Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Diagnosis Charges?!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

This is why I build my own pieces of crap from other pieces of crap.

I'm expecting a new motherboard tomorrow with some new fangled intel chip. Apparently it was built for multimedia use.

A couple of GBs of compatible RAM and I'm ready to go. I have spares for everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Dual Boot ftw!

What the hell is the point in having a dual boot with XP & Vista?
    Maybe for Linux and Windows, but two versions of Windows.... that confuses me. The only time I'd say it would be useful is if you were doing some programming and wanted to test under each environment. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dord wrote: »
    What the hell is the point in having a dual boot with XP & Vista?
    Maybe for Linux and Windows, but two versions of Windows.... that confuses me. The only time I'd say it would be useful is if you were doing some programming and wanted to test under each environment. :confused:
    I'm dual booting xp and 7, just because I wasn't really comfortable using a beta os as my only os on this pc. Saying that I've only used xp since installing windows 7 on this and that was to test a hard drive that wasn't working in windows 7. Turns out that hard drive is fooked. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

towel401 wrote: »
    dell is kindof a sour subject in here..

So true...

Dells not what it used to be. They were successful because they cut out the middle man, now they supply computers that are quite comparable to what you get in the shop or on the internet. Am I right in saying that dell computers can only be upgraded with dell parts?

I don't like dell very much. I rather buy my pc on the internet, or any componants I need. Oh aldi have great PC's too for good prices.

Dord, some games will play better on Vista due to DX10.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Am I right in saying that dell computers can only be upgraded with dell parts?

This used to be the case but isn't any more I believe. Ram, hard drive, cpus graphics card, optical drives are all standard. PSUs and motherboards might still be proprietary though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Am I right in saying that dell computers can only be upgraded with dell parts?

I found that in a lot of cases I was asked to help out in. The machines had to go only back to Dell for dell parts and they had the ability to charge what the heck they liked too. Watch out for their specific made hard-drives.

I personally from many years experience, wouldn't touch Dells with a barge pole.
    (I had even to testify against them once for a client. The client won their case! They had an issue with Dell support who gave them that much bullcrap and hassle, the client was awarded 15,000 in damages.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm dual booting xp and 7, just because I wasn't really comfortable using a beta os as my only os on this pc. Saying that I've only used xp since installing windows 7 on this and that was to test a hard drive that wasn't working in windows 7. Turns out that hard drive is fooked. :(

Ok, yeah I can see that being useful. But XP and Vista together, meh...

I was tempted to try out 7 but I can't be arsed, I'm a lazy baxtard. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

julep wrote: »
    Indeed.
    I've found the tech forums invaluable over the years.
    I've been helped out plenty of times and it didn't cost me a cent. We can say cent now, right? It's not really an americanism if our currency includes cents.

**** vista. It's a horrible OS. I've read reviews of windows 7 and they say that it's pretty much the same as vista.

XP is the best thing microsoft ever did.

I'd rate 7 above XP TBH at least so far. They could still arse it up somehow.

I'd rate Vista below XP but I have it and it isn't worth getting rid of since it still does work. It just uses too many resources. Not too much of a problem for me since I have a gaming laptop.

7 has a cleaned up interface, everything works fast and it uses less resource than Vista. Win/Win.

Ubuntu is great but Windows 7 will put the interface ahead of Ubuntu again IMO. Its just nicer to use. I still like Ubuntu but at the end of the day, I wouldn't pay for it.

Dord wrote: »
    Ok, yeah I can see that being useful. But XP and Vista together, meh...

I was tempted to try out 7 but I can't be arsed, I'm a lazy baxtard. :pac:
    It's very good (it had better stay good) and a piece of piss to install. Only took me 30 minutes or so to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No it doesn't.

It asks you once.

Plus Vista is actually far more reliable and secure than XP, its the reason why Windows 7 is more like it and nothing like XP.
    You can turn that prompt off in the user account managment section in control panel.

Yep. Don't mind Vista, have it 6 months and no bothers, yet!

Microsoft will probably be ending free support for XP this year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Yep. Don't mind Vista, have it 6 months and no bothers, yet!

Microsoft will probably be ending free support for XP this year.

Microsoft promises to support Windows XP until 2014
    It may finally be starting to move down the availability ladder with computer manufacturers (netbooks and the like aside), but it looks like Microsoft is going to be standing by Windows XP for a good while yet, with it now pledging to support the tried and true OS through 2014.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/24/microsoft-promises-to-support-windows-xp-until-2014/
    it will be supported by Microsoft through April 2014.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/99389/microsoft-will-not-extend-xp-lifecycle-again-heres-whats-really-happening.html

Fingers crossed they stick by this promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Dell smells.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Biggins wrote: »

Thought that might happen with XP being on netbooks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

god be with the days when format c: made all the bad things go away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

They gave me limited help one time, And then explained that further advice would cost, I hung up, Another time they tried to charge me for the recovery CD's to be sent out, As i never got any with my PC, Had a word with a mate that works for Dell, He sorted it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Naos wrote: »
    No no Biggins, I'm on Vista at the moment. My laptop is around four months old.
    XP is a die hard op system just like Windows 98 and will be years before it disappears. switching over to vista is like switching from 98 to Millennium, ie a rubbish operating system. You need at least 4 gigs of ram to make Vista run properly.

XP is a die hard op system just like Windows 98 and will be years before it disappears. switching over to vista is like switching from 98 to Millennium, ie a rubbish operating system. You need at least 4 gigs of ram to make Vista run properly.
    It seems to have no problems running with 2GBs on my sister's laptop. Also a few people in the laptop forum have it running on netbooks with out many (if any) complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Apple Mac FTW !!!! :D

Well that's a load of crap right there... I have 2 gigs of ram and I have vista, everything works, I play the latest games and things load instantly. You're talking through your arse as per usual...

If you have a problem with Vista, you didn't update it. Get Service Pack 1.

My PC is 18 months old too :)

If you get out of your ignorant frame of mind, you will see that Vista is in fact better. I didn't like it at first.

swingking wrote: »
    Apple Mac FTW !!!! :D

If you're gonna buy one of those yokes, you may as well save your money and get a v-tech computer. A fraction of the price and a billion times more useful.

*runs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

What are you talking about? I run vista perfectly on a (dell) laptop with 2GB.

What are you talking about? I run vista perfectly on a (dell) laptop with 2GB.

2 Gigs would be the bare minimum for Vista, try running demanding stuff like some games etc. Of course Dell would flog you a machine with 2 gigs of ram and then expect you to upgrade. :rolleyes:

Well that's a load of crap right there... I have 2 gigs of ram and I have vista, everything works, I play the latest games and things load instantly. You're talking through your arse as per usual...

If you have a problem with Vista, you didn't update it. Get Service Pack 1.

My PC is 18 months old too :)

If you get out of your ignorant frame of mind, you will see that Vista is in fact better. I didn't like it at first.

Watch it.
    2 Gigs would be the bare minimum for Vista, try running demanding stuff like some games etc.

From xaviar's post above.
    I have 2 gigs of ram and I have vista, everything works, I play the latest games and things load instantly.

Watch it.

From xaviar's post above.
    Wait until his machine is fully loaded, it will struggle. :D

Wait until his machine is fully loaded, it will struggle. :D

What are you talking about? Fully loaded, with what? Doing what? It runs very very smoothly. I have service pack one, I play the latest games, I have no problems alt tabbing from games or programs that are not windowed. I have two gigs of ram. I run multiple programs at the same time. Have you got a pc with vista and 2 gigs of ram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

2 Gigs would be the bare minimum for Vista, try running demanding stuff like some games etc. Of course Dell would flog you a machine with 2 gigs of ram and then expect you to upgrade. :rolleyes:

It came with XP and I switched to Vista. I play games all the time. You don't know what you're talking about.:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Fully loaded, with what? Doing what? It runs very very smoothly. I have service pack one, I play the latest games, I have no problems alt tabbing from games or programs that are not windowed. I have two gigs of ram. I run multiple programs at the same time. Have you got a pc with vista and 2 gigs of ram?
    I got rid of Vista from my laptop because it was rubbish, had hassle with drivers, had to up date everything, some stuff wouldnt work, I was glad to pick up a registered copy of XP and install it, I have 3 machines all on XP and they will stay that way. I would soonerr get a MAC than use Vista :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I would sooner get a MAC than use Vista :)

Let's not get hasty....

Let's not get hasty....
    My brother already has, :)

• Advertisement

I have 4 Pc's, two with XP one with Vista and one with Vista SP1, I can honestly say that vista SP1 is the best OS I have used.

Run_to_the_hills, if your ram is rubbish then it won't work that well. It uses more resources than XP, but it doesn't need 4 gigs of ram. Nothing does that is on the market.

I have never used a mac, I cannot comment on it.

Explain to me what you mean by "fully loaded" you mean a lot of programs, full HD? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Advertisement