Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung NC10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Yep 2gb is the max....

Its tonnes for XP though- and really really nippy!
    Do uninstall loads of crapware off it though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Great thanks. Ordered one last night from Elara and bought the 2gb sodimm that was recommended earlier. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

DBK wrote:
    Great thanks. Ordered one last night from Elara and bought the 2gb sodimm that was recommended earlier. cheers.
    You won' regret it. On my second full cycle today with mine and I got a total of 5.5 hours (that's including my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on, general internet usage, some torrents as well as copying 45GB's worth of music onto it from a USB powered HD Passport).

Roll on the fully conditioned battery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My one, which I'm posting from now, zips along with 1gb ram, dont see any need at all to bring it up to 2gb for what I do. Its surprisingly zippy. Was playing with a mates eeeeeee thing earlier and it was a tortoise compared to my greyhound chomping at the bit in comparison..though i told him it was nice :D
    Now if I could figure out how to make the intel graphics driver remember my widescreen lcd settings everytime I plug it in that would be fantastic.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

machalla wrote: »
    I picked up one of these

http://www.techair.co.uk/store/productdetails.asp?ProductId=233

in PC World (Liffey Valley) the other day for €25. Its a great little laptop bag for my EEE1000h. Lots of pouches. Bigger than a sleeve of course but gives proper protection from falls as well as plenty of space for extras )power supply, spare battery, dvd drive, books, mp3 player, phone).

That's a nice looking bag, I like the extra compartments too, think a trip to PC World tomorrow might be in order :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its tonnes for XP though- and really really nippy!
    Do uninstall loads of crapware off it though.....

I.M.O there isn't much crapware on it...

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I.M.O there isn't much crapware on it...
    I've a bridge you might be interested in..
    But the bloatware stuff is easily uninstalled, and in no way detracts from this nice little bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Supercell wrote: »
    My one, which I'm posting from now, zips along with 1gb ram, dont see any need at all to bring it up to 2gb for what I do. Its surprisingly zippy. Was playing with a mates eeeeeee thing earlier and it was a tortoise compared to my greyhound chomping at the bit in comparison..though i told him it was nice :D
    Now if I could figure out how to make the intel graphics driver remember my widescreen lcd settings everytime I plug it in that would be fantastic.

Weird since they are both exactly the same processor.. Unless theres a load of crap installed on the Eee slowing it down. Still I do like the look of the Samsungs (tempting) but I prefer the Eees wireless N support. 2gb really does help to boost the speed of these machines I feel but thats probably just the stuff I run on it.

Weird since they are both exactly the same processor.. Unless theres a load of crap installed on the Eee slowing it down. Still I do like the look of the Samsungs (tempting) but I prefer the Eees wireless N support. 2gb really does help to boost the speed of these machines I feel but thats probably just the stuff I run on it.

Its less than £20 to add wireless N to the Samsung (but you do void your warranty). I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320323410893

Should be pretty easy to install it when it arrives.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

ongarite wrote: »
    OK thats weird. Is it like the one in the eBay link. Single pocket at the front?

Yep, One big pocket in the front with a zip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've a bridge you might be interested in..
    But the bloatware stuff is easily uninstalled, and in no way detracts from this nice little bit of kit.

Aimed at me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Is there no wireless on this comp?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

agentgreen wrote: »
    Is there no wireless on this comp?
    It comes with wireless g.

Sorry whats that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry whats that?
    It's a type of wireless standard. It's the one most commonly used at the moment.

And is there need to upgrade it?

And is there need to upgrade it?
    Not really. Wireless N (a different standard to G) gives you faster speeds and you can use it farther away from the router. It requires a wireless N router as well though. So for most people no you won't.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its less than £20 to add wireless N to the Samsung (but you do void your warranty). I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320323410893

Should be pretty easy to install it when it arrives.

S.

Do you need to get an extra aerial to use with that? I was reading on sammynetbook.com a post where a guy shows this update and he installed an extra aerial. Not sure if it was for extra range or it was needed to make the "n" part work?

Do you need to get an extra aerial to use with that? I was reading on sammynetbook.com a post where a guy shows this update and he installed an extra aerial. Not sure if it was for extra range or it was needed to make the "n" part work?

I have a tripple antenna on my router- which I've already upgraded with replacement elements that I got from France. I can't test N on it- as all my N gear is stationary at present- but G range is well over 600-700 feet (I would expect this to increase significantly with N).

I've got dual laptop antenna that I can install (they go around the LCD panel), I've already tested my installation skills on a dead Dell laptop- you'd never know I'd opened it up at all.......

Aoife might kill me if she finds out that I plan on modding her little Samsung, but its all in the name of progress......... :)

Lol, let us know how you get on, am sorely tempted to do the same myself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I picked up one of these

http://www.techair.co.uk/store/productdetails.asp?ProductId=233

in PC World (Liffey Valley) the other day for €25. Its a great little laptop bag for my EEE1000h. Lots of pouches. Bigger than a sleeve of course but gives proper protection from falls as well as plenty of space for extras )power supply, spare battery, dvd drive, books, mp3 player, phone).

thanks for this, grabbed one myself there yesterday, its perfect.

Right, I canne take it anymore....

To do:-

1) Buy bag -to do
    2) Buy 2gb ram -ordered
    3) Install Vista Ultimate - downloading from MSDN right now
    4) Install Intel 5300 Wireless N mini Pci card -ordered

I'm such a sucker for this stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Install vista ultimate = bye bye to nice zippy netbook, hello sloth

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

QFT..

3) Install Vista Ultimate - downloading from MSDN right now

I would seriously advise against this......
    Apart from anything else- you don't have a discrete graphics card 10.1 compliant- so you won't be able to display the aero interface (thats totally ignoring how performance, both speed, but also battery life, will be destroyed if you install Vista Ultimate......

If you'd like to dual boot with something interesting- how about the latest Ubuntu distro. Its good fun- and has thousands of possible add-ons. Its also free.....

QFT..

Are you guys speaking from experience?

I have Vista on an (admittedly full-sized but low spec) laptop and it is a much smoother OS than XP. Lots of people have installed Vista on their NC10 and it runs great.

So many people bash Vista but haven't actually tried it, its a much better OS than XP (at least since SP1 on Vista).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

My experience is from running vista on an old pentium m lattitude & a new celeron 1.6ghz (which if the asus 900 ran an 800mhz celeron and kept pace with an atom should be approx twice as fast as the atom).

This was pre-service pack 1 though, so maybe there werehave been huge improvements.

quarryman wrote: »
    Are you guys speaking from experience?

I have Vista on an (admittedly full-sized but low spec) laptop and it is a much smoother OS than XP. Lots of people have installed Vista on their NC10 and it runs great.

So many people bash Vista but haven't actually tried it, its a much better OS than XP (at least since SP1 on Vista).

I use XP, Ubuntu and Vista Home Premium (on Dell Inspiron 6400s with discrete graphic cards, and maxed up on RAM).

Boot time varies, but is normally about 15 seconds longer for Vista than XP (from initially turning on the laptop to fully loaded desktop of 56 sec versus 41 for XP. In its defense Ubuntu takes about 1 min 12sec. Application launch is faster on XP- but what really kills Vista for me are the constant annoying popups asking me to I really want to do things, and the onerous security settings that are a bitch to play around with. XP might be a bit more buggy- and inherently less secure- but please, I'd love to strangle who ever decided to lock down Vista like that......

I love playing with some of the 'glass' interfaces for Ubuntu and customising the install (I've different versions on my main laptop- the Mac OS one is fun). Driver support used to be a problem, but even the generic drivers are pretty good out of the box now- and the ability to mount any sort of volumes at all, is a big plus.

Different strokes for different folks?

When Vista first came out I hated it and went back to XP. Then after SP1 was released I decided to give another try, I won't ever be going to XP now.

• Advertisement

Will report back once installed. I'll be using the readyboost feature of Vista, plus the extra memory should help too. Though i expect it to be a pig until the memory is upgraded..updates later today!

Advertisement