Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers on the doss!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cool username

Sigh.. sorry combination of 30 four year olds, staying up last night to do term 3 planning and then finding out I missed a week and stressing about one little boy who thinks all letters have a "ssssss" sound, and another who doesn't seem to have picked up more english than the word "toilet" since starting school, and another who spent the day pretending to be a plane... saw another teacher-trashing tread and kinda lost it! But yes you are right... cups of tea should sort it out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Seriously we are in a recession caused by the teachers.... oh no we're not! So stop being stingy bast**ds and getting thick with people simply because they have jobs... Go pick on the bankers or politicians if you need a rant.
    Cool username ~ Shíte user

joking

charming... do you bully online or in real life too?

edit: sense of humour retrieved....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

charming... do you bully online or in real life too?
    Didn't mean any harm. Just jostling. Friends?

Of course, I forgive and forget surprisingly easy.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

dublinario wrote: »
    Ah, I sent the rugrats down to the shop to get me 40 Johnny Blue. To be honest, I'm starting to get worried about them. I sent them yesterday. Any minute now, queue the drama queen parents: "blah blah blah, my 8 year old child didn't come home from school yesterday, whinge moan whinge."

Am I right in saying yesterday was Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

chosen1 wrote: »
    Figures printed there are about secondary teachers. Secondary school students spend 28 hours in class every week while a teacher on full time hours only works 22. Would be a fair few on less than 22 as well so doing the straight maths like Paddy doesn't work out.

Think the first problem for the OP was picking up the Sunday World, then the second one was opening it up to Paddy Murrays article.
    The last time I had the misfortune to read one of his rants he was on about why he laughed every time someone from England fails in sporting events and in the same article a week before lauding Man Utd. Best advice would be to never to even acknowledge that paper exists.

What paper? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ntlbell wrote: »
    no i mean busy taken half days etc from their own classes to go and watch kids playing ;)

slight difference

No, you're talking about teachers taking school teams to play matches against other school teams, guess what, also coached by their teachers. Who else is going to do it, the parents? Hmmm...
    I was on school football and hurling teams right through school and I saw the time the teachers gave up, usually last class and several hours after school finished, the teachers who took teams organised their timetables so they wouldn't have classes to teach for those last classes and other kids wouldn't miss out.
    And FYI, they do a lot more than watching kids play - driving them, putting up nets and flags, organising jerseys and kit, sourcing hurleys and helmets, driving kids to A&E when they get injured - happened me twice and teachers went a long way past what was required to see I was ok.
    My ex is a teacher in Dublin and coaches the cross-country team in her school, even gives up weekends for big competitions and extra training. She gets no thanks for it but doesn't expect any either.

Conclusion - you haven't a clue what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Zzippy wrote: »
    She gets no thanks for it but doesn't expect any either.

getting 60k 4 months holidays a secure job and a great pension.

no thanks at all.

who do you think manages all the school boy teams in the school boy leagues?

parents.

who trains them outside school hours after work?

parents

who organises matches/ref's/jersey's/nets/balls

parents

they get NO THANKS

teachers, ffs, angels sent from above, i've heard it all now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

no thanks at all.

parents.

parents

parents

they get NO THANKS

NTL Give it a REST! You already made your (incredibly inaccurate, frankly insulting) point on that 1000+ post pi$$ing and moaning thread about teachers thats up in AH atm. Go troll there kthnxbai. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    NTL Give it a REST! You already made your (incredibly inaccurate, frankly insulting) point on that 1000+ post pi$$ing and moaning thread about teachers thats up in AH atm. Go troll there kthnxbai. :rolleyes:

Was there a post quota given out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

no thanks at all.

parents.

parents

parents

they get NO THANKS

What drugs are you on?

Of course the parents should bring THEIR children to training.

Why the **** should teachers do it? Especially if it's not a school team.

Honestly, the way some parents view teachers as babysitters is disgusting.

We're educators, not nannies.

So teachers SHOULD give up their spare time as a rule?

What planet are you on? Would you give up your spare time after work?
    Teachers do it and you're making out that they SHOULD and not crib about it.

Some people.

And by the way, that average salary would apply to someone who has been teaching for 20+ years and holds various posts of responsibility.

Teachers start off on 35k and that rises VERY SLOWLY.

And last point. Why the **** should parents get thanks for doing their responsibilities? They shouldn't have kids if they expect thanks for rasing their children.

Can't believe your post. You're so detached.

kraggy wrote: »
    What drugs are you on?

Of course the parents should bring THEIR children to training.

Why the **** should teachers do it? Especially if it's not a school team.

Honestly, the way some parents view teachers as babysitters is disgusting.

We're educators, not nannies.

So teachers SHOULD give up their spare time as a rule?

What planet are you on? Would you give up your spare time after work?
    Teachers do it and you're making out that they SHOULD and not crib about it.

Some people.

And by the way, that average salary would apply to someone who has been teaching for 20+ years and holds various posts of responsibility.

Teachers start off on 35k and that rises VERY SLOWLY.

read my post again VERY SLOWLY

Yea, it's called talking so much sh1te that you're continually going in non sensical circles. Other posters banging. their. heads. against. the. wall... ow, make it stop make it stop now.

MODS -THERE ARE TOO MANY TEACHER THREADS PLEASE MERGE AND SEND TO POLITICS FORUM. Unless of course they are fed up with this anti teacher misinformed garbage too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Don't.

Feed.

The.

Fucking.

Trolls!

Yea, it's called talking so much sh1te that you're continually going in non sensical circles. Other posters banging. their. head's. against. the. wall... ow, make it stop make it stop now.

MODS -THERE ARE TOO MANY TEACHER THREADS PLEASE MERGE AND SEND TO POLITICS FORUM. Unless of course they are fed up with this anti teacher misinformed garbage too

you do realise there is an ignore feature?

feel free.

you do realise there is an ignore feature?

feel free.

You're on ignore. But you get quoted. There's no escape.

read my post again VERY SLOWLY

Eh, I've read it 3 or four times.

kraggy wrote: »
    Eh, I've read it 3 or four times.

So where did I say teachers should babysit?

where did i mention parents bringing their kids to training?

where did i say teachers should do it?

read it again.

So where did I say teachers should babysit?

where did i mention parents bringing their kids to training?

where did i say teachers should do it?

read it again.

Eh, in the 3rd to 6th lines of your post.

Maybe you should read your own post VERY SLOWLY.

Putting you on ignore as advised by someone else by pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, but now that you mention it, it might be a good idea in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Don't forget about the language support teacher and teh resource teachers and the HSCL officers.

In inner city disadvantaged schools there is a 15:1 cap in Junior/senior infants. I had 11 children last year though (it's a small school). The kids were mostly foreign so I had a Language support teacher in for an hour a day. Four of the kids also went out to a learning support teacher for Reading Recovery.

By that means... there is one teacher per 3.66 children!

Do you understand the idiocy of that article now OP?

no, it doesn't mean that. If the support teachers were only working 1 hour a week then (hopefully) the department isn't paying them to do a full time job, and they weren't counted in the OP's statistics.

It sounds like your school has a pupil:teacher ratio of 8:1 or 9:1 or something. Even LESS than the 16:1 suggested in the OP, and way LESS than the 30:1 the teachers' unions would have you believe.

Whatever about the standard of journalism in the Sunday World, they got this one right. There are a lot of teachers doing very little teaching and no amount of self-entitled ranting in this thread disguises that.

RoundTower wrote: »
    no, it doesn't mean that. If the support teachers were only working 1 hour a week then (hopefully) the department isn't paying them to do a full time job, and they weren't counted in the OP's statistics.

It sounds like your school has a pupil:teacher ratio of 8:1 or 9:1 or something. Even LESS than the 16:1 suggested in the OP, and way LESS than the 30:1 the teachers' unions would have you believe.

Whatever about the standard of journalism in the Sunday World, they got this one right. There are a lot of teachers doing very little teaching and no amount of self-entitled ranting in this thread disguises that.

I'd like you to show me a school that has a 9:1 ratio. No such things exists. Not even DEIS 1 schools have a ratio that low.

The ratios expressed in the media by the teachers unions are accurate. Even the government states that the current ratio is 25:1, being brought up to 27:1 as a result of the cutbacks.

The governments figures are on the generous side. The reality is closer to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Out of all those students quoted in the original post, how many are in school on any given day?
    Holidays, sick, skipping school, dodging class?

This teacher bashing is getting boring.
    With them none of you moaners would be able to type, spell, read, write or have got basic education.

Grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

994 wrote: »
    -
    -

- traveller teachers

Class size =|= pupil teacher ratio. And I wonder how a primary school teacher is supposed to be "on the doss" (that's not even an idiom btw, "doss" is a verb).

please tell me travellers dont get special teachers???just go to school like the rest of us.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

please tell me travellers dont get special teachers???just go to school like the rest of us.....

In some cases they are in 'standard' schools but there are special traveller education centres also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

thats a disgrace they should go to school the same as everyone else.do the teachers travel to visit them on sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It seems AH has designated a new enemy.

Teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i wonder if any teachers drive taxis in thier (copious) spare time?

they'd be popular here

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    Out of all those students quoted in the original post, how many are in school on any given day?
    Holidays, sick, skipping school, dodging class?

This teacher bashing is getting boring.
    With them none of you moaners would be able to type, spell, read, write or have got basic education.

Grow up!

If there's students out sick all the time etc then surely that brings down the ratio even further?

without me da's willy I wouldn't be able to type,spell, rear or write.

What an excellent argument.

Why did we think of this before!

Advertisement