tails wagging and in great form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

the only appear happy cause of the face-lifts

sos33 wrote: »
    the only appear happy cause of the face-lifts

Oh you havent got a clue, have you ever been to a dog show? have you ever met any of the dogs at one? or know any of the owners of one? i doubt it, so please dont talk bullsh** when you dont know what you are talking about.
    I own a dog that i show too and he really enjoys the shows, i wouldnt do them if he didnt. If you go to any shows you will see how much they enjoy them.
    So please before you go making comments like that please wait til you have your facts straight, or evidence to back up your statements.

In fairness to show people they do work very hard with their dogs going to shows. It's very time consuming and a long tiring day and if it was equated money wise then it wouldn't pay. They do it for the love of it. If they make their dog up to be a champion then yes I do think they should command high stud fees, they've certainly put in the work. On the whole they are bastions of the breed, striving for perfection and purity.

If you want the best of quality or good healthy dogs then it comes at a price. If you want to pay bargain basement prices for dogs then your buying rubbish. Good breeders, even if it's breeder with only one dog, spend a lot of money time and effort on their dogs and puppies. Which is exactly why pedigree dogs are not cheap.

It's just unfortunate that there have been some bad practises allowed to taint things.

A big thumbs up to all those who care and are doing things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i breed german shepherds i have to say none of mine look or move like the ones on tv.I have had german shepherd show breeders critize my dogs as my dogs look like the dogs from the 1940s ,I breed for movement bone substance temperament and im happy to say my dogs are correct.That programme had me in tears even though i had seen it before.

Hi Morganna

Well done for sticking to your guns and doing it right. It's not easy as you have some out there with elitist attitudes who think that they are the bastions and only they know how it should be done. Thankfully their flawed ways are now so apparent it cannot be argued against. Very unfortunate for the dogs who have suffered though.

I hate those shepards with sloping backs, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Seen this program before fair shocking stuff.
    I remember hearing stories from my father when I
    was a kid where he told me that dalmations used to be
    killed as pups if they did not have spots,

I'm kind of OK with the idea where dogs over the years were bred
    a certain way for a purpose like working dog with characteristices in the breed
    were encouraged to perform a job function better.

It does not sit as well with me when dogs are bred for
    toys or something that just looks nice for a person.
    like breeding a dog where the more folds of fat it has
    is better! crazy!

There was also a series of programs which followed a group
    of show dog owners around to the various shows that they
    goto to try and win. My God! that was almost as shocking
    some of the poeple were just plain Nuts!

I had wondered this year why Crufts was not on telly like
    previous years, I did not know that the BBC had decided to withdraw its coverage of Crufts for 2009
    partially because of this program.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I have a 1936 our dogs annual and it is shocking how much the breeds have changed

• Advertisement

Hi Morganna thanks for pm. Gorgeous dogs.

Hi bullets, I agree with you, some of the show people come across as nuts ! Especially Americans. I guess a lot of the trouble is most people nowadays don't see dogs as - well exactly that, dogs!

They are not children,they are not babies, they are not cuddly toys, they are - DOGS.

Many different variations, many different temperaments and qualities and many different purposes. It seems the world has swung from one extreme to another. I hate cruelty but it also makes me a bit sick to watch the likes of Battersea, talking about them like they are people and letting them LICK THEIR FACES, URGH . . Dogs lick their genitals. also the RSPCA has come under fire recently. That they have swung far from their original purpose.

Did ye see the bassett hound. OMG I love bassets but the one on the progrram was awful. It looked like it was wearing clothes 3 times too big. and they advocate and push this kind of breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

bushy... wrote: »

I've said previously that I don't show my dogs and have no interest in doing so, but I don't see why people can't have a hobby. There are a lot of dogs have a much worse life than a show dog, who spend a lot of their lives with their owner. Through another forum I have met and become friends with a few people who show their dogs. They care passionately about their dogs, and to a certain extent, their lives revolve around their dogs. During the show season they are off most weekends around the country, spending the whole day with their dogs, their dogs are also interacting with other dogs and are very sociable. They also put a lot of work into getting their dogs up to a standard where they can be shown, I don't mean grooming, washing, but instead I mean ringcraft lessons, obedience etc, all of which are good for a dog surely?

Yes, you get people with a bad attitude in showing, as you do in everything, and there are the stupid politics that go on in everything but don't tar everybody with the same brush. If these dogs didn't get proper exercise etc, they wouldn't be in a fit shape to show, so they have a good life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

andreac wrote: »
    Oh you havent got a clue, have you ever been to a dog show? have you ever met any of the dogs at one? or know any of the owners of one? i doubt it, so please dont talk bullsh** when you dont know what you are talking about.
    I own a dog that i show too and he really enjoys the shows, i wouldnt do them if he didnt. If you go to any shows you will see how much they enjoy them.
    So please before you go making comments like that please wait til you have your facts straight, or evidence to back up your statements.
    look i know dog shows are a way of life for people and they are enjoyed by young and old and i have being to some but on the basis of this programme there is a major problem with the breeding pool for dogs thats causing health issues both mental and phyiscal for the animals, which is the the issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I have this recorded on Sky, some of these comments make me not want to watch it.

Is dog breeding not licensed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Like the evidence you had for the outrageous comments you made about my dog? I seem to remember you scarpering from that thread.

There was evidence enough in that show to back up the comments made. One Crufts winner had a face lift for god's sake, doesn't that show the OP has plenty of evidence.

Different dogs like different things. I accept that. But the majority of dogs weren't bred for the purpose of parading around a show ring. That said, I have been to dog shows and there are genuine people. They are plenty of people who aren't so genuine too.

It's the same as anything.

I didnt scarper from any thread by the way.

You cannot tar all people that show their dogs with the one brush from watching that show.
    I know a lot of people in a lot of different breeds at the shows and none of them are involved in anything like what went on in that programme.

Im talking about shows in ireland by the way, that show was based in the uk.

Now why would you do that?

You cant tar all dog owners that show their dogs with the one brush, the majority of people that show their dogs do because they have a passion for it and its a hobbie that both the dog and owner love.

Have you ever been to a dog show? Have you seen how happy the dogs are in the ring? tails wagging and in great form.

Same reason lots of things are banned.
    Way too much damage done by a few people (out of many).

Think about it.
    The dogs are happy because of attention , around other dogs/people etc
    Not because they won because their ears are pointy or similar.

I didnt scarper from any thread by the way.

You cannot tar all people that show their dogs with the one brush from watching that show.
    I know a lot of people in a lot of different breeds at the shows and none of them are involved in anything like what went on in that programme.

Im talking about shows in ireland by the way, that show was based in the uk.

You probably don't see it because you love your dog for what he is.
    Plenty not like you though sadly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

What are the KC making money on from allowing bad breeding that they can't make on good breeding ???

I've known for years now that they put down Dalmnations with blue eye's because they are deaf and most white GSD are drowned at birth by the breeders because they don't want to be found out but watching that program is more than disturbing. I've had lots of GSDs over the years and never had one with a slopping back or frog feet and all were kc reg.

My rough collie came from show breeders and her mam and dad were only ever breed together, if the first litter from a pair were great she only ever breed that pair together for life, and if not great pups she tryed other matches until she got it right, thats nearly 20 yrs ago, and up until her twilight years she never had any health probloms, it just go's to show how much can happen behind closed doors now a days.

I think the goverments of all countries should enforce new laws as to the standerd of breed, I'd much rader see a healthy dog in the show ring, than feel like I have to bring along bottles of oxygen to keep them alive.

But this is not only effecting dogs, I hear through the grape vine there is now problems with cats, rabbits and horses appearing to, it's sad to think people go to such lenghts knowing the animals will suffer in the long run, how can they say they love them, these people should be banned and the KC's shut down.

Advertisement