Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays IBood Argosy mobile video 500 GB

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Really one to buy one of these things can anyone tell me, I have a load of itunes mp4 videos, will this play them, they would have been converted from a DVD using iSquint itunes converter.

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Doesn't look like it. And I wouldn't buy the argos if you can afford something better, it's a poor quality device. Try to get your hands on a popcorn hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I got one the last time from Ibood and its fine - I just use it for films (from DVD in .vob format, or converted to mpegs). I'm not sure it will play .mp4s but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

TheBazman wrote: »
    I got one the last time from Ibood and its fine - I just use it for films (from DVD in .vob format, or converted to mpegs). I'm not sure it will play .mp4s but I could be wrong

Hey Bazman, any chance you can try an mp4 for me? Really don't want to buy one of these and realise it doesn't play mp4's.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

I bought one of these from IBood the last time they were on sale.

Excellent piece of equipment but it doesn't play mp4.

The only other fault I can see with it is that it has a really bright blue light on the front of it, even when it's on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Just purchased one for myself.... I've been looking for one of these for a while but I wanted one that I could connect to to my home network but I can do without the NAS cos I think this is a pretty good price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Zab wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. And I wouldn't buy the argos if you can afford something better, it's a poor quality device. Try to get your hands on a popcorn hour.

a poor quality device? I got this exact one before from iBood and afterwards sold it on to a friend who really wanted it and I really regretted it since, so i gladly picked one up today from iBood, i dont see anything wrong with it, why is it poor quality? I have not seen a popcorn hour in action though so maybe in comparison its just not as good or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

great piece of kit for the price

cons
    bit noisy for a hd
    out of 3 i bought 1 has stopped working

pros
    Pretty much plays any file i throw at it expects mp4 :)
    I have other HDs and the god damn filenames - never show the full filename - on this they show up perfect
    Fast load up time 10 -20 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Huh? Bull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I picked up several last year when IBOOD had them on offer.

Output via component is 720P and it'll upscale the video output.
    I use it for all avi (DIVX/XVID) without any problems.

The fan on later models is not noisy.

OP, check what the output settings are available in isquint you may
    have other options. Otherwise look at converting using a free program
    called Super by erightsoft. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    Chances are if you're converting DVDs for watching on an ipod screen
    the size and format would be too small/poor for watching on a large
    TV screen.

Here's another option if you're looking to watch multimedia files on your
    TV. It has no built in storage but will play back video/music/pictures
    from a USB mem key or SD card onto your TV.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15888 and it's only USD 42
    (Handy if you pick up a 16GB USB key).

I picked up several last year when IBOOD had them on offer.

Output via component is 720P and it'll upscale the video output.
    I use it for all avi (DIVX/XVID) without any problems.

The fan on later models is not noisy.

OP, check what the output settings are available in isquint you may
    have other options. Otherwise look at converting using a free program
    called Super by erightsoft. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    Chances are if you're converting DVDs for watching on an ipod screen
    the size and format would be too small/poor for watching on a large
    TV screen.

Here's another option if you're looking to watch multimedia files on your
    TV. It has no built in storage but will play back video/music/pictures
    from a USB mem key or SD card onto your TV.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15888 and it's only USD 42
    (Handy if you pick up a 16GB USB key).

Thanks Gran Hermano, but I've got 100's of movies in MP4 format and there all high quality. I currently load them onto my ipod and use a component cable to output to my tv, but would love to have them on a media player such as the Argosy.

That USB Flash Disk TV looks good but would prefer to have the HD and Player integrated for portability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Heh, controversy!

My reasons for my first post:

- only fair codec/container support (including not supporting the codec OP asked for and not supporting video beyond 720 X 576)
    - noisy fan (seems this isn't the case w/the B model according to above)
    - no network connectivity
    - external power supply (effects portability, more significant with lack of network)
    - bubble button remote
    - poor build quality (subjective I guess and I'm bias as I've had trouble with them)

Personally I'd either go for a 2.5" bus powered drive or something that's more powerful like the popcorn hour. Sub 100 is a good price, but I'd get something else if cost wasn't so much of an issue. I think you'd be hard put to argue that the popcorn hour isn't a better device in every category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I think you'd be hard put to argue that the popcorn hour isn't a better device in every category.

Agreed .. it's also at least twice the price, so (and no offence :D ) not a valid comparison.

Unless you think all mondeo drivers should be driving around in a 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

what power cable comes with this ?

Thanks guys pity about the lack of MP4 compatibility, I found this http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=172821 looks good so far anyone have any views as to weather its any good?

Actually better deal here http://www.mymemory.co.uk/External-Hard-Drives/Dane-Elec/Dane-Elec-So-Speaky-Multimedia-Hard-Drives £89 sterling delivered, works out to about €109.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Avoid that Dane Elec like the plague. Start up is slow to the point of being unworkable. Doesn't display full filenames, tries to preview video files which is mostly next to useless for most purposes, the only useful way to use it is through the file menu.

I have used the Iomega, Freecom, Argosy and the Dane-Elec, the first 3 were fine. The Dane-Elec was rubbish and remained rubbish for the week it lasted before it broke. Perhaps I got a bad one, and others have better experiences. My opinion is to Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

The argosy is the best piece of equipment I ever bought and I've been waiting and waiting for them to come on ibood again. I'm awol for one day and Doh! They are bound to have them out agin before xmas though. Great gift especially if you preload a lot of stuff for family or friends. I've brought mine on holidays to greece as it's small portable and all you need is a scart cable and away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Is Argosy the best kind of media player available (in relation to capacity, formats supported and fan noise)? I've all my dvds ripped to MP4 format (for ipod) - does anyone know if there is a similar player that will play MP4 format or should I get an Argosy and convert all my DVDs to DivX? Also is iBood normally ok for delivery times (Niall W seems to be very annoyed with them in the thread below the Argosy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

certainly not the best have a look here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055412713

popcorn hour is well regarded and ibood sold it recently at ridiculously low price

lots more reading here
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/

Barty wrote: »
    is iBood normally ok for delivery times

the one (valid) complaint everyone used to have about iBood is their delivery times were terrible. however I have bought quite a bit off them, and they do seem to be getting better, although it might be that i just have had a lucky run with them lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

etcetc and Puteq - thanks for the quick responses. I'll check out the other options and keep an eye on iBood - hopefully they'll have some good offers coming upto Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Doesn't Playstation 3 support mp4 or is just about to? Just if you had one or are still thinking of buying an mp4 media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I ordered one of these, great value for the price imo
    However got this today, looks like ibood are back to the long delivery times again:mad:

" Dear iBOODian,

On the 4th of November you have ordered one or more Argosy mobile video 500 GB HDDs HV356TB.

Unfortunately a small number of the HDDs were delayed and will be shipped on the 14th of November. We expect you will receive the HDDs by the end of next week.

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and the extra delay."

Has anyone recieved theirs yet or got this mail ??

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

@ Evil_Clown

I got that mail but quite frankly I wasn't expecting delivery for another 2-3 weeks given previous purchases from Ibood. If it arrives at the end of next week I'll be laughing!!! :D

Pyridine wrote: »
    @ Evil_Clown

I got that mail but quite frankly I wasn't expecting delivery for another 2-3 weeks given previous purchases from Ibood. If it arrives at the end of next week I'll be laughing!!! :D

LOL agreed, thats one thing about iBood, decent stuff, usually a good price, but the shipping times have always been ridiculous. at least this time they are telling us there is a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

got that mail as well...

despite getting this from their customer service yesterday.

Dear,
    thank you for your email. We have checked the status of your order and can register that the items are currently awaiting shipment. The item will be dispatched later this week. We expect delivery of the item beginning of next week.
    If you have any more questions do not hestitate to ask us at customerservice@ibood.com
    Kind regards,
    Customer service iBOOD.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah, got that mail too. Just as well I am in no rush. I had always held off ordering from IBOOD based on the feedback here about their delivery. I gave them a chance on this occassion and it hasn't worked out. Sadly for IBOOD, I don't do second chances, not when there is so much choice and competition out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Got the mail about the delay as well.
    Was so shocked I nearly collapsed!!!
    They are normally so quick with deliveries!!!!!

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Yeah, got that mail too. Just as well I am in no rush. I had always held off ordering from IBOOD based on the feedback here about their delivery. I gave them a chance on this occassion and it hasn't worked out. Sadly for IBOOD, I don't do second chances, not when there is so much choice and competition out there.

I wouldn't consider this a deal-breaker for iBood. So long as you know that there will be a delay (and you know if you order - there wil be a delay!), then i dont have a problem with it. I even looked into ordering one of these Argosy hard drives directly from the Argosy website a few weeks before this showed up in iBood and it was considerably more expensive to buy directly from them than it was to buy from iBood! so OK they are slow, just dont buy something for someones birthday or something, and you are sorted ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

I dont understand that either, if you say you read feedback then surely you must have been prepared for a delay?

If you need something straight away walk into a high street shop, dont buy off the internet. If youre ordering off the internet you have to be prepared for delays.

Advertisement