Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rugby- A step forward or a step backward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

There shouldn't be straight-only Rugby or gay-only Rugby. There should be just Rugby, a game where any male of any sexuality can play.

If people are so scared of having a gay person playing sports, don't go to Norway. The players on Norway's handball (Yes, LOL) team are fine that they have a gay guy on their team. Most of the public agree with it. That's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Ckal wrote: »
    There shouldn't be straight-only Rugby or gay-only Rugby. There should be just Rugby, a game where any male of any sexuality can play.

QFT

+1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ckal wrote:

+1 again, in an ideal world.

DubArk wrote: »
    When did you last check?? Did you go forward in a time machine, what was it like?? Is Biffo and the lads still running the county down the shi**er?

A wee example for you:

Ireland does not currently allow access to civil marriage for its gay and lesbian citizens.
    The Civil Partnerships Bill (2008) was presented to the Cabinet on 24th June 2008.
    It is expected to complete the parliamentary process by mid 2009 at the latest.
    No one is sure what date this will happen!?

One major criticism states that the legislation effectively enshrines discrimination in law insofar as separate contractual arrangements with greater privileges will continue to exist for opposite-sex marriages concurrent to lesser arrangements for those wishing to take out Civil Partnerships.:(

Perfectly reasonable answer!

Now can we get back on topic as this has been flogged to death on other threads please? :)

Gay Marriage is not covered under human rights, it should be - especially as the legal definition of marriage is discriminative.

I still disagree on the need for a 'gay friendly' rugby club. Your average rugby club should suffice for anyone who loves rugby & wants to play. :D

+1 on the back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im not sure about the whole gay rugby thing.

I imagine getting my balls reefed clean off me in the tacke is a possibility, or that in the ruck you feel this "batton" rubbing off arse would unsettle me somewhat

Awaits Kazobels response.....

As for the black rugby team, i think its a great idea.

It would be magical to see their first visit to play the connemara All Blacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ar they supposed to be in a scrum for the entire game?

People are mixing perves with gay men.

I doubt gay men will play Rugby just to grope some random guy. :P They would obviously be good at the game if they have been selected for a team. There are lots of gay men (and women) who are interested in sports, but cannot play because straight men are convinced they'll be groped. In this case, it becomes clear that most straight sportsmen are extremely vain.

I'm sure straight guys wouldn't have a problem watching lesbians playing rugby, but for some reason gay sportsmen are an abomination to society.

I'm an extremely liberal straight boy :P and I think that every single person on this planet should all have the same rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ven0m wrote: »
    I still disagree on the need for a 'gay friendly' rugby club. Your average rugby club should suffice for anyone who loves rugby & wants to play. :D

Yes it should but it clearly doesn't if some people feel the need to make another rugby club where they will feel included.

javaboy wrote: »
    Yes it should but it clearly doesn't if some people feel the need to make another rugby club where they will feel included.

Then they should raise it with the equality commission, instead of allowing it to continue & being part of the problem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I would just like to add that if there was a lesbian only rugby team, playing against other lesbians, in the mud, getting all mucky and dirty...I might actually watch it in the first place.

Carryon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's an openly gay guy on our Rugby team, and he's accepted equally as a member, same as everyone else. It's not an issue. He even brought his boyfriend on tour with us (cleverly getting around the "no wives or girlfriends on tour" rule).
    However, apparently the last team he was a member of, shunned him, when he came out of the closet. Which goes to show that there's still a fair amount of small minded people out there, so I can see why there'd be a need for "Gay friendly" teams. Although, hopefully in the future, there won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Essentially, once you're not a white, christian, heterosexual male, you can have all the silly clubs you want.

The Jews have the Jewish Olympics. I mean, if we had an olympics for everyone except the Jews, for the sole reason that they went ahead and set up there own one without inviting us, people would draw parallels between that and the 3rd Reich.

Down with this two-tier system of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hmm, there seem to be a lot of posters using their special White Hetero Persecution Eyefilters again, so I think this post needs to be highlighted again:
    Hrududu wrote: »
    There are straight players on the team. I don't think "gay friendly" means what you think it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

in my opinion as long as there is more than one of anything there will always be racism, sexism and all the rest of it. so an all gay rugby team is absolutely ridiculous in my view, does that mean straight guys cant play on the team.i just think its absolutely ridiculous to segregate something like sport or music that apparently is designed and prides itself on bringing people together. whats next a gay/black government that just takes its votes from gay/black people. sorry if i'm repeating other stuff people said i haven't reas all the posts.

Hmm, there seem to be a lot of posters using their special White Hetero Persecution Eyefilters again, so I think this post needs to be highlighted again:

There are straight players on the team. I don't think "gay friendly" means what you think it means.
    Iang87 wrote: »
    does that mean straight guys cant play on the team.... sorry if i'm repeating other stuff people said i haven't reas all the posts.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Its a good thing, shows people aren't ashamed of being gay.

I think it would be very difficult for an openly gay guy to share a changing room with other guys, so lets rugby players take part and not have to worry about getting stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

last time I checked, Ireland was a free democratic state that has fully integrated the human rights acts of Europe into our national legal framework, and that has created the appropriate commissions & bodies to investigate, & if needs be punish those who breech those legal frameworks.

If 'gay people' feel they are being discriminated against at Rugby clubs, or the social events at it aren't inclusive, raise it at the board level of the club, who are duty bound (not to mention legally obliged) to take all levels of appropriate action, and to ensure all aspects of their organisation are inclusive, & conform to the equality acts.

or is it that people who create 'friendly' organisations have something to hide & there's another agenda to their inception, where they feel they can engage in polarising discrimination without engaging frameworks there to protect them & remove the needs to create such 'friendly' organisations.

Perfectly reasonable questions & statements.
    Ms Janet Garrisson still can't have an abortion here.*

People are mixing perves with gay men.

I doubt gay men will play Rugby just to grope some random guy. :P They would obviously be good at the game if they have been selected for a team. There are lots of gay men (and women) who are interested in sports, but cannot play because straight men are convinced they'll be groped. In this case, it becomes clear that most straight sportsmen are extremely vain.

I'm sure straight guys wouldn't have a problem watching lesbians playing rugby, but for some reason gay sportsmen are an abomination to society.

I'm an extremely liberal straight boy :P and I think that every single person on this planet should all have the same rights.
    Hold your horses there, buddy.
    If I was ever to play rugby with a bunch of women, i'd cop a feel.
    Nothing perverted about groping a woman in the middle of a huddle or whatever the rugby term is for when they all grope each other.

obl wrote: »
    Essentially, once you're not a white, christian, heterosexual male, you can have all the silly clubs you want.

The Jews have the Jewish Olympics. I mean, if we had an olympics for everyone except the Jews, for the sole reason that they went ahead and set up there own one without inviting us, people would draw parallels between that and the 3rd Reich.

Down with this two-tier system of discrimination.

I'm going to need a link to prove there is actually a Jewlympics.
    I want to know if basketball is played.

*Not an invitation to open a debate on abortion. Take that one to Humanities.

Terry wrote: »
    Hold your horses there, buddy.
    If I was ever to play rugby with a bunch of women, i'd cop a feel.
    Nothing perverted about groping a woman in the middle of a huddle or whatever the rugby term is for when they all grope each other.

I don't know what game you've been following.

When in a scrum, you may accidentally touch an area of the body that's uncomfortable, but that can't be avoided because you are in a scrum. You don't intentionally stick your hand up their shorts and have a feel. That is pervy and borderline assault.

If gay men want to feel another guy up, they go to a gay bar or have a few mates over. They don't intentionally play rugby to cup a guys balls.

Then they should raise it with the equality commission, instead of allowing it to continue & being part of the problem. :D

But that's just it, there is no equality issue. People aren't complaining that the existing rugby clubs are illegally discriminating. It's just natural that the social side of a mostly straight team will be geared towards straight men.

Nobody's saying they're breaking the law and going to the equality commission would be overkill. It's just that the one gay guy in a squad of 30 will feel like a sap expecting the other lads to hit the George now and then.

Think of it like an Irish bar in Spain. Are they discriminatory? No. Are they racist or exclusive? No. It's just a convenient place an English guy on holidays can go where he's more likely to meet up with other English guys and where the music, bar food, television etc. are more likely to be to his liking.

No I didn't mean to say English bar btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So wait are they letting straight guys on the team?

:p (Waits for someone to operate the defibrillator on Jill)

Ah at the end of the day it'd be nice if they didnt have to say this but the sad thing is they do. It be bigger news if they were gay only or gay unfriendly tbh.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So wait are they letting straight guys on the team?

:p (Waits for someone to operate the defibrillator on Jill)

If you listen very, very closely you can actually hear the brain haemorrhage happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

White people can win MOBOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

pff, of course its gay-friendly and not gay-only. Look at the celtic warriors win record, they need some heterosexual rugby lads!

(Am just teasing - but still, fairly poor win record :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

The equality commission just got flushed down the toilet too today!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It aint about the stepping, tis about the thrusting.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ah at the end of the day it'd be nice if they didnt have to say this but the sad thing is they do. It be bigger news if they were gay only or gay unfriendly tbh.

Yeah it's unfortunate that a club would feel the need to promote themselves as a gay friendly club but I don't think the marginalisation of gay people people in rugby is necessarily discrimination. It's just natural that if most of the players are straight, that the social scene surrounding the club will cater more for straight guys.

They're probably out half the time looking to score wimmins so it's inevitable that any gay players will feel a tiny bit left out. Hopefully there will be a knock on effect on other clubs to try harder to integrate gay players better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Are their teams out there just for white people?

South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

f1dan wrote: »
    South Africa

I think they have to have a minimum amount of black players on they’re team even if all the 15 best players are white. So South Africa is probably the worst one to pick for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know what game you've been following.

When in a scrum, you may accidentally touch an area of the body that's uncomfortable, but that can't be avoided because you are in a scrum. You don't intentionally stick your hand up their shorts and have a feel. That is pervy and borderline assault.

If gay men want to feel another guy up, they go to a gay bar or have a few mates over. They don't intentionally play rugby to cup a guys balls.
    Nah. They're feeling each other up on the pitch. I know they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Personally I think it’s a bad idea. I don’t like the fact that people feel the need to join a particular sports club because of their sexual orientation. The fact is that the best gay players will play for the better clubs anyway, if they are good enough and will not choose this club because it says it is gay friendly. It is a sport and sexual orientation should not come into it. I know a number of gay women who play rugby they don’t play for a gay club and it’s not an issue that they are openly gay. Why should it be in the men’s game? What my team-mate / opposition dose sexually off the pitch is of no concern to me as long as he acts appropriately towards me.

Advertisement