Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basing your whole life around your Boy/Girlfriend

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Everyone knows people like this, who get into a serious relationship, and it takes over their life. They lose contact with their friends, spend nearly every spare minute with their partner, and won't go anywhere without the other.

Personally I think it's ridiculous. Every time I've had a girlfriend, we'd see each other 3, maybe 4 times a week. Other than that, we spend our time with individual friends, individual hobbies etc. It means that when we would meet up, we'd appreciate each others company more, and we'd have something to talk about. If I had to spend all my time with just one person, we'd be sick of each other within a month.

That being said, I've never been 'in love', so maybe I'm not the judge on this.

What do you people think? Is there anything wrong with spending all your time with someone? Do you do it? Would you expect a potential boy/girlfriend to do it? Am I just a cold hearted bastard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

We have a yo-yo friend like this. It gets very tiring!

People need to have a life outside a relationship and not just make that one person their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Eh..Maybe its your the problem,Not the girlfriend

Suppose a gf is a good excuse:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Basing life around OH = Epic Fail.

Relationship over = structure gone.
    No structure = melt down.

There is no support system if you blank friends / the world.

Next question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

What about people that don't have any friends? And so base their lives around their OH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

hunter164 wrote: »
    What about people that don't have any friends? And so base their lives around their OH?
    They're called weirdos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I dont have this problem as I am painfully lonely single.

But I've known people like that and its pretty stupid alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It's really really annoying when this happens. Can never meet up with whoever it is without their other half stuck to them. Can be very awkward if it's just the three of ye and their joined at the hip and crawling all over each other nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I've been with my girlfriend six years and although we get on great if I spent everyday with her I'd go mad!

I think everyone needs their own time, whether it's sport, mates or whatever. I guess the amount of time depends on the person in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

One should have a seperate life that doesn't involve the OH.

Otherwise you'll end up like those old couples that never talk and sit in silence around each other 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I think you have it spot on,OP.
    No one should feel the need to spend all the time with BF or GF, it becomes very boring indeed after the initial excitement wears off.
    Better to see each other 3 or 4 times a week and enjoy your time together,than start to feel your life is not your own.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Blisterman wrote: »

What do you people think?
    Bad Idea

Is there anything wrong with spending all your time with someone?
    Yes, you'll end up on PI looking for advice.

Do you do it?
    No

Would you expect a potential boy/girlfriend to do it?
    No, you need space.

Am I just a cold hearted bastard?
    You might be. But not from your post - you're normal

Why would you want to spend time with anyone else? surely once you've found "the one" noone else matters. Friends are stoopid, they're only a way of keeping you busy til you get a boyfriend, then you can dump their asses**

**wonders where her husband could be at this hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I was always very conscious of this when I met my other half as all my close friends were single at the time. I made sure to go out with them as much as I always did, always rang and texted the same as before. When we were out, I'd talk about the usual stuff and would consciously not talk about OH/our relationship too much. Even on the lead-up to our wedding, I didn't start talking about details til someone asked for fear of boring them.

In the past two years or so, my best friends have met fellas and settled down but all they fecking talk about is their relationships. Happy, blah, blah, romance, blah, boring tripe, blah, want to get engaged, blah.

It's annoying the crap out of me.

00112984 wrote: »
    In the past two years or so, my best friends have met fellas and settled down but all they fecking talk about is their relationships. Happy, blah, blah, romance, blah, boring tripe, blah, want to get engaged, blah.

see, told ya, stoooopid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Abigayle wrote: »
    Relationship over = structure gone.
    No structure = melt down.
    ?

1. Relationship over = structure gone.
    2. No structure = melt down.
    3. ??????????
    4. PROFIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Neesa wrote: »
    1. Relationship over = structure gone.
    2. No structure = melt down.
    3. ??????????
    4. PROFIT

If ye like son.

00112984 wrote: »
    I was always very conscious of this when I met my other half as all my close friends were single at the time. I made sure to go out with them as much as I always did, always rang and texted the same as before. When we were out, I'd talk about the usual stuff and would consciously not talk about OH/our relationship too much. Even on the lead-up to our wedding, I didn't start talking about details til someone asked for fear of boring them.

YYYarrgghhhhhhwwaaa!!!
    These are the type of people who will devote entire evenings, to heated discussion on tile grout cleaning methods in the near future. And then wonder why they are depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

My once-best friend spends too much time with his girlfriend. She's in his class. None of us like her anyway, she's boring and sucks all the life out of get togethers.

I miss having him out with us chasing women, he's gone a bit soft too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jealousy is clearly a massive factor because there are too many ****ing ugly third-wheels who have no other friends.

Go out on your own once in a while, you'll feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

My once-best friend spends too much time with his girlfriend. She's in his class. None of us like her anyway, she's boring and sucks all the life out of get togethers.

I miss having him out with us chasing women, he's gone a bit soft too:(

Not surprisingly..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

It is pathetic, really not a good situation to be subjected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I was with a girl that we would talk every single day. Be it a phone call at night when we got home, or to say goodnight, or at the weekend if we weren't meeting up for whatever reason, but would see her 3 or 4 times a week.

That was great. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We have nights apart all the time. He works in Dublin and his band practises in Dublin so when he's there late, he'll just stay. If I visit my parents in kilkenny without him, I usually stay too. We also spend christmas apart. People do think it's a bit strange though and it has been commented on. I even got one saying "it's not a real relationship" because I'm pushing him to do his month in Canada soon so we can get to saving for our wedding with no regrets, apparently it means I don't love him enough to want him around. :eek:

Relationships where you are together 24/7 turn toxic very quickly.

Granted when we got together first we spent a lot of time together, but that was the honeymoon phase. We got a lot of comments on that too. Really, whatever you do you can't please everybody. If people would just mind their own business, everyone would be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Miss Minnie

:pac: Think I'm on the fence on this one, you can have the best of both??

I actually work with the OH, thats where I met him. I see him everyday and most nights ;)
    Yet we always have stuff to talk about, he is my absolute soulmate and I always miss him when hes not with me.
    That said, we both enjoy time to ourselves and make sure to take it (when else could I watch Dancing on Ice in peace?? :pac::pac:) and I will never give up my best friends, I need female perspectives, especially in my job, its all men!

But all these work in harmony in my life...so I think if you find the right person then you can have both! Yay to great boyfriends! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am 39 weeks pregnant, live with my partner and spend alot of time with him. But tonight he is in his mates house watching the FA Cup and having a can or 2, tomoro he is going over there again to play poker for an hour or 2 and that will be him finished going out for another week. He goes to the gym alot and often I will walk with him, relax away from the gym and walk home with him again.

You cant live in someones ear 24/7 you would go mad, I love having time to myself too, and if heaven forbid I go into labour when hes not here, because I dont annoy him with texts and phonecalls when he is with his friends I know any phonecall I make will be answered immediately.

We spend most evenings together watching tv and most of our days together, but because we both know that everyone wants space we often are in the same house but relaxing in different rooms. He'll play the guitar in the sitting room and I'll relax on the bed with my laptop.

Also even though our baby is due in a week, we splashed out yesterday on 2 tickets to the upcoming boxing match in March for my OH and his friend. As much as I like boxing I am not going because this friend works in fireign countries and only gets a small time at home so I respect that they will no doubt want to relax, just the 2 of them, having a session of a day and I am perfectly happy with that.

No you should not live in your partners pocket, if he told me I could not meet my friends or if I told him he couldnt meet his, there would be war. We all need time to ourselves and sadly when some people go into relationships they can often forget their friends! Sadly there are a few people I know that will not go on a night out without their OH and will not meet up with me and the other girls because they refuse to leave their OH's side for the hour!:rolleyes:

Maybe not 24/7/365 but I spend a lot of time with himself (as I said, I work with him) but we've never come even close to toxic, four years going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

We have nights apart all the time. He works in Dublin and his band practises in Dublin so when he's there late, he'll just stay. If I visit my parents in kilkenny without him, I usually stay too. We also spend christmas apart. People do think it's a bit strange though and it has been commented on. I even got one saying "it's not a real relationship" because I'm pushing him to do his month in Canada soon so we can get to saving for our wedding with no regrets, apparently it means I don't love him enough to want him around. :eek:

Granted when we got together first we spent a lot of time together, but that was the honeymoon phase. We got a lot of comments on that too. Really, whatever you do you can't please everybody. If people would just mind their own business, everyone would be happier.

You sound like a very mature, well adjusted young lady ;)

Good on ya :D

Maybe not 24/7/365 but I spend a lot of time with himself (as I said, I work with him) but we've never come even close to toxic, four years going strong!

It isn't really to do with the amount of time people spend together.
    There are a signifigant number of people, mostly women. Who abandon their own lives, friends and interests etc. When they are in relationships.
    That sux.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

If you spend all your time with your other half, what the hell do you talk about??

Boring as hell imo..

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It isn't really to do with the amount of time people spend together.
    There are a signifigant number of people, mostly women. Who abandon their own lives, friends and interests etc. When they are in relationships.
    That sux.

Agreed, I suppose I was just trying to say that we do spend a lot of time and we don't let our lives outside of our relationship suffer. But I have known people who do lose everything that defines them as an individual and that def sux! I think its important to keep that person alive and kicking, isn't that the person the OH fell for in the first place! :)

Advertisement