Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you buy in Ireland that is cheaper somewhere else?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Ill start... :)

Pint of beer in pub (UK) £1.38

Pint of beer in pub (Ireland) €4.50

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A better question would be...What can you buy in Ireland that is cheaper than other country's..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Almost everything.

DS Lite with game - €180 (Ire)
    DS Lite with game and accessories - £119 = €142 ish (NI).

Same shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

nike trainers
    ire €100
    indonesia - bowl of rice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Toiletroll wrote: »

At least compare like with like.

I've paid over €12 for a pint in London. You can still buy a pint for €3.50 in some parts of Ireland.

Also you have to remember that the currency conversion is totally in non-Euro countries' favour as both the dollar and the pound have collapsed.

You can't be blaming Irish shops for that. If it was the other way around and the Euro collapsed, it would be much cheaper to buy things here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ds in gamestop with one game 130 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

Nah..beer is cheaper in other places. For example East of Europe can be 0,5, 1,2 eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Pumps from Barratt's (UK): £20 (or ~€23)
    Same pumps from Barratt's (Ireland): €30

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cars can be bought cheaper everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

please stop comparing Ireland with UK, I know they are you neighbors, but, there are others countries in the world. an easy comparison will be to stay in €. when you check this site pixmania.com (selling high tech stuff), you can choose your country, and to be honest, everything is more expensive in Ireland. last time I was able to organise the delivery in spain for my eos 450d, and was so glad to have a really better deal than here...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Cars can be bought cheaper everywhere else.

Apart from Holland. They have their own version of VRT, called BPM.
    Car price in holland = price of car + VRT + VAt = what you pay.

Nice .. tax over tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is this a trick question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

air compressors, lawn mowers and that sort of thing are hugely overpriced here. way, way cheaper in america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Toys, medicine, houses, sex... the list is endless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Albino alligators.

Teeth Warmers for winter coldness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I would have thought pretty much everything bar Aran sweaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

everything... in theory.. I think you need to reword the question to 'is ireland more expensive than everywhere or what is cheaper here?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

deepriver wrote: »
    everything... in theory.. I think you need to reword the question to 'is ireland more expensive than everywhere or what is cheaper here?'

Just Tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Prostuites
    Ireland =€120
    England=£60
    Vegas $50 or $80 for 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm living in the cheapest part of the UK (ni) and I haven't seen any pints go for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Everything really.

Every shop I've been in lately: £10 = €15.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A double buggy.

Euro 350+ cheapest price here

Euro 130 (+30 for carriage) from England. Same buggy and brand name.

Go figure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

paulgreene wrote: »
    please stop comparing Ireland with UK, I know they are you neighbors, but, there are others countries in the world. an easy comparison will be to stay in €. when you check this site pixmania.com (selling high tech stuff), you can choose your country, and to be honest, everything is more expensive in Ireland. last time I was able to organise the delivery in spain for my eos 450d, and was so glad to have a really better deal than here...

I was on a security course recently and the instructor said whenever he bought from an online shop he used a proxy in that country, because some sites, when they see an irish or UK IP address automatically put the cost of the product up. Have tested it on some sites and he is right. Doing it from an irish IP there can be up to 10% of a difference, just when using different IP addresses. And before some smart arse says that it was delivery costs, no, the delivery cost is based on what you type in for the destination, and based on the country you select the delivery cost is added. That does not change on IP, and alot of companies have a standard cost for "Oversees".

syklops wrote: »
    I was on a security course recently and the instructor said whenever he bought from an online shop he used a proxy in that country, because some sites, when they see an irish or UK IP address automatically put the cost of the product up. Have tested it on some sites and he is right. Doing it from an irish IP there can be up to 10% of a difference, just when using different IP addresses. And before some smart arse says that it was delivery costs, no, the delivery cost is based on what you type in for the destination, and based on the country you select the delivery cost is added. That does not change on IP, and alot of companies have a standard cost for "Oversees".

hmm... interesting. I will try this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Litre bottle of Jameson in Italy €18

same bottle here €32

how does that work considering we make it and thats AFTER transport costs to italy....bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You can get Aids for free

where? I hear you ask.

in . . .

..the bum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'm living in the cheapest part of the UK (ni) and I haven't seen any pints go for that price.

The Woolpack, The Rovers, The Vic.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I saw a shop in Dublin sellin' "limited edition" 1 Euro coins for 10 Euro... :D:D:D

Exception to the rule.

Turf for the fire!

Exception to the rule.

Turf for the fire!

... and the fart for the food :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

where is beer £1.38 in england?? was over in stoke only in September and pints were £2.50 in a crappy enough pub.

€4.50 for a pint of guinness in o'reillys next to tara street station on friday night, not bad for dublin but you can get pints for €3.00 in places around the country still

Advertisement