Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you keep your bike overnight?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

The thread on vandalism has just made me think (as i'm getting my first bike in new year) - where do people store their bikes overnight?

What are pros/cons of where you park? (e.g. garage is more secure and dry but takes longer to get bike in and out, roadside is handy for ease of use but not good for protection of bike)

Where do you store your bike? 50 votes

Garaged/indoors
    0% 0 votes
    Driveway
    52% 26 votes
    Roadside
    40% 20 votes
    Other???
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Drive way for me, but if i had a choice i would put it in a garage, i would not mind getting up 5 mins earlier to get the bike out.

My bike is locked to a ground anchor underneath the sitting room window with my cage back up to it.

This helps in 2 ways, 1 somoeone walking by would not know there is a bike there when the cage is reversed up against it and 2 they would have to move the car to get o the bike and both are alarmed

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Mine's more of an open garage, but better then the traditional driveway. Blocked in most nights by flatmates car.

Will definitely sort a land anchor whenever I get my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have mine at the side of the house in front of the side passageway. Locked to a ground anchor with the bins in front of it and the cage in front of the bins!

Can barely see the bike when the cover goes on. Plus to get it out you would need to move the cage, move the bins, break the lock and get the bike out. And if you can do that without the dogs hearing you would need to be a magician :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Bike locked in shed.
    2 locks on shed door and 1 lock on side gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Drive way for me, but if i had a choice i would put it in a garage, i would not mind getting up 5 mins earlier to get the bike out.

My bike is locked to a ground anchor underneath the sitting room window with my cage back up to it.

This helps in 2 ways, 1 somoeone walking by would not know there is a bike there when the cage is reversed up against it and 2 they would have to move the car to get o the bike and both are alarmed
    You'll be grand anyway G! You live in one of the safest areas in Dublin!

• Advertisement

I voted "Other" because I park my bike in our "covered public car park". It is accessible and visible to anyone who has the remote for the electric gates. So we call it "the garage" but for insurance purposes it is classed as "driveway".

So far so good after a year living there... No ground anchor unfortuantely as the property management company wouldn't allow it so I chain my bikes to my girlfriend's bike. It will have to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

In the driveway, under a cover, but basically in full view. No ground anchor though I wrap the chain around the gas pipe so if someone robs the bike, they'll probably blow me up in the process... hopefully along with themselves. Anyhow, thankfully, never had an issue with any bike left like that (in ten years).

art wrote: »
    In the driveway, under a cover, but basically in full view. No ground anchor though I wrap the chain around the gas pipe so if someone robs the bike, they'll probably blow me up in the process... hopefully along with themselves. Anyhow, thankfully, never had an issue with any bike left like that (in ten years).
    Must live in a very safe spot then! :)

Mines in the driveway. Covered at night, with a disc lock and a big ass chain with a ground anchor. I live in a quiet area,never had any trouble but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

what's a ground anchor? and is it the sort of thing the landlord might object to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A mate of mine keeps his CCM in the middle of the kitchen in his shared house. No one else seems to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tree wrote: »
    what's a ground anchor? and is it the sort of thing the landlord might object to?

Its used for locking the bike to the ground ... see here:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/searchResults.aspx?style=0&kw=anchor

Plenty to choose from.

You'll be grand anyway G! You live in one of the safest areas in Dublin!

:D:D:D Are you taking the Pi$$...........:P

:D:D:D Are you taking the Pi$$...........:P
    No I'm not! You and I both live in the safest areas of this fair city!

Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Must live in a very safe spot then! :)

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought so, what being in "Dublin 8" and having both neighbours see cars robbed in the last few years but there you go, maybe I look more intimidating than I feel, ... or something* :)

(* e.g. bike looks ****???)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

driveway for me,well sort of!! i'm in a row of terraced townhouses with parking spaces marked out the front. i have a ground anchor mounted on the edge of the path and i put a brake disc on her too. i also cover it as when the neighbours cars are all out it's left pretty exposed(keeps the rain off too:p)

get as chunky a chain as you can. i had a 50 nicked from outside the house in january. the chain wasn't the best and they just cut it. i'd no brake disc on her either. bike was only 5 yards from the front window and i never heard the bastards taking it:mad:

No I'm not! You and I both live in the safest areas of this fair city!

Not!

Thought as much........:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As from 2 weeks ago I'm the proud owner of a garage :D

My elephant of cruiser is not easy to manoeuvre so being able to drive in and out really makes the difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Underground Car Park. I just moved house a few weeks ago to a new apartment block. I refused to look at any place that did not have covered secure parking for my bike. I don't want it out in the elements - its a Ducati it would not like it. Plus I cannot be bothered with covers and locks etc. I now have it in a secure gated underground carpark - perfect!

Zascar wrote: »
    Underground Car Park. I just moved house a few weeks ago to a new apartment block. I refused to look at any place that did not have covered secure parking for my bike. I don't want it out in the elements - its a Ducati it would not like it. Plus I cannot be bothered with covers and locks etc. I now have it in a secure gated underground carpark - perfect!
    I'd still lock it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I have my little divil locked and under cover in the back garden right around the back of the house, just lucky I can get it in the side gate I suppose..

Have a shed but the door isn't wide enough, think it's safe enough though, the thieving scumbags would want to be well out of their way to discover it:rolleyes:

Howaya Steff, been on any rideouts lately?Last one we were on together was Clogherhead I think, lovely day, roll on next June:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

JCDUB wrote: »
    Clogherhead I think, lovely day, roll on next June:eek:

Summer rideouts are for little girls and newbies :rolleyes: . You want to get yourself out on a nice winter morning. Some of the IBF and Biker.ie lads go on some great rideouts this time of the year.

Howaya Steff, been on any rideouts lately?Last one we were on together was Clogherhead I think, lovely day, roll on next June:eek:
    Howaya JCDUB! ;)

Haven't been on any Biker.ie ride-outs recently but I did go for a mad spin with some mates 2 week-ends ago! Went to Laragh/Wicklow Moutains and did that "Roller Coaster" road and it's savage! Love getting both wheels off the ground on the 'blade! Makes you sh!t yourself and you feel alive (if you don't end up killing yourself that is!). :p

KTRIC wrote: »
    Summer rideouts are for little girls and newbies :rolleyes: . You want to get yourself out on a nice winter morning. Some of the IBF and Biker.ie lads go on some great rideouts this time of the year.
    Agreed! Might do a winter ride-out with the lads in the coming weeks actually. Mighty fun so it is!

KTRIC wrote: »

I am a newbie, and nearly a little girl:D

Nah gotta get out on a few more, haven't been out in weeks, workin n stuff ya know..
    I'll be keepin my eyes on biker.ie for one of your "hard-men and big boys only" rideouts, keep me posted;)

Howaya JCDUB! ;)

Haven't been on any Biker.ie ride-outs recently but I did go for a mad spin with some mates 2 week-ends ago! Went to Laragh/Wicklow Moutains and did that "Roller Coaster" road and it's savage! Love getting both wheels off the ground on the 'blade! Makes you sh!t yourself and you feel alive (if you don't end up killing yourself that is!). :p

Yeah that road over the gap is sh1t-your-pants stuff:eek:

Did it in the drizzle one day, not nice, great fun in the dry though, ya just gotta watch for the sheep, I was nearly having lamb for dinner a few times:D

Hopefully weather might allow us to do something half decent this weekend!

Yeah that road over the gap is sh1t-your-pants stuff:eek:

Did it in the drizzle one day, not nice, great fun in the dry though, ya just gotta watch for the sheep, I was nearly having lamb for dinner a few times:D

Hopefully weather might allow us to do something half decent this weekend!
    I hear you! Got a few slips of the back wheel as last time we went the road were damp and just wouldn't fry for us...

Don't mind sliding the back on the track but on my 'blade on the open road it didn't feel nice at all! :eek:

But these humps (or "jumps" because in fairness that's what they are!) really are savage fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Keep my bike in a barna shed ( I know it's only a wooden shed) but as an added surprise the lock is hooked up to a quick blast 240volt mains deterant. It emits 3.5 seconds of mains power every 2 seconds direct to any scumbag that tries to open d shed without unplugin it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Thought I'd bump this thread for my own ulterior motives.....

I had the bike kept in garage up until a few weeks ago but it's now in a driveway due to changed address-given the weather over the last while I've just been wondering what are the long-term effects of leaving a bike exposed to the elements (i.e. the feckin rain!) are?

I got a cover, but accordin to the instructions yr not meant to put it on if the bike is already wet (condensation and what have you) or while the engine's still hot.

in practise this has meant that I've gotten in and a) the bike's wet or b) it rains before the engine cools off, and my poor bike is left in the pissing rain for the night!

I know it's been particularly bad these last weeks, but just wonderin what the consequences of this situation are gonna be in terms of corrosion, etc?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

So far so good after a year living there... No ground anchor unfortuantely as the property management company wouldn't allow it so I chain my bikes to my girlfriend's bike. It will have to do...

interesting....

i'm in the same boat and i was thinking of putting in a ground anchor myself - the idea of 'permission' had never crossed my mind.....

how long would it take to put in a ground anchor?? the one with the bolts. what sort of drill would i need?? a normal hilti or would i need to go and hire out some big bastard yoke???????

Advertisement